Gripen Fighter Jet Crashes at Hat Yai Air Show, Pilot Killed

rooster59

23 hours ago, hobz said:

This swedish piece of shit has a history of crashing during these show events.

In fact, if i recall correctly it crashed on its first public show in stockholm many years ago.. Pilot ejected and survived that time.

Expensive piece of shit

7 hull losses from 247 delivered planes = 2.43%

You might want to check the stats for something like the F16  ;-)

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 hours ago, Tallviking said:

Civil aviaition rules is a totally different area than military flying !

Dont mix the 2 worlds. The Thai airforce pilots are mostly trained in Sweden

Do you have a link to this? I can't find anything about it on the net.

8 minutes ago, muzmurray said:

Do you isave aislink to this? I can't find anything about it on the net.

When an Air Force buys aircraft, there Is generally a training package that goes with It, for both pilots and ground crew, part of the total cost, as, often, Is a simulator.  If the manufacturer doesn't train at least some of the buyers' pilots and mechanics/engineers, who does?

Self endorsing on a fighter category aircraft Is just not possible, nor Is mechanics learning from books, on the job.

23 minutes ago, muzmurray said:

Do you have a link to this? I can't find anything about it on the net.

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/thailand-signs-contract-for-six-saab-gripen-fighters-221552/

with pilot and technician training to commence in Sweden during 2009.

I could also give you a row of links in Swedish (I am Swedish and have a background from the RSwAF)

To "Bubba" and the other respondent who called the Saab J39 Gripin a "piece of Shit". Neither of you know what you are writing about. That was NOT an Immelman turn (nowadays a simple and safe manoeuvre), it was an aileron roll which was started in level flight. Towards the end the nose dropped - which is what happens when you turn an aircraft upside down unless you push. Whether caused by human or mechanical failure may never be ascertained. I am an ex fighter pilot and was Royal (British) Air Force acrobatics champion. I taught on fighter trainers and have 1,000 hours on the VSTOL Harrier. I DO know what I am writing about.

The Gripin is a potent fighter produced independently by a neutral country. That is an achievement that the UK has failed to match since 1969. I never flew combat against the Gripin but understand from associates that the aircraft is very highly regarded in the REAL pilot community. 

1 hour ago, Mordacai said:

Unfortunately, some folks go to car races and air shows for a chance to see something like that.
As exciting as it may be, it's something I can do without.
RIP

Yes. The most visited events are those with hich speed, a lot of noise and high risk of accidents. Formula 1 is the sport with the biggest crouds ever

So its not just "some people". It very very many people.

3 hours ago, A Skeptic said:

To "Bubba" and the other respondent who called the Saab J39 Gripin a "piece of Shit". Neither of you know what you are writing about. That was NOT an Immelman turn (nowadays a simple and safe manoeuvre), it was an aileron roll which was started in level flight. Towards the end the nose dropped - which is what happens when you turn an aircraft upside down unless you push. Whether caused by human or mechanical failure may never be ascertained. I am an ex fighter pilot and was Royal (British) Air Force acrobatics champion. I taught on fighter trainers and have 1,000 hours on the VSTOL Harrier. I DO know what I am writing about.

The Gripin is a potent fighter produced independently by a neutral country. That is an achievement that the UK has failed to match since 1969. I never flew combat against the Gripin but understand from associates that the aircraft is very highly regarded in the REAL pilot community. 

Skeptic - just to keep the record straight, I did NOT say anything to the effect of calling the aircraft a "piece of shit". I saw other users say something to that effect, but I didn't. Please go back and look through my replies. 

Kindly go back and do your reading before you name users and hurl insults. Having read the first part of your post, the rest of your post is superfluous.

Thank you.

6 hours ago, A Skeptic said:

I stand corrected. I have no idea what i am talking about. I thought this was the same jas gripen that swedish media portrayed as a failure due to being too expensive and too many crashes..

I made the mistake of not checking if this is the same jas gripen.

