British expat and Thai wife fight off mugger in Pattaya

Jonathan Fairfield

On 1/14/2017 at 7:46 AM, Kasset Tak said:

I wear a necklace with Thai amulets every day but I usually use stainless steel chains or paracord and plastic casings for my amulets as this is basically SAFE!

I know that many foreigners just want to showoff with gold and don't believe/think about the amulets and that's when you put yourself at risk, because if you have an original Somdet Warakan (same type of amulet as the man show) then we are talking about an amulet that's valued to the ball park of 2-15 million Baht.

I don't have any very expensive amulets and still my everyday paracord necklace with 5 amulets is valued to over 60,000 Baht just for the amulets!  

ok

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 15/01/2017 at 6:59 AM, pattayadude said:

180,000bht chain???these exaggerated values for snatched gold chains keep getting higher and higher in the TV news! what kind of moron wears a kilo of gold hanging from his neck!

Where can you get gold for B180,000 per kilo.  There's USD5k in it for you if you can tell me.

On 15/01/2017 at 9:40 AM, Flanno said:

Maybe there's an insurance claim about to be lodged for a vastly overpriced gold chain. After all the mugger did escape with half the chain.

Bearing in mind that the weight of the chain and the gold price is known, how do you work out that his chain was overpriced?

Rich people would never show or  advertise there wealth in any way because they don't want mugging & in Thailand many Thais would think nothing of  killing a Farang & putting you in a shallow grave for a few thousand Baht this is normal as then your just one of the many people that go missing in Thailand. regularly. You will always get people who pretend to be wealthy & most the time it's just bling bought from Thai markets. I'm not saying it was this in this mans case. Why show off when gold chain robbing has always been rampant in Thailand. I spent 9 years in Thailand & it was an every day event in Pattaya mostly while people sat on Baht buses as Thai gold is very soft & the clasps break easy. Always look as if you have nothing to steal , wear a cheap plastic watch & carry a cheap mobile phone. 

On 1/15/2017 at 11:42 AM, sahibji said:

looks like the robbers have become very brave and desperate to  launch daylight attacks. apparently they have no fear of the law. this makes Pattaya a unsafe tourist destination. TAT should comment on this.

Thai are usually honest, not very straight forward and they certainly don't like to be confronted with the mess they created. 

At some point, some Thai will be so desperate that they become "brave" and go for the 2 option measure: rob a tourist and don't get caught or rob a tourist and get caught. In both cases the mess is temporarily 'out of sight'.  

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Saraburi121 said:

Its not just Thailand, but seriously walk around Pattaya with that or even if not real?  LOL!  I use my old watch when I walk around Pattaya. 

So when your new watch becomes your old one will you wear it?

And when your current old watch was new did you leave it in the drawer?

On 1/14/2017 at 7:46 PM, Briggsy said:

While clearly the bad person in this tale is the mugger, I would urge all people, particularly foreigners not to wear visible gold chains, particularly worth the amount of money stated in this story. There are numerous reported stories of these being ripped off wearer's necks. By wearing a gold chain, the chances of you being mugged increase exponentially.

Stop "victim blaming."

;)

Rather than warning people not to wear gold chains and other jewellery, send out a warning to these scum thieves that if caught you will have your hands cut off.  People should be able to wear what the hell they want without some gutter trash stealing from them.  Can tolerate a lot of things but thrives I cannot.  Cut the <deleted>$%kers hands off, if the police won't, then do it yourself.  I cut a pricks thumb off once for stealing my phone, bet he never stole again.  

3 hours ago, Phuketboy said:

Rather than warning people not to wear gold chains and other jewellery, send out a warning to these scum thieves that if caught you will have your hands cut off.  People should be able to wear what the hell they want without some gutter trash stealing from them.  Can tolerate a lot of things but thrives I cannot.  Cut the <deleted>$%kers hands off, if the police won't, then do it yourself.  I cut a pricks thumb off once for stealing my phone, bet he never stole again.  

in a perfect world, you could wear anything you want but the world ain't perfect.it never was.

Unfortunately cutting hands off someone will trigger more violence and even  revenge killings.

I get your frustration but these thugs are mostly teenagers and probably high on ice and desperate

On 1/14/2017 at 8:46 PM, Briggsy said:

While clearly the bad person in this tale is the mugger, I would urge all people, particularly foreigners not to wear visible gold chains, particularly worth the amount of money stated in this story. There are numerous reported stories of these being ripped off wearer's necks. By wearing a gold chain, the chances of you being mugged increase exponentially.

You can never eradicate crime completely.There's always gonna be an idiot or two wearing real or fake flashy jewellery out of thousands that land in Pattaya daily and  tens of Thai teen and twenty-something thugs waiting for THOSE two!

Fact is, some people WILL NOT take off their jewellery no matter what because it represents love and respect to someone or a gift from someone loved or lost.

Some  just think and behave differently.

On 1/14/2017 at 8:06 PM, clifric said:

I moved from Pattaya to Hua Hin on 2008 and gold chain snatching was rife then. Any farang who is stupid enough to parade around wearing gold chains is asking for trouble. When we went to Vietnam we bought 100 baht watches specially for the occasion. A little bit of commonsense is required; it's too late to cry over spilt milk!!

