What do Isaan women really like?

Csaw

13 hours ago, sinbin said:

We see the same thing Berkshire. At the end of the day, due to our cultural differences, a Thai lady deep down prefers the company of Thai men over farang. Thai men know how to make a Thai lady enjoy herself. A Thai man knows what a Thai woman wants to hear. The two most important things after money. Given the chance on returning for a solo home visit 'rock bottom' Somchai suddenly looks very appealing.

Two of the saddest posts I have ever read on here. I feel sorry for you two. Must be hard living, feeling how you do. Maybe you should move on. 

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, puchooay said:

Two of the saddest posts I have ever read on here. I feel sorry for you two. Must be hard living, feeling how you do. Maybe you should move on. 

What are you on about?  You think being honest with oneself is sad?  Are you one of those guys who believes a BG when she calls you a "hansum man?"  Do you think every Thai women secretly wants to be with a farang?  Come on now.  I know where I stand in Thailand and I'm fine with that.  There will never be a shortage of quality women for quality men.  As such, I will never be alone in Thailand unless I choose to be.   

4 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

What are you on about?  You think being honest with oneself is sad?  Are you one of those guys who believes a BG when she calls you a "hansum man?"  Do you think every Thai women secretly wants to be with a farang?  Come on now.  I know where I stand in Thailand and I'm fine with that.  There will never be a shortage of quality women for quality men.  As such, I will never be alone in Thailand unless I choose to be.   

Nothing about every Thai woman. You said quality Thai women would choose a Thai man over a farang. 

So you mean that wives of farang are not quality women. Nice thing to say. Fortunately most people will not take much offence, as I didn't, and put it down to the usual idiot talking rubbish. 

2 hours ago, puchooay said:

It's not a 'feeling'. It happens. If you want to shut your eyes and play '3 wise monkeys' then you carry on. Another ostrich in the LOS..

41 minutes ago, puchooay said:

Nothing about every Thai woman. You said quality Thai women would choose a Thai man over a farang. 

So you mean that wives of farang are not quality women. Nice thing to say. Fortunately most people will not take much offence, as I didn't, and put it down to the usual idiot talking rubbish. 

Since you want to trade insults, perhaps I can suggest that you're the idiot talking rubbish.  I said most Thai women would prefer a quality Thai man over a foreigner....which would include Japanese, Koreans, farangs, etc.  But since quality Thai men don't exactly grow on trees, there's enough quality women to go around for all of us (well, maybe not you).  But you and a few other simpletons seem to believe that all or most Thai women prefer farangs, which is nonsense. 

1 hour ago, Berkshire said:

Since you want to trade insults, perhaps I can suggest that you're the idiot talking rubbish.  I said most Thai women would prefer a quality Thai man over a foreigner....which would include Japanese, Koreans, farangs, etc.  But since quality Thai men don't exactly grow on trees, there's enough quality women to go around for all of us (well, maybe not you).  But you and a few other simpletons seem to believe that all or most Thai women prefer farangs, which is nonsense. 

I have never said anything of the sort. I said your post was sad. Please quote me where I said anything about Thai women. I have only ever quoted you and Sinbin. 

My wife is a quality woman, thank you. Together for 17 years and going strong. We can communicate in three different languages. We and enjoy and respect each others' culture. That is why we have been together for so long.

I am anything but some guy with his head in the sand. 

The usual suspects who bang on about Thai women not being truthful are those who have been fleeced. Or those that come to Thailand and expect others to adapt to their ways. Or maybe the guys that come on here and talk about how they banish the family from their house by building walls and locked gates. 

Please read what I write before you start accusing me of saying things that I haven't said. 

1 minute ago, puchooay said:

I have never said anything of the sort. I said your post was sad. Please quote me where I said anything about Thai women. I have only ever quoted to and Sinbin. 

My wife is a quality woman, thank you. Together for 17 years and going strong. We can communicate in three different languages. We and enjoy and respect each others' culture. That is why we have been together for so long.

I am anything but some guy with his head in the sand. 

