Nvidia Shield (2017-?)

SooKee

Have to say this looks pretty outstanding now.  The regular remote is now bundled with it ($50 extra before), it also now has Amazon Prime Video (so looks like Google / Amazon have sorted their feud out, at least a bit), smaller form factor, Google Home is integral (with an always on microphone in the controller), Amazon Prime and Netflix is  4K UHD ready, supports pass-through of 5.1 and 7.1 audio and delivers an excellent surround sound experience. It also supports Dolby Digital (AC3), Dolby Digital Plus (E-AC3), DTS-HD, DTS-HD MA, Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Atmos, DTS-X and DTS Core Audio Streams in pass-through mode.

Still a bit pricey for a streamer than can play middling games I think but I still fancy one if I can get one here from the US somehow, especially if I can wait for Black Friday 2017.  At the US / UK $1 = £1 conversion rate it's less attractive.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah.  I might go down that route at some stage.  Was sadly underwhelmed with the Amazon Fire TV, especially after finding (through not researching as much as I should) that it won't play Amazon Prime by default and needs a VPN to actually connect it via an Amazon account country.  I'd researched the boxes and which was best up to the hilt but failed to check that an Amazon device would actually work with an Amazon service that they provide internationally, and a service that DOES work on a laptop or a mobile app, just not on the Fire TV / Stick.  Assumed it would, WRONG!!  At the time the new Shield wasn't out.  Netflix seem to be able to make their apps identify where you are viewing from and serving you up what you're entitled to.  Not Amazon.  A rushed, poorly thought out and poorly implemented jump by Amazon into the Prime Video (let's grab a piece of the Netflix cake) market while it's app developers sit with their fingers stuck up their a55es.  Stick to selling things Amazon!!

Sadly though, wile the new Shield (and the update for the old one) has the baked in Amazon app now it's the same as on the Fire TV, so requires a VPN and won't switch to Prime by default when outside Amazon account countries.  Quite a few complaints about it on the Shield forums.  So at the moment I'm kinda 'off' Android boxes and have parked the idea as they don't provide me with anything better than what I have now (not interested in IPTV at the moment, paid or otherwise), just wanted a one box solution that could do 

Plex

Netflix HD

Prime Video HD (not the VPN / Amazon account country version)

YouTube HD

IPTV if I ever wanted it

Neither the Shield or the Fire TV does it currently.  I did find I really hated that Amazon centric UI on the Fire though.  Better for me to stick with the Apple TV and Airplay Prime to the big screen when needed (which won't be long given the dismal lack of content even compared to Netflix and iFlix).  I wanted to try and get iFlix to play on an Android device too but it's a laptop or mobile device app based service, works with a touch screen only, and cant be used on an Android box, at least not in a way I can find.  I'm not prepared to keep throwing money down the drain trying different boxes and /or devices like an air mouse to find they don't work when I can simply Airplay it, and without that immensely annoying Amazon UI getting in the way.

Amazon Prime is Geolocked to the UK so if you want to watch it you must have a VPN, it makes no diference at all what device you watch it on. Its the same as NETFLIX was not to long ago before it opened up here in Thailand.

Now I am a Shield user  and I dont understand your list for a one box solution. The Shield can do all of that and so much more. I have the following

PLEX ,

NEFLIX UHD-4K HDR,

YOUTUBE HD/4K-UHD

IPTV, I use Flawless IPTV and run it through PERFECT Player,

AMAZON Prime Video 4k-UHD HDR - running via a VPN,

In addition to this you have 2 great medi players KODI & SPMC which makes the world your oyster with the multitude of addons that can be added.

Wrong!!  If you want to watch Amazon Prime Video which is an international service (and is distinctly different from Amazon Video which is a geo locked Amazon account country service) you can subscribe to it and watch it on any laptop and their mobile phone apps which DO NOT require a VPN and which allow you to view the content which your region is licenced to show, in the same way that you can watch Netflix, also without a VPN.  The Amazon App embedded in the new Shield is the same as the Fire TV version and requires  a VPN to view the Amazon content.

