If you were in charge of immigration...

SoiBiker

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, eldragon said:

With regards to tourists, I think Thailand is fine the way it is. But if they want "better" ones, then I'd suggest starting with the infrastructure and road safety.

Yes but then all the whinging sexpats would be complaining even more than they already do about the Singaporization of Bangkok and the demise of the 500 baht long time.

"Oh, the tiny beer bar where little Lek used to dish out a wipe down with a cold towel and a sneaky tug under the counter for 200 baht has turned into a poncy deli".

I would only let in people who could supply a form confirming no jail time in their home country.

I would not let in anyone from Islamic countries. I would do more to help the underfifties who do not want to get married.

9 minutes ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

Make it easier for younger people to stay here long term.

Those who are not married to Thai, no Thai children, under 50 and don't work for Thai company.

Make some kind of 'digital nomad' visa where proof of funds and insurance was a requirement.

It's called Thailand Elite

12 minutes ago, YeahSiam said:

And that visa lets you work does it?

The sole working criteria was "digital nomad". My view is that if you keep your door shut and your mouth shut (ie. no boasting) you can do as you please. Keeping the law is only ever one of the options, and subject as always to a risk assessment about the likelihood of getting caught, something too many people don't consider

1 hour ago, yellowboat said:

The Thai perspective on immigration is complete nonsense compared just about every other country in Asia.  Other countries do not complain about foreigners the way Thailand does.  They just seem to be able to carry on. 

in which way does "Thailand" complain about foreigners?  :huh:

why not start with the ones that are already here,the disabled and the over 70's.who are being treated no different than thai criminals.

in fact do they have to report where they are every 90days,and with who and where they are if away for a few days.

1 hour ago, meatboy said:

why not start with the ones that are already here,the disabled and the over 70's.who are being treated no different than thai criminals.

in fact do they have to report where they are every 90days,and with who and where they are if away for a few days.

I think we can all agree that Thailand is something of a magnet for the scum of the West.

It seems the country is the go-to destination when murderers, fraudsters, paedophiles and other lowlife want to disappear or distance themselves from law enforcement in their own countries.

Most other Southeast Asian countries don't have this problem to the same degree as Thailand.

Consequently, the Thai authorities obviously feel that they need to know where long-stay foreign nationals are.

If people over 70 are too frail or whatever to do those 90 day reports, they can do them online instead of making the pilgrimage to the local immigration office.

Every foreigner living long-term in Thailand knew the rules governing ongoing stay in the Kingdom when they were granted their visa or extension of stay.

People can't turn around and expect the government to change the rules just because satisfying that criteria becomes an inconvenience.

Hate to say it but, if you dislike it that much, move to a country that has immigration rules that don't force you out of your recliner for an afternoon.

7 minutes ago, YeahSiam said:

I think we can all agree that Thailand is something of a magnet for the scum of the West.

It seems the country is the go-to destination when murderers, fraudsters, paedophiles and other lowlife want to disappear or distance themselves from law enforcement in their own countries.

Most other Southeast Asian countries don't have this problem to the same degree as Thailand.

Consequently, the Thai authorities obviously feel that they need to know where long-stay foreign nationals are.

If people over 70 are too frail or whatever to do those 90 day reports, they can do them online instead of making the pilgrimage to the local immigration office.

Every foreigner living long-term in Thailand knew the rules governing ongoing stay in the Kingdom when they were granted their visa or extension of stay.

People can't turn around and expect the government to change the rules just because satisfying that criteria becomes an inconvenience.

Hate to say it but, if you dislike it that much, move to a country that has immigration rules that don't force you out of your recliner for an afternoon.

first of all i cant do my 90days report online.and there are plenty that CANT.

as you state thailand is a place for a lot of criminals from the west.if thailand did their job properly that would cut these so called scum out. each retiree should have a police criminal check,mine is in my draw still unopened after 9yrs.

20 hours ago, SaintLouisBlues said:
20 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

Those who are not married to Thai, no Thai children, under 50 and don't work for Thai company.

Make some kind of 'digital nomad' visa where proof of funds and insurance was a requirement.

It's called Thailand Elite

Thailand Elite does not allow you to work.    

What Jonathan Fairfield means is a setup for people who want to live here long time and work for themselves online (or work online for companies based outside of Thailand).

Edited:  I know that many people do work under the radar on various visa types.  But it would be nice if those people could openly admit to working and discuss their work on forums without facing hundreds of comments about being illegal.   Basically it's time there was a legal option for what is now a very large group of people.

20 hours ago, SaintLouisBlues said:

The sole working criteria was "digital nomad". My view is that if you keep your door shut and your mouth shut (ie. no boasting) you can do as you please. Keeping the law is only ever one of the options, and subject as always to a risk assessment about the likelihood of getting caught, something too many people don't consider

By its very definition, a "digital nomad" is someone who works online.

