Minivan couple robbed Indian tourists and left them by the road in Krabi

webfact

Minivan couple robbed Indian tourists and left them by the road in Krabi

3p.jpg

Picture: Thai News Agency

KRABI: -- A minivan driver and her accomplice who robbed two Indian tourists have been arrested in Krabi.

The tourists had hired the van to take them from Hat Yai to Bangkok but on the way they encountered flooded roads and it was decided that the tourists would fly from Krabi to Bangkok to complete their journey.

But instead of taking them to the airport the driver Kanwara Chuchuay, 27, and man in the back, Tawatchai Na Takuatung, 30, stopped at a gas station. There Tawatchai pulled out a knife and robbed the tourists of two smartphones and Thai and US  currency, reports Thai News Agency.

The tourists were then dumped at an intersection in Krabi Yai district while the two thieves split up and arranged to meet later on Koh Lanta.

The incident happened on January 5th. Police in Krabi arrested the suspects and yesterday took them on a reenactment where the Indian tourists did the pointing to identify the thieves.

Source: Thai News Agency

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-01-17

17 minutes ago, guzzi850m2 said:

That driver is not very smart, caught 12 days after his crimes.

He will likely serve a lengthy time behind bars, robbing people at knife point is not taking lightly even here.

500 baht fine and a public wai.  Put right back on the road to rob more tourists.

1 hour ago, guzzi850m2 said:

He will likely serve a lengthy time behind bars, robbing people at knife point is not taking lightly even here.

I'd like to believe that, but we rarely read about the actual resolution of crimes like this with foreigners as victims.  And when we do, it's usually the foreigner (or one of his survivors) complaining to the back-home media about the lack of justice they received in Thailand.

I'd love to see another website similar to farang-deaths (or whatever) that posts up the actual punishment meted out.  Not enough to risk doing it myself, though.  I like my paycheck- which requires I live in BKK to collect it.  

Maybe after I repatriate.  Nah.

Edit: and I don't count the few like the Hua Hin kerfuffle where they had to do something because of the social media exposure.  And to be honest, does anyone know what happened to those guys?  Did they actually serve out their sentences?  Or was it just window dressing?

"Thais have been told all they need to do is smile and everything will be alright". Says TAT.

I hope these crims did as TAT suggested and smiled at the tourists as they cleaned them out of their valuables. That should make them feel "alright" I don't think!

9 hours ago, guzzi850m2 said:

That driver is not very smart, caught 12 days after his crimes.

If you read the report properly, you will see it implies a female driver 
KRABI: -- A minivan driver and her accomplice who robbed two Indian tourists have been arrested in Krabi.

Fortunate the tourists were able to remain in Thailand long enough to identify the thieves and assist the police in finding them. Usually not the case as most tourists have to go home and cannot afford to hang around.

I believe criminal act against tourists should carry extra punishment as they affect the 'good name' of Thailand.

Archived