If the Thais just smile all the tourists will come flooding back!

webfact

18 hours ago, Bullie said:

I've been hearing very good things about Cambodia lately.... 30 percent cheaper, genuine smiles, infrastructure much improved, very palatable food (french influence!) for the farang taste at normal prices. Even the chinese tourists are happier there. Easy visa's, beautiful beaches and women and still an abundance of nature to enjoy.

The Thai can start smiling all they want again,  they are loosing the race for the "quality tourists", and all this can only end in tears for them.

You had me booking my next trip there until you mentioned the Chinese!

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, louse1953 said:

Jeez mate,how could you be so wrong on all counts.Don't blame Australia's decline and your poverty on Thailand,look closer to Canberra.A wise man cashed in big time at 32 baht and is still living of it,i knew it wouldn't last.Should have been here in the late 90's,17 baht/$a1.

Hi Mate,

I should have been more accurate. Thai Bah is artificially fixed to US dollar Look at this link Notice how the graphs between US and Thai are almost same over a 10 year period. US goes up Thai goes up US down and Thai down etc. etc. http://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=USD&to=THB&view=10Y 

That's over 10 years. I also know the fixed rate in Thailand was removed in 1997 but is now artificially fixed.

Plus Austrail is not a poverty country. It' is one of the strongest in the world . Look at this link http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2016/06/06/australia-greatest-economy-ever_n_10323242.html

PS I'm not poor believe me. Just debating the silly diference between AU and Bah rates. So finally mate HOW CAN YOU GET IT SO WRONG?

PSS What's your friend buying years ago at 32 bah got to do with this topic? Good luck to him that he did.

Correct, they just don't get it.  This place is losing its tourists because they just don't learn from their mistakes.

At school, mistakes are not allowed to be taught/discussed with regard to history so for generations, lessons learned by them have NEVER been taught.
It puts many situations here into perspective, I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

The Baht is relatively high because, unlike most Western countries, it has huge cash reserves instead of running trillions in debt.

Many factors at play such as nice looking currency for investor confidence, but they need to look at it to save their tourism or people will go elsewhere for better value. People came to Thailand before because it was cheap. That's it. It no longer is and it's only really the thrifty Chinese that are keeping the figures up. A 'strong' currency is good face value in these parts and those ThaiLites with their finger on the pulse get more bang for their buck when they amble around the world. The C word goes right the way up remember.

15 hours ago, sinbin said:

The reason why Thailand is known as the 'Land of Smiles' is because there are 13 ways in which a Thai smiles, and each has a name.

Thanks for the list and explanations   but I think I need  pictures of the various smiles...to me a smile is a smile is a smile !

how to tell the difference ?

I always laugh at the over exaggerated  inverted smile used to show disgust or contempt. ( used in every Thai soap opera )

1 hour ago, BlindMagician said:

So it's nothing to do with LoS being a military hichahorhip then, either directly or indirectly?

No of course not silly, 

"General Happiness" has ordered that all Thais are happy

if they are not happy then they must not be Thai and should either leave the country or be locked up.

On 17/01/2017 at 2:55 PM, Destiny1990 said:

Disagree cambodia is a true hell hole.thailand is a far better place to spend your time on every aspect maybe only the visa regulations procedure is a less hassle in cambo.

Sorry not so Cambodia to day is far superior to Thailand, People are more friendly and willing to help you. More Cambodians speak English than Thais do. Police do not stop and rip you off, no two tier pricing. Very surprised how good it was on my last visit a few months back. Next time fly to Vietnam and on to Cambodia, won't bother with thai again, its old hat and had its day.

Its not cheaper there, but much better quality, a very big surprise to me

15 minutes ago, wakeupplease said:

Sorry not so Cambodia to day is far superior to Thailand, People are more friendly and willing to help you. More Cambodians speak English than Thais do. Police do not stop and rip you off, no two tier pricing. Very surprised how good it was on my last visit a few months back. Next time fly to Vietnam and on to Cambodia, won't bother with thai again, its old hat and had its day.

Its not cheaper there, but much better quality, a very big surprise to me

What better quality?quality of the air pollution perhaps?cambodian police not corrupt ???.i had footmassage in siam reap 4 dollars.they ask me do u want ur legs also?i say sure.when finish i ask how much?8 dollar sir.i say ur signs outside say foot massage 4 dollar one hour.yes sir but sir u wanted legs also so then it 8 dollars...hahaja how about that crap.never happened to me in Thailand.hey u enjoy it there bye

What better quality?quality of the air pollution perhaps?cambodian police not corrupt [emoji3][emoji1][emoji1].i had footmassage in siam reap 4 dollars.they ask me do u want ur legs also?i say sure.when finish i ask how much?8 dollar sir.i say ur signs outside say foot massage 4 dollar one hour.yes sir but sir u wanted legs also so then it 8 dollars...hahaja how about that crap.never happened to me in Thailand.hey u enjoy it there bye

Sound to me like you paid for what you got so your problem, not theirs!

3 hours ago, DILLIGAD said:

Sound to me like you paid for what you got so your problem, not theirs!

Go to the 7/11 get a lays chip bag 0,20 bht in thailand and 1,40 usd in cambodia.u do the math.anyway i wish u a pleasant life in ur "superior" Cambodia.

The pound has dropped like a stone since brexit, Thailand can't change the exchange rate. At the moment it's 43.77 that's not good. In Philippines. Before brexit I was getting 68 now 60, makes a big difference. As an outsider who was considering coming there to live, there are several things that deter me from coming even for a visit.

1 the amount of violence there seems towards foreigners (pattaya especially) the amount of so called suicides, a man travels half way round the world just to strip naked and jump off a balcony, go swimming tie yourself to a post and cut your own throat. Hmmmm doesn't look good does it

2 being ripped off at every turn, motorbike hire, jet ski hire, etc  etc etc, I thought Philippines was bad enough but Thailand takes the biscuit.

3 prices going up and up but exchange rate falling  like a lead balloon. Nothing will change people perception of Thailand very quickly, a tourist goes to Thailand his whole family is attacked by a gang of youths gran is kicked in the head after being beaten to the ground, bad news travels fast, Thailand has Alyssa had the reputation for being the sex capital of the world, now it's getting expensive, even worse getting dangerous. When all this stops, slowly but very slowly they might start coming back.

I have had people on this site tell me how they view Philippines, scams bar girls etc. It's got a bad reputation, but in fact it's not that bad here as a tourist or an expat, but the reputation lingers on.

we can laugh when it's just nonsense.... but these same tourist folks do things such as having the transport ships that take you out to the various islands make detour side trips to include, very intentionally, and while being left for a lengthy time, to a particular spot that is somewhat iconic or unique... so that travelors will snap selfies at that location to advertside the particular island chain. the transport ship staff will then tell anyone asking "why the sidetrip?" with "we are allowing the Thai people to see things they wouldn't otherwise get to see because we love the Thai people"... etc etc. notwithstanding that (1) there's a reason we wear safety vests while on those transports (2) some travelors may have other plans or ideas of what to do with their vacation time than being herded along like lemmings (3) it's real obvious that they want us to adversize for them on social media.        

Archived