It's not someone under 50 who simply comes to Thailand with a laptop.

Model all Immigration offices after Jomtien excellent!

All retirees would have to meet requirements for O-A,

no exceptions

Only qualified Ed Degreed teachers allowed to apply for

Ed. Visa

ALL overstays more than 30 days, except for being hospitalized

with a statement from Hospital. Deported, banned entry for

3'years.

ANY criminals, drug dealers, thieves, assaults, Drunk and Disorderly 

immediately  deported.  NO REENTRY. 

Charge B100 for each 90day report, in person or online or mail

annual B 1900 rIsed to B 2500. (Proceeds used to increase salary

of Immigration Staff.

We would have a much nicer Thailand!!!!

I understand the 90 day reporting on line is no longer available - however making this report by mail is not a great inconvenience - just pop in to the Post Office to register the envelope enclosing the form and copies as required, the same as going in person. This is ONLY  4 times a year and less frequently if having left the country during that time.

I agree with the sentiments of  YeahSiam that the reporting is not too onerous a requirement . 

John

2 minutes ago, little mary sunshine said:

Model all Immigration offices after Jomtien excellent!

All retirees would have to meet requirements for O-A,

no exceptions

Only qualified Ed Degreed teachers allowed to apply for

Ed. Visa

ALL overstays more than 30 days, except for being hospitalized

with a statement from Hospital. Deported, banned entry for

3'years.

ANY criminals, drug dealers, thieves, assaults, Drunk and Disorderly 

immediately  deported.  NO REENTRY. 

Charge B100 for each 90day report, in person or online or mail

annual B 1900 rIsed to B 2500. (Proceeds used to increase salary

of Immigration Staff.

We would have a much nicer Thailand!!!!

Some good ideas.  I've adjusted some of them.

Only people on full time educational courses should be allowed on Ed visas.   Doing a few hours a week learning Thai should not qualify.

Overstays of more than a week, unless accompanied by a valid reason (medical or similar) should result in a 12 month ban, 2 weeks overstay - 2 year ban, etc

Increase the costs of visas, add a charge for 90 day reports.  Build a system that works with Thai banks online banking systems, so you can log into your online banking and report/pay at the same time.  If I can pay my electric bill online then how hard would it be for the Government to work with the banks to make reporting and paying happen.

Do away with Visa extensions.  Have tourist visas that are are valid for 2 weeks, 30 days, 60 days and 90 days.  Let tourists choose which one they want to purchase based on their travel plans.     After 90 days have an option to purchase another visa without leaving the country, but charge 30% more for subsequent visas, unless the person leaves the country and applies in their home country.

Allow people working online for people and/or companies outside Thailand to do so legally.   Have an online worker business visa, valid for one year.   Make people show they have insurance and charge them tax based on what cash they bring into the country through the banking system.   Make annual renewal possible without leaving the country.

Make it easier for foreigners to be entrepreneurs and start businesses.  Do away completely with the need for Thai shareholders, and the 51% Thai ownership.   Make it a requirement that all foreign owned companies must hire 1 Thai person for every 2 or 3 foreigners.    Make it easier for foreigners to come and work for foreign owned companies without the 4 Thais for 1 foreigner nonsense.

13 minutes ago, Khon Kaen Dave said:

YeahSiam

And how,exactly demagnetize it,so that the 'scum of the West' no longer feel the attraction?

That's a wider problem and beyond the scope of this topic.

My post addressed complaints about the 90 day reporting

The "overstay problem".....is no problem. It is trumped up imperial hubris crap by tin-pot despots who are desperate to appear to be doing something constructive. Those who overstay are merely spending more money in Thailand. They are doing NO harm. They BENEFIT the economy.

20 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

Your first two sentences are spot on, but I would have reservations about your last sentence, if people are stupid enough to come here with not enough money to finance themselves, then they would be forced to return home, if not, and they start begging in the streets, put them in the place where overstayers are kept until someone pays their air fare home. 

As for insurance, I take it you mean health insurance. Health insurance companies are among the biggest capitalist rogues there are. I don't think I need to explain why. What might work is for the Thai government to have a health insurance scheme for long stayers.

I would make every immigration office a separate entity, and authorise them to interpret the immigration law, any way they chose to. I would encourage inconsistencies between offices, even within the same office. I would have 3-4 databases, not linked. I would try to have many "open other end" procedures in place. 

1 minute ago, Peterw42 said:

I would make every immigration office a separate entity, and authorise them to interpret the immigration law, any way they chose to. I would encourage inconsistencies between offices, even within the same office. I would have 3-4 databases, not linked. I would try to have many "open other end" procedures in place. 

This post should win an award. :stoner:

Archived