British expat and Thai wife fight off mugger in Pattaya

Jonathan Fairfield

British expat and Thai wife fight off mugger in Pattaya

p.png

PATTAYA:-- A British man had part of his gold chain stolen during a robbery in broad daylight in the Nong Prue area of Pattaya.

The incident happened around 4pm on Friday when the man, identified by Thai media as Mr Nigel Connole, 47, (name transliterated) was shopping with his wife on Pattaya 3rd road.

As the couple walked down a side soi they were approached by a man who tried to steal Mr Connole’s 5 baht gold chain, believed to be worth in excess of 100,000 baht. 

A scuffle ensued as Mr Connole and his wife tried to fight off the mugger, who managed wrestle free and flee to a waiting motorcycle.

During the altercation Mr Connole’s gold chain snapped in two and the mugger managed to escape with one half.

Mr Connole’s wife reportedly gave chase but turned back when she saw the mugger’s accomplice waiting on a motorcycle. 

Police warned of a spate of similar robberies in the Bang Lamung area in recent weeks.

At 1am on Friday morning, a Korean tourist, who had just arrived in Pattaya hours earlier, had his gold necklace worth 180,000 baht snatched from around his neck by a man on a motorcycle outside the BanKaew resort in Wong Amat.

Police are investigating both incidents.

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-01-14

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While clearly the bad person in this tale is the mugger, I would urge all people, particularly foreigners not to wear visible gold chains, particularly worth the amount of money stated in this story. There are numerous reported stories of these being ripped off wearer's necks. By wearing a gold chain, the chances of you being mugged increase exponentially.

I moved from Pattaya to Hua Hin on 2008 and gold chain snatching was rife then. Any farang who is stupid enough to parade around wearing gold chains is asking for trouble. When we went to Vietnam we bought 100 baht watches specially for the occasion. A little bit of commonsense is required; it's too late to cry over spilt milk!!

Police warned of a spate of roberries in recent weeks !!!

Oh so that's OK then........warnings are better than dealing with the route cause of the problems......obviously

My My......haven't they heard ........"Prevention is the best cure"

I wear a necklace with Thai amulets every day but I usually use stainless steel chains or paracord and plastic casings for my amulets as this is basically SAFE!

I know that many foreigners just want to showoff with gold and don't believe/think about the amulets and that's when you put yourself at risk, because if you have an original Somdet Warakan (same type of amulet as the man show) then we are talking about an amulet that's valued to the ball park of 2-15 million Baht.

I don't have any very expensive amulets and still my everyday paracord necklace with 5 amulets is valued to over 60,000 Baht just for the amulets!  

3 hours ago, DD13 said:

Police warned of a spate of roberries in recent weeks !!!

Oh so that's OK then........warnings are better than dealing with the route cause of the problems......obviously

My My......haven't they heard ........"Prevention is the best cure"

doesn't anyone ever wonder why there doesn't seem to be a lot more emphasis put on such warnings( particularly  from the police ).:ermm:

I was told once why it seems to be downplayed and it certainly seemed a plausible reason.

But then I'm sure I would be accused of being a conspiracy theorist:ph34r:

11 hours ago, Enoon said:

It's not a question of stupidity.  It's one of necessity.

They have to show their grotesque "bling" off to the world.  Just as the have to show off their ghastly blue

arms.

That's how they define themselves and achieve "completeness".

No point in leaving the house, no point in living, unless they do so.

Better to live one day as a crass, brutal, stereotype than a lifetime of subtle, understated, urbane charm.

Thank you Noel Coward.

3 hours ago, Enoon said:

It's not a question of stupidity.  It's one of necessity.

They have to show their grotesque "bling" off to the world.  Just as the have to show off their ghastly blue

arms.

That's how they define themselves and achieve "completeness".

No point in leaving the house, no point in living, unless they do so.

Better to live one day as a crass, brutal, stereotype than a lifetime of subtle, understated, urbane charm.

So basically you are slating the guy because he has one of the oldest forms of artwork on his body, get a life you Muppet, having a go just because the guy has tattoos.  

11 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

Korean tourist, who had just arrived in Pattaya hours earlier, had his gold necklace worth 180,000 baht snatched from around his neck

180,000bht chain???these exaggerated values for snatched gold chains keep getting higher and higher in the TV news! what kind of moron wears a kilo of gold hanging from his neck!

I wear a necklace with Thai amulets every day but I usually use stainless steel chains or paracord and plastic casings for my amulets as this is basically SAFE!
I know that many foreigners just want to showoff with gold and don't believe/think about the amulets and that's when you put yourself at risk, because if you have an original Somdet Warakan (same type of amulet as the man show) then we are talking about an amulet that's valued to the ball park of 2-15 million Baht.
I don't have any very expensive amulets and still my everyday paracord necklace with 5 amulets is valued to over 60,000 Baht just for the amulets!  

I hope you dont wear a "wife beater" vest, as this would make an easy "snatch" for any would be thieves.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

9 hours ago, Kasset Tak said:

"a man who tried to steal Mr Connole’s 5 baht gold chain"

it doesn't matter how you slice or dice it. fake gold chain in gold color is perceived real gold and stainless is probably  perceived as platinum by these 16 yo thugs

The guy wearing the chain is thinking. "Are they looking at my chain? I think that guy is. Ooh He looks jealous, hey that girl saw it, she's smiling at me haha. I must look like a millionaire."

But the crowd just hears. " Mug me, Mug me, Mug me, Mug me, Mug me, Mug me, Mug me, Mug me, Mug me, Mug me, Mug me, Mug me, Mug me, Mug me."

54 minutes ago, pattayadude said:

180,000bht chain???these exaggerated values for snatched gold chains keep getting higher and higher in the TV news! what kind of moron wears a kilo of gold hanging from his neck!

According to the latest prices 1 baht of gold = 20,700 thb for gold ornaments so valued at 180,000, divided by 20,700 the chain should have weighted approximately 9 baht.

1 baht of gold = 15.244 gram

9 baht of gold = 137.196 grams

So hardly a kilo.

7 hours ago, Rumbleg said:

Might as well walk down a Soi with B1000 notes on a string around your neck.

Pretty much true yes!

Which is why I always ask my wife not to wear gold. It is a lot safer to have money if you don't go around advertising it to the world.

every tourist should be given a THB 5 gold-look chain upon arrival in Thailand. 

The party will soon be over if the muggers find out that they are at risk for just THB 5 of plastic. 

OK, it will be a lot easier if nobody will wear obvious jewelry, but that's something that's been warned for for years now.

1 hour ago, pattayadude said:

Correction:

What kind of moron wears a gold chain valued 180,000baht in Pattaya?!

A moron is a moron whether the chain weighs 137gr or 1000gr.

I used "kilo of gold" only to make my point stronger

I had a feeling that's what you might've done. :)

And yes you are right, it is a very bad idea to walk around with any amount of gold hanging around your neck in most if not all parts of Thailand and certainly in Pattaya.

Archived