Belfast couple raped and robbed on holiday from hell in Phuket

Jonathan Fairfield

10 hours ago, ezzra said:

The woman and THE MAN were raped? this is very, very rare and unheard of in this country of male being raped while in the company of a woman that the culprits could have had her, Not sure what to make of this story, it could be true, albeit very far fetched one.....

No. They were a couple of homosexuals.

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Toronto said:

This is rubbish. Two men in their early 30s were sodomized against their will? Overcome so powerfully by an inhibitor! There's not a drug invented that could make me succumb to such a heinous crime.  And who would be so ill to perpetrate such an attack???  This is totally false. 

they said they were drugged, believe me you would be knockd out with the right dosage. 

More and more disappointed. Especially with the level of TV members. Isn't it horrific enough, this ordeal? If it was "just an insurance scam" why go through the shame of proving to have been raped? And I don't give a rats ass if it was two men or whatever. Two HUMAN BEINGS were assaulted, drugged, raped and robbed. Where's the empathy? 

6 hours ago, Trentham said:

Another thing perhaps you should know is that rape is not only about sex.

It is about power as well.

Power/control can certainly be part of the equation in some cases, but it can't explain why more than 50% of female rape victims are under the age of 20 (http://www.livescience.com/37024-sex-assault-young-attractive.html). Rape of males is more likely to be driven by power motives (e.g., in prisons) because males compete for dominance...

6 hours ago, Toronto said:

This is rubbish. Two men in their early 30s were sodomized against their will? Overcome so powerfully by an inhibitor! There's not a drug invented that could make me succumb to such a heinous crime.  And who would be so ill to perpetrate such an attack???  This is totally false. 

A lot of ignorant & bizarre posts in this thread as expected but yours takes the cake perhaps. Can't remember a single person that ever claimed they could not be put under by Rohypnol/Propofol or any other strong anesthetic.  Congratulations, Superman - do make sure to report yourself to science.

6 minutes ago, mrdome said:

A lot of ignorant & bizarre posts in this thread as expected but yours takes the cake perhaps. Can't remember a single person that ever claimed they could not be put under by Rohypnol/Propofol or any other strong anesthetic.  Congratulations, Superman - do make sure to report yourself to science.

Yes, homophobia apparently effects logic. 

16 hours ago, ezzra said:

The woman and THE MAN were raped? this is very, very rare and unheard of in this country of male being raped while in the company of a woman that the culprits could have had her, Not sure what to make of this story, it could be true, albeit very far fetched one.....

Ezzra.... They were BOTH MALES, Gerald and Michael.

Hope you can get your head around that point and grasp the general thrust of the situation.

17 hours ago, ezzra said:

" Gerald Drumgoole and his husband Michael Burnett "

Gerald and Michael, which is the woman?

Same sex couple as far as I have read the story? Mr & Mr.
What did I miss?

I agree a bit unusual, but it doesn't say where they were and what they were up to... Far too vague to take as more than an insurance scam.

Needs a large pinch of salt to swallow this one I think....

Man the dregs of TV posters jumped on this topic.

Sad to believe this story is true and this is the real LOS.

Sad to see so many haters or folks who cant comprehend in English posting away... Man and his husband... is evidently above and beyond some of your comprehention. 

Why do some of you inspectors always jump to the  insurance scam conclusion? 

Don't get me wrong.  I have many questions too.  How injured were they?  How much was the hospital bill? Did they have ability to do daily ATM withdraws to pay for living expenses before they left LOS?

How does a DR determine rape if a condom was used. IF no damage?  Same applies to the recent case of the HISO girl going to the short time hotel.. How did the DR determine no rape?  IF a condom was used?

Its quite obvious many of you guys are still homophobes. Good news is that I was once one too and you can gain humility.  My awakening came when I was gay bashing near a Girlfriend's  friend and she burst out that I wasn't very nice as her brother was gay.  That was my turning point. 

18 hours ago, ezzra said:

Gerald Drumgoole and his husband Michael Burnett.     I took from the article that both are males.

7 hours ago, katana said:

Did a quick search in the Thai language press about this. Nothing turned up.

It seems they didn't go to the press till they got back to Belfast so I don't think you'll see anything about this in the Thai media unless Thai Rath have a resident reporter in Belfast!

British couple say they were 'raped and robbed' in Phuket

Zohaib Sikander

1_2017114103827363_UJXGldaeTOFdrzdQxCbWwGjhyyeIXNXsXuzJYans_jpeg.jpeg

PHUKET: A British couple have alleged that they were robbed and raped while visiting Phuket during the Christmas and New Year’s holidays.

The couple, who were named by Belfast Live as Gerald Drumgoole and Michael Burnett, said they were attacked and robbed of 400 pounds and their iPhones after their drinks were spiked at a Phuket bar on New Year's Eve. However, they did not reveal the name of the bar, the hotel they were staying at, or who they believe was behind the incident.

The couple also added that "Police in Phuket just laughed when we reported our attack. It seems that kind of thing happens regularly," but they have not provided details of where and when the complaint was filed.

“So far, no report of the incident has reached us, but we will 'look into it' further,” Phuket Provincial Police Deputy Commander Peerayuth Karajedee told the Phuket Gazette today.

Belfast Live additionally reports that the couple returned home on Wednesday, where a doctor confirmed that they had been raped.

