Thailand Post EMS: faster service noted.

NanLaew

Towards the end of last year, several threads were lamenting the delays with Thailand Post, particularly EMS and tracking. Just an update for January 2017.

Domestic: Letter via EMS from Pattaya to Bangkok (37 baht) posted 5 PM Monday, received 1 PM Wednesday. Return EMS (37 baht) was posted in Bangkok some time on Friday and received next morning in Pattaya. Both letters to residential addresses.

International: Small package (5 quid declared value) dropped off in UK Post Office at 2 PM on Friday (17 quid), departed UK next day, appeared in Thai EMS tracking the following Monday and in my PO Box at 11 AM Wednesday. Delivery to PO Box.

The Thailand Post tracking app (available on apple and android) is really good too.

I had a small parcel sent to me from Bangkok to Pattaya In December. I received it slightly more than 24 hours from when it was sent. While that's the quickest I've received something, I've always found the EMS service within Thailand to be great.

EMS service to the US is good but delays occur after the item reaches the US, especially if the addressee is not in a major urban area. 

18 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Towards the end of last year, several threads were lamenting the delays with Thailand Post,

There's always someone lamenting something about Thailand on TV.  Moaning is a pastime for some.

29 minutes ago, Suradit69 said:

I had a small parcel sent to me from Bangkok to Pattaya In December. I received it slightly more than 24 hours from when it was sent. While that's the quickest I've received something, I've always found the EMS service within Thailand to be great.

EMS service to the US is good but delays occur after the item reaches the US, especially if the addressee is not in a major urban area. 

There's always someone lamenting something about Thailand on TV.  Moaning is a pastime for some.

Yes, I was being a bit polite when I said lamenting. However, there was some pretty consistent and valid complaints about inbound tracked mail from overseas falling into a 'black hole' before showing up at Laksi in Thailand Post online tracking or languishing at Laksi before being forwarded on. Other frequent complaints were no notification cards being left for a missed delivery and many people only knowing it was available for collection after seeing a delivery exception posted on the online tracking. I think the weakest link still remains the postie on a motorbike between the post office and the letter box so I will use my PO Box for anything that is time-sensitive or important.

29 minutes ago, yardrunner said:

Perhaps now they can sort out the ordinary delivery service

I guess you pays your money and takes your choices on that one. For the most part, EMS is quite efficient and I don't find the extra charges to steep. I admit that the whole system seems to fall apart in the more remote parts of Bahn Nork but there's still plenty room for confusion when some respondents don't know their own post code or use some mangled English when addressing stuff. The best bet for rural deliveries would be to get the address written in Thai but that may present challenges to the ones living a more hermit-like existence.

Just hoping that there's an improvement wherever members are using Thailand Post. 

Edited by NanLaew

9 minutes ago, Sooo Upto Me said:

U get wot u pay for.

if i am posting anything in Thailand or abroad i use the Thai track and trace system which i find is very efficient.

my problem is with international deliveries by 1st class airmail where i recieve nothing for two or three weeks and then over a dozen letters with postage dates spread over the previous month all delivered on the same day

I recently sent a small parcel EMS from Fang to Chiang Mai it was posted Saturday am and the recipients called the following day Sunday to say it had been delivered

Compare that with two registered parcels sent to Australia tracked leaving Suvarnabhumi never arrived Australia Post couldn't locate

Two letters taken by hand to Australia one took 8 days to cross Sydney another posted registered mail in Victoria took 7 days to reach Sydney

So please don't criticise  Thai Post

Postal service is getting like any other big business its one price fits all anywhere in the world. The average wage here has no bearing on the price they charge they just keep up with the Jones abroad. 2 weeks for a letter to go abroad is a bit much in this day and age. 

EMS seems to be the one thing in LOS that works as described. Last week I dropped off a big box at the P.O. in Issan. I was surprised the charge was only 80 Bt. Tracking confirmed it was delivered in Samut Prakan the next morning about 8:30. Amazing.

