Belfast couple raped and robbed on holiday from hell in Phuket

Jonathan Fairfield

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply
41 minutes ago, OnTheRun said:

How can a doctor confirm they've been raped two weeks after the fact? Especially given at least one of them will have an @##e like a wizards sleeve.

There would have had to have been some major physical damage and a prior history of  infrequent to no anal intercourse. Serious ripping/tearing would have created a state of infection. These men would have been hospitalized in serious condition. It is improbable that minor damage could be identified  after a few days had passed.

27 minutes ago, oby said:

i would also claim BS to the story.

2017 and any rape victim, male/female/gay/straight would demand at minimum tests for STD's immediately.

blah, blah, blah

??cctv from bar, hotel, guesthouse??

they would know blood tests for date rape drugs need to be done immediately.

and waiting 11 days to wait for tests is beyond comprehension

Thai hospitals  can be  unfriendly and not respectful of sexual assault victims. The lack of empathy and even ridicule discourages victims from seeking help. It's humiliating for male victims. One need only look at the hurtful comments made by some. That being said, most western males, if they were gang banged  by unknown assailants, would seek out immediate treatment  and  demand a preventative course of  drugs to reduce the risk of HIV infection. It takes time to culture swabs. A reliable diagnosis of an STI takes days.

1 hour ago, BruceMangosteen said:

I've only read page one of this story and am sick of it already. That's why we can skip the other four pages and not complain about it. No one is forced to read such vial and disgusting stuff on the internet. Have a nice day mates. 

No need to bother reading the other pages, they just repeat what was said on the first. There must be at least ten posts pointing out that Belfast is in the UK for starters.

14 minutes ago, Stupooey said:

Unfortunate for whom?

Any adopted children of a homosexual couple, any sensible person knows the reasons. I have no objection to homosexuals as long as their goings on is done in private.

Let me put forward a hypothetical scenario. The couple partied hard on new years eve and had unsafe sex. Next day went to a private clinic and started PEP Post Exposure Prophylaxis treatment, (morning after treatment if you may have been exposed to HIV). This procedure is quiet expensive. "AND" not covered by travel insurance (the fine print says dont ride motorbikes without a licence, dont have unsafe sex, dont skydive). After a couple of contacts (over 5 days) with the insurance company they realized not covered. 

Make up a story about being drugged and raped, tell it to the papers and force the insurance company to pay up.

Purely hypothetical. 

21 hours ago, KarenBravo said:

Maybe re-read the article. Both people are MALE.

Yes, I got confused when I first read the news. So it's a gay couple all right. No, I am not against gay. Just that the news is very vague, couldn't make out what is what. Bad English(not people I mean language).

1 hour ago, The man from udon said:

Gerald and his husband,that makes them both male.do you not know two males can marry nowdays.

Interestingly, the current UK Ambassador to Thailand is in a same-sex marriage. Each partner refers to the other as their husband.

9 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Any adopted children of a homosexual couple, any sensible person knows the reasons. I have no objection to homosexuals as long as their goings on is done in private.

Glad I'm not sensible then.

36 minutes ago, Oziex1 said:

Some seem concerned on the insurance/money angle being prominent in this story, I doubt the victims saw it that way perhaps the Thai writer sees this as a priority a highlight of the incident.

That would make sense to me as there certainly seems to be an obsession with money in Thailand.

"... perhaps the Thai writer...". 

Which "Thai writer"?   A Gareth Fullerton wrote the article.

5 hours ago, TankerWeams said:

Gerald is clearly short for Geraldine. How can they both be male, the article said they were married .

TankerWan  in many developed countries same sex marriage is allowed.  And don't say, "Really???" now

PLUS it says Gerald and HIS husband.  Some of you try reading the article, before commenting.  If they were drugged (with a roofie), they wouldn't necessarily know what was going on.

AND.... in keeping with what appears to be the continually sliding I.Q. of posters to this story. Stupid question #100. " Roofies?? How were they drugged with tradesmen who install house roofs " ..groan...

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

I do not take delight in the idea of anyone being raped or robbed and it's pathetic to even think so.

