Belfast couple raped and robbed on holiday from hell in Phuket

Jonathan Fairfield

30 minutes ago, GAZZPA said:

The 2 who were raped I assume did not write the story, in this case 2 men have been raped and robbed. You give them the benefit of the doubt in this instance.

you obviously have nothing better to do then view tragic events like this with cynisism, so many bitter and twisted old farts on this forum. get a life.

We only want the truth and it seems that they are stretching it. There is no way a GP can confirm rape 2 weeks after it happened and why did they not report this while in Thailand. Why wait 2 weeks to report this serious crime. Why keep the trauma inside for 2 weeks instead of getting treatment. Why go to a GP to prove rape instead on councelling?

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, ezzra said:

The woman and THE MAN were raped? this is very, very rare

and unheard of in this country

of male being raped while in the company of a woman that the culprits

could have had her,

Not sure what to make of this story, it could be true, albeit very far fetched

one.....

Man and his husband, same sex marriage was legalised in Ireland a year or so ago.

When I have a serious medical problem I go to the hospital. Usually the closest hospital. I don't have medical insurance. When I check in they ask me who will pay and I say that I will pay. (Regardless if I have the money or not. I have a medical emergency. At the time, that is all I am thinking about. ) Then they take care of my problem.

I do NOT wander around for five days trying to decide WHICH hospital I will go to.

Here we have two gay men who claim that they have been raped. They waited five days to go to a hospital in Thailand. Presumably, several more days before they go to their own doctor in Ireland. Seven days? Eight days? Didn't they bath or shower during that time? Evidence of rape? What? Signs of anal penetration?  From a married gay couple? I'd hope so. Proof of rape? What proof? DNA tests take weeks. They aren't done in a doctor's office.

It doesn't add up.

Rape does happen all too often. And police ignore it all too often. But then, they become quite cynical because they see false complaints all too often as well. So do we.

1 minute ago, SOUTHERNSTAR said:

We only want the truth and it seems that they are stretching it. There is no way a GP can confirm rape 2 weeks after it happened and why did they not report this while in Thailand. Why wait 2 weeks to report this serious crime. Why keep the trauma inside for 2 weeks instead of getting treatment. Why go to a GP to prove rape instead on councelling?

Look, some people are habitually programmed to view news summaries of rape with cynicism. This is just a summary, and I for one will view it as a tragic crime first and foremost as everyone should, including the Police.

Nothing else to add, be happy.

44 minutes ago, GAZZPA said:

Yes, thats because its  a news summary.

These guys are claiming to have been robbed and raped. Everything should be done to catch the people that did it. Your comment is simply moronic.

I never understand Thailand. When you hear stories like this where the police just dont give a shit well Thailand is going to keep suffering falls in tourism and its reputation just continues to decline.

I hope these guys can just get on with life and put it behind them.

Their reputation is declining but apparently each year tourism numbers are smashing the previous years numbers.

23 minutes ago, Canceraid said:

Wow, both getting raped...plus they are both around 33 years of age.........I really cannot believe it sorry, if they were younger, yes possible...but seriously unless the attackers were really fetish ...no way.

There are some people here in their 40’s who consider themselves still attractive!

Live by the sword………

1 minute ago, KarenBravo said:

It's in Northern Island which is part of the United Kingdom.

The remainder of Ireland is called Eire and is a separate country.

Yes I know that. But it's still Ireland.

I'm from London but I still say I live England not UK

1 hour ago, GAZZPA said:

These guys are claiming to have been robbed and raped. Everything should be done to catch the people that did it. Your comment is simply moronic.

I never understand Thailand. When you hear stories like this where the police just dont give a shit well Thailand is going to keep suffering falls in tourism and its reputation just continues to decline.

This KerryD guy sounds like a hard case.    He's saying the whole thing is make-believe, based on a news summary.

Time will tell.

9 minutes ago, KarenBravo said:

It's in Northern Island which is part of the United Kingdom.

The remainder of Ireland is called Eire and is a separate country.

There is the Republic of Ireland (officially named Ireland.... or "Éire" in Irish) and Northern Ireland, which is part of the United Kingdom, in the northeast of the island.  

1 hour ago, GAZZPA said:

id like to know how people get their selves in all these bad situations?????????????

Of course none of us know yet exactly what happened in this case, but it is amazing how often Thai supporters on here still seem to expect the police to fully investigate alleged crimes like this when no money is involved and when they know the alleged victims will soon be leaving the country.  It also has to be borne in mind that even two openly gay (married men would be unlikely to regard all this as welcome publicity.   If untrue, what exactly have these two men gained from the reported crime and resulting publicity?

Admittedly, the story as reported is incomplete and a bit confusing, but we all recognise by now that the standard of reporting (and English translations) on here are not all they could be, so an open mind might not go amiss at this stage.  Let us hope that the media will keep us informed of the eventual outcome, even though the authorities will no doubt do their best to keep it as quiet as possible for the usual reason of avoiding at any cost any damage to the God of tourism.

1 hour ago, Kerryd said:

I call BS on the whole story.

Allegedly drugged, raped and robbed of all their money (and phones) on New Years Eve. 

Spend 5 days trying to get their insurance provider to tell them which hospital to go to. (<deleted> !??!).

Finally go to a hospital that (allegedly) wouldn't accept their insurance paperwork, then their insurance company tells them to go to a "private" hospital.

"On the fifth day my family back in Belfast got in touch with the British Embassy in Bangkok and we finally got sent to a hospital, but the hospital wouldn't accept our insurance documents. We then got sent to a private hospital, which insurance companies don't usually do, but because of our case they got us into this facility. The insurance company also said they would cover all charges, because they knew we had no money after being robbed."

So their insurance company gets them into this "private" hospital and agrees to cover all their costs, but then tells them to skip out on the bill?

("Gerald also claimed OUL Direct told the couple to leave the hospital without paying, as long as they still had possession of their passports.")

The police in Phuket just laughed at their story and said it happens all the time ?!?!?

(Uh huh. Conveniently that means no police report and no local news report apparently.)

They returned to Ireland on the 11th and, 11 days after the alleged incident, their doctor was still able to confirm they'd been raped ?!??!?

Funny how they only seem to be pissed off about their insurance provider though. Not overly upset about being raped/robbed. Not overly upset about the Thai police allegedly laughing at them. Supposedly someone drugs 2 men in a bar, gets them out of the bar, (presumably) rapes/robs them and dumps them somewhere (details very vague) and their main beef is with their insurance provider.

I wonder what the CCTV images from their hotel would show. I wonder if they, like previous alleged rape victims, skipped out on their hotel bill. I wonder if maybe they just blew all their money (literally) and then sold some BS story to the newspaper to try and recoup some of it. 

(There are organizations in the UK that offer to pay people's vacation costs if they have a "good" story to tell that the organization can then spice up and resell to other media outlets).

Your response makes no sense. I think you are secretly feeling delight at the horror these guys went through. As another poster has pointed out, these guys did not write the article. You cannot accuse them on the writings of a journalist.

I know one gay guy that this happened to in Bangkok although he was not badly injured. Another day I was in Bumrungrad hospital visiting a friend. The guy [straight]  in next bed had the same happen to him but he was horribly beaten up as well.

As for the police laughing at them. Well I was robbed once and when I reported it to the police they just sat me on a bench where I had to wait for an hour. A filthy demented derelict came in raving and not knowing I can speak Thai, they told him to sit next to me and talk to me which he did. The whole police station were in stitches laughing at me. When I spoke Thai they all lost face and threw me out of the station without taking my report. That was at Tungmahamek Station in Suan Plu.

You don't know what you are on about.

Archived