What do Isaan women really like?

Csaw

Hi all!

Besides money, what is it that they typically enjoy, value, and like?

Many things that i've read here and in other places have been a shocker to me. I'm starting to realize that a lot of things that my significant other likes is basically what every other Thai village woman likes. I used to, naturally, think it was her personal preference when all the while it was as if she is genetically predisposed to liking those things. What’s funny is that she herself would think it’s just what she personally liked and never associated it to her upbringing...most of which wasn’t even in the village, or even Thailand for that matter.

For example, she hates dressing fashionably or wearing any brand name clothing as she associates it to being "sluty". She loves food more than anything. She hates BKK (i believe it’s mutual there). And so many other things i can’t think of right now.

Basically, if you asked me to list all the things about her and what she likes. Almost everything on that list would be something I’ve recently read online under a heading that goes something like "about Thai women".

So I’m wondering, besides money (she makes plenty of that), what would be a fail-proof gift i could give a typical Isaan lady (not girl)?

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

for a starter, an invitation to dine out in a good restaurant will make her jump in joy!

. . and when the two of you are comfortably dining, have some small talk and try to squeeze our of her what kind of things she would like from you.  Perfume?  Going shopping for a nice & reliable pair of quality shoes? More dining out?

Small things first, house & car later!

21 minutes ago, crazygreg44 said:

for a starter, an invitation to dine out in a good restaurant will make her jump in joy!

. . and when the two of you are comfortably dining, have some small talk and try to squeeze our of her what kind of things she would like from you.  Perfume?  Going shopping for a nice & reliable pair of quality shoes? More dining out?

Small things first, house & car later!

Thanks for your input buddy!

Yeah, i got the restaurant/food part figured out from day one. I guess what I’m looking for now is stuff similar to what you would find in "what are Thai women like" articles all over the internet but specifically about Isaan women as they tend to be a bit different than your average BKK woman (which is who the articles mostly focus on). Generic stuff basically.

Small things is all im concerned about at the moment. Would like to know about menality as well

Probably dated 3 Issan girls and wound up married to one :sad:

I've noticed a few similarities, being..

Very very strong family ties.  Family above all else.
They love eating and I would guess food takes up about 80% of their thought process
They love clothes and shoes and don't have expensive taste
They're not big risk takers.  
They are very easy going and can put up with pretty much anything
The other 20% of their though process is how can they make their skin more white
They love the simple life
They don't mind a traditional kind of relationship, by that I mean even though I never asked my wife to, she always likes to do the cleaning and washing and cooking.  I've only had a chance to cook one meal so far in the three months we've been married.
They avoid conflict and disagreement at all cost.

2 minutes ago, akirasan said:

They love eating and I would guess food takes up about 80% of their thought process
The other 20% of their though process is how can they make their skin more white
They don't mind a traditional kind of relationship, by that I mean even though I never asked my wife to, she always likes to do the cleaning and washing and cooking.  I've only had a chance to cook one meal so far in the three months we've been married.

WOW! That pretty much sums up exactly how she is, i mean to a tee - except the skin part. Just wow!

Food is her comfort. I used to think that it’s just her personal weakness - an addiction like that of ppl i'd seen on t.v shows. Didn’t know the whole town was like that. Feel like there is a factory somewhere in the village where they install the same version personality chip in each one as soon as they are born.

If your wife already has plenty of money then buying something she could get herself won't carry as much weight.

In my wifes case the most important thing to her is her family and the best gift i could give her is either spending time with them or giving something to her mother. Unfortunately i can't stand the sight of them so I got her one of those comemorative royal watches (Thai numerals and big '9') they have been selling recently.

3 minutes ago, Orac said:

If your wife already has plenty of money then buying something she could get herself won't carry as much weight.

In my wifes case the most important thing to her is her family and the best gift i could give her is either spending time with them or giving something to her mother. Unfortunately i can't stand the sight of them so I got her one of those comemorative royal watches (Thai numerals and big '9') they have been selling recently.

I liked the humorous switch of tone halfway through your post which caught me off guard.

1 hour ago, akirasan said:

To that I would add "free food" either from the woods, fields, ponds (anyone's will do) or another house,

also eating with other people and inviting others to eat with them.

13 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

To that I would add "free food" either from the woods, fields, ponds (anyone's will do) or another house,

also eating with other people and inviting others to eat with them.

Oh god yes this is a great point and I can't believe I forgot it.

My wife always goes to the temple to make merit and comes back with a backpack full of food.  They have no issue coming into your yard and picking your bananas, mangos etc..everyone does it to everyone else.  Actually I quite like their concept of sharing everything in the small villages.  One of the students rocked up to our house on Saturday with a big bag of vegetables for us.  

Archived