The usual suspects who bang on about Thai women not being truthful are those who have been fleeced. Or those that come to Thailand and expect others to adapt to their ways. Or maybe the guys that come on here and talk about how they banish the family from their house by building walls and locked gates. 

Please read what I write before you start accusing me of saying things that I haven't said. 

How does a woman become a quality woman? 

All criteria being equal: A Thai woman would prefer a Thai man over a Farang. But:

- A Thai-Lady, upwards a certain age, will not be without children from a previous marriage. For a Thai Man, this comes with a "stigma". (A "used" article). Unless wealthy and/or very beautiful, she can only re-marry a Thai Man that is below her standing on the "Social-Latter".

- This is where Farangs come in: They are far less sensitive when it comes to the "used-article-syndrome".
This in itself, plus the fact that Farangs (usually) can provide for a stable financial environement, (unlike "Somchai") makes them attractive canidates for Thai-Ladies contemplating re-marriage. IMHO, those 2 traits are the "sex-appeal" that Farangs have in the eyes of a Thai-Lady in a situation as described above.

Of course, in some rare cases, a Thai-Lady may find it attractive, when a Farang is massively overweight, featuring a beer-belly plus a double-chin and the hairs growing out of his ears are older than her kids from a previous marriage.
I dare to say, that this scenario would rather be the exeption than the rule.
Cheers.

11 hours ago, puchooay said:

Quality is in the eye of the beholder. 

Quality women ,    under 30 years,  and  below 45kg . 555

TLC ,  is all they want .  money not important , enough is OK . 

Gambling

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Infidelity, lying, greed, theft etc: are some other hidden attributes my ex-isaan girlfriend portrayed to me on a normal daily basis. She was one of the nicer ones lol

I think the Thai work situation comes into play also. For older retired guys it's OK, they are seen as done their time and can relax.

But for others, do they (women) want to slave over a hot till/oven/stall while their farang husbands either teach for low money or scuttle around pretending not to work?

There are not too many women (Thai or otherwise) who would take on that liability without some cunning secret 'get out' clause.

Working on a life together makes a relationship stronger. I know of many  women who work knowing that they are building a better life with their partner and also understanding the value of money.

My wife has, over the past 10 years or so, built up a very profitable business. With this she has been able to buy things that she wants and has made a better life for herself. Maybe this should be part of the meaning of a "quality woman"

There are many values on this thread that are a little biased towards the  woman but should also be directed at some of the males in relationships. Infidelity is probably high on that list. With that comes lies. How many times do we hear a male talking about how they have rendezvous with other women???. It only takes a jealous or angry lady or man to see or hear that and and pass on the news and then, hey presto, the lady is a bitch for kicking the husband out.

After 17 years of successful marriage, my first anywhere, I think I probably know what I am talking about. I don't need anyone trying to tell me I am wrong, particularly those that have ballsed their relationship up and been driven out of their home.

Lots of different opinions and experiences here. As for myself, no way could my experiences here with Thai women be near as bad with my ex farang wife. When I met my Thai wife, she was 35 years old, never married and had no children. She is definitely her own person. That didn't/ doesn't bother me because I was not interested in an immature clinging vine for a wife.

She has four sisters and no brothers. I used to tease her about finding a handsome Thai man. She didn't like hearing that. She tells me to look at the Thai men her sisters married. Three of the four get knocked around on a regular basis. One sister is pretty independent, about like my wife. She has a good husband. No way would she put up with her husband beating her.

Anywhere in the world, old men with trophy wives are bound to have problems and be taken advantage of. I was good friends with one of the male Thai engineers I worked with. He was my mentor when I first came over here in 1991. We talked about age differences. Most Thai men marry younger women than themselves. He told me that a good rule is half the man's age plus seven years. He said that seems to usually work out well and Thai people won't think that you are stupid by having a too young of a wife.

On 18/04/2017 at 6:22 PM, Berkshire said:

Quality women ??  What constitutes a 'quality' woman.

8 hours ago, drgoon said:

Quality women ??  What constitutes a 'quality' woman.