Full story: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/British-couple-say-were-raped-robbed-Phuket/66130

pgazette_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket Gazette 2017-01-15

23 hours ago, Aachen said:

"Gerald and Michael - both 33 - returned to Belfast on Wednesday before undergoing medical tests with their own GP which confirmed they had been raped. "

Ahem... Interesting...

This report on MSN must have thought it would go further leaving the names of the married couple out of the report to get more bang for the bull  http://www.msn.com/en-ca/travel/news/brit-couple-reveal-how-they-were-drugged-and-raped-on-dream-thailand-holiday/ar-AAlRaQ5?li=AAggNb9

I see the poster,who is convinced that one of them is a woman,when the report clearly states "his HUsband"Then a poster said "they are part of a civil partnership" Ok ,i know that gay marriage has been legal in The UK for some years.My question is this. Can a gay couple have a religious ceremony,carried out by a member of the church(because the bible has something to say about that) or does it have to be a civil marriage(sorry about the oxymoron,but you know what i mean)Please enlighten me,not very up on gay comings and goings.

There was a recent case in the UK in which 4 youngsters died after being slipped  a Mickey Finn. They were victims of a monster they had met on a Gay dating site. Tragic case, all the more so because of police incompetence in linking the cases: 2 of the bodies were discovered in the same church cemetery by the same woman out walking her dog, on different days ( and yet police made no connection).

This case has a smell about it only because the victims are not providing any details of the circumstances, not because it is impossible or even unlikely.

sounds fishy what possible reason could our gents have for not revealing their hotel bar or name as there might be cctv or witnesses who could help. Surely, their insurance co. back home at the very least would ask this question and you would need to tell the police this info too. 

Being devils's advocate, so bear with me on this.  If the gents didnt reveal the bar they were at and hotel to the police, is it any wonder they were laughed at?. Again, pls dont criticise me, I am just hypothesising in the absence of facts, as it did say the bar and hotel wasnt revealed but not by whom it wasnt revealed.

On 1/14/2017 at 1:20 PM, ezzra said:

READ please.....and comprehend.   They were both males!!

No chance of any insurance payout without a Police report.

Very little chance of catching the culprits without providing DNA left behind by them or providing details of the bars you were drinking at or the hotel you were staying in to try and obtain CCTV footage!

No hopers!

On 14/01/2017 at 8:53 AM, Kerryd said:

I call BS on the whole story.

Allegedly drugged, raped and robbed of all their money (and phones) on New Years Eve. 

Spend 5 days trying to get their insurance provider to tell them which hospital to go to. (<deleted> !??!).

Finally go to a hospital that (allegedly) wouldn't accept their insurance paperwork, then their insurance company tells them to go to a "private" hospital.

"On the fifth day my family back in Belfast got in touch with the British Embassy in Bangkok and we finally got sent to a hospital, but the hospital wouldn't accept our insurance documents. We then got sent to a private hospital, which insurance companies don't usually do, but because of our case they got us into this facility. The insurance company also said they would cover all charges, because they knew we had no money after being robbed."

So their insurance company gets them into this "private" hospital and agrees to cover all their costs, but then tells them to skip out on the bill?

("Gerald also claimed OUL Direct told the couple to leave the hospital without paying, as long as they still had possession of their passports.")

The police in Phuket just laughed at their story and said it happens all the time ?!?!?

(Uh huh. Conveniently that means no police report and no local news report apparently.)

They returned to Ireland on the 11th and, 11 days after the alleged incident, their doctor was still able to confirm they'd been raped ?!??!?

Funny how they only seem to be pissed off about their insurance provider though. Not overly upset about being raped/robbed. Not overly upset about the Thai police allegedly laughing at them. Supposedly someone drugs 2 men in a bar, gets them out of the bar, (presumably) rapes/robs them and dumps them somewhere (details very vague) and their main beef is with their insurance provider.

I wonder what the CCTV images from their hotel would show. I wonder if they, like previous alleged rape victims, skipped out on their hotel bill. I wonder if maybe they just blew all their money (literally) and then sold some BS story to the newspaper to try and recoup some of it. 

(There are organizations in the UK that offer to pay people's vacation costs if they have a "good" story to tell that the organization can then spice up and resell to other media outlets).

As far as the police laughing at them, I am sorry you find it unbelievable. I tried to report an assault and threats by four thugs trying to force me and my kids out of our house. Police refused to make a report as I had no photos of the incident and so no police report. Perhaps you should not so readily believe the police are so clean here.

15 hours ago, smotherb said:

Yes, and if you read the article, they did not go to a Thai hospital until several days after the "rape." So, it takes at least another day to get back to Belfast and go see their doctor. I am confused. Perhaps someone could explain how "rape" is proven, especially after several days. I can see sex, or even rough sex, being proven, but rape?

They became suspicious when the billiard balls made an appearance.

Well if the Democrats expected us to believe that Trump groped a woman on a flight, and she didn't didn't report it to the airline, didn't tell her friends, didn't report it to the police, and it all happened 37 years ago, then this story is entirely believable.

That was, of course, along with the multiple other programmed allegations by women against Trump, none of which had been reported to anybody!!!

I have no problem with their claim, but a doctor back home, saying with any conviction, that they had been anally raped 11 days previously, when this may be what happens between them regularly, is a little more difficult to understand.

Archived