Homosexuality revealed in Thailand

redwinecheese

:sorry:

God bless Thais

Not going deep talking about how homosexuality came into the lives of human nature but by simply pointing out real facts behind

why would some people do not want to be living normal as it has been historically proven since life was originated as man and woman joint-venture.

Homosexuality is not what it is to be believed else where! but basically Thai homosexuality is professionally approached, it is a choice mostly preferred because 

income! funny and extremely understandable I find it.   Some like to be gays or ladyboys here simply because NOT of genetically issue as developed world countries still disguise

anyone who even try to state different opinion about it? In Thailand it is a way of living for all mighty dollar which every human must have in order to survive.

Oh Thailand I always get in love with you more every time I open my eyes the next day.

It is really LOS so, please smile before you reply

.:smile:

go a head call me a freak but it is up to you

Well, I hope we don't get into a big discussion about being gay as a choice.  

For the Ladyboys, I think they have a pretty bleak existence on the whole.   Job opportunities are few and far between.   I've worked with a few who were extremely talented, but it was only their exceptional talent that got them a job.   Anytime there has been a close option, the katoey is out of the running.   The same thing is true for gays, but it is less of an issue.  

Thais are fairly tolerant, but much of that is because they don't like confrontation and the best way to avoid that is to be tolerant.  

There are plenty of gay-for-pay people, but the commercial side of things is quite visible, but in the scheme of things, it is not big.   There's as much action in the toilet at the local Big C as some bars and there's no one collecting any money.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

This will run and run, as it has for years. Nature/nurture. Cures don't work. Some people are left-handed. blah blah. Kinsey. Blah blah.

When I lived at Aree, Big C at S. Kwai was heaving all day long. The malls at Rama 9 are also heaving, according to a friend who lives there. Only a small amount of the activity is for filthy lucre. Most of the young men want the same fun as young men have enjoyed for thousands of years. End of.

:sorry:
God bless Thais
Not going deep talking about how homosexuality came into the lives of human nature but by simply pointing out real facts behind
why would some people do not want to be living normal as it has been historically proven since life was originated as man and woman joint-venture.
Homosexuality is not what it is to be believed else where! but basically Thai homosexuality is professionally approached, it is a choice mostly preferred because 
income! funny and extremely understandable I find it.   Some like to be gays or ladyboys here simply because NOT of genetically issue as developed world countries still disguise
anyone who even try to state different opinion about it? In Thailand it is a way of living for all mighty dollar which every human must have in order to survive.
Oh Thailand I always get in love with you more every time I open my eyes the next day.
It is really LOS so, please smile before you reply
.:smile:
go a head call me a freak but it is up to you

I would like to tell you what you are but the authoritarian owners of Thaivisa would censor and ban me

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I am not gay, but i do not beleive any sane, educated and normal person would be foolish enough to deliberately choose to be gay, given the prejudices they have to perhaps face everyday. But i have also read about straight young isaan boys prostituting themselves to elderly gays.

9 minutes ago, saakura said:

I am not gay, but i do not beleive any sane, educated and normal person would be foolish enough to deliberately choose to be gay, given the prejudices they have to perhaps face everyday. But i have also read about straight young isaan boys prostituting themselves to elderly gays.

You're confusing sexual acts with sexual orientation.

8 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

You're confusing sexual acts with sexual orientation.

I am saying that normally, sexual acts reflect sexual orientation. But here, there may be some boys who do not conform to this general rule. And i thought that was what the OP was also about?

33 minutes ago, saakura said:

I am saying that normally, sexual acts reflect sexual orientation. But here, there may be some boys who do not conform to this general rule. And i thought that was what the OP was also about?

I'm saying you're oversimplifying the motivations that people have to do sex acts. Also, to label all people as "purely" gay or straight just doesn't reflect reality. Not even close.

4 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I'm saying you're oversimplifying the motivations that people have to do sex acts. Also, to label all people as "purely" gay or straight just doesn't reflect reality. Not even close.