I also made the mistake of recalling swedish sensationalist journalism from 10 years ago? (Dont remember) as being fact.

Im a moron sometimes.

I apologize.

#edit#

I looked up old news articles. Jas 39 gripen crashed during its public show in stockholm back in 1993. It was a huge story in sweden back at the time and for the years that followed media would talk shit about how expensive it had been to develop and how unsafe it was etc. Now 25 years later i dont know what they are selling but they are using the exact same name jas 39 gripen. So im sorry for thinking it had to be the same piece of shit as back in 1993!! Omg 25 years has passed quick!!

13 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

" The F-16 was valued at $20.4 million. "

It was earlier mentioned that Thailand paid $70  million for each of the Gripen jets. Are they really 3.5 times more expensive than a F16?

You can't do simple comparisons like that. What was included in Thailand's $70M? Pilot training? Spare parts? Ground control systems?

4 hours ago, hobz said:

I stand corrected. I have no idea what i am talking about. I thought this was the same jas gripen that swedish media portrayed as a failure due to being too expensive and too many crashes..

I made the mistake of not checking if this is the same jas gripen.

I also made the mistake of recalling swedish sensationalist journalism from 10 years ago? (Dont remember) as being fact.

Im a moron sometimes.

I apologize.

#edit#

I looked up old news articles. Jas 39 gripen crashed during its public show in stockholm back in 1993. It was a huge story in sweden back at the time and for the years that followed media would talk shit about how expensive it had been to develop and how unsafe it was etc. Now 25 years later i dont know what they are selling but they are using the exact same name jas 39 gripen. So im sorry for thinking it had to be the same piece of shit as back in 1993!! Omg 25 years has passed quick!!

If you'd bother to read other peoples' posts then you'd learn the accident 25 years ago was due to pilot error. But why let facts get in the way of your tiresome rants?

17 hours ago, mick220675 said:

I understand now I must have been stupid, the next time there is a car/motorbike crash on the road I will take my kids to look at the blood and guts on the road now I know they will love it.

No, you're just being stubborn and petulant - sort of like the children you claim to want to protect.  YOUR suggestion would be leaving them at home and never taking them out "on the road" lest they risk having to see something like that.  So don't be silly - or at least try not to be.  No one took their kids to see the airplane crash; they took them to see the airshow.  The crash was an accident !  If you don't want your kids to ever be witness to anything tragic, you're going to have to tie them up and keep them in a dark room (no TV; no smartphone; no video games BTW) until they turn 18.  No wait - then YOU'D be the tragedy in their lives...

16 hours ago, A Skeptic said:

Which Squadron were you? I was out in Gutersloh in the early 80's

2 minutes ago, Tallviking said:

I can recomend a basic course in using "Google"

If you try searching for "military and civilian flight rules" the first hit you get is this:

http://aviation.stackexchange.com/questions/12401/how-much-jurisdiction-does-the-faa-have-over-military-aircraft

And if you read it, you would see it relates to the USA only!

2 minutes ago, muzmurray said:

And if you read it, you would see it relates to the USA only!

If you know anything basic about military aviation it is the same the world over. Civilian rules do not, and can not, be used on mitlitary aviation

If military aviation had to follow civilian rules they would not be allowed to carry weapons, not be allowed to fly low and not be allowed to fligh high risk in any type of conflict area

21 hours ago, pmugghc said:

If you'd bother to read other peoples' posts then you'd learn the accident 25 years ago was due to pilot error. But why let facts get in the way of your tiresome rants?

I apologize again. Sorry mate.

On 1/15/2017 at 7:40 PM, A Skeptic said:

Not sure about that A Skeptic.   I come from a similar background to you, and my view is that if it was an aileron roll, which it may have been, the nose was dropped before 90 degrees of roll had been completed, not toward the end, but as I saw it, still recoverable, or at worst, ejectable.

I still think it's more likely that he was attempting a Split S, but realized he was too low.  If that was the case, trying to roll out of the manouver was never going to succeed any more than continuing the pull through.

Archived