However I do like living in reality and seeing things with a clear mind, not clouded by obvious bias like some people here. 

The story screams of BS and if you can't see that then maybe it's you that needs to give your head a shake, instead of just assuming "Oh, they are fellow countrymen so there's no way they'd make up a BS story like that, especially not for mere money ! It must be all true and Thailand is to blame for everything".

(And for those of you trying to put on airs, pish-poshing with your noses up and pinky fingers extended at the thought that someone from the UK would actually stoop to selling made up stories for money, here's your chance to do the same: National Story Seller UK or: Cash 4 Your Story UK. Those are just 2 of many. It's not the first time someone has sold a BS story about something that supposedly happened on a trip to Thailand. Won't be the last time either. The key is to have a hook that makes it worth publishing in the tabloids, but omit or gloss over details that could show the story to be total BS.)

The instant they claimed that after discovering they'd been robbed/raped they spent the next 5 days emailing their insurance company to find out which hospital to go to, you know their story was full of ****. You don't wait 5 days before going to the hospital, you go immediately and worry about your coverage when you get there. Unless of course you have something in your system you don't want the doctors to know about.........

When they said they returned to Ireland and their GP confirmed (11 or 12 days after the fact) they'd been raped, you know their story was full of crap. Any evidence of forced sex would either be long gone by then or indistinguishable from regular anal intercourse (which you would presume a married gay couple would probably engage in).

When they said their insurance company would cover the all the costs because it knew they were broke, yet they managed to spend 11 days running around Phuket doing (whatever) until flying home on the 11th, it sounded like more BS. Hard to live for 11 days in Thailand with no money at all.

When they said their insurance company told them to skip out on their hospital bill because they still had their passports ? Yeah, right. 

When they went to a local, online, media outlet instead of the police (or even a mainstream media outlet) to tell their story, you know they are full of crap. Like those Aussie women that claimed one of them had been raped and that was why the 3 of them had to leave their hotel in the middle of the night, without paying their bill, and fly back to Oz where they did what ? Told their story to some media rag instead of the police. (The Thai police were not too impressed, especially after CCTV footage showed a very different story from what the woman claimed had happened.)

Note how, upon returning home this couple didn't go to the police either. They claim they went to their GP and then to some minor little online media outlet. 

Read the story ! It's in ENGLISH, by an English speaking reporter working for a Belfast web-news site ! There is no issue with "translation" or "culture". Note that throughout the story, the only problem they apparently have is with their insurance company ! 

I've sent an email to the media outlet (Belfast Live) to see what they have to say about the article. It will be telling to see if they even answer. Too bad this wasn't it Pattaya because I'd be severely tempted to go talk to the local cops. I think they wouldn't be too impressed with the story. And isn't there usually reporters from one news outlet or another always hanging around the police stations ? They write up almost every little thing that happens, from drunks getting pick-pocketed by lady boys to Iranians getting beaten in their hotel rooms (by lady boys) and every pickpocket/purse and necklace snatch story that come along.

Surely a story of the double rape of a married (gay) Irish couple would have been headline news !

I mean, if that couple had of actually gone to the police at all of course. 

3 hours ago, swbaggies said:

If and it's a big if it is an insurance fraud there is no need for that Rape story and additional parts to the story.  A simple mugging would of been an easier lie to remember and sell so unless anyone has any evidence to the contrary how about showing some compassion. 

Take the "rape" out of the equation and what have you got left of the story ?

Two gay guys went back to a hotel room with two ladyboys and woke up the next morning with all their possessions gone .

No insults meant and also no racism meant. So apologies in advance if my posting upsets anyone. But really, Asians ie thais raping two farangs in their thirties......sorry but have you seen how big most farangs are when they are already in their late twenties....their waist sizes are HUGE.....I do not think any Asian ore thai guy will get turned on raping huge waistlines........its like try to screw a buffalo or a cow...sorry.....plus there are lots of slim and sexy Asians around be it guys or gals. I really think the whole story is fake.

