Want a driving license? Just go to a driving school

webfact

On 12/14/2017 at 2:38 PM, speedtripler said:

Has anyone tried one of these schools yet?  I would pay for licence renewal if I didn't have to waste a day at the department of land transport  hanging around watching videos..... 

I'd happily pay for driving 'lessons' in a local school - rather than the current method of obtaining a license which boils down to:-

1) Pay a fortune in taxi fees to get to the only test centre in Phuket (or ask a friend to put themselves out by taking me there :sad:) through the horrendous traffic - only to be given a far distant, future date for the test.

2) Worry about passing the theory test - which is always going to be difficult in a different language.

3) Drive through said horrendous traffic to finally be able to take the test!

Sadly, (as far as I know) there are no driving schools on the south of Phuket :sad:.

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

I'd happily pay for driving 'lessons' in a local school - rather than the current method of obtaining a license which boils down to:-

1) Pay a fortune in taxi fees to get to the only test centre in Phuket (or ask a friend to put themselves out by taking me there :sad:) through the horrendous traffic - only to be given a far distant, future date for the test.

2) Worry about passing the theory test - which is always going to be difficult in a different language.

3) Drive through said horrendous traffic to finally be able to take the test!

Sadly, (as far as I know) there are no driving schools on the south of Phuket :sad:.

There are 120+ nationwide I think I read... 

Probably one not too far away from you... 

I have all the licences but I'd pay to renew them without going near that overcrowded  dlt hellhole in chatjuchak

On 1/16/2017 at 10:42 AM, webfact said:

Drivers now need to do five hours of training

has the potential to compete with the current onerous system in terms of time and frustration;no mention of cost however;

nor how to find out where these schools are; waiting lists, etc

My Thai gf started her driving lessons this week in buriram.The first lesson her, and 16 others were taught about what the different colours of the car lights were for and when to change the tyres ! They also sat an exam on the highway code which they all failed because they hadn't had anything to revise from.

Next everyone was told to pay 4500 bht up front and someone would phone them probably within 2 weeks time to arrange the next lesson.

While I was there I also saw advanced students taking their practical exam,they had to drive all they way around the car park in first gear only,drive between some cones,and reverse into a parking space.while the examiner chatted to his friend while eating ice cream.

It's not so much of a driving school but a place to obtain a driving licence

3 minutes ago, DavisH said:

I don't see any learner's permit system in this country. How is one supposed to learn if they can't drive on a proper road (even when accompanied by a licenced driver)

There is no learner licence in Thailand.it is illegal to drive on a public road if you haven't yet passed your driving test.The system is flawed from the start

5 hours? Really? I mean, really???

Most Thais that I know can't even sit still for 2 hours in front of the local monks while blessing a new home... Let alone stop playing on their phone as if Facebook updates are way more important then any driving video. Especially if the video does not contain car chases, guns and crashes.

Ok -- end of sarcasms for the day --
My wife's daughter... 2 hours "instruction by my wife.. Who is not a good driver at all. Zero time behind the wheel at Land Transport.. Theory test only. Voila... 20 years old.. Gets a DL. DRIVES like a maniac. Can not listen to a word of my advice...Just refuses to believe she is not an excellent driver. Arrrrrrrgggg

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...

One might argue it really doesn't matter a damn whether they paid for the result upfront, went to a half-hearted driving school, or went to a half-hearted transport office test center. It's all the other BS stuff they are trying to deal with as well as drive that makes people dangerous;  regardless of their education. Many think they're marvellous at multitasking, even as they making a complete pig's ear of it. Added to which, you could argue for a passenger test, as well. The World's worst backseat drivers!

4 minutes ago, stud858 said:

For those tourists doing 2 year thai licence an international licence along with your native licence is an option. Yearly is around 1000 baht. No mess,  no fuss.

I've heard that after 3 months of being here you need a Thai license otherwise a Thai car insurance company won't cover you, it's in the small print. You may be legal but you aren't covered.

2 hours ago, soalbundy said:

I've heard that after 3 months of being here you need a Thai license otherwise a Thai car insurance company won't cover you, it's in the small print. You may be legal but you aren't covered.

I've come across this 3 month rule on forums and private websites before.  I haven't been convinced of it yet.  Authorities and government websites don't mention it at all.  My insurance company says I'm good to go for the year validity of IDP also. Check at the source and be sure an IDP is good for your situation. Don't let hearsay ruin an option for you.

7 minutes ago, stud858 said:

I've come across this 3 month rule on forums and private websites before.  I haven't been convinced of it yet.  Authorities and government websites don't mention it at all.  My insurance company says I'm good to go for the year validity of IDP also. Check at the source and be sure an IDP is good for your situation. Don't let hearsay ruin an option for you.

I have a Thai driving license since 12 years, when I took out car insurance the broker wanted to see my driving license and told me of this restriction at his company.

11 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

I have a Thai driving license since 12 years, when I took out car insurance the broker wanted to see my driving license and told me of this restriction at his company.

Can you name the company?

I've rented cars numerous times in the past here from the various major car rental companies using my valid home country DL along with a valid IDP. And none of them ever asked, checked or advised about the supposed 90-day rule.

However, I'm pretty sure I've seen relatively convincing evidence of it in past threads here on the subject -- enough to convince me that I would no longer rent a car in Thailand without a Thai DL, especially given that I'm way past the 90 days of arrival concept.

The last thing I'd want to do here would be to ever end up in some kind of car collision and give the Thai car insurance agency any possible reason/excuse to avoid their obligations under the policy.

On 1/12/2018 at 11:59 AM, 1happykamper said:

My wife's daughter... 2 hours "instruction by my wife.. Who is not a good driver at all. Zero time behind the wheel at Land Transport.. Theory test only. Voila... 20 years old.. Gets a DL. DRIVES like a maniac. Can not listen to a word of my advice...Just refuses to believe she is not an excellent driver. Arrrrrrrgggg

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Take is easy. You might miss out on the fun. Maybe you have a heart attack before you sit in the car when she have an accident. :cheesy:

On 16-1-2017 at 5:40 AM, smedly said:

to keep them right all they have to do is send in a bogus applicant with the intention of slipping them a back hander to get the certificate - then introduce stiff penalties for those caught taking a bribe - like a mandatory jail sentence and stiff fine plus revoke the operators licence - that should work

the bogus applicant will inform the drivingschool and take a bribe .........everybody is for sale  here , everybody ....and it aint expensive..........

This is not a joke. Prior to my plans to retire to LOS I researched drivers license requirements. I found lots on the process & required docs to get license... But I kept searching for the driving lessons part.
Someone then said to me, nonchalantly, "oh there is no driving lessons required".
I was confused

On 1/16/2017 at 2:21 PM, 007cableguy said:

The scariest thing of all to me is when they get these licences they can get a international permit to drive abroad!............About 99% of Thai licence holders would never pass a U.K. Practical test!.....Just my opinion !

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Yes but 99.5% of Thais will never go abroad.

Archived