Expressions by Thai people that raise my blood pressure:

xerostar

I see and know of Thais that read novels all the time.  So the Thais that you hang out with don't read novels?  Bargirls?  You really need to get out of the bars...it's frying your brain.   

I am not in them that much. Now I know some do(including 2 of my ex girlfriends not bargirls)I did use the word hardly, but come on its very few, one look in a Thai book shop will show you there isn't a big market for it. Now self help books that's a different matter.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, juice777 said:

I am not in them that much. Now I know some do(including 2 of my ex girlfriends not bargirls)I did use the word hardly, but come on its very few, one look in a Thai book shop will show you there isn't a big market for it. Now self help books that's a different matter.

Reading books isn't the way it used to be 50 years ago.  With laptops, tablets and smartphones, people could be reading novels on trains and buses for all you know.  And yes, I have been to Thai book stores.  Not much different from a modern American one.  Have you been to a book store in your home country recently? 

Reading books isn't the way it used to be 50 years ago.  With laptops, tablets and smartphones, people could be reading novels on trains and buses for all you know.  And yes, I have been to Thai book stores.  Not much different from a modern American one.  Have you been to a book store in your home country recently? 

Even 15 years ago before they was all glued to there phones they still wasn't reading books on the train. The last time I was in my home country was about 2 and a half years ago. I am sure they haven't changed since them but maybe less of them.If you go into the Thai book shop the chain one I can't remember what's its is called (it begins with a s) there is plenty of books but not many novles, it's text books, self help books cook books. There is quite a lot of childrens books I have noticed but not many grown up novles.Is that what a American book shop is like then, sorry I wouldn't know.

Not just me who is saying if read this

https://asiancorrespondent.com/2012/08/why-do-thais-read-so-few-books-each-year/

On 1/17/2017 at 5:07 PM, impulse said:

One of the first lessons I learned is to never ask until I have looked as hard as I can.  Because once I've asked, and they've said "finished", there's face involved and it's too late to look for myself.  And there's been way too many times when they were wrong.

Indeed, I check where possible (and ask in Thai for those silly few in dire need of a humour implant -- not every minuscule mick take should be taken as degrading, chaps :sick:) as there's a chance they don't know so will do the 'mai mii' rather than lose face over not knowing... but will ask nonetheless as I have this macabre lust for being cringed by the infamous MAI MEEEE

On 1/17/2017 at 5:07 PM, impulse said:

One of the first lessons I learned is to never ask until I have looked as hard as I can.  Because once I've asked, and they've said "finished", there's face involved and it's too late to look for myself.  And there's been way too many times when they were wrong.

You're very sensitive. I'll still go and look after they say "no have" and quite often find. I'm not concerned about their face - they should think about that before they jump to conclusions that they don't have it. Most often it's because they don't understand what you need.

22 minutes ago, tropo said:

You're very sensitive. I'll still go and look after they say "no have" and quite often find. I'm not concerned about their face - they should think about that before they jump to conclusions that they don't have it. Most often it's because they don't understand what you need.

Nope.  Not sensitive, sensible.  My post #105 explains it...

10 hours ago, juice777 said:

Not just me who is saying if read this

https://asiancorrespondent.com/2012/08/why-do-thais-read-so-few-books-each-year/

That's a pretty old article.  But whatever.  It's not unique to Thais....

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2016/09/07/the-long-steady-decline-of-literary-reading/

That's a pretty old article.  But whatever.  It's not unique to Thais....

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2016/09/07/the-long-steady-decline-of-literary-reading/

I didn't say it was, someone was talking about Thai script and then something he said made me think maybe that is why you don't see many Thais reading Novels. Which I have noticed over the years I got no opion or care why, just a observation don't know why you are Geting all in a fuss about it, But I suppose I am onTVF.

9 hours ago, tropo said:

Sorry, I missed that you were talking about food. 

Talking about payback in general.  Spitting in your food paints a vivid picture that everyone gets (and most of us have seen in the movies).  

