DSI probes lecturers’ fake academic records

webfact

DSI probes lecturers’ fake academic records
By Piyanuch Thamnukasetchai
The Nation

260dd23d9865ef2c0cc1657c2f2c3a9e.jpeg

Weerachai

BANGKOK: -- SOME UNIVERSITY lecturers have used fake degrees to secure teaching positions at prestigious institutions, according to a complaint lodged to the Department of Special Investigation (DSI).

Assoc Prof Weerachai Phutdhawong, in his capacity as secretary-general of the Coordinating Centre for the Public Higher Education Staff, yesterday called on the DSI to investigate a website that had advertised surprisingly short courses for various degrees including doctorates.

Bogus website suspected

Weerachai said he suspected that the website had sold fake degrees and it seemed to have links to an institution known as World Peace University.

Full story: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30304265

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-01-17

I can personally attest to two academics "acquiring" phd's in India without ever entering a library, opening a booking, considering a thesis topic and certainly not being able to speak English despite the fact that English was the language of the dissertation!!! It was defended in India by a proxy. Got the photos. Absurd. No end to corruption and face that money wont buy.

Academia and Thailand is a laugh!!

1 hour ago, ezzra said:

Wa' a' shocker... fake credentials and diplomas used to gain higher positions....

probably an oversight, as these things do not happened in this country....

I worry more about the credentials of someone suddenly thinking this is news to anyone

I can imagine this is rampant here. Whether your degree was bought online, or you went to some local university, the difference can be very small.

I've spoken to some Thai teachers who teach English. They could barely string a sentence together (if at all). Oh, they only teach grammar, you say? Well, you'd expect someone who teachers grammar to maybe apply it better when speaking. It certainly wouldn't fill your students with confidence. 

I think their time might be better spent looking for fake degrees in various ministries. Looking at beach improvements, some turnouts (proper design IF drove on other side of the road....) on second road here in Jomtien, I have the feeling that perhaps they just find picture on net and copy that. 

3 hours ago, rkidlad said:

I can imagine this is rampant here. Whether your degree was bought online, or you went to some local university, the difference can be very small.

I've spoken to some Thai teachers who teach English. They could barely string a sentence together (if at all). Oh, they only teach grammar, you say? Well, you'd expect someone who teachers grammar to maybe apply it better when speaking. It certainly wouldn't fill your students with confidence. 

Your imagination is running away! The UBS - University of Bar Stools isn't a good source other than for urban myths.

Many organizations will not accept on-line degrees for very good reason and the request for full transcripts is now the norm. There was one lot calling themselves Canterbury University operating out of a post box in the NW of UK and registered in the Maldives who were flogging Master's and Doctorates. Saw a few Indians on LinkedIn proudly boasting their MBA and DBA from this non existent University who award degrees on the strength of your CV.

On-line false degrees is a world wide phenomenon and problem.

This gentlemen is right to highlight it.

I live next door to the local school (P1 - M3). A while back the head teacher asked me if I would help the english teacher with something he was having a problem with.

After a couple of minutes it became apparent what the problem was. The teacher could neither read nor speak English. It was as simple as that.

Mind you, they had a storming 12 hour karaoke and drinking session on Friday last - to celebrate Students Day and Teachers Day, all dolled up in their best khaki...

8 hours ago, optad said:

I can personally attest to two academics "acquiring" phd's in India without ever entering a library, opening a booking, considering a thesis topic and certainly not being able to speak English despite the fact that English was the language of the dissertation!!! It was defended in India by a proxy. Got the photos. Absurd. No end to corruption and face that money wont buy.

Academia and Thailand is a laugh!!

Why go to India??? much cheaper down the Koah San Road...

Archived