Nice one SooKee. I downloaded it onto my phone to take a look. Cheap as chips at 100baht for the first six months.

Unfortunately, when I installed it on my Minix 6 it doesn't work. I checked the system requirement for the Amazon app. and my Android box meets them.

Weird.

Ah. That sucks. I thought it might actually work if it was the phone app that was downloaded. You'd think it would be the standard phone app that does work on the phone. Clearly not.

I actually quite like iFlix at the moment. 1,000 baht per year and has phone apps and website. I usually Airplay it to the TV from the laptop to get full screen. If you try to sling it from a phone you get the lower resolution and black borders. Not sure if it'd work on the Minix and I'm reluctant to buy one to find it doesn't. Only thing is. When I tried it on the Fire TV it's clearly an app designed for phone touchscreens and for the life of me I couldn't 'select' anything to play. I wondered if it'd work with the Minix air mouse.

Sent using Tapatalk

Wrong!!  If you want to watch Amazon Prime Video which is an international service (and is distinctly different from Amazon Video which is a geo locked Amazon account country service) you can subscribe to it and watch it on any laptop and their mobile phone apps which DO NOT require a VPN and which allow you to view the content which your region is licenced to show, in the same way that you can watch Netflix, also without a VPN.  The Amazon App embedded in the new Shield is the same as the Fire TV version and requires  a VPN to view the Amazon content.

I'm watching Amazon Prime TV on my Fire TV with no probs. Am I doing something wrong?

How you are doing so without a VPN or DNS I'm not sure. Because the Fire TV contains the Geo coded version of their video app, Amazon Video NOT Amazon Prime. So how it's working I've no idea. It shouldn't be. Hence Amazon stressing the point that the Fire TV is NOT supported in non Amazon account countries and certainly not for Prime Video.

That said. Mine worked for a couple of days. Until I tried to do things with it from which I guess it picked up the Geo coding. Then nothing. So if yours is working without a VPN or some other form of location making I'm very surprised. Because it shouldn't be.

Sent using Tapatalk

How you are doing so without a VPN or DNS I'm not sure. Because the Fire TV contains the Geo coded version of their video app, Amazon Video NOT Amazon Prime. So how it's working I've no idea. It shouldn't be. Hence Amazon stressing the point that the Fire TV is NOT supported in non Amazon account countries and certainly not for Prime Video.

That said. Mine worked for a couple of days. Until I tried to do things with it from which I guess it picked up the Geo coding. Then nothing. So if yours is working without a VPN or some other form of location making I'm very surprised. Because it shouldn't be.

Sent using Tapatalk

It's only the Amazon Prime watch while away part, so only a dozen or so shows such at Grand Tour, Red Oaks and Hand of God.

Yeah. Mine was working for a few days too. Then somehow, after I did a few things with it I started getting the 'we need to check your account'. I think it was after a software update. So I'm guessing it's OK up until something happens to kick in the Geo coding. Because technically it shouldn't work. There Fire TV Is only supported in Amazon Video account countries and is specifically NOT a Prime Video supported device. So I think it's a glitch that allows it to work. I'm also not sure if mine stopped working after I used one of the apps to access Prime after I'd got it working. But something sure triggers the 'computer says no' response from the box and makes it respond then as it should.

Sent using Tapatalk

Yeah. Mine was working for a few days too. Then somehow, after I did a few things with it I started getting the 'we need to check your account'. I think it was after a software update. So I'm guessing it's OK up until something happens to kick in the Geo coding. Because technically it shouldn't work. There Fire TV Is only supported in Amazon Video account countries and is specifically NOT a Prime Video supported device. So I think it's a glitch that allows it to work. I'm also not sure if mine stopped working after I used one of the apps to access Prime after I'd got it working. But something sure triggers the 'computer says no' response from the box and makes it respond then as it should.

Sent using Tapatalk

I cleared the cache on the Prime app and rebooted. No probs since.

