Expressions by Thai people that raise my blood pressure:

xerostar

3 minutes ago, mesquite said:

At Starbucks, "Eckuse me, where you come from?"

I made the mistake of asking an attractive lady (if not slightly masculine in attire) this question !

"Where do you come from ?"

She replied in a very sarcastic tone: "Well, from my mother's womb, you moron"

(I missed the BUTCH tattoo on her arm ..)

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, mesquite said:

Yes.

Are you sure?  you start it.... I bet you get banned from posting or a warning. 

You start it and see what happens...... 

Some double standards going on here. OK to poke fun and ridicule Thai people... but just try it with any other nationality. 

Just now, jak2002003 said:

Are you sure?  you start it.... I bet you get banned from posting or a warning. 

You start it and see what happens...... 

Some double standards going on here. OK to poke fun and ridicule Thai people... but just try it with any other nationality. 

You asked a question and I gave you an answer.  Nothing mentioned about what would happen if you did.

1 minute ago, mesquite said:

You asked a question and I gave you an answer.  Nothing mentioned about what would happen if you did.

I see.  I hope you can see the double standards going on here then.  This thread is just raciest and pointless... only serving to make fun of and degrade Thai people by farangs. 

36 minutes ago, impulse said:

I don't care how well you speak the language, or what language you speak.  When you walk into 6 pharmacies in a row and ask for aspirin, and 6 times they tell you we may have some next year, that is some rampant stupidity going on.

The "rampant stupidity" may very well be on your side.  I've never had such a problem. 

4 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

I see.  I hope you can see the double standards going on here then.  This thread is just raciest and pointless... only serving to make fun of and degrade Thai people by farangs. 

You have a point.  Normally these types of threads get closed, at least that's my memory of this kind of stuff.

45 minutes ago, kenk24 said:

Hit the nail on the head... foreigners come here, can't read a newspaper, can't understand television news, can't even ask simple questions in a store or directions on the street - - and then, they call Thai people stupid. Sometimes it boggles the mind. 

My wife is Thai and if she asks directions on the street she gets a very long story after which she still doesn't know where to go. :sick:

3 hours ago, chowny77 said:

One of my students today asked me why I not speak Thai or understand a lot of Thai. With this I was lucky to have a map on the wall where I pointed to Thailand and said in Thai this is the only place that Thai is spoken as a first language. I then pointed to other countries and pointed out that English is either the first or second language spoken. My student soon realised that she had put her foot in her mouth. The arrogance of the student about Thai language was what annoyed me the most.

What countries in the world speak Russian?  Or Japanese?  Or Korean?  Or German and French for that matter?  Should all languages except Chinese and English be abolished?   Perhaps you haven't figured out that speaking Thai is important if you happen to be living in Thailand.  Or do you need to have everything explained to you?

2 hours ago, akirasan said:

Hey you!  Where you go??

No hab!!

gin dai mai?  (Can you eat it?  Well yes <deleted>, that's why I'm eating it) 

On markets i like to fool them a bit...when they sell hamsters or so i go tell them anee alloy maak klab...gin mai?  :shock1::shock1::cheesy:

10 minutes ago, fruitman said:

Almost weekly i have to explain a Thai that farang can't read Thai script....Even when they can speak a little Thai.

They always look very amazed when i tell em. :shock1:

Speak for yourself there buddy.

23 minutes ago, fruitman said:

Almost weekly i have to explain a Thai that farang can't read Thai script....Even when they can speak a little Thai.

They always look very amazed when i tell em. :shock1:

Probably because you're talking rubbish. Plenty of us can read Thai script. It's not that hard to learn - and it makes speaking 'a little Thai' a lot easier. 

2 hours ago, JaiLai said:

Completely disagree with this.

If you speak the language you are privy ( unfortunately ) to overhear what they all chat about in normal conversations and everyday life, it's pathetic, like a nation of children....

Some would say 'ignorance is bliss'.

As a non-thai speaker, I'm curious to what they talk about - what is it they whisper to each other?

7 minutes ago, Jinxed said:

As a non-thai speaker, I'm curious to what they talk about - what is it they whisper to each other?

What they've just eaten, what they're gonna buy to eat and what they're going to eat next. How they're gonna cook it, who's gonna come eat with them, so and so cooks it better, blah blah blah, it's 0.000001 baht cheaper if you go here to buy it, have you tried so and so's lips and beaks dish etc........ you get the idea.

They're all experts at something....NOT

57 minutes ago, fruitman said:

My wife is Thai and if she asks directions on the street she gets a very long story after which she still doesn't know where to go. :sick:

I agree - when it comes to directions it can be tricky... you cannot imply a direction as many people will be prone just to agree for the sake of being agreeable... and oftentimes people will give you directions to the first turn to get you going in the right way as they are not sure of all the turns needed... and so you do have to stop often until close enough that everyone knows. 

4 hours ago, chowny77 said:

One of my students today asked me why I not speak Thai or understand a lot of Thai. With this I was lucky to have a map on the wall where I pointed to Thailand and said in Thai this is the only place that Thai is spoken as a first language. I then pointed to other countries and pointed out that English is either the first or second language spoken. My student soon realised that she had put her foot in her mouth. The arrogance of the student about Thai language was what annoyed me the most.

And when you succeeded in embarrassing her, did you happen to take note of the fact that of all those other countries, this is the one that you and she are currently residing in - - which would make it a pretty valid question. 

Is there any chance that you have a bit of arrogance toward the students and language that might prompt that question? 

I understand that for someone coming here for a short term it is not easy to learn a lot of Thai quickly, but even here upcountry, I have seen most all of the English language teachers, even though they are here for a year only, trying to pick up as much Thai as they could.... and I am sure the students and other teachers respected them for trying... 

9 minutes ago, kenk24 said:

I agree - when it comes to directions it can be tricky... you cannot imply a direction as many people will be prone just to agree for the sake of being agreeable... and oftentimes people will give you directions to the first turn to get you going in the right way as they are not sure of all the turns needed... and so you do have to stop often until close enough that everyone knows. 

That was very true years ago.   I think It's getting a little better.

1 hour ago, Halfaboy said:

After having lost your way and asking a Thai 'do I need to go to the left or the right' the answer will usually be .... 'yes'.

Ask them in Thai.  I usually get pretty OK directions.

8 minutes ago, joeyg said:

That was very true years ago.   I think It's getting a little better.

The first challenge is to look at their faces and discern whether they actually know the answer. There is sometimes a pride factor working as they do not want to admit that they don't know or they want to be helpful even if they don't know. 

I am upcountry and there is no expectation of any English spoken. 

1 minute ago, kenk24 said:

The first challenge is to look at their faces and discern whether they actually know the answer. There is sometimes a pride factor working as they do not want to admit that they don't know or they want to be helpful even if they don't know. 

I am upcountry and there is no expectation of any English spoken. 

Yes Exactly.  You can tell in the first few moments, usually, if they really know.   Issan is very chill.  There are area here and there where I was told not to go because of Yaba activity going on.

Archived