BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

redwinecheese

stop whining and enjoy your only paradise

Nanlaew

I only stated the things that are common to us everyday.I also said that Thail and is a wonderful place etc.I dont know if your reply was a criticism,or not.But the things i stated are honest and true. Do you not suffer with the same problems as those i stated.If you don't,then please tell me your secret.Moving from your land of birth is a brave thing to do.To make a life in another country,some 8000 miles away is courageous,especially when the language is not your own.And its a novelty,but,like every thing else,novelties wear off.Its all fun and games at first,but then we settle down(well most of us do)and then,normal life sets in again.Food,electric,water gas for cooking,Shoes,schooling,clothes for kids(if you have them) A car,Car tax,renewal of driving license,Repairs,tyres,idiots on the road,insurance,and a million other things.If you expat here,you do not  treat it lightly.You are no longer the 3 week playboy. I take my responsibilities very seriously,and it irks me to read a post accusing us of moaning,whining,etc with no prior knowledge of what it is really all about.And "super beings" have a habit of turning out to have feet of clay As i said,i am happy here because,and be under no illusion that it was easy, i have worked,saved and found a wonderful woman to share my life with.But there is many a slip twixt cup and lip.To trust every body here is a fools errand,to see what you see through rose tinted glasses is also a short term idyll.So i say,if this guy still feels,in 10 years ,the way he feels now,then he must be a super

being.

39 minutes ago, paulsingle said:

Redwinecheese,  what in God's name are you blathering about man???

Its ok we can forgive him,   as he is a newbie.

His not paid the real price of the honey yet. :thumbsup:

Maybe he should start planning now,  of how to handle the assault

on his bank account that is already at the  early planning stages.   :giggle:

The guy who wrote this post is the most arrogant guy i have read on here . He thinks if you dont think like him you are arrogant. What a sanctimonious  p****erson . He is an idiot .
" living life style as simple and uncomplicated way "  does the idiot think they want to live like that ?
 They live like that because they are poor and oppressed . If he wants to live a simple life like them , its easy . Live on 300 bahts a day then see how he likes the simple life . All thais would jump at the chance to live like a westerner

What a noob!!

I'm on my third beer of the morning...all nicked out of a farang expat fantasist's fridge!!

Living here is a dream. :biggrin:

2 hours ago, Gillyflower said:

Well I would say he is European, but not a Brit.  

Neither European nor Brit are races---I believe the "race" comment surfaced because some poster said "white race"

Not sure which poster

My question is about several replies that say something like "Just wait till you've been here a few years, then post again."  Implying that they have been here longer & they understand just how much Thailand sucks.  If this is the case, then why are you still here?? Human nature being what it is, this says to me that if Thailand sucks, at least it doesn't suck as much as the place you came from.  Am I wrong? 

7 hours ago, USNret said:

My question is about several replies that say something like "Just wait till you've been here a few years, then post again."  Implying that they have been here longer & they understand just how much Thailand sucks.  If this is the case, then why are you still here?? Human nature being what it is, this says to me that if Thailand sucks, at least it doesn't suck as much as the place you came from.  Am I wrong? 

You think too much.

Its far more enjoyable to slurp n burp.

1 hour ago, little mary sunshine said:

Pattaya and Utopia in the same sentence...555555555555555555555

555555555555555555555555555555555555555..Good One!!!!!

Maybe you are confusing utopia with nirvana.

21 hours ago, AlexRich said:

Thai's are not that much different from anyone else ... they want the same material things as their western counterparts. Most of those that live a 'simple and uncomplicated' lifestyle do so through necessity, and many of them would be happy not to be, for example, a struggling rice farmer. If anything, Thai's are more materialistic than we are.

You romanticise the people and the country. I like the place, but it's not paradise. 

21 hours ago, AlexRich said:

Thai's are not that much different from anyone else ... they want the same material things as their western counterparts. Most of those that live a 'simple and uncomplicated' lifestyle do so through necessity, and many of them would be happy not to be, for example, a struggling rice farmer. If anything, Thai's are more materialistic than we are.

You romanticise the people and the country. I like the place, but it's not paradise. 

Is there a perfect, affordable, warm, seaside paradise anywhere in the world? 

1 minute ago, citzofwrld said:

Pattaya. It's so desireable, they are now coming over from Hua Hin on the ferry

16 minutes ago, USNret said:

Yes, you are wrong. It's not a case of if you don't love Thailand then you must hate it.

I like Thailand but I don't view it as a country that is faultless, the OP appears to believe that he has found 'heaven on earth', he hasn't ... and in time he'll realise that. That's the point being made.

I like my home country also ... so my ideal is to have the best of both worlds. 

When one first arrives in Thailand- you are struck by the warm, beautiful weather; warm beautiful people smiling all the time; and generally a relaxation of the rules that govern the Western World. At that point it does seem like a type of Utopia where anything you want is available and anything you have always dreamed about doing can be done.

My first wife always told me that what you see in Thailand is often not what it really is and that when I learn to speak Thai, I might not like the Thais so much. She was right. While I still like and respect Thai people- they are certainly not without fault and the country has huge problems.

I have learned it is their country and they need to solve them in the Thai way and therefore I do not complain or offer suggestions which would be rejected anyway.

As I learned to speak Thai, I became able to understand and spot different Thai personalities and quirks and differentiate between a real smile and a fake one.  Even after 50 years of interactions with the people- I do not consider myself an expert. One must be born Thai and grow up in Thailand to actually be 100% assimilated into the culture.

If the OP wants to live in Thailand and refuses to actually attempt to assimilate- he will miss out on a great culture and a mostly great people because he will never really know what is going on around him. It can be done- one can live in the tourist ghettos of the country and interact in English only but that is not the real Thailand- it's the fake Thailand - the one in which the 2 week millionaires  exist.

15 minutes ago, citzofwrld said:

No. 

2 hours ago, JSixpack said:

Though the OP pretty laughable, I say that the keys to long-term happiness in Thailand is to accept it as it is (it ain't gon' change), learn basic Thai, practice good Thai manners when dealing with Thais, and have enough money so that you don't have to sweat the small stuff. Then you're golden.

Good one thats about the gist of it.