BANGKOK 25 June 2019 18:32

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rooster59

Gripen Fighter Jet Crashes at Hat Yai Air Show, Pilot Killed

Griffin Fighter Jet Crashes at Hat Yai Air Show, Pilot Killed

By Khaosod English

SONGKHLA — A Royal Thai Air Force pilot was killed when a jet went down during a Children’s Day air show at an airbase in the southern city of Hat Yai.

The JAS 39 Griffin was maneuvering over the airbase when it appeared to suddenly lose altitude, slam into the ground and explode. The pilot was unable to eject.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crimecourtscalamity/calamity/2017/01/14/griffin-fighter-crashes-hat-yai-pilot-killed/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2017-01-14

Fighter jet crash during airshow in Hat Yai

By The Nation

ddb7aaf89bc3b60ed4a338ab76e5c93a-sld.jpeg

A Gripen fighter jet crashed during airshow in the Children’s Day event in Hat Yai, Songkhla province forcing a temporary closure of the Hat Yai Internatioal airport.

It was expected the airport would be able to reopen before midday today, while Air Vice Marshal Pongsak Semachai, the air force spokesman, said the air force's investigating panel is now gathering evidence to find the cause of the crash.

Full story: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/breakingnews/30304106

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-01-14

Air Force pilot killed in Gripen jet fighter crash at Hat Yai airport

157_Show.jpg

An Air Force pilot was killed when his Gripen jet fighter crashed into the ground during an air show before hundreds of children and their parents at Hat Yai military airport.

The air show was performed to mark the Children’s Day today.

The fatal incident happened about 9.40 am.

It was not immediately known the cause of the crash but the jet fighter was flying above the runway gathered by children and parents.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/air-force-pilot-killed-gripen-jet-fighter-crash-hat-yai-airport/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-01-14

And a fire truck crashed and overturned on the way to the crash site closing the runway......

I do not understand why on a day for children the military have to get so involved. I have just returned from a event in our local town, lots of fun things for the kids to do and then solders with M16 rifles. 

11 minutes ago, mick220675 said:

I do not understand why on a day for children the military have to get so involved. I have just returned from a event in our local town, lots of fun things for the kids to do and then solders with M16 rifles. 

Subliminal message to future adults. 

The FAA recently rated Thailand aviation as not meeting international standards, so this happening before the ink is even dry on the FAA warning flies in the losing face of country reputation. Poor pilot had no chance.

11 minutes ago, elgordo38 said:

Subliminal message to future adults. 

Exactly right, except for the subliminal part.

Looked to me like he was attempting to do an Immelmann Turn, but lost it as he was completing the inside of the top half of the loop. There does not appear to have been any loss of power. At that point in the loop, aviators can experience 6 - 9 Gs, so I am wondering whether he greyed out at that point, didn't roll out and the aircraft continued on without controlled flight. 

Here is an F-16 doing an Immelmann correctly.

RIP to the aviator.

It was also a 64M euro aircraft loss for the RTAF.

The FAA recently rated Thailand aviation as not meeting international standards, so this happening before the ink is even dry on the FAA warning flies in the losing face of country reputation. Poor pilot had no chance.

You really think they were referring to the air force?

Tragic.  Too bad for the pilot, his or her family and the kids.