That's a loaded question because, obviously, it's different for everyone.  But some of the basic traits...honesty, conscientiousness, not greedy, reasonably attractive, educated (not PhD but some education), compassionate, good family, not just looking for a farang, etc.  Some other traits which may be more based on individual preference would be English skills, age, childless, level of attractiveness, sexual history, ambition, etc.

The question is, how would YOU define a quality woman?  There is your answer. 

I would class my late mother in law as a quality woman.

Very poor

Had 4 children

Took in 4 more to look after

Never complained or asked for anything

No schooling but was sharp as a knife.

Never any problem

Died at 82 in her village

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/17/2017 at 8:52 AM, Csaw said:

WOW! That pretty much sums up exactly how she is, i mean to a tee - except the skin part. Just wow!

Food is her comfort. I used to think that it’s just her personal weakness - an addiction like that of ppl i'd seen on t.v shows. Didn’t know the whole town was like that. Feel like there is a factory somewhere in the village where they install the same version personality chip in each one as soon as they are born.

I go along with Akirasan's list but with a variation. Item 4 about not being risk takers might be deceptive. The Isaan girls turn up worldwide at a ratio close to 3-1  of any other Thai girls. They are confident and complete in themselves. They need no support system to pick them up when they stumble. They DO love to gamble - seems a genetic affliction of eastern Thailand...lol Generally they love a beer, partial to dry red wine when introduced to it, and not too fussed about whiskey.

I speak from experience. My wife is an Isaan girl and one of the hardest working people i ever met.... I really mean that.

Oh and yes...generally a lot of them hate Bangkok. One day or two days is fine if shopping is involved, but then they are over it and ready to bolt.

My 2nd Thai wife was from Isaan.  #1 was from the Phayao area.  One was a college educated Teacher. The other only a 4th grade education and a farmers daughter.  My almost Thai wife #3 was also Isaan,  Her identical twin was a teacher, as was their mother.  In my 50+ years of Thai culture exposure, I've determined 80% of their time is devoted to FOOD.  If they are not eating, or preparing food, they are purchasing, picking, or gathering ingredients for the next meal.  Education level &  family background didn't matter, FOOD is the all consuming motivator.    I've never been to any Thai household, (family or not,) where they didn't spread the mat on the floor and have food.

I lived in Bangkok for 3+ years as a US Army soldier.   Most of the Bar girls were from Isaan.  They had two desires.  Enough money to send home, and FOOD. 

I like Thai food, so that is a plus for me.  

Outlaw11wa   That gambling addiction isn't just Isaan. My #1, (from Phayao,) was far worse than #2 or the almost #3.  Those that settle in the US don't lose that gambling addiction.  

9 hours ago, Bob49428 said:

My 2nd Thai wife was from Isaan.  #1 was from the Phayao area.  One was a college educated Teacher. The other only a 4th grade education and a farmers daughter.  My almost Thai wife #3 was also Isaan,  Her identical twin was a teacher, as was their mother.  In my 50+ years of Thai culture exposure, I've determined 80% of their time is devoted to FOOD.  If they are not eating, or preparing food, they are purchasing, picking, or gathering ingredients for the next meal.  Education level &  family background didn't matter, FOOD is the all consuming motivator.    I've never been to any Thai household, (family or not,) where they didn't spread the mat on the floor and have food.

I lived in Bangkok for 3+ years as a US Army soldier.   Most of the Bar girls were from Isaan.  They had two desires.  Enough money to send home, and FOOD. 

I like Thai food, so that is a plus for me.  

Outlaw11wa   That gambling addiction isn't just Isaan. My #1, (from Phayao,) was far worse than #2 or the almost #3.  Those that settle in the US don't lose that gambling addiction.  

Good that you mention this obsession with food. I have also noted that and I dislike it immensely.

Living just north of BKK. Have a friend from my home country with an Isaan wife, visits me frequently when in loS.

When he comes with wife, and maybe one or two other friends from my country we have plans;

Sit in my sala have a few cold ones then off to a restaurant in the vicinity.

