World temperatures hit new high in 2016 for third year in a row

webfact

World temperatures hit new high in 2016 for third year in a row

By Environment Correspondent Alister Doyle

REUTERS

rr.jpg

People are seen in silhouette as they cool off in water fountains in a park as hot summer temperatures hit Paris, France, August 24, 2016. REUTERS/Pascal Rossignol

OSLO (Reuters) - World temperatures hit a record high for the third year in a row in 2016, creeping closer to a ceiling set by the Paris climate change deal, with extremes including unprecedented heat in India and ice melt in the Arctic, scientists said on Wednesday.

The findings, providing new signs of the impact of greenhouse gases, were issued two days before the inauguration of U.S. President-elect Donald Trump, who questions whether climate change has a human cause.

Average global surface temperatures in 2016 were 0.83 degree Celsius (1.5 Fahrenheit) above a long-term average of 14 degrees Celsius (57.2F) from 1961-1990, according to the U.N.-affiliated World Meteorological Organisation (WMO) in Geneva.

Temperatures, lifted mainly by man-made greenhouse gases and partly by a natural El Nino weather event that released heat from the Pacific Ocean, beat the previous record in 2015, when 200 nations agreed a plan to limit global warming.

That peak had in turn eclipsed 2014.

"We don't expect record years every year, but the ongoing long-term warming trend is clear," said Gavin Schmidt, director of NASA's Goddard Institute for Space Studies.

The WMO data were based on records compiled by NASA, the U.S. National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) and Britain's Met Office.

Global temperature records date back to the 1880s. It was only the second run of three record-breaking years after 1939-41, said Deke Arndt of NOAA's National Centres for Environmental Information.

Temperatures this year are unlikely to set a new record after the fading of El Nino, scientists said. But heat-trapping gases from burning fossil fuels, especially from China and the United States, will keep building up in the atmosphere.

"Unless we have a major volcanic eruption, I expect the record to be broken again within a few years," said Piers Forster, climate expert at the University of Leeds. Ash from big eruptions can dim sunlight.

NATURAL DISASTERS

Among last year's extreme weather events, wildfires in Alberta were the costliest natural disaster in Canada's history, while Phalodi in western India recorded a temperature of 51 degrees Celsius (123.8 Fahrenheit) on May 19, a national record.

North America also had its warmest year on record, the Great Barrier Reef off Australia suffered severe damage from rising temperatures, and sea ice in both the Arctic Ocean and around Antarctica is at record lows for mid-January.

At a summit in Paris in late 2015, governments agreed a plan to phase out fossil fuels this century and shift to renewable energies such as wind and solar power.

They agreed to limit warming to "well below" 2 degrees Celsius (3.6F) above pre-industrial times, while pursuing efforts for a 1.5C (2.7F) limit. By that yardstick, the WMO said temperatures in 2016 were 1.1C (2.0F) above pre-industrial ties.

"Long-term indicators of human-caused climate change reached new heights in 2016,” said Petteri Taalaas, head of the WMO, referring to rising levels of carbon dioxide and methane.

He also said that warming was having other knock-on effects, such as melting Greenland ice that is pushing up sea levels.

Trump, who has described climate change as a hoax, has threatened to cancel the Paris Agreement and shift to exploiting cheap domestic coal, oil and gas. At a meeting in Marrakesh days after Trump's victory, however, almost 200 nations said it was an "urgent duty" to combat climate change.

Trump's choice to lead the Environmental Protection Agency, Oklahoma Attorney General Scott Pruitt, was quizzed by Democratic senators at a confirmation hearing on Wednesday about his fossil fuel industry ties.

"The hottest year on record is such a clear warning siren that even President-elect Trump cannot ignore," said Mark Maslin, Professor of Climatology at University College London.

(Reporting by Alister Doyle; editing by Mark Heinrich)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-01-19

I would really like to know how they measure the global temperature.

Or do they just measure average temperatures on certain spots in selected locations 

to prove their theory of global warming ? [which they actually do ... and the spots are very selected !]

It's a HOAX and Science has given up on itself for the sake of money ...

Politicians use it to implement policies they could never get away with in normal circumstances.

... and the public is to ignorant, lazy and stupid to call the BS what it is: It's BS and nothing else !

At a summit in Paris in late 2015, governments agreed a plan to phase out fossil fuels this century and shift to renewable energies such as wind and solar power.

Really. Who is going to pay the bill? Do they think the technology to replace the combustion engine at an affordable price is just going to magically appear?

Sounds like they wrote down a wish list, knowing that they wouldn't be around at the end of the century to be responsible when it didn't happen.

On 1/19/2017 at 2:21 PM, webfact said:

issued two days before the inauguration of U.S. President-elect Donald Trump, who questions whether climate change has a human cause.

The Donald will put an end to all this nonsense kick the EPA out the door and buy more coal for American power plants license more off shore drilling and on public lands. Does he care if you can set your tap water on fire? Hardly. All is well. 

21 minutes ago, Beats56 said:

Well I hope it is not as hot here as last year.  Couldn't walk across my patio with out breaking in to a sweat.

Your just aging gracefully don't sweat it. The Donald after he is sworn in will install new "rigged" thermometers in all buildings. End of climate change. Of course if he become a big blowhard all this could change drastically. An ill wind blows no good. 