I always stay at in a hotel that has a safe in the room.

the first thing I do is put 3000 baht is cash and my credit card in the safe so if I am lucky enough to get raped, drugged and robbed (in that order) by two bar girls I still have some cash to fall back on.  

lets assume the story is true.

so some gay guys partied (in a gay bar?) with some other gay Thai men or ladyboys near by (?) who drugged them and stole all their stuff. Then raped them. They may be very good looking in shape gay guys. Same thing can happen to Farang women.

"On the night we were attacked Michael and I decided to go out for some drinks to celebrate New Year's Eve. We had a beer in one bar and then moved on to another. It was in the second bar that our drinks were spiked with a date-rape drug.

"After that we can't remember anything. It was only well after the attack took place that we realised that we had been attacked and raped."

But where did they wake up? In the bar? In the short time room up stairs?

That does not sound right to me. "Good morning. Check bin?"    

and how many times does this happen to straight men in Pattaya or Bangkok?

It is not common (except it happens in your room and for the rape part) because you are with a woman. (you hope)

What I don't understand is why they could not get replacement credit cards or (if no phone) send a email to friends or family and wire money via Western Union or emergency cash via a credit card company. Or send the money to the hospital directly via Western Union.   

And of course the are going to be laughed at by the BIB. they have no respect for gays.

Insurance companies? You are on your own.

Anyway, let this story be a lesson to tourists to think about emergency cash, credit card replacement, having a second cheap cellphone to party with, the down side of bars in questionable areas in Thailand, drinking, getting beat up, raped, hit by a mini van crossing the street and not to expect much help from the police.  

16 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

I do not take delight in the idea of anyone being raped or robbed and it's pathetic to even think so.

However I do like living in reality and seeing things with a clear mind, not clouded by obvious bias like some people here. 

The story screams of BS and if you can't see that then maybe it's you that needs to give your head a shake, instead of just assuming "Oh, they are fellow countrymen so there's no way they'd make up a BS story like that, especially not for mere money ! It must be all true and Thailand is to blame for everything".

(And for those of you trying to put on airs, pish-poshing with your noses up and pinky fingers extended at the thought that someone from the UK would actually stoop to selling made up stories for money, here's your chance to do the same: National Story Seller UK or: Cash 4 Your Story UK. Those are just 2 of many. It's not the first time someone has sold a BS story about something that supposedly happened on a trip to Thailand. Won't be the last time either. The key is to have a hook that makes it worth publishing in the tabloids, but omit or gloss over details that could show the story to be total BS.)

The instant they claimed that after discovering they'd been robbed/raped they spent the next 5 days emailing their insurance company to find out which hospital to go to, you know their story was full of ****. You don't wait 5 days before going to the hospital, you go immediately and worry about your coverage when you get there. Unless of course you have something in your system you don't want the doctors to know about.........

When they said they returned to Ireland and their GP confirmed (11 or 12 days after the fact) they'd been raped, you know their story was full of crap. Any evidence of forced sex would either be long gone by then or indistinguishable from regular anal intercourse (which you would presume a married gay couple would probably engage in).

When they said their insurance company would cover the all the costs because it knew they were broke, yet they managed to spend 11 days running around Phuket doing (whatever) until flying home on the 11th, it sounded like more BS. Hard to live for 11 days in Thailand with no money at all.

When they said their insurance company told them to skip out on their hospital bill because they still had their passports ? Yeah, right. 

When they went to a local, online, media outlet instead of the police (or even a mainstream media outlet) to tell their story, you know they are full of crap. Like those Aussie women that claimed one of them had been raped and that was why the 3 of them had to leave their hotel in the middle of the night, without paying their bill, and fly back to Oz where they did what ? Told their story to some media rag instead of the police. (The Thai police were not too impressed, especially after CCTV footage showed a very different story from what the woman claimed had happened.)

Note how, upon returning home this couple didn't go to the police either. They claim they went to their GP and then to some minor little online media outlet. 

Read the story ! It's in ENGLISH, by an English speaking reporter working for a Belfast web-news site ! There is no issue with "translation" or "culture". Note that throughout the story, the only problem they apparently have is with their insurance company ! 