The party arrives, 3 minutes later the sala is flooded with food. I say; what the <deleted>? we're going to a restaurant.

Get that <deleted> food away - throw it in the canal. Crocodiles and fish will take care of it.

Isaan lass know that we're off to a restaurant but don't bloody understand that you don't eat a big meal 2 hours before going to a restaurant.

I have adapted to this now. When the party arrives I meet 'em at the gate and say you are now guests in my house

and you do what I tell you to do, AND YOU DO NOT MAKE ANY FOOD OR SERVE ANY FOOD.

We will do the food bit in a couple of hours in a decent restaurant.

Difficult to come to grips with this food obsession in Isaan.

Just a common theme.

01. farang meets Isaan girl in Pattaya.
02. farang sh-gs Issan girl.
03. farang marries Issan girl.
04. girl takes farang home to meet her family.
05. family borrow a little of farang's money.
06. family pay money back as they said they would.
07. family suggests a business idea that can't fail.
08. wife turns nympho
09. farang lends family all he has for business venture.
10. business goes kaput - all money lost.
11. farang asks for loan to be repaid.
12. family get angry with bad farang.
13. wife and farang start to argue.
14. wife questions why farang is now so poor.
15. wife turns celebate.
16. divorce/suicide/accidental death.

Farang beware!

Sounds like a her daughters future (and thereby her own) is her priority. In that case I would say a laptop or desktop for the family if they haven't already got one and an online course, maybe in English language (or Chinese), or something of her own choosing.

Tell the daughter if she completes the course with good results she can keep your computer, but secretly tell the mother before you are planning to let her keep it anyway but only saying that to give her incentive. Your GF or wife (not sure which) will always have a place in her heart for you after this.

In short the way to a good womans heart is to show you've got one.

On 5/22/2017 at 6:20 PM, owl sees all said:

Just a common theme.

01. farang meets Isaan girl in Pattaya.
02. farang sh-gs Issan girl.
03. farang marries Issan girl.
04. girl takes farang home to meet her family.
05. family borrow a little of farang's money.
06. family pay money back as they said they would.
07. family suggests a business idea that can't fail.
08. wife turns nympho
09. farang lends family all he has for business venture.
10. business goes kaput - all money lost.
11. farang asks for loan to be repaid.
12. family get angry with bad farang.
13. wife and farang start to argue.
14. wife questions why farang is now so poor.
15. wife turns celebate.
16. divorce/suicide/accidental death.

Farang beware!

May I suggest:- 

06a. Farang buys new car. (Pick up is best as family can use it as well on the farm.)

06b. Buys land (Even though the land is already hers)

06c. House build.

06d. Isaan girl finally finishes with Somchai, the boyfriend. And other sponsors.

You really only need to keep one thing in mind. "A fool and his money are soon parted". It appears that men forget the love experience disasters they had in their home country.

On 5/21/2017 at 10:26 PM, melvinmelvin said:

Difficult to come to grips with this food obsession in Isaan.

I feel the same. And I cannot understand this obsession of whatever they're eating that they have to post a photo of it on 'Farcebook'.

5 minutes ago, Gary A said:

It appears that men forget the love experience disasters they had in their home country.

True, but Thailand is a totally different ball game and the pitfalls are so much different. Very easy to get caught out if one hasn't done ones homework.

23 hours ago, sinbin said:

True, but Thailand is a totally different ball game and the pitfalls are so much different. Very easy to get caught out if one hasn't done ones homework.

How is it different? A divorce in the US totally gutted me. No way could I lose that much here. A substantial portion of my savings remains in the US and cannot be touched by my Thai wife. If worse comes to worse, both the Thai courts and the US courts will make you the the loser.

You've got things about right GaryA, then again you live in Thailand full time so can form an honest opinion, unlike most of the posts on this topic that stereotype people.

Sometimes I wonder how many ThaiVisa members have actually ever been to Thailand for more than a 2 week holiday or if ever at all, they seem to know nothing.

How's our old friend Roger by the way ?

Archived