Ford Ranger oil capacity

DickThrust

Hi,

Just took in my 2013 Ford Ranger 2.2 for its 75k service at a Ford Dealer. I was charged for 8 litres of oil. Does anyone know the oil capacity for this model. Incidentally, I was charged 7600 bt for this service. Does this sound reasonable? Thanks for any views or advice.

Hi Transam, I really appreciate your reply. It has put my mind at rest. 

Yes I was charged for 2 * 4 litres of oil. Some more help if you can. I do feel that I was ripped off. The service charge was 4515 bt (I am happy with that as that is the published price) but there were 2 more items at 995 bt and 2022 bt.

They left empty containers in the car - one appears to be "valve oil ???" and the other is some type of liquid air freshener. There was also a used filter left (maybe air conditioner filter - I am not an expert).

I am going back to the place to see what is going on but if you can give me some of your expert advice, I would appreciate it.

Thanks again.

Hi Transam, thanks again. I have posted an image of the bottles etc that were left. On the bill it says the 995 bt was for "oil" - presumably the flushing oil pictured - is this stuff necessary? The other bottles seem to suggest some type of A/C work - again was this necessary.

I think I am getting to the bottom of this. When I was waiting for the work to be done, a technician brought a job sheet which I had to sign. I speak no Thai and spoke no English and nothing was explained. I saw the items for 995 bt and 2022 bt but assumed they were part of the service – basically I have been stupid enough to be duped into having work done that was unnecessary.

I just hope that other farang Ford owners read this and don’t make the same mistake again. I won’t be using that dealer (Nakhon Ratchasima Ford) again !!!

ford.jpg

Sorry but I can't read the labels but that ain't engine flushing oil, that comes in 5 litre cans......

Looks like A/C stuff from the pics, unless that is an engine air filter, can't tell the size..What I can tell you is Mobil 1 syn oil and filter change at B-Quik would cost you about 5,000bht...I can verify that if you like for future ref........

The flushing oil is put in the engine when the old engine oil is still in there. The car is then ran for 15 minutes or so to take all the old oil and sludge out. Not a necessary step and some manufacturers even don't recommend it.

A can of Liqui Moly Engine Flush will cost you around 500 to 700 baht.

The filter is an Air Filter (AC) from inside the car. If I remember correctly Mitsubishi charges 700 baht for these (Pajero SP)

The other bottles I can't read :)

16 hours ago, transam said:

Sorry but I can't read the labels but that ain't engine flushing oil, that comes in 5 litre cans......

So your saying that black bottle that is labeled "Flushing Oil" is not infact flushing oil ?

When I google "flushing oil additive" there is very few hits for anything in a 5 liter can infact most seem to be small plastic bottles.

Years ago I used to use a wynn's  one and it was a 500ml can from memory.

2 hours ago, Don Mega said:

So your saying that black bottle that is labeled "Flushing Oil" is not infact flushing oil ?

When I google "flushing oil additive" there is very few hits for anything in a 5 liter can infact most seem to be small plastic bottles.

Years ago I used to use a wynn's  one and it was a 500ml can from memory.

Engline flush concentrate comes in 500ml bottles while flushing oil comes in 5 liter bottles.

The difference is that 500 ml bottles are added to the old oil before its drained. 

Flushing oil is put in after the old filter is changed and the old oil is drained. The flushing oil then flushes the engine. After that step the new oil is put in the engine.

Not sure what the advantages and disadvantages are of both.

100% correct NanLaew but I still feel that there is malpractice by Ford for pushing extra non-essential work at a non thai speaking foreigner.

Never mind, I have learnt a lesson and they have lost a customer. I just hope that other non thai speakers read this topic and do not get caught out like me.

8 hours ago, DickThrust said:

100% correct NanLaew but I still feel that there is malpractice by Ford for pushing extra non-essential work at a non thai speaking foreigner.

Never mind, I have learnt a lesson and they have lost a customer. I just hope that other non thai speakers read this topic and do not get caught out like me.

You can raise a complaint with Ford head office and they have a track record of responding. FWIW, my experience at a couple of major Ford and Honda dealerships in different parts of the country, there's a high turnover of staff at all levels, from sales through service and compared to your average 7-eleven, even the degreed staff seem very reluctant to speak in anything except Thai.  In the meantime, their website can advise of other dealerships in your region.

5 hours ago, naboo said:

Ford are incredibly expensive for their services, even without unnecessary extras. I was happy never to have to return once the warranty was up.

Not sure if your experience is relatively recent but per earlier post #10 from JoeW, Ford  has a capped service fee for all models and have an incentivized service plan that is free and once signed up, you are in their nationwide system so any Ford service shop can see that status. Yes, there are still some Ford shops that don't seem to be on the same page but they have made big improvements in the past 5 years or so.

The air filter comes from inside the cab and is for the airconditioner, they replaced ours at 45K it was slightly dirty but not enough for replacement in my opinion

There services are supposed to be done at a set price

A non dealer service centre is nearly always cheaper to use but they might not use genuine replacement parts which could make your warranty invalid if still covered by one 

14 hours ago, madmax2 said:

The air filter comes from inside the cab and is for the airconditioner, they replaced ours at 45K it was slightly dirty but not enough for replacement in my opinion

There services are supposed to be done at a set price

A non dealer service centre is nearly always cheaper to use but they might not use genuine replacement parts which could make your warranty invalid if still covered by one 

Per the attachment in post #10 which is Ford's detailed list of service items and cost, the inside cabin 'odour filter' is replaced at every service,. That is every 15,000 km and costs 300 baht each time.

