"You come next week .."

"You bring photo copy .."

Any additions to this list anybody ?  

Explanatory anecdotes welcome ..

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, daveAustin said:

In hardware store looking for very common part: MAI MEEEEE!!

One of the first lessons I learned is to never ask until I have looked as hard as I can.  Because once I've asked, and they've said "finished", there's face involved and it's too late to look for myself.  And there's been way too many times when they were wrong.

One of my students today asked me why I not speak Thai or understand a lot of Thai. With this I was lucky to have a map on the wall where I pointed to Thailand and said in Thai this is the only place that Thai is spoken as a first language. I then pointed to other countries and pointed out that English is either the first or second language spoken. My student soon realised that she had put her foot in her mouth. The arrogance of the student about Thai language was what annoyed me the most.

2 hours ago, Saastrajaa said:

Someday needs to learn to speak Thai.  You'd be amazed how much more intelligent/how much less annoying people sounds when speaking their native language.

I speak fluent Thai. Certain speakers still insist on using Mister as a pronoun to refer to me. It is irritating and sounds anything but intelligent.

<<<<Thai language edited out>>>>:post-4641-1156693976:

Thank God not much bothers me these days.  Having learned some very basic Thai has really made interacting more fun.  What really still bothers me I admit are number one,  lies.  In a close second is, "People speaking authoritatively about things they know nothing about."

49 minutes ago, chowny77 said:

One of my students today asked me why I not speak Thai or understand a lot of Thai. With this I was lucky to have a map on the wall where I pointed to Thailand and said in Thai this is the only place that Thai is spoken as a first language. I then pointed to other countries and pointed out that English is either the first or second language spoken. My student soon realised that she had put her foot in her mouth. The arrogance of the student about Thai language was what annoyed me the most.

How old was this student?

2 hours ago, Saastrajaa said:

Someday needs to learn to speak Thai.  You'd be amazed how much more intelligent/how much less annoying people sounds when speaking their native language.

Completely disagree with this.

If you speak the language you are privy ( unfortunately ) to overhear what they all chat about in normal conversations and everyday life, it's pathetic, like a nation of children....

Some would say 'ignorance is bliss'.

3 hours ago, impulse said:

One of the first lessons I learned is to never ask until I have looked as hard as I can.  Because once I've asked, and they've said "finished", there's face involved and it's too late to look for myself.  And there's been way too many times when they were wrong.

And if you ask the collegues will "come to help" so within 30 seconds there can be 10 of them staring at you and making fun.

Almost 70% of the time when they say mai mee i can find the product myself in their shop. So i won't speak to them at all. Also i like to enter their alleys from the backside so they don't see me going in.

3 hours ago, Saastrajaa said:

Hit the nail on the head... foreigners come here, can't read a newspaper, can't understand television news, can't even ask simple questions in a store or directions on the street - - and then, they call Thai people stupid. Sometimes it boggles the mind. 

3 hours ago, Saastrajaa said:

I don't care how well you speak the language, or what language you speak.  When you walk into 6 pharmacies in a row and ask for aspirin, and 6 times they tell you we may have some next year, that is some rampant stupidity going on.

25 minutes ago, farangUSA said:

It's the silence from expressionless faces as I struggle to get the right tone.

Try to learn some more vocabulary and listen to how they put sentences together... tones will be less important if you can speak in sentences and add context. Good luck and keep at it... everyone has these issues at first... 

Archived