Surin vs Buriram

whocares99

If you drive around Buriram you will notice how modern the city is with good facilities. Conversely if you drive around Surin you will see old traffic lights where you can't distinguish between green or red- just a pale grey color. Most of the lights are old in the city center.

Also, there are a lot of canal roads with no safety barriers. Ironically these roads are located where all the uni bars operate. I often see cars that have ended up in the canal. One of the most dangerous roads just out of town is that area near the 2 universities- the intersection just past the petrol station. There are numerous fatalities there year round.

I don't know why the old dinosaurs in city hall can't spend some money and upgrade the facilities. Last year I met the governor and his deputy at a function and raised these issues. All I got from my suggestions was silence and a blank look. 

I’ve heard from numerous different sources that in order to get anything done in Surin (development wise) one has to pull out the wallet. This is from locals who have lived and operated their businesses in the city for 20 to 30 yrs.

Surin could be as developed as Buriram if the management at city hall were replaced with a younger dynamic management team. I presume this will never happen until the old boys in their fancy uniforms at city hall retire or perish.

What’s your opinion?

Cheers

It is interesting to see just how fast Buriram has developed, when I first moved to Thailand Surin was the place to go for shopping and farang food. Now for me Buriram is the better place to visit, it has become a vibrant well equipped modern city.

I live on the border, one of the wife's farms is split between Buriram and Surin. The roads, hospital and police in this area are better in Surin province than Buriram, so maybe Buriram's money is spent on its capital and Surins is spread about the province. Possibly the biggest difference has been Newin Chidchob who has invested so much in Buriram.

The race track has been the real clincher re bringing the monied from Bangkok. For a town, It isn't really a city, of its size it has done very well especially compared to the much larger Surin. Quite impressed by the new uni accomodation being built. As far as sustainability is concerned we will have to wait and see. 

There's still alot of talk of Nang Rong becoming a province but I remember this being talked about 10 ago. Looking at Nang Rong now compared to 10/15 years ago and its not just Buriram that has upgraded its amenities.

Buriram seems to have change since I lived there in the 1990's.

Small town with very little infrastructure.

Yes I know who the Main Man is, very notorious back then.

From what I can gather he has brought big money to town, Chang Beer, Football and racing Circuit.

Bought a new bungalow for B15,500 in 91 can't imagine what it would go for now.

Must ask ex.

john

Archived