British expat and Thai wife fight off mugger in Pattaya

Jonathan Fairfield

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, BKKBrit said:

Men wearing gold necklaces. Yep....studly and masculine. 

And of course you make that point to all those men you see wearing them?

Bet the Catholics love you admonishing them for wearing a crucifix, let alone Buddhists,  wannabee gangsters, crooks flaunting their wealth and normal people who don't have hangs ups? 

2 hours ago, Flanno said:

Maybe there's an insurance claim about to be lodged for a vastly overpriced gold chain. After all the mugger did escape with half the chain.

The insurance claim in which he will be asked to provide proof of purchase you mean?

Multiple troll posts calling the victim a nutter an idiot and stupid have been removed also off topic posts generally denigrating Pattaya . 

11) You will not post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments directed towards Thailand, specific locations, Thai institutions such as the judicial or law enforcement system, Thai culture, Thai people or any other group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

46 minutes ago, TheFishman1 said:

How do you know you been here to long if your a foreigner and wear a rubbish amulet around your neck.   TIT

Except its more often the newbies who buy amulets/spirit houses etc. - for some reason thinking this shows they're 'fitting in' to Thai society :lol:.

An Expat should know better then roaming the soi with 5Baht around his neck. As for tourists there should be a sign in every hotel , lock your valuables in the safe , don't hire jet skies, don't leave your passport with the company you hire a motor bike from , 

When you pay with a thousand advise this to the person collecting the payment, 

And don't back chat Thai bouncers at clubs and gogo bars, ect ect. Have a good vacation.

17 hours ago, Kasset Tak said:

I wear a necklace with Thai amulets every day but I usually use stainless steel chains or paracord and plastic casings for my amulets as this is basically SAFE!

I know that many foreigners just want to showoff with gold and don't believe/think about the amulets and that's when you put yourself at risk, because if you have an original Somdet Warakan (same type of amulet as the man show) then we are talking about an amulet that's valued to the ball park of 2-15 million Baht.

I don't have any very expensive amulets and still my everyday paracord necklace with 5 amulets is valued to over 60,000 Baht just for the amulets!  

Stainless chains etc, that's heeeeavy man. Ha!

I agree with other posters here...it is foolish to wear expensive gear like this in the street. Sure, buy these things if you want but wear them on special occasions...or maybe this chap has much more expensive things for special occasions?

20 hours ago, Briggsy said:

While clearly the bad person in this tale is the mugger, I would urge all people, particularly foreigners not to wear visible gold chains, particularly worth the amount of money stated in this story. There are numerous reported stories of these being ripped off wearer's necks. By wearing a gold chain, the chances of you being mugged increase exponentially.

It happened to me in BKK 20 years ago at 2am in the morning. As an ex army PTI, I knew how to handle myself and gave the bod a hiding, much to the amusement of a group of Thais at a roadside food stall who invited me over for a drink.

The next day I went home to Korat, reminded my wife that wearing a 5 baht chain was a really bad idea and told her to cash it it and get us a new aircon. I've never worn once since.

Final point, why is this news? Oh I forgot, it's 2016 and the world has it's nose stuck up everyone's backside and it's look at me.....

22 hours ago, BKKBrit said:

Men wearing gold necklaces. Yep....studly and masculine. 

Never had anyone doubt my masculinity, and I have worn the same 4 baht gold chain and Vietnamese Buddha in Asia since my Vietnamese gf gave it to me in 1968.

Police warned of a spate of roberries in recent weeks !!!

Oh so that's OK then........warnings are better than dealing with the route cause of the problems......obviously

My My......haven't they heard ........"Prevention is the best cure"

That's a rubbish amulet as well.

Where did it say they were not also tackling the root cause. Seems a pretty normal step to warn people of the danger. Happens in the West also.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

On 14/01/2017 at 8:07 PM, DD13 said:

Police warned of a spate of roberries in recent weeks !!!

Oh so that's OK then........warnings are better than dealing with the route cause of the problems......obviously

My My......haven't they heard ........"Prevention is the best cure"

Well a warning is a form of prevention if people act upon it and put the chain away.

Usually the police catch them but perhaps 5 or six robberies later when the guys act in a place where there are CCTV cameras that are working.

A police presence might well deter them, but they are understaffed for the size of the problem... there will be another dumb tourist in a gold chain somewhere else.

The gold shops fencing these broken necklaces might be another avenue  for the police to use, but that would require some legwork!

15 hours ago, Monkeyrobot said:

And don't back chat Thai bouncers at clubs and gogo bars

last year me and my buddy walked in a WS gogo and just walked around the center stage but decided not to stay.The whole walk didn't take more than 20 seconds.On the way out of the club the well-dressed farang manager stopped us and extended his hand with an intention to handshake and said "thanks for visiting our club".I knew something was wrong but also knew had to play along and extended mine.He grabbed my wrist and took this huge chewing gum out of his mouth and pressured it in the center of my palm, closed my hand and stared at me for a few seconds waiting for a reaction.Then I noticed 4 sketchy bouncers behind him ready to make a bloody pulp out of me. Any word  other than  a simple and short apology would have set these bulldogs off .

I said "I am sorry" and walked away unharmed.

3 minutes ago, pattayadude said:

last year me and my buddy walked in a WS gogo and just walked around the center stage but decided not to stay.The whole walk didn't take more than 20 seconds.On the way out of the club the well-dressed farang manager stopped us and extended his hand with an intention to handshake and said "thanks for visiting our club".I knew something was wrong but also knew had to play along and extended mine.He grabbed my wrist and took this huge chewing gum out of his mouth and pressured it in the center of my palm, closed my hand and stared at me for a few seconds waiting for a reaction.Then I noticed 4 sketchy bouncers behind him ready to make a bloody pulp out of me. Any word  other than  a simple and short apology would have set these bulldogs off .

I said "I am sorry" and walked away unharmed.

You should have gone to see a high ranking tourist copper and explained what happened and got the incident recorded for any future fracas at that club. They need intel if they are ever going to rub the bad operators out.

2 minutes ago, lungnorm said:

You should have gone to see a high ranking tourist copper and explained what happened and got the incident recorded for any future fracas at that club. They need intel if they are ever going to rub the bad operators out.

that's the right thing to do but then you're taking the risk to get beaten out of the blue,probably 2 weeks later in another soi for no reason at all by some thugs you've never seen before...tough decision to make if you are a resident

Archived