That matches my experience with both the Rangers I have owned since 2011.

On my last service (45,000 km about 8 months ago, they inspected the brakes and told me that I can expect to require new brake shoes on my next service (60,0000 km) due next month or March. Last week, on a cold morning in Isaan, I heard the first squeak from the front discs as I eased down a narrow ramp at the back of a hotel. Nice to be forewarned.

• 6 months later...

Great thread, lots of good information.

Looking now to store my Ranger for up to six months while away, anyone have suggestions on this? What I have seen is:

Change the oil

Fill the tank and add fuel stabilizer

Clean it inside and out

Fill the tires to max pressure and/or put it on  jacks ( I am looking for second hand jacks now, in case anyone has a set of two or three ton they are offloading) - as I do want to put it on jacks.

Battery, could take it out and put on a trickle - but think I will just disconnect and leave it be, if it comes back w a charge after great - if not get a new one.

Plug the tailpipe with a rag to stop critters - and not worry about periodically starting it.

Store in a covered place out of the elements - I have that available.

Any other suggestions?

Also, can I ask if anyone can suggest a decent place to get an oil change service in the Pattaya area or BKK, say around Udom Suk (Sukhumvit 101/1)?

I have a Ranger 2.2, 60+k km

Cheers

It's not only Ford that pushes unneeded crap. Before I bought the Isuzu, Nissan pulled that same crap. My wife took the Isuzu in for the second service and they charged her more than 900 baht for a liter bottle of crap. Supposed to for carbon removal. Totally not needed.

If you're looking for capacities. Check the handbook. Your engine takes more than 8 litres so you most likely paid for 9. (2x4) +1. If you got Castrol Magnatech Professional, you paid the right price.

The stuff in the black bottle is injector cleaner. Not sure you actually need it every time, but I get it.

Jerry

On 7/30/2017 at 1:47 PM, kuma said:

Any other suggestions?

Make sure your storage area is totally critter proof. There's plenty stories of rats getting into everything, chewing through wires and even having litters in the air conditioning ductwork... and then dying. Never could quite get rid of the smell. A good guide is if it's anywhere near a source of food waste like a restaurant, then there will be rats. Rats generally don't like cats either.

On 8/1/2017 at 7:19 PM, NanLaew said:

Make sure your storage area is totally critter proof. There's plenty stories of rats getting into everything, chewing through wires and even having litters in the air conditioning ductwork... and then dying. Never could quite get rid of the smell. A good guide is if it's anywhere near a source of food waste like a restaurant, then there will be rats. Rats generally don't like cats either.

Cheers thanks for that

I am told mothballs are useful so will put around perimeter of truck, in engine compartment and in cab. Hopefully it keeps everything away.

• 1 year later...
On 1/21/2017 at 6:17 AM, NanLaew said:

Per the attachment in post #10 which is Ford's detailed list of service items and cost, the inside cabin 'odour filter' is replaced at every service,. That is every 15,000 km and costs 300 baht each time.

That matches my experience with both the Rangers I have owned since 2011.

On my last service (45,000 km about 8 months ago, they inspected the brakes and told me that I can expect to require new brake shoes on my next service (60,0000 km) due next month or March. Last week, on a cold morning in Isaan, I heard the first squeak from the front discs as I eased down a narrow ramp at the back of a hotel. Nice to be forewarned.

An update on oil changes, apologies I hijacked the thread earlier to ask about storage.

Just did 75k oil change. Ranger 2.2L AT.

Went with an independent family garage. Used Castrol Edge 5w30, new oil filter, blew out engine and cabin air filters, and did an overall airspray/cleanup of engine compartment (quite clean actually, dust levels low in Chan at this time of year).

All in with a bottle of diesel treatment as sell, 3720THB. 

Last month had a hose blow so part of that repair was a diagnostic check so this was a great deal as I know all else is fine. Transmission oil not changed, not required.

Good service and good deals to be found it you look deep enough.

The father very concerned about the velocity of air the fan was blowing. Said it will overheat. I have driven 30+ provinces in all conditions, incl Kanchanaburi at 42+ degrees w no overheating issue. Anyone else had overheating issues?

IMAG0110~2.jpg

2 minutes ago, kuma said:

An update on oil changes, apologies I hijacked the thread earlier to ask about storage.

Just did 75k oil change. Ranger 2.2L AT.

Went with an independent family garage. Used Castrol Edge 5w30, new oil filter, blew out engine and cabin air filters, and did an overall airspray/cleanup of engine compartment (quite clean actually, dust levels low in Chan at this time of year).

All in with a bottle of diesel treatment as sell, 3720THB. 

Last month had a hose blow so part of that repair was a diagnostic check so this was a great deal as I know all else is fine. Transmission oil not changed, not required.

Good service and good deals to be found it you look deep enough.

The father very concerned about the velocity of air the fan was blowing. Said it will overheat. I have driven 30+ provinces in all conditions, incl Kanchanaburi at 42+ degrees w no overheating issue. Anyone else had overheating issues?

IMAG0110~2.jpg

No..

12 minutes ago, transam said:

No..

hey assume the no refers to overheating, which has been my experience.

Hose rubbed raw diet to design and friction rubbing on other components during driving, New hose designed differently, clear of all other components

Cheers

Archived