Tabian Baan - who is the housemaster

The question, because I have seen conflicting information.

I OWN my condo.

I live ALONE (now).

I have a blue book that is empty. (OK, page one has some Thai stuff on it I cannot read)

I have no Yellow book because there is no housemaster in the blue book.

A poster on here said, a foreigner cannot be the housemaster in the blue book.

That would mean that no foreigner living alone in his own condo could ever register as a resident of their own condo.

Fire away experts.

If you own the condo, yes the blue book will not have your name in it as foreigner cannot be in a blue book and it is usually blank, Foriegner gets a yellow book and is housemaster in it, local Ampher will  (should) issue a yellow book. A couple of threads on here about paperwork required, it appears most amphers have there own requirements. At some passport, chanote, blue book etc, some require additional Translation of passport certified by Thai ministry of foreign affairs and some thai witnesses..

Immigration will accept the blank bluebook for residency etc, also you dont have to be an owner to get a yellow book.

The following is pattaya requirements

yellow.jpg

Edited by Peterw42
  • Like 2

You can't be a housemaster. Only given to the local Thai or Permanent Resident. Unless you ask someone (Thai) to be the housemaster. There is a risk taking Thai as a housemaster.

Once you have a housemaster, then you can apply the Yellow House Registration Book (Yellow Tabien Baan). 

When I bought my car, the only thing that Pattaya Immigration wanted in order to issue me a Residence Certificate was for me to be in their computer system (90 day reports)  and have a utility receipt in my name.  At that time I had not changed over my condo electricity to my name so the only bill I was able to show was my TOT phone bill 

But Pattaya Immigration changes their requirements so often , who knows what they want today !

4 hours ago, Maestro said:

Was the blank blue book the only document you had to show to get the residence certificate at the Pattaya immigration office?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

As others have said, its your current status with jomtein immigration, if you have done 90 day reports, extension of stay, tm30s etc, then you are in the system. If you have just moved here, then you may have to present documents to be in the system, then get a res cert. Technically as owner of your condo, you are supposed to do a TM30, reporting yourself. Just front up with all your documents and ask for a res cert, the worst that can happen is a fine for no tm30. 

Without reading all previous replies, I can advise that you can definitely get a Yellow house book with your name it etc- I have just done exactly that this week in Sattahip. This is the faring version of a  Blue book, since you CANNOT have your name in the Blue book.

It also comes with an ID card showing a photo of you along with your address etc.

To get one, you need proof of ownership, ( Channoot etc ) copies of blue book & passport. A translation of your passport. A residence certificate from immigration. You will need a  visa rather than 30 day exception stamp. 

You have to go to the area Ampor office, and take a Thai witness with you. You will also need to contact the local Juristic person to confirm you live in the district. He will need to sign the paperwork at the Amphor. 

I honestly cannot see a single use for the yellow book. I have discussed this with my expat friends and they too have never found a single occasion in all the time they lived here where the yellow book would serve any purpose whatsoever. It is not the equivalent of the Blue tambien baan. It is simply a certificate of residence. You can get one of these from the immigration or your embassy. Most of us would consider a Thai driving licence for more useful than the yellow book for identification purposes. I would say it simply just is not worth the bother of getting one. I have a pink ID and that can be used for anything almost. And contrary to what some people are posting you do not need a yellow book to get a pink ID.

10 hours ago, gamini said:

I honestly cannot see a single use for the yellow book. I have discussed this with my expat friends and they too have never found a single occasion in all the time they lived here where the yellow book would serve any purpose whatsoever. It is not the equivalent of the Blue tambien baan. It is simply a certificate of residence. You can get one of these from the immigration or your embassy. Most of us would consider a Thai driving licence for more useful than the yellow book for identification purposes. I would say it simply just is not worth the bother of getting one. I have a pink ID and that can be used for anything almost. And contrary to what some people are posting you do not need a yellow book to get a pink ID.

Loads of topics on here re uses for yellow book. Won't go into it on this topic

On ‎19‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 7:48 PM, Peterw42 said:

I think your information is incorrect. I have a yellow book and no house master in my blue book. A couple of friends the same. And I am housemaster in my yellow book. There are no rules stating there must be a thai housemaster in a blue book, or no yellow book will be issued. Check the list I posted above, that is all the documents required in pattaya to get a yellow book, a blue book , or a thai housemaster, isnt even on the list.

Can you post a copy of your Tabien Baan.

I'll guarantee you status will be Poo Assai = Person who stays here, rather than Chow Baan = Head of household.

Even married expats with PR status cannot be first named as Head of household in a Blue book.

Your Tabien Baan registration number will be prefixed with a '6', meaning you are an alien with temporary permission to stay.

14 hours ago, gamini said:

How much do you pay for Certificate of Residence?

Is your Immigration office within easy access?

A C of R is only valid for use within 30 days.

A Tabien Baan is an official registration of address that doesn't expire, so it's like owning a permanent Certificate of Residence.

Originally my Passport was used as ID for opening a bank account, obtaining a driving license, tax registration etc, along with copies of my landlords TB and ID card as proof of address.

Once I acquired my Tabien Baan and had a registration number, I changed the ID details with my bank, tax office and DLT office.

Now I only require my TB and ID card for any procedure (same as a Thai).

Any government department can check your details online from your TB registration number.

Gone are the days of obtaining a C of R and endless copies of documents.

51 minutes ago, dentonian said:

Can you post a copy of your Tabien Baan.

I'll guarantee you status will be Poo Assai = Person who stays here, rather than Chow Baan = Head of household.

Even married expats with PR status cannot be first named as Head of household in a Blue book.

Your Tabien Baan registration number will be prefixed with a '6', meaning you are an alien with temporary permission to stay.

20170121_120357.jpg

1 hour ago, dentonian said:

You are registered as Chow Baan.

