Expressions by Thai people that raise my blood pressure:

xerostar

On 1/23/2017 at 6:24 PM, JaySonic said:

Can you explain this in English please? I think I recognise a few things.. 

Kowshai = understand?

Moo = pork? 

Gai = fish or maybe chicken? 

Mai = you ? 

Im listening to a couple of CDs lately but its doing my head in. I really admire falangs that have got the language down pat

I also admire farang (pronounced falang) that have got the language down pat but I am not one of them.

Mai = no or not.

The lady was saying she understood phad khapow but not moo (pork). I had mispronounced it as moo not mu. If the pronunciation is not cock on they just do not get it.

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/24/2017 at 9:55 PM, bannork said:

Gentlemen, all your problems with Central.... Anticil and any other English words ending in l being pronounced Centren ...  Anticin with a final n sound in Thai would be resolved once you know that every Thai word with the letter ล  (l), whilst pronounced l at the beginning of a word, it is pronounced n  if at the end of the word

thus (foot)ball is born. It can even disappear oil may become oi

Actually I think most grasped that a while ago, just never seen it stated in print before.

Now please inform us that an R in an English translation is generally pronounced as an L.

21 minutes ago, rott said:

Actually I think most grasped that a while ago, just never seen it stated in print before.

Now please inform us that an R in an English translation is generally pronounced as an L.

I certainly will rott, but not before you inform us when R is not generally pronounced as L .

30 minutes ago, rott said:

As soon as I become aware of one/any, us will be the first to know.

It would be easier if you change your name to lot or lott.

I think R becomes L because the Thai R is usually rolled when pronounced, it's not the simple English R of red. The tongue and mouth have to work a lot harder, and it's a common letter so it's far easier to slip into L , especially if the context makes it clear. 

Archived