If you were in charge of immigration...

SoiBiker

20 minutes ago, YeahSiam said:

:cheesy:

For every retiree buying a condo/building a McMansion in the wilds of Isaan and buying the obligatory Fortuner, there are 50 of his peers hanging on by their fingernails and chowing down on 30 baht meals at Tesco Lotus food halls and .

We're forever being told how these retirees are some sort of cornerstone of the economy but you only have to see them buying cheap guff at Big C and hear/read about them carping about the price of an English/American/Continental breakfast going up by 10 baht or the cost of a short time or a pint of draught to realise they're nothing of the kind.

If retirees actually were some sort of high-spending demographic, the Thai authorities would have cottoned on years ago.

Instead, they prefer to court short-stay tourists because they actually do spend money in Thailand while costing the country nothing; unlike the costs of administering the affairs of those who make nowhere near as much of an economic contribution as their collective egos would have everyone believe.

Frankly, the authorities would be better off catering to real expats who earn money and pay taxes here, rather than economic migrants most of whom stay here because, otherwise, they'd be on the bones of their asses back home.

Perhaps the the working class is helping the economy;

however, I play golf two To three times a week, and

there are a lot of retirees spend big bucks too!!

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, little mary sunshine said:

Perhaps the the working class is helping the economy;

however, I play golf two To three times a week, and

there are a lot of retirees spend big bucks too!!

Fine but the point I made is that retirees ain't no engine of economic growth in Thailand.

Most get their fixed incomes denominated in currencies that are in the toilet and fast heading down the drain.

You only have to count the number of threads yakking on about the GBP/THB exchange rate.

In 2014, it was the euro, soon it'll be the US dollar.

1 hour ago, YeahSiam said:

For every retiree buying a condo/building a McMansion in the wilds of Isaan and buying the obligatory Fortuner, there are 50 of his peers hanging on by their fingernails and chowing down on 30 baht meals at Tesco Lotus food halls and .

We're forever being told how these retirees are some sort of cornerstone of the economy but you only have to see them buying cheap guff at Big C and hear/read about them carping about the price of an English/American/Continental breakfast going up by 10 baht or the cost of a short time or a pint of draught to realise they're nothing of the kind.

If retirees actually were some sort of high-spending demographic, the Thai authorities would have cottoned on years ago.

Instead, they prefer to court short-stay tourists because they actually do spend money in Thailand while costing the country nothing; unlike the costs of administering the affairs of those who make nowhere near as much of an economic contribution as their collective egos would have everyone believe.

Frankly, the authorities would be better off catering to real expats who earn money and pay taxes here, rather than economic migrants most of whom stay here because, otherwise, they'd be on the bones of their asses back home.

Of course short term tourists will spend more l. It's a holiday away from home a time to kick back and relax. Saved up all year more than likely to rightly enjoy themselfs. Where as long term expats this is home and as such first few months spend spend then settle down a bit if single maybe out weekends or for an hour or so each night. If married again maybe a meal and a night out once a week. Then you settle down at home as you would anywhere in the world.Real Expats Yeh ok oh we make money we work but only spend as much as retired expats if truth be told. I don't need to work any more done my 50 odd years to make my money. I've paid in to a system in one country or another always. So to try to make out working expats are somehow better is total rubish. I hade a great life before settling here. Now I have an even better one.

Oh I nearly forgot where do you get your figures from re 50 scraping by?

Do you hang around Big C or restaurants to listen to the gossip?

For your info the food malls in tesco/Big C are great meals so why not. Or do you expect every farang to have a steak or salmon every day.

44 minutes ago, Deepinthailand said:

Of course short term tourists will spend more l. It's a holiday away from home a time to kick back and relax. Saved up all year more than likely to rightly enjoy themselfs. Where as long term expats this is home and as such first few months spend spend then settle down a bit if single maybe out weekends or for an hour or so each night. If married again maybe a meal and a night out once a week. Then you settle down at home as you would anywhere in the world.Real Expats Yeh ok oh we make money we work but only spend as much as retired expats if truth be told. I don't need to work any more done my 50 odd years to make my money. I've paid in to a system in one country or another always. So to try to make out working expats are somehow better is total rubish. I hade a great life before settling here. Now I have an even better one.

Oh I nearly forgot where do you get your figures from re 50 scraping by?

Do you hang around Big C or restaurants to listen to the gossip?