You must own a Condo then but your type of dwelling in on the first page

A foreign PR can also be Jao Baan in the blue Tabien Baan. I know some that are. I guess it has to be that way because the first name to be registered automatically become Jao Baan.

Though I am a bit surprised that the holder of a yellow TB would become Jao Baan.

However it is a convoluted system as demonstrated to a foreign colleague of mine recently.

Owning a condo with a virgin Tabien Baan, he wanted to move his wife's registration and register their new baby in that TB. That required him proving ownership of the condo so that he could "give permission" for them to be listed and his wife to become Jao Baan, which after a trip to the Land Department he did.

A couple of weeks later he presented all the required documents to have his yellow TB issued in his own name. The same officer refused, requiring the presence of his wife because as Jao Baan, she needed to give her permission for him to be listed as resident in the condo that they have already acknowledged he owns.

Edited by thedemon
  • Like 1

However it is a convoluted system as demonstrated to a foreign colleague of mine recently.

Owning a condo with a virgin Tabien Baan, he wanted to move his wife's registration and register their new baby in that TB. That required him proving ownership of the condo so that he could "give permission" for them to be listed and his wife to become Jao Baan, which after a trip to the Land Department he did.

A couple of weeks later he presented all the required documents to have his yellow TB issued in his own name. The same officer refused, requiring the presence of his wife because as Jao Baan, she needed to give her permission for him to be listed as resident in the condo that they have already acknowledged he owns.

As different district offices use different rules and procedures it would be useful to know at what district office this happened.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

I have to admit that the slightly ridiculous situation that I referenced above does have a certain logic given the system that exists.

However to me that simply adds weight to the notion that the entire system should be trashed and rebuilt from scratch into something that will work efficiently in the 21st century.

For now though, the redeeming quality of visiting a district office in Thailand is the "Fawlty Towers" like humour that comes out of it.

11 hours ago, thedemon said:

A foreign PR can also be Jao Baan in the blue Tabien Baan. I know some that are. I guess it has to be that way because the first name to be registered automatically become Jao Baan.

Though I am a bit surprised that the holder of a yellow TB would become Jao Baan.

Actually that makes sense to me.

As a Condo owner he can't be named in the Blue book, but when married his wife can as the Chow Baan.

She now becomes the head of household and has to sign for her husband to obtain a Yellow book for the same address.

The Tabien Baans have nothing to do with ownership. It's just a registration of occupiers.

Had he been single and obtained a Yellow book, he could have been registered as Chow Baan, being the only occupier.

I know there are different rules for foreign Condo owners.

However, I am informed by my Amphur that a foreigner with PR status, married, owning a house will always be second named as the Poo Assai, and the Thai will be named as the Chow Baan in a blue book.

14 hours ago, dentonian said:

Actually that makes sense to me.

As a Condo owner he can't be named in the Blue book, but when married his wife can as the Chow Baan.

She now becomes the head of household and has to sign for her husband to obtain a Yellow book for the same address.

The Tabien Baans have nothing to do with ownership. It's just a registration of occupiers.

Had he been single and obtained a Yellow book, he could have been registered as Chow Baan, being the only occupier.

I know there are different rules for foreign Condo owners.

However, I am informed by my Amphur that a foreigner with PR status, married, owning a house will always be second named as the Poo Assai, and the Thai will be named as the Chow Baan in a blue book.

Your Amphur is wrong but nothing unusual in that. Whether they are married or live in a house is irrelevant.

9 hours ago, thedemon said:

Your Amphur is wrong but nothing unusual in that. Whether they are married or live in a house is irrelevant.

If so, then why is it a condition of a person obtaining PR that he be added to a Blue house book.

Why not issue a new blue house book to a person obtaining PR.

11 hours ago, dentonian said:

If so, then why is it a condition of a person obtaining PR that he be added to a Blue house book.

Why not issue a new blue house book to a person obtaining PR.

A new Tabien Baan is issued for a residence not for a person. So everyone has their name "added" to the document.

I have several empty blue Tabien Baans. They are a necessary document in order to have electricity and water connected even if no one is registered as living at that address.

34 minutes ago, thedemon said:

A new Tabien Baan is issued for a residence not for a person. So everyone has their name "added" to the document.

I have several empty blue Tabien Baans. They are a necessary document in order to have electricity and water connected even if no one is registered as living at that address.

I quite aware of what a Tabien Baan is issued for.

Your post contradicts itself.

"Everyone has their name added to the book, but you have several empty blue books."

The blue Tabien Baan comes with owning a Condo, but a foreigner cannot be named in it.

He can obtain a yellow Tabien Baan for the same address in which he can be named.

Only those foreigners with PR status can be named in a blue book, but not as the head of Household.

Only a Thai can have the Head of Household status in a blue book.

38 minutes ago, dentonian said:

I quite aware of what a Tabien Baan is issued for.

Your post contradicts itself.

"Everyone has their name added to the book, but you have several empty blue books."

The blue Tabien Baan comes with owning a Condo, but a foreigner cannot be named in it.

He can obtain a yellow Tabien Baan for the same address in which he can be named.

Only those foreigners with PR status can be named in a blue book, but not as the head of Household.

Only a Thai can have the Head of Household status in a blue book.

I have been through the PR process and have my name in a blue Tabien Baan. I have friends also with PR that are listed as Jao Baan.

The topic has been discussed several times in the PR thread because there are real people that have had to deal with this issue.

But it's ok, you can go on believing whatever you want to.

8 minutes ago, thedemon said:

I have been through the PR process and have my name in a blue Tabien Baan.

Congratulations! I have never stated anything different to that fact.

10 minutes ago, thedemon said:

. I have friends also with PR that are listed as Jao Baan.

In a Blue Tabien Baan?