British expat and Thai wife fight off mugger in Pattaya

Jonathan Fairfield

On 14/01/2017 at 8:06 PM, NanLaew said:

That's a rubbish amulet as well.

What an absolutely rubbish remark to make and you actually got some "likes"

I had you down as one of the  more "reliable posters" on this forum but you seem to have caught the " B&T virus" from the lesser intelligent and bitter bar stool couch brigade !

Does it occur to you that the Amulet may have some sentimental value and was given to the chap maybe from a very poor Thai person or indeed his Thai partner, wife or girlfriend?

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...
On 1/14/2017 at 7:13 PM, Jonathan Fairfield said:

believed to be worth in excess of 100,000 baht. 

not too bright walking around with this in plain sight; some thais, perhaps not wanting to steal it, might also interpret it as 'showing off' and be offended; he was targeting himself

On 09/02/2017 at 1:06 PM, Briggsy said:

Let me consider my reply.

After much thought, "exponentially" here is used in the colloquial sense to mean "dramatically" rather than its precise mathematical meaning.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
7 minutes ago, smotherb said:

What could be more studly than a Brit with tattoos and a gold chain

Just stroll along to Walkabout Creek on Pattaya Ta/Third Road Corner and you will have your answer. 

On 1/14/2017 at 10:46 PM, Kasset Tak said:

I wear a necklace with Thai amulets every day but I usually use stainless steel chains or paracord and plastic casings for my amulets as this is basically SAFE!

I know that many foreigners just want to showoff with gold and don't believe/think about the amulets and that's when you put yourself at risk, because if you have an original Somdet Warakan (same type of amulet as the man show) then we are talking about an amulet that's valued to the ball park of 2-15 million Baht.

I don't have any very expensive amulets and still my everyday paracord necklace with 5 amulets is valued to over 60,000 Baht just for the amulets!  

You can also get Somdej Wat Rakang amulets for 50 baht, who would assume it to be an early original worth a fortune?  They would have liked the look of the gold not the amulet, unless they were a mugger with a magnifying glass and a good eye for amulets.

15 hours ago, BangkokSausage said:

A big fat gold chain was the real deal back in the 80"s Disco with shirt open to the belly button but today. really? Asians can be excused they love bling but a farang?  He will be back at the gold shop tomorrow buying the other half because you cant fix stupid

I bought a four baht gold chain in 1968, I believe it cost about $80. It is worth quite a bit more now. Doesn't seem so stupid.  Gold was and is a form of investment, no matter how you see it. Makes more sense to me than buying an I-phone.

Archived