I've sent an email to the media outlet (Belfast Live) to see what they have to say about the article. It will be telling to see if they even answer. Too bad this wasn't it Pattaya because I'd be severely tempted to go talk to the local cops. I think they wouldn't be too impressed with the story. And isn't there usually reporters from one news outlet or another always hanging around the police stations ? They write up almost every little thing that happens, from drunks getting pick-pocketed by lady boys to Iranians getting beaten in their hotel rooms (by lady boys) and every pickpocket/purse and necklace snatch story that come along.

Surely a story of the double rape of a married (gay) Irish couple would have been headline news !

I mean, if that couple had of actually gone to the police at all of course. 

Confirmation of the Rape could be an sti test not bruising or anal damage.  If they didn't consent to sex and they were both sti free prior then this would confirm an unwanted sex act took place,  so the dates can be explained too

Just the sort of story that gets the homophobes posting.  This is all over the news here in the UK but so far no links to terrorists or Muslims.  Sorry guys.  Still a good opportunity for some no doubt.

In reality it is a reflection of what tourists can expect in Thailand these days.

15 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Take the "rape" out of the equation and what have you got left of the story ?

Two gay guys went back to a hotel room with two ladyboys and woke up the next morning with all their possessions gone .

And what more is needed for the insurance claim? 

They didn't go to hospital in Thailand so no hospital bills and would not of been billed in the UK. 

So what advantage does it have to a claim for possessions that you were raped? 

4 minutes ago, swbaggies said:

Confirmation of the Rape could be an sti test not bruising or anal damage.  If they didn't consent to sex and they were both sti free prior then this would confirm an unwanted sex act took place,  so the dates can be explained too

Since according to the article those tests are on the way, your explanation is doubtful at best.

5 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

I agree, sounds like an insurance scam etc. Some big holes in the story. Did they wake up in their own room or elsewhere, or even together ? The money and phones were stolen then they were raped, how do they know the specific order things happend in if they were drugged ? police would respond to the crime and do a report, even if its only cash and phones stolen.

1.Use your heads when reading these  ahem " stories." Each case is different but as  an example I am  covered by Gov insurance from USA (not SS) which when I am overseas  they would like to know in advance what hospital your going to as they have  policies with certain ones however if it is an emergency you can go to any hospital. I had a heart attck and went to Vibahvadi private hospital in BKK . They operated fixed me up (great job) they had called number on my ins card and were told they would be paid for services however when it came time to leave they said I could not leave till bill was paid. This is actually illegal as later told to me by tourist police . My sister-in-law paid the bill and I rembursed her when money was paid by insurance. Was told by poice that next time call them as hospital cannot force you to stay (kidnapping) but can sue you for assets in Thailand and make you sign a letter acknowleding your debt and promise to pay.

2. Always hear these stories they got robbed of all their cash stuff. So what?  Can't have parents (which they said notified embassy they needed a hosp) send them cash to their hotel?  Use a credit card to get funds? I lost credit card I had Citi bank fed ex a new card to main branch in BKK and picked it up in 3 days. Some cards will wire you emergency cash .

3. No reporting to friends back home as maybe they didn't want to be outed as a supposedly  happily married gay couple who came over to "party" in Thailand in gay bars and those they picked up drugged and took advantage of them.

4. I think insurance company can still reimburse them for services done to them even if they already paid hosp. Just need the bills. Just like what happened to me my sis-in-law paid right then but insurance paid me directly after bill was already paid to hospital and I gave the money to her.

5. Too many irregularities in this story.

2 minutes ago, swbaggies said:

And what more is needed for the insurance claim? 

They didn't go to hospital in Thailand so no hospital bills and would not of been billed in the UK. 

So what advantage does it have to a claim for possessions that you were raped? 

They did go to a Hospital in Thailand and there was a bill to be paid .

If they said it was all consensual,  they let people stay in their hotel room, that would void the insurance claim . 

Their "insurance" issues are over the insurance companies failure to cover the costs of the Thai hospital.  They did go to the police who said that it was not uncommon for this to happen in Thailand and laughed it off.  Still let's just stick to what you all want to believe.

Archived