For your info the food malls in tesco/Big C are great meals so why not. Or do you expect every farang to have a steak or salmon every day.

I never said working expats were "better" than retirees but you overlook one crucial point and that is the fact that working expats also pay tax.

They're not just contributing to the economy by spending but also by putting money in the government's coffers.

It stands to reason then that the authorities would be better off catering to them than to people who are typically more thrifty than those who work and bring in more money.

As far as Big C/Tesco food hall meals are concerned, they use cheap ingredients packed with preservatives.

The fact that they can sell them at similar prices to food carts should tell you something.

They routinely re-use old oil and meat that's within a day or so of being past its use by date.

https://paleorobbie.com/post?id=14

On a weekly basis we have street food vendors approaching us asking if they can take our leftover oil to reuse for cooking their street food.

Most cooking oils thrown out by McDonalds and KFC is snatched up by street vendors too.

Your khao gai tod and fried sea bass on the street is typically being cooked in highly oxidized murky oils that have most likely been reused 10-50 times previously.

Eating fried food in Thailand is a major health risk if you do it on a regular basis, with many expats mentioning side effects they get from eating too much. There's no surprise that cancer also happens to be the number one cause of death in Thailand either.

First thing i would do, is define a set policy that all immigration offices must follow, and then start handing out well defined rules and pamphlets for foreigners to follow. No more of these different policies based on location, or any of these changing rules, without everyone being on the same page.

I never said working expats were "better" than retirees but you overlook one crucial point and that is the fact that working expats also pay tax.

They're not just contributing to the economy by spending but also by putting money in the government's coffers.

It stands to reason then that the authorities would be better off catering to them than to people who are typically more thrifty than those who work and bring in more money.

As far as Big C/Tesco food hall meals are concerned, they use cheap ingredients packed with preservatives.

The fact that they can sell them at similar prices to food carts should tell you something.

They routinely re-use old oil and meat that's within a day or so of being past its use by date.

https://paleorobbie.com/post?id=14

I'm sorry I know plenty of foreign workers living here in Thailand and working yes the pay tax maybe if they work in thailand that is. They spend no more money than I do. As for the link I don't open unknown links but I presume it's that bangkok company who are Paleo Food Delivery & Wholesale in Bangkok. No conflict of intrest there then give everyone else a bad review and then say hey we sell food!!!

45 minutes ago, Deepinthailand said:

I'm sorry I know plenty of foreign workers living here in Thailand and working yes the pay tax maybe if they work in thailand that is. They spend no more money than I do. As for the link I don't open unknown links but I presume it's that bangkok company who are Paleo Food Delivery & Wholesale in Bangkok. No conflict of intrest there then give everyone else a bad review and then say hey we sell food!!!

Isn't it funny how people always seem to come up with these imaginary people they know just when they need some bullshit to back up a losing argument.

Every economist on the planet will confirm that those in active employment typically spend more than those retired on fixed incomes.

Oh but they forgot about Deepinthailand's social circle, didn't they?

Re: Paelo Robbie...........Conflict of interest? Yeah that might be the case if they were competing at the same price level as the 30 baht food seller but obviously, they're not.

Get it into your head, ultra cheap food, ultra shit quality.

...who would you let in? And who would you keep out? What sort of people do you think Thailand needs more of? Who can it do without?

Stop visa exemptions on arrival and criminal record check all visa applications.

Immediate deportation of anyone breaking serious laws in Thailand...particularly around violence and theft.

Visas beyond 3 months only given to people who can speak basic Thai, visas beyond 1 year only given to people who can speak intermediate Thai and can pass a pop quiz exam on Thai culture.

Would weed out about 90% of the scum...

6 minutes ago, onthesoi said:

...who would you let in? And who would you keep out? What sort of people do you think Thailand needs more of? Who can it do without?

Stop visa exemptions on arrival and criminal record check all visa applications.

Immediate deportation of anyone breaking serious laws in Thailand...particularly around violence and theft.

Visas beyond 3 months only given to people who can speak basic Thai, visas beyond 1 year only given to people who can speak intermediate Thai and can pass a pop quiz exam on Thai culture.

Would weed out about 90% of the scum...

So my wife and child will have to go without daddy, because I should speak Thai?! Sorry to burst your bubble, but I have no intention of staying here permanently, but because of commitments, my wife has to wait to come back to the states, so i am here for a few years. I can see for those looking to permanently become Thai, and good luck with that, but I have no intention of giving up citizenship, so I am nothing but a visitor.