Funny, you should mention Vietnam; my Vietnamese gf bought me a gold chain in 1967. I still wear that 4 baht gold chain today and I have lived in Asia 80% of the time since, ten years here in Thailand. Never has anyone try to steal my chain, but then I do not get so drunk I do not know what I am doing.

1 minute ago, smotherb said:

Funny, you should mention Vietnam; my Vietnamese gf bought me a gold chain in 1967. I still wear that 4 baht gold chain today and I have lived in Asia 80% of the time since, ten years here in Thailand. Never has anyone try to steal my chain, but then I do not get so drunk I do not know what I am doing.

Yes because only drunk people get mugged.

Well figured out Einstein. 

Just now, ffaarraanngg said:

Yes because only drunk people get mugged.

Well figured out Einstein. 

Never said that. However, I have seen many drunks who have no idea what is happening to them. I think you need to keep your wits about you and be aware of your surroundings, especially when you are drinking. 

For example, many years ago, I did get drunk on Sukhumvit and picked up three girls at the Thermae. Later that morning, I got up to pee and looked in the mirror; my gold chain was not around my neck. I went out to look in my pants; my wallet, passport, and money were also gone. I looked at the bed; all three girls were still there--something did not compute.

Then, I looked on the top of the armoire; there was my chain, passport, money and wallet. I had followed my standard routine even when drunk. You need to keep your wits about you and take care of yourself and your stuff.

Sorry if so many cannot. I know of no other explanation why I have never been robbed or cuckolded after so many years in and out of the bars in Asia. 

38 minutes ago, smotherb said:

Never said that. However, I have seen many drunks who have no idea what is happening to them. I think you need to keep your wits about you and be aware of your surroundings, especially when you are drinking. 

For example, many years ago, I did get drunk on Sukhumvit and picked up three girls at the Thermae. Later that morning, I got up to pee and looked in the mirror; my gold chain was not around my neck. I went out to look in my pants; my wallet, passport, and money were also gone. I looked at the bed; all three girls were still there--something did not compute.

Then, I looked on the top of the armoire; there was my chain, passport, money and wallet. I had followed my standard routine even when drunk. You need to keep your wits about you and take care of yourself and your stuff.

Sorry if so many cannot. I know of no other explanation why I have never been robbed or cuckolded after so many years in and out of the bars in Asia. 

You inferred it, but to be honest i've no interest in your stories or how you're so worldly and a cut above.

Though i do recommend reading the actual story of what happened and you'll see it occurred at 4pm in broad daylight whilst out he was out shopping. 

9 hours ago, smotherb said:

Then why bother replying.  Sorry if you have had issues, but I have worn my chain for 50 years without incident. Whatever the reason, I do not suggest anyone who wears a gold chain is stupid.  And, yes, I have had lots of experiences in my 50 years in Asia and I am still alive and kicking without having experienced the tales of woe so many expats express. Maybe I am just lucky.

I've had to stop hiding my money in hotel rooms when I'm away somewhere on a jolly-up as I now forget where I hid them.

One of the side affects of over indulging in libation.

I still do however try to barricade the room door to either stop a nocturnal vistor or so they make a racket if trying to enter the room while I'm sleeping like a lord.

On 14/1/2560 at 7:50 PM, khwaibah said:

Whats the old saying about a "fool and his money.":ph34r:

So you are saying if you buy a chain you cannot wear it ?

Buy an iphone, you cannot carry it in public ?

Buy a car, you need to park it with a guard, standing beside it.

You cannot call people fools because they buy things.

sorry.

On ‎2017‎-‎01‎-‎15 at 0:37 AM, Rumbleg said:

Might as well walk down a Soi with B1000 notes on a string around your neck.

Well then....A well orchestrated sting operation of sorts would be the way to go and probably the only means and ways of catching the low life scum that are stealing peoples valuables.

Under cover officers in disguise with several volunteer foreigners dressed up with fake duplicate gold chains and seen stumbling around looking drunk and unaware and then the thieves make their move and the sting operators make their move......and then .... Wham ..the scum bag thieves are aggressively taken down and somewhat beat up on the spot,  for good measure, and then taken to Jail for some more punching bag exercises and then...the new order of things says:

"The thieves will be stripped naked and paraded about the town at the end of a rope for 2 days with a sign around their neck confessing their crimes and publically shamed for all to witness.

Judge Roy Bean, Law West of the Pecos has spoken....lol

Cheers

On 1/15/2017 at 0:41 AM, Farang1966 said:

So basically you are slating the guy because he has one of the oldest forms of artwork on his body, get a life you Muppet, having a go just because the guy has tattoos.  

I wonder if there is anyone in Pattaya who wears a crisp white shirt and an expensive tie?  He'd surely be walking around like a superstar.

On 1/14/2017 at 9:06 PM, clifric said:

I moved from Pattaya to Hua Hin on 2008 and gold chain snatching was rife then. Any farang who is stupid enough to parade around wearing gold chains is asking for trouble. When we went to Vietnam we bought 100 baht watches specially for the occasion. A little bit of commonsense is required; it's too late to cry over spilt milk!!

I had my brushed stainless chain(500 baht worth) snatched while riding my mbike at 2pm early afternoon on 2nd road  near Pattaya clang(Central Pattaya) in 2006 by two lowlifes on mbike.

That goes to show you can't wear anything, anywhere, anytime.Period

Archived