As my post mentioned "I am saying that normally, sexual acts reflect sexual orientation." , the word 'normally' has the same connotation as 'generally', so i am not labelling all people as "purely" gay or straight.

1 minute ago, saakura said:

As my post mentioned "I am saying that normally, sexual acts reflect sexual orientation." , the word 'normally' has the same connotation as 'generally', so i am not labelling all people as "purely" gay or straight.

Google -- Kinsey scale.

Different societies deal with this differently.

The very idea of labeling people as gay is a relatively MODERN concept. 

The labeling conventions are different in different societies.

On 6/29/2017 at 11:44 PM, Jingthing said:

Google -- Kinsey scale.

Different societies deal with this differently.

The very idea of labeling people as gay is a relatively MODERN concept. 

The labeling conventions are different in different societies.

Taboos on same sex sexual relations here in Thailand can be quite blurry...I think there is more of a taboo now because of modern culture but the more I live here the more I see how Thai people can enjoy sex from same or other sex partners and not feel they have to label themselves as anything....

All depends in what time and country one lives in. In the "dark ages", homosexuals were burnt at the stakes.

Not so with the Old Greeks, (the "inventors" of Democracy, Science, and the Arts). Homosexuality, even Phaedofileie was part of the social order and nothing to get exited about. Half of the population must have been Bi-Sexual, at least.

Not to the detriment of a later emerging power that today we call "Europe", that took it's clues from the "old greeks". Not all, appearantly.

While today's scholars will not tire to mention the "achievements" of the "old greeks", the part of accepted homosexuality and Phaedofilie among the old greeks is best been kept under the Historical-Rug.
Cheers.

8 hours ago, swissie said:

All depends in what time and country one lives in. In the "dark ages", homosexuals were burnt at the stakes.

Not so with the Old Greeks, (the "inventors" of Democracy, Science, and the Arts). Homosexuality, even Phaedofileie was part of the social order and nothing to get exited about. Half of the population must have been Bi-Sexual, at least.

Not to the detriment of a later emerging power that today we call "Europe", that took it's clues from the "old greeks". Not all, appearantly.

While today's scholars will not tire to mention the "achievements" of the "old greeks", the part of accepted homosexuality and Phaedofilie among the old greeks is best been kept under the Historical-Rug.
Cheers.

Centuries after the Old Greeks, Europe turned very anti-gay. And they exported the homophobia to their colonies.

8 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Typically, as so many people do, you're confusing sexual acts with considering gay as an IDENTITY.

Considering gay as an identity is a relatively modern thing and also a WESTERN thing in origin. 

It wasn't an issue before. You have sex with men or women, you love men or women, who cared? The modern society put it into boxes and affixed labels, that's what the modern Western thing is.

• 1 month later...
On ‎7‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 8:43 AM, onthemoon said:

It wasn't an issue before. You have sex with men or women, you love men or women, who cared? The modern society put it into boxes and affixed labels, that's what the modern Western thing is.

Nonsense.

It was always an important issue.

If you believe the religious views espoused by the ancient Hebrews and the early Christians were divinely inspired, that God set these notions forth, then there are no more questions to ask about them. If you think, however, that religious rules likely grew out of extrareligious concerns [such as the desire to dominate women and for racial purity] then you must try to understand what some of those concerns were and from where they came.

One of the tortures described by the Chechen men who were detained earlier this year was that their tormenters in addition to subjecting them to beating, starving, and electrical shocks, called them by women's names. This in fact is another example of the status of women in society and gives evidence of the recurrent misogyny in views about sex that has been present and powerful throughout history and across cultures.

Consider the swinging Greeks and Romans. They had no problem with homosexual activity, but the participants were not viewed equally. The receptive partner during anal and oral sex was cast in that most dreaded role: woman. That was fine for a boy before he reached manhood. It was not so great for an adult to have his manhood taken from him by being made to resemble the inferior female. 