3 minutes ago, ocddave said:

So my wife and child will have to go without daddy, because I should speak Thai?! Sorry to burst your bubble, but I have no intention of staying here permanently, but because of commitments, my wife has to wait to come back to the states, so i am here for a few years. I can see for those looking to permanently become Thai, and good luck with that, but I have no intention of giving up citizenship, so I am nothing but a visitor.

I'm in charge sonny so suck it up....

Your wife and child will go without a daddy because daddy is too lazy to learn Thai.....the first language of his wife and child, even though daddy has been living in Thailand for years.

1 minute ago, onthesoi said:

Your wife and child will go without a daddy because daddy is too lazy to learn Thai.....the first language of his wife and child.

More like too busy, but whatever floats your boat.

1 minute ago, onthesoi said:

Then you can be busy in another country ...visa rejected!

Next!!!

I assume your just being funny, but whatever. But if you're like the idiot I saw today at the US Embassy, now there is a clown that should never have been let in the country, and he says he has been here for 15 years. First thing he did is berate the Thai guards, complain to everyone about the speed of service, then demanding he be treated differently because he was an obnoxious US citizen. How this guy even makes it thru a week here, is beyond me, the way he talks to people (especially Thai's) should start an international incident. For the most part, my lack of the THai language hasn't been much of an issue, so far. I got some basics down, but mastering the language, not going to happen.

4 minutes ago, ocddave said:

I assume your just being funny, but whatever. But if you're like the idiot I saw today at the US Embassy, now there is a clown that should never have been let in the country, and he says he has been here for 15 years. First thing he did is berate the Thai guards, complain to everyone about the speed of service, then demanding he be treated differently because he was an obnoxious US citizen. How this guy even makes it thru a week here, is beyond me, the way he talks to people (especially Thai's) should start an international incident. For the most part, my lack of the THai language hasn't been much of an issue, so far. I got some basics down, but mastering the language, not going to happen.

13 minutes ago, onthesoi said:

Then you can be busy in another country ...visa rejected!

Next!!!

Wow, your love and devotion to this country is amazing, though not shared or understood.  Being able to speak and Asian language is a nice tool, but it is not the end all be all and this statement is from somebody who does speak such a language.  It helps.  It gets you employed.  It gets you business. It is fun, but most of those whom are successful and senior in the region can barely muster a "good morning".   The Thai immigration system is odd when compared to its neighbors. 

Many Thais work outside of Thailand.  Many cannot speak even basic English.  Language ability tied to some permanent or long term visa would be fair, but to get an extension ?  Oh, please.  Learning Thai over Korean, Chinese, Japanese or Bahasa is a decision made with your heart and not with your head.    

7 hours ago, elgordo38 said:

They have to much pension money. Envy I would say. It all boils down to which part of the world the spigot was that you dropped out of.

I don't have too much pension money.

It is money I earned through 50 years of working, something that not too many Thais have managed to do.

5 hours ago, YeahSiam said:

quote "Frankly, the authorities would be better off catering to real expats who earn money and pay taxes here, rather than economic migrants most of whom stay here because, otherwise, they'd be on the bones of their asses back home."

Would you like to explain YOUR definition of a real expat to us all?

44 minutes ago, onthesoi said:

Your wife and child will go without a daddy because daddy is too lazy to learn Thai.....the first language of his wife and child, even though daddy has been living in Thailand for years.

Thai is a tonal language so if you are a bit deaf and tone deaf and cannot learn Thai, then what do you think should happen to the guy?

10 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Thai is a tonal language so if you are a bit deaf and tone deaf and cannot learn Thai, then what do you think should happen to the guy?

I lost hope when I couldn't figure out the 5 different versions of "Ma", which was one of the first lessons in the book.....sigh....I think I am tone deaf.....LOL

Isn't it funny how people always seem to come up with these imaginary people they know just when they need some bullshit to back up a losing argument.

Every economist on the planet will confirm that those in active employment typically spend more than those retired on fixed incomes.

Oh but they forgot about Deepinthailand's social circle, didn't they?

Re: Paelo Robbie...........Conflict of interest? Yeah that might be the case if they were competing at the same price level as the 30 baht food seller but obviously, they're not.

Get it into your head, ultra cheap food, ultra shit quality.