But food's not the only arena where people in a face based culture will get even for losing it.  I've found it easier to concede the face thing and to adjust my expectations.  

I'm not claiming it was something I was smart enough to realize before I had my tantrums- and paid the price.  Thank God it wasn't with a machete wielding taxi driver.

12 minutes ago, impulse said:

Talking about payback in general.  Spitting in your food paints a vivid picture that everyone gets (and most of us have seen in the movies).  

But food's not the only arena where people in a face based culture will get even for losing it.  I've found it easier to concede the face thing and to adjust my expectations.  

I'm not claiming it was something I was smart enough to realize before I had my tantrums- and paid the price.  Thank God it wasn't with a machete wielding taxi driver.

There are times where you have to stand your ground and ignore their "face" problems. You also have to preserve your own dignity and let them know you also have "face", otherwise, you will be treated like dirt. Don't show weakness. They don't respect weakness.

Me: What would you like to do today? (or, "you can choose a restaurant tonight", or whatever)

Her: "Up you you, Jesaaarn"

<deleted>, have some input from time to time ! I'm not the boss man ! I feel it's out of courtesy to me, but I like my companions, friends or otherwise, to have an equal say, and it's infuriating to get the 'Up to You' all the time

Also: "No can go out sun, make skin too black". Ugh, alright, I'll go out alone ! To which she then comes, and makes every conceivable effort to stay in the shade. 

6 hours ago, JaySonic said:

Me: What would you like to do today? (or, "you can choose a restaurant tonight", or whatever)

Her: "Up you you, Jesaaarn"

<deleted>, have some input from time to time ! I'm not the boss man ! I feel it's out of courtesy to me, but I like my companions, friends or otherwise, to have an equal say, and it's infuriating to get the 'Up to You' all the time

Also: "No can go out sun, make skin too black". Ugh, alright, I'll go out alone ! To which she then comes, and makes every conceivable effort to stay in the shade. 

Maybe you should have chosen your partner more carefully?

On 1/17/2017 at 6:49 PM, akirasan said:

Hey you!  Where you go??

No hab!!

gin dai mai?  (Can you eat it?  Well yes <deleted>, that's why I'm eating it) 

Hey you!  Where you go??

That is one I cannot understand, you are walking down the road, not carrying a case or bag, there are at least four taxis sitting together across the road, the guy who is shouting is so stupid, he cannot see that if I wanted a taxi, I would cross the road towards his taxi, not be walking down the street.

1 hour ago, possum1931 said:

Hey you!  Where you go??

That is one I cannot understand, you are walking down the road, not carrying a case or bag, there are at least four taxis sitting together across the road, the guy who is shouting is so stupid, he cannot see that if I wanted a taxi, I would cross the road towards his taxi, not be walking down the street.

Maybe he just suspects you might be stupid?

On 17/01/2017 at 4:58 PM, daveAustin said:

In hardware store looking for very common part: MAI MEEEEE!!

I used to get fed up with mai mee too.

To the point I thought about opening a shop with all the parts you can't seem to get here. Name the shop 'Mai Mee'.

On 1/17/2017 at 8:58 PM, kenk24 said:

Try to learn some more vocabulary and listen to how they put sentences together... tones will be less important if you can speak in sentences and add context. Good luck and keep at it... everyone has these issues at first... 

In a local eating house I ordered Pat Khapow Moo as I had done numerous times before. The lady said to a colleague next to her "Khowshai Pad Khapow, mai khowshai Moo" I had obviously used the wrong tone. As they only make it with moo or gai I don't think it would be too much of a stretch to get my drift. Plenty of context there.

But perhaps they were tired of my apparent mispronunciation and teaching me a lesson. 

Also irritating is having ordered a latte lon I am then asked if I want it hot or cold.

I have also learned the hard way that getting a motorsy to the local Fairyland shopping mall I have to specify "Ferrylirn".

Archived