Belfast couple raped and robbed on holiday from hell in Phuket

Jonathan Fairfield

Belfast couple raped and robbed on holiday from hell

phuket.jpg

Their attackers stole more than £400 and two iPhones before subjecting the couple to a horrific sexual assault

A Belfast couple who were robbed and raped during a Christmas holiday in Thailand have spoken about their "terrifying" ordeal.

Gerald Drumgoole and his husband Michael Burnett were attacked on a night out in Phuket after their drinks were spiked.

Their attackers stole more than £400 and two iPhones belonging to the couple, before subjecting them to a horrific sexual assault.

Gerald and Michael - both 33 - returned to Belfast on Wednesday before undergoing medical tests with their own GP which confirmed they had been raped.

Full story: http://www.belfastlive.co.uk/news/belfast-news/belfast-couple-raped-robbed-holiday-12453200#ICID=FB-Belfast-main

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I call BS on the whole story.

Allegedly drugged, raped and robbed of all their money (and phones) on New Years Eve. 

Spend 5 days trying to get their insurance provider to tell them which hospital to go to. (<deleted> !??!).

Finally go to a hospital that (allegedly) wouldn't accept their insurance paperwork, then their insurance company tells them to go to a "private" hospital.

"On the fifth day my family back in Belfast got in touch with the British Embassy in Bangkok and we finally got sent to a hospital, but the hospital wouldn't accept our insurance documents. We then got sent to a private hospital, which insurance companies don't usually do, but because of our case they got us into this facility. The insurance company also said they would cover all charges, because they knew we had no money after being robbed."

So their insurance company gets them into this "private" hospital and agrees to cover all their costs, but then tells them to skip out on the bill?

("Gerald also claimed OUL Direct told the couple to leave the hospital without paying, as long as they still had possession of their passports.")

The police in Phuket just laughed at their story and said it happens all the time ?!?!?

(Uh huh. Conveniently that means no police report and no local news report apparently.)

They returned to Ireland on the 11th and, 11 days after the alleged incident, their doctor was still able to confirm they'd been raped ?!??!?

Funny how they only seem to be pissed off about their insurance provider though. Not overly upset about being raped/robbed. Not overly upset about the Thai police allegedly laughing at them. Supposedly someone drugs 2 men in a bar, gets them out of the bar, (presumably) rapes/robs them and dumps them somewhere (details very vague) and their main beef is with their insurance provider.

I wonder what the CCTV images from their hotel would show. I wonder if they, like previous alleged rape victims, skipped out on their hotel bill. I wonder if maybe they just blew all their money (literally) and then sold some BS story to the newspaper to try and recoup some of it. 

(There are organizations in the UK that offer to pay people's vacation costs if they have a "good" story to tell that the organization can then spice up and resell to other media outlets).

39 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Irish, why bring bin politics here?

Somehow I think there are some very big holes in this story.

Yes, thats because its  a news summary.

These guys are claiming to have been robbed and raped. Everything should be done to catch the people that did it. Your comment is simply moronic.

I never understand Thailand. When you hear stories like this where the police just dont give a shit well Thailand is going to keep suffering falls in tourism and its reputation just continues to decline.

I hope these guys can just get on with life and put it behind them.

4 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

Allegedly drugged, raped and robbed of all their money (and phones) on New Years Eve. 

Spend 5 days trying to get their insurance provider to tell them which hospital to go to. (<deleted> !??!).

Finally go to a (private) hospital that (allegedly) wouldn't accept their insurance paperwork. "On the fifth day my family back in Belfast got in touch with the British Embassy in Bangkok and we finally got sent to a hospital, but the hospital wouldn't accept our insurance documents. We then got sent to a private hospital, which insurance companies don't usually do, but because of our case they got us into this facility. The insurance company also said they would cover all charges, because they knew we had no money after being robbed."

So their insurance company gets them into this "private" hospital, that won't accept their insurance documents ?

Then their insurance provider tells them to skip out on paying their hospital bill ? ("Gerald also claimed OUL Direct told the couple to leave the hospital without paying, as long as they still had possession of their passports.")

The police in Phuket just laughed at their story and said it happens all the time ?!?!?

Uh huh. Conveniently that means no police report and no local news report apparently.

They returned to Ireland on the 11th and, 11 days after the alleged incident, their doctor was still able to confirm they'd been raped ?!??!?

Funny how they only seem to be pissed off about their insurance provider though. Not overly upset about being raped/robbed. Not overly upset about the Thai police allegedly laughing at them. Supposedly someone drugs 2 men in a bar, gets them out of the bar, (presumably) rapes/robs them and dumps them somewhere (details very vague) and their main beef is with their insurance provider.

I wonder what the CCTV images from their hotel would show. I wonder if they, like previous alleged rape victims, skipped out on their hotel bill. I wonder if maybe they just blew all their money (literally) and then sold some BS story to the newspaper to try and recoup some of it. 

(There are organizations in the UK that offer to pay people's vacation costs if they have a "good" story to tell that the organization can then spice up and resell to other media outlets).

I agree, sounds like an insurance scam etc. Some big holes in the story. Did they wake up in their own room or elsewhere, or even together ? The money and phones were stolen then they were raped, how do they know the specific order things happend in if they were drugged ? police would respond to the crime and do a report, even if its only cash and phones stolen.

16 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

Finally go to a (private) hospital that (allegedly) wouldn't accept their insurance paperwork. "On the fifth day my family back in Belfast got in touch with the British Embassy in Bangkok and we finally got sent to a hospital, but the hospital wouldn't accept our insurance documents. We then got sent to a private hospital, which insurance companies don't usually do, but because of our case they got us into this facility. The insurance company also said they would cover all charges, because they knew we had no money after being robbed."

So their insurance company gets them into this "private" hospital, that won't accept their insurance documents ?

Then their insurance provider tells them to skip out on paying their hospital bill ? ("Gerald also claimed OUL Direct told the couple to leave the hospital without paying, as long as they still had possession of their passports.")

Uh huh. Conveniently that means no police report and no local news report apparently.

The 2 who were raped I assume did not write the story, in this case 2 men have been raped and robbed. You give them the benefit of the doubt in this instance.

you obviously have nothing better to do then view tragic events like this with cynisism, so many bitter and twisted old farts on this forum. get a life.

The woman and THE MAN were raped? this is very, very rare and unheard of in this country of male being raped while in the company of a woman that the culprits could have had her, Not sure what to make of this story, it could be true, albeit very far fetched one.....

2 minutes ago, ezzra said:

The woman and THE MAN were raped? this is very, very rare

and unheard of in this country

of male being raped while in the company of a woman that the culprits

could have had her,

Not sure what to make of this story, it could be true, albeit very far fetched

one.....

Maybe re-read the article. Both people are MALE.

1 hour ago, ezzra said:

The woman and THE MAN were raped? this is very, very rare and unheard of in this country of male being raped while in the company of a woman that the culprits could have had her, Not sure what to make of this story, it could be true, albeit very far fetched one.....

Ezra, it was a man and a man. It seems quite likely they were out for a good time in a gay bar on New Year's Eve and things got out of control. Who knows what really happened?

9 minutes ago, chickin said:

Yeah. Modus operandi; People just go to Thailand and make up stories about being raped and robbed. Makes a load of sense. 

Its called insurance fraud, claim a coupe of iphones, cash and some medical expenses and pay for the holiday.

Archived