Isn't it funny when people can't answer the truth other posters post they feel threatened and start to try and attack the person who they have no answers to. I should have known really as thats your normal MO in all threads when your point of view is challenged seems you for some reason better known to yourself, go on the verbal attack mode. Have to say it doesn't affect me one little bit. Do you really belive what you say as I can't for one minute belive you do. Still you carry on seems like your only enjoyment in life. Have a nice night now.

1 hour ago, Deepinthailand said:

Isn't it funny when people can't answer the truth other posters post they feel threatened and start to try and attack the person who they have no answers to. I should have known really as thats your normal MO in all threads when your point of view is challenged seems you for some reason better known to yourself, go on the verbal attack mode. Have to say it doesn't affect me one little bit. Do you really belive what you say as I can't for one minute belive you do. Still you carry on seems like your only enjoyment in life. Have a nice night now.

I've addressed all your feeble arguments clearly.

People who are working generally spend more than those who are retired on fixed incomes - that's a fact.

If the statement of that fact constitutes an "attack" in your book then I think  you'd better crawl back under the duvet because it's not safe out here in the real world.

Don't worry, though......I'll leave the light on

4 hours ago, billd766 said:

I don't have too much pension money.

It is money I earned through 50 years of working, something that not too many Thais have managed to do.

quote "Frankly, the authorities would be better off catering to real expats who earn money and pay taxes here, rather than economic migrants most of whom stay here because, otherwise, they'd be on the bones of their asses back home."

Would you like to explain YOUR definition of a real expat to us all?

From what I can understand you have to pull your pants down and check your bony posterior. If your posterior hurts when you sit in a chair your definitely an economic migrant. May he overlooked the fact that one has to have 800,000 bahts seasoned here in the bank to stay. We were not able to program the stork that dropped us off in the west lucky for us. It was the luck of the draw. 

6 hours ago, YeahSiam said:

People who are working generally spend more than those who are retired on fixed incomes - that's a fact.

If the statement of that fact constitutes an "attack" in your book then I think  you'd better crawl back under the duvet because it's not safe out here in the real world.

what couckoo land planet do you inhabit,thai household debt is at record levels,THE FACT IS you dont live in the real world.

7 hours ago, YeahSiam said:

??  key board warrior of to room 101 with you. Space and waste spring to mind.

23 hours ago, Lannathaijohn said:

I understand the 90 day reporting on line is no longer available - however making this report by mail is not a great inconvenience - just pop in to the Post Office to register the envelope enclosing the form and copies as required, the same as going in person. This is ONLY  4 times a year and less frequently if having left the country during that time.

I agree with the sentiments of  YeahSiam that the reporting is not too onerous a requirement . 

John

Actually, it is only 3 times a year in most cases.

90 day reporting is an unnecessary pain in the ar5e.

For anyone who has had, say, 3 consecutive extensions the 90 day reporting should be waived. The system is there for change of address reporting by the alien and the housemaster.

25 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

Actually, it is only 3 times a year in most cases.

90 day reporting is an unnecessary pain in the ar5e.

For anyone who has had, say, 3 consecutive extensions the 90 day reporting should be waived. The system is there for change of address reporting by the alien and the housemaster.

yes JP,same address the day i arrived,i have filled in the same TM 47 form stateing this more than 36times.

and another thing,LJOHN our immigration DONT allow 90day reports by POST.

9 hours ago, elgordo38 said:

From what I can understand you have to pull your pants down and check your bony posterior. If your posterior hurts when you sit in a chair your definitely an economic migrant. May he overlooked the fact that one has to have 800,000 bahts seasoned here in the bank to stay. We were not able to program the stork that dropped us off in the west lucky for us. It was the luck of the draw. 

Perhaps you should read up on the rules for retirement extensions, especially the part that says "Or an income of at least 65,000 thb per month".

15 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Perhaps you should read up on the rules for retirement extensions, especially the part that says "Or an income of at least 65,000 thb per month".

I am well aware of that my point was that we are not economic refugees here as the poster claims. Thanks for fine tuning my post. 

4 hours ago, meatboy said:

what couckoo land planet do you inhabit,thai household debt is at record levels,THE FACT IS you dont live in the real world.

Well at least I'm immersed enough in the real world to understand what the discussion's about before opening my mouth.

This isn't about Thais, is it?

It's about farangs who are either working here or retired here and whether or not those working spend more than those on fixed incomes and could conceivably be regarded as a better group for immigration to focus on catering to

So, with respect, who gives a shit if Thai household debt is at record levels?

Archived