'Ethical' issue with ThaiVisa side ads

Docno

I'm referring to those ads that are automatically generated (I assume) and that line the right side and bottom of the forum pages. I think more attention needs to be paid to how the images accompanying these links are selected. What seems to be pure randomness/automation is creating questionable and perhaps even defamatory associations between images and news headlines. Consider the clips below. The first one shows an identifiable man who appears to have been sentenced to death for the Koh Tao murders -- how would you like a family member to stumble over that one? Worse even, when you try to click through, the link leads to a dead page (family member now in panic). The second one shows an identifiable woman for a story about a rape. Again, this problematic for numerous reasons (are you actually identifying this woman as the rape victim?). The others are just strange... like a goat for a story about a waterfall, John Lydon for a story on a catamaran, or an On The Buses character for a story about a fight... Can something be done about this stuff? Goats, Johnny Rotten, and On the Buses I don't mind, but the other two examples are concerning.

ThaiVisaAd.jpg

WOman.jpg

Coupleofthem.jpg

John.jpg

Yes, I agree.  And today we have; 'Three Thai youths gang raped a 12 year old', with a a photo of what looks like a silent movie star, or 'Bar Girl Killer on the loose' with a picture of a guy flying a light aircraft.  Seems to just be randon images combined with very old Thai visa headlines.  Bizarre.

17 hours ago, nisakiman said:

I assumed that the avatars were of the TV members who had most recently posted a comment on that particular topic.

If that's the case, I'm going to have to reconsider what discussions I join! Someone might recognise me from my avatar... :-)

Anyway, probably not the best way for the site to generate a graphic for an 'ad'.

• 2 weeks later...

Its actually googles matched content adverts, they choose the article and image from the thread not TV.

So perhaps the forum owners should consider suspending these Google adverts until/unless this problem is resolved?

ethics and all that, you know......

On 28/01/2017 at 9:22 AM, simon43 said:

So perhaps the forum owners should consider suspending these Google adverts until/unless this problem is resolved?

ethics and all that, you know......

Given Dan Cheeseman, the head honcho of TV, has commented on anorher related thread, maybe direct your comments towards him, as it seems apparant he actually is reading and responding on the forums to specific topics - post 161 

Archived