The only problem I have ever had was due to the local post man. I waited all day for an EMS package that had my new passport. Tracking said out for delivery 8:30 AM. I was home all day. The package never came, so I checked tracking again about 6:30 PM. Said it was delivered at 4:30 PM. Now I'm a bit frantic as I'm trying to think where he delivered my passport. I get a call the next morning at 7:00 from my neighbor saying that the passport is on the way. Postman has just left his house. He gets here 5 minutes later & when queried about why he reported it as delivered the day before, he says "Motorcy have accident." No damage to his bike...he lied.

I find out about 3 weeks later he was fired for drinking and not delivering the mail. Good for his boss. The people at the P.O. are the friendliest folks I encounter in my normal day to day activities.

3 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Other frequent complaints were no notification cards being left for a missed delivery

One benefit of living in a condo. Mail deliveries, including parcels, are left in lobby office, so I get a phone call or note in my mailbox as soon as something arrives and nothing goes back to the P.O. whether or not I happen to be at home at the time of delivery.

Edited by Suradit69

3 hours ago, Suradit69 said:

Ok in the spirit of not moaning how about the flag;

posted EMS at BKK airport 08 Jan 

delivered Singapore 16 Jan 

11 minutes ago, The Dark Lord said:

Ok in the spirit of not moaning how about the flag;

posted EMS at BKK airport 08 Jan 

delivered Singapore 16 Jan 

Do you have details from Thailand Post tracking when it left Bangkok and how soon it entered the Singapore system? That could give some idea on who was dragging their feet.

I use www.17track.net to check on international packages as it saves searching on 2 separate websites (once it has been logged into the receiving country's system). Sometimes it times out but ping/refresh it a few times and the entire shipping timeline is displayed.

3 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Do you have details from Thailand Post tracking when it left Bangkok and how soon it entered the Singapore system? That could give some idea on who was dragging their feet.

I use www.17track.net to check on international packages as it saves searching on 2 separate websites (once it has been logged into the receiving country's system). Sometimes it times out but ping/refresh it a few times and the entire shipping timeline is displayed.

Yes it resided in Bkk airport fro the complete delay. Arrived and delivered same day in Sin.

9 hours ago, BsBs said:

Nothing new here.

All EMS between BKK and Pattaya are delivered the next day.

For UK, you just have been lucky.

Never done a local Pattaya-Bangkok-Pattaya EMS before so all new to me. As I said in subsequent posts, your (local) experience may vary.

Possibly for the UK and it's the reason why I will have a monthly Royal Mail International Tracked and Signed delivery just to see how it holds up. Right now it looks good.

8 hours ago, The Dark Lord said:

Yes it resided in Bkk airport fro the complete delay. Arrived and delivered same day in Sin.

Despite being at the Suvarnabhumi (BKK) airport, mail consigned there does go off airport to be reconsigned for international distribution at Laksi which is just south of Don Meuang (DMK), the same place where mail coming into Thailand gets cleared. I posted stuff at Suvarnabhumi a few years ago and recall it took longer than usual to get to the destination but I agree that 8 days to SIN is a bit long.

8 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Never done a local Pattaya-Bangkok-Pattaya EMS before so all new to me. As I said in subsequent posts, your (local) experience may vary.

Possibly for the UK and it's the reason why I will have a monthly Royal Mail International Tracked and Signed delivery just to see how it holds up. Right now it looks good.

Despite being at the Suvarnabhumi (BKK) airport, mail consigned there does go off airport to be reconsigned for international distribution at Laksi which is just south of Don Meuang (DMK), the same place where mail coming into Thailand gets cleared. I posted stuff at Suvarnabhumi a few years ago and recall it took longer than usual to get to the destination but I agree that 8 days to SIN is a bit long.

I drove from Khorat specifically to post this urgent document. Now I am facing some potentially serious problems via a vis visa extention as a result

oh happy days!