8 minutes ago, elgordo38 said:

The Donald will put an end to all this nonsense kick the EPA out the door and buy more coal for American power plants license more off shore drilling and on public lands. Does he care if you can set your tap water on fire? Hardly. All is well. 

As I understand it the tap water on fire was just BS for the story ie faked.

4 minutes ago, elgordo38 said:

Your just aging gracefully don't sweat it. The Donald after he is sworn in will install new "rigged" thermometers in all buildings. End of climate change. Of course if he become a big blowhard all this could change drastically. An ill wind blows no good. 

Don't sweat the small things and don't pet the sweaty things.?

26 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Next your going to tell me that aliens did not land on earth and the deep state did not kill JFK and that the 3rd building that collapsed in 9/11 fell over because it was tired. Yes your understanding is right on track never deviate or the truth could hurt you. 

1 hour ago, Beats56 said:

Well I hope it is not as hot here as last year.  Couldn't walk across my patio with out breaking in to a sweat.

They said "...0.83 degree Celsius (1.5 Fahrenheit) above a long-term average of 14 degrees Celsius (57.2F) from 1961-1990, according to the U.N.-affiliated World Meteorological Organisation (WMO) in Geneva."

How does a 1.5 F increase over a more than twenty or thirty years make you break into a sweat ?      We're just moving back to a more normal warm temperature after spending about 500 years in the Little Ice Age of 1300 - 1850.  

We should expect to warm gradually from that for 150 - 200 years.       And, comparing now.. to the past 500 - 600 million years.. we are at a very cool time in the Earth's history.   And a very low atmospheric CO2 level also. 

As a matter of fact... we are in an Ice Age ....right now ! !        

Paleoclimatology is a very interesting subject..  Even more interesting is seeing how the left and internationalists use normal climate change.... and take advantage of the igorance of most people on the subject.. to further their political agenda on a world wide scale.   

Edited by Catoni
typing correction

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Yes... it was faked in as much as the claim was that it was because of fracking. 

State regulators did an in-depth determined the source was natural seepage from a shallower rock formation, and that nearby natural gas wells “have not contributed and are not contributing to contamination of any domestic water wells.”

In another case... a man called people and showed how he could hold a match to the end of a garden hose... and have flames come out.  (It was discovered he had attached it to a gas line... not a water tap.) 

Water on fire in some areas has been a normal thing for hundreds and thousands of years from gas seeps.  Not even thirty miles from me is a spot in the Niagara Escarpment where natural gas in vapor form is coming out of the rocks in the cliff.  It's invisible.... not liguid gas....Native indians in this area knew about it before the white man came here. 

If you know the spot... you can stike a match there, or hold a lighter to the rock and the vapors catch fire..Wind will blow it out. 

We have some small oil deposits and natural gas deposits in the area.  There are a few farms where the farmers had wells drilled to tap the gas.

Edited by Catoni
addition...

3 minutes ago, Beats56 said:

Ya I am not a global warning guy...it was humidity that got to me. Temps not as hot as normal but the humidity that got to me.

I remember flying out of Canada in the middle of an icy snowy February, and less than 24 hours later landing in Bangkok from Hong Kong.. then flying to Chiang Mai..... and the tropical heat and humidity hit me like a ton of bricks. Not good for a guy in his 60's.

But I had done a study of Acclimatization...  to help me adjust.  So I avoided using airconditioning...  Stuck to just using a ceiling fan .

First three weeks I was sweating like crazy.... I must have looked like I'd gone swimmining with my clothes on ..55555

Drank lots of bottled water with a bit of electrolyte powder added.  Then.... after about three weeks... my sweating started to slow down, even though we were getting even warmer approaching Songkran.... around the hottest time of the year.   Ended up having days when it reached 104 F..     I felt the heat... it was hot.... but I was no longer suffering in it... and I was just sweating normaly ...  not soaked in sweat anymore..     

We can acclimatize if we know how....  We're all descended from a tropical region of the world....  our DNA has not forgotten. 

An international study show that cold climates kills many more than tropical hot climates.....  The study — published in the British journal The Lancet — analyzed data on more than 74 million deaths in 13 countries between 1985 and 2012. Of those, 5.4 million deaths were related to cold, while 311,000 were related to heat.

The study analysed over 74 million (74,225,200) deaths between 1985 and 2012 in 13 countries with a wide range of climates, from cold to subtropical. Data on daily average temperature, death rates, and confounding variables (eg, humidity and air pollution) were used to calculate the temperature of minimum mortality (the optimal temperature), and to quantify total deaths due to non-optimal ambient temperature in each location. The researchers then estimated the relative contributions of heat and cold, from moderate to extreme temperatures.

Around 7.71% of all deaths were caused by non-optimal temperatures, with substantial differences between countries, ranging from around 3% in Thailand, Brazil, and Sweden to about 11% in China, Italy, and Japan. Cold was responsible for the majority of these deaths (7.29% of all deaths), while just 0.42% of all deaths were attributable to heat.

The study also found that extreme temperatures were responsible for less than 1% of all deaths, while mildly sub-optimal temperatures accounted for around 7% of all deaths -- with most (6.66% of all deaths) related to moderate cold.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/05/150520193831.htm