Even during the most sexually open periods, women were judged by a different standard than men. They were given less freedom and suffered for their participation in sex even in cultures that were supposedly sexually progressive.

Many of the regulations and draconian laws against sodomy could be found in places and among people who had never heard of - or certainly can't be said to be affected by - the passages in Old Testament Leviticus, the early Christians, Augustine, or Aquinas. This suggests we may have to look beyond the influence of any one religion to understand how and why we have set the rules of sex by which we have lived. What does it mean to be a man? What does it mean to be a woman? These are questions that humans have struggled to answer probably from the beginning of human history. Religion is only one way we have attempted to establish answers to them. 

Engaging with other possible influences more fully - specifically efforts throughout history to control women and perpetuate negative attitudes about women - would bring a needed perspective to this analysis.

On 8/16/2017 at 10:27 AM, AnnaBanana said:

Nonsense.

It was always an important issue.

If you believe the religious views espoused by the ancient Hebrews and the early Christians were divinely inspired, that God set these notions forth, then there are no more questions to ask about them. If you think, however, that religious rules likely grew out of extrareligious concerns [such as the desire to dominate women and for racial purity] then you must try to understand what some of those concerns were and from where they came.

One of the tortures described by the Chechen men who were detained earlier this year was that their tormenters in addition to subjecting them to beating, starving, and electrical shocks, called them by women's names. This in fact is another example of the status of women in society and gives evidence of the recurrent misogyny in views about sex that has been present and powerful throughout history and across cultures.

Consider the swinging Greeks and Romans. They had no problem with homosexual activity, but the participants were not viewed equally. The receptive partner during anal and oral sex was cast in that most dreaded role: woman. That was fine for a boy before he reached manhood. It was not so great for an adult to have his manhood taken from him by being made to resemble the inferior female. 

Even during the most sexually open periods, women were judged by a different standard than men. They were given less freedom and suffered for their participation in sex even in cultures that were supposedly sexually progressive.

Many of the regulations and draconian laws against sodomy could be found in places and among people who had never heard of - or certainly can't be said to be affected by - the passages in Old Testament Leviticus, the early Christians, Augustine, or Aquinas. This suggests we may have to look beyond the influence of any one religion to understand how and why we have set the rules of sex by which we have lived. What does it mean to be a man? What does it mean to be a woman? These are questions that humans have struggled to answer probably from the beginning of human history. Religion is only one way we have attempted to establish answers to them. 

Engaging with other possible influences more fully - specifically efforts throughout history to control women and perpetuate negative attitudes about women - would bring a needed perspective to this analysis.

You seem to have done some research on this, and your post is highly interesting - too bad you had to use that word in the first line. 

You are focused very much on gender inequality and say that homosexual men where accepted as long as the receiving partner agreed to be degraded to woman status. This assumes a gender role in gay relationships which is not necessarily true. That aside, I can believe that there are enough examples for what you outline (references would be nice, though) but I would certainly go deeper and see whether there are also examples of societies in which gay or lesbian couples were accepted "as is". Before Christianisation. I am thinking here especially about colonies in Asia and Africa rather than European countries whose culture, as you correctly say, may have led to homophobia to be included in the holy scriptures of the Judeo-Christian religions. 

I saw  this report about a gay parade in California and they interviewed random passers-by and asked what they thought about it. An immigrant from a West African country found the thought of homosexuality horrible, because "we don't want that in West Africa". Well, that may reflect the current culture, but was that the same before the colonialists came and brought "civilisation" to the tribal societies? How many tribes had condemned homosexuality before they were told it is something bad?

And how about Asian societies before colonisation? What were Chinese beliefs and views about it before the missionaries came?

I have not found any research about homosexuality in pre-colonial and pre-missionary Africa or Asia yet. I you can point me into the right direction, I would be grateful. 

Archived