BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

webfact

20 percent of critically-ill patients in Thailand die in ambulances while being rushed to hospitals

For all of the talk about traffic deaths and horrible Thai driving practices - this is ONE of the worst I have seen. I have not seen this anywhere else. No giving way to Ambulances or other emergency vehicles. I lived in KL and did not see this behavior.

Thai police need to make traffic stops - not just do roadblocks! If they (legitimately) see a traffic violation - like not giving way to an Ambulance they need to pull that vehicle over and give them a ticket. Current practice means no ramification for illegal and dangerous road behavior because Thai police to no pull cars over.

13 hours ago, hanuman2543 said:

Because they bring the patients to the hospital which pays the biggest commission. 2 years ago I had a motorbike accident in CM. Instead of bringing me to a government hospital 200m down the road, they first drove me home to pick up my insurance details and then to a private hospital. The hospital charged for cleaning the wounds, some plaster, pain killers, bandages and a 30 second visit from one of their doctors in the ER 4500 Baht. The ambulance drivers only left after they were paid for the "delivery" of me.

Just think if they were being given a finder's fee too.

I have never witnessed a situation, in Thailand, where motorists give a damn about ambulances, fire trucks or police vehicles with lights and sirens on the go. In  my country these things are policed, and I would always give way to the emergency vehicles. Its to do with education I would suspect.

16 hours ago, sweatalot said:

" unintentional blocking of ambulances by motorists "

unintenional? I doubt this

Just say: INTENTIONAL!

Simply because no Thai driver, yes THAI, wants to give way to another car, motorbike, bicycle, pedestrian, or whatever, it's a bl**dy face thing.

Shameful behaviour bordering on criminal.

Big trucks and buses are bigger.

Unintentional my ass....I see almost daily, ambulances with lights and sirens blocked by selfish drivers and oblivious ones. There needs to be....By caring spiritual and civic leaders a retraining of the citizenry, to value life....Human life as well...There is a huge amount of, it isn't me so <deleted> it, among people I have observed.

1 hour ago, toenail said:

If Thai drivers were  ever taught the rules of driving & police enforced  the laws &.., society took the attitude of obeying rules of the road.,. I think this country would not have this problem

They are taught!!!---------- they get 5 hours of it all drummed into then !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

17 hours ago, thedemon said:

I followed an ambulance with lights and siren blaring last week on the expressway for about 30km.

I was wondering why they drove a critically ill patient past at least half a dozen hospitals.

But of course, I always get as far out of their way as possible, despite some scepticism.

They could have been going to pick up a patient or an accident victim.

I think part of the problem is a accident victim is taken to there local hospital. The facility's are poor and can only offer basic first aid, so they are then put in a ambulance and transfer'd to the provinces capital where the hospital has operating facility's.

A patient can be in there local hospital in 20 min's, but it can take well over a hour to get to a good hospital. If you are seriously ill the first hour is the time when you can be saved. 

...define 'ambulance'.....

...a pickup bed is NOT an ambulance....

...then there is handling and positioning of the patient.....

...I had a friend in ICU last June.....he was choking on his phlegm.....

....I asked them to put him in a 'semi-Fowler' position......it saved his life....

I am a First Responder, and a First Aid Instructor.  I have given my wife strict instructions to pile me in the car and drive me to hospital herself.  I consider I have a much better chance of survival than wait for the mistreatment and lack of first aid knowledge of the local hospital taxi's.  Nearest village clinic has no defibrillator.  Hospital is  20 mins drive.  If I suffer something catastrophic I die in either scenario.  Otherwise my vote goes to my missus.

it goes without saying of course you slow down and pull over to give way to any emergency vehicle.  The issue here is there is no law.  And I have witnessed on several occasions ambulances using 'blue lights' and 'sirens' for non life threatening taxi runs from my village.  It will take a generation to change the mindsets indeed.

There would even be a problem, if the morons on the streets here would know, how to open a safety- line for an ambulance and were even willing to do it: since every bit of space on the road is completely blocked, there is no way for a willing driver, to go!

There appears to be competition [baht] between the Toyota pickup rescue teams, who seem to be highly territorial with a gang mentality, and hospital ambulances. Ask somebody local that is well-connected and you are likely to learn that the pickup cowboys have been known to harvest body parts enroute to emergency rooms. So long as this kind of corruption is allowed to persist, what is the likelihood of improvement in legitimate ambulance practices?

I can't speak for any other part of the country, but I have had some interaction with my local (Chiang Rai) rescue foundation. They were volunteers, enthusiastic, and with rudimentary equipment and first aid skills ( taught by some local doctors and nurses).

Not of course comparable with a sophisticated western ambulance and it's highly trained paramedics. Better than nothing else, and outside of the big cities there is nothing else.

I totally agree with all the comments on ignorant selfish driving.