BANGKOK 27 June 2019 06:56

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rooster59

Gripen Fighter Jet Crashes at Hat Yai Air Show, Pilot Killed

16 hours ago, A Skeptic said:

To "Bubba" and the other respondent who called the Saab J39 Gripin a "piece of Shit". Neither of you know what you are writing about. That was NOT an Immelman turn (nowadays a simple and safe manoeuvre), it was an aileron roll which was started in level flight. Towards the end the nose dropped - which is what happens when you turn an aircraft upside down unless you push. Whether caused by human or mechanical failure may never be ascertained. I am an ex fighter pilot and was Royal (British) Air Force acrobatics champion. I taught on fighter trainers and have 1,000 hours on the VSTOL Harrier. I DO know what I am writing about.

The Gripin is a potent fighter produced independently by a neutral country. That is an achievement that the UK has failed to match since 1969. I never flew combat against the Gripin but understand from associates that the aircraft is very highly regarded in the REAL pilot community. 

Which Squadron were you? I was out in Gutersloh in the early 80's

2 minutes ago, Tallviking said:

I can recomend a basic course in using "Google"

If you try searching for "military and civilian flight rules" the first hit you get is this:

http://aviation.stackexchange.com/questions/12401/how-much-jurisdiction-does-the-faa-have-over-military-aircraft

And if you read it, you would see it relates to the USA only!

2 minutes ago, muzmurray said:

And if you read it, you would see it relates to the USA only!

If you know anything basic about military aviation it is the same the world over. Civilian rules do not, and can not, be used on mitlitary aviation

If military aviation had to follow civilian rules they would not be allowed to carry weapons, not be allowed to fly low and not be allowed to fligh high risk in any type of conflict area

21 hours ago, pmugghc said:

If you'd bother to read other peoples' posts then you'd learn the accident 25 years ago was due to pilot error. But why let facts get in the way of your tiresome rants?

I apologize again. Sorry mate.

On 1/15/2017 at 7:40 PM, A Skeptic said:

To "Bubba" and the other respondent who called the Saab J39 Gripin a "piece of Shit". Neither of you know what you are writing about. That was NOT an Immelman turn (nowadays a simple and safe manoeuvre), it was an aileron roll which was started in level flight. Towards the end the nose dropped - which is what happens when you turn an aircraft upside down unless you push. Whether caused by human or mechanical failure may never be ascertained. I am an ex fighter pilot and was Royal (British) Air Force acrobatics champion. I taught on fighter trainers and have 1,000 hours on the VSTOL Harrier. I DO know what I am writing about.

The Gripin is a potent fighter produced independently by a neutral country. That is an achievement that the UK has failed to match since 1969. I never flew combat against the Gripin but understand from associates that the aircraft is very highly regarded in the REAL pilot community. 

Not sure about that A Skeptic.   I come from a similar background to you, and my view is that if it was an aileron roll, which it may have been, the nose was dropped before 90 degrees of roll had been completed, not toward the end, but as I saw it, still recoverable, or at worst, ejectable.

I still think it's more likely that he was attempting a Split S, but realized he was too low.  If that was the case, trying to roll out of the manouver was never going to succeed any more than continuing the pull through.