• 1 month later...
On 07/02/2017 at 5:29 PM, JaseTheBass said:

I cleared the cache on the Prime app and rebooted. No probs since.

I tried that. In fact tried everything except beating it with a mallet.  Seriously I HATE this thing!!!  That said, you might be returning to 'Watch Abroad' content, not 'Prime Video'.

As I said, my main needs are:

Plex

Netflix (HD preferably)

Prime Video HD (not the VPN / Amazon account country version)

YouTube HD

Deezer

IPTV if I ever wanted it

Ethernet port

Air Mouse compatible (having used one I will never go back to onscreen keyboards!!!)

Currently I'm using a Minix U9 which ticks ALL the boxes and very well too.  Likely to be good enough for me as a main box but 100% sure would be ideal as the bedroom box with the smaller TV.  Netflix is 480 though, not even 720, but it's still not ruining the experience.

The Shield is still up there as a contender BUT I need to be 100% sure they've sorted the Prime Video on that as it seens that Amazon have even managed to cock it up on the Shield app and, at $200, EVERYTHING I need will need to be running perfectly and with ANY problems at all.  Currently prime doesn't for many without them turning of location services and setting their language to English.  I mean, come on, for $200!!!!!

The Roku Premiere+ also seems a good unit.  Benefits from the RF remote and ethernet BUT there's no support for browsers and I'm not sure if it's Air Mouse compatible.  I'd also need to be certain about Prime Video on that too.  The Roku UI is also well dated now and while it's store has far more apps than others I'm not sure how useful they are or whether apps that I do need to use can be side loaded, will work (not sure if the Roku is Airmouse compatible and with the abysmal Fire TV experience without an Airmouse I wouldn't buy another device that wasn't compatible, and completely compatible).

• 4 weeks later...

Further on the NVidia Shield.  I notice that the Shield now displays on Amazon (USA) as CAN be shipped to Thailand.  VERY hefty import deposit to be paid though!!! 3,495 baht if paying with a Thai credit card.  OK if that charge doesn't get levied and you get it back, or at least most of it.  Really REALLY expensive if you don't!!!! 

Yeah I saw that, expensive or what? 5555555.  $372 for a $199 item.  I know some people wouldn't be able to do this but even with the UK's ludicrous $1 = £1 exchange rate on Amazon it'd STILL be cheaper me importing from there, even with the P&P on top (at £15), but I'd have to do that via a relative. It'd still only cost me $257 all in.

I also notice that when you look at Thai Nexus Man, the Shield TV has been removed from the product line up.  It was there at 9,900.  When I queried last time he said stock was due around mid-April.  I did suggest folks might be a bit peeved if they'd gone through the order process and paid only to find they need wait two months (as I would have had to) rather than use another channel.  Maybe he's taken the listing down until he's got stock, or stopped selling them?

I just checked Amazon USA again (worried the 'Ships to Thailand' result a couple of days ago might have been a glitch) and the costs are for the 16GB version (converted by Amazon when using a Thai payment card):

Shield:                                    7,624

P&P:                                            898

Import fees pre-payment:   3,487

Total                            11,650

REALLY good price IF you don't end up paying the import deposit (or at least get part, or hopefully even most, of it back).  I know folks who have ordered other items and got the whole lot back.  Around a 50% mark up if you get hit for the lot though but still around 1,000 less than Lazada.  I'd seen reference (and complaints) before that the Amazon pre-paid customs deposit had gone up to 50% now.  That's a bit steep IMO!  With that kind of money I think I'd rather be dealing with Amazon too in the event of a DOA or non delivery.  Probably being overly cautious.

Thanks. Also just checked on internet too. Look good.I guess it is only available on Lazada and not anywhere else in Thailand (Fortune tower...).
I have a minix neo U1 already but my wife like to use it at home. I bought it especially for my travels but i have to leave it at home now for my wife. I also bought a minix Z83-4 (windows) but i find it little bit useless at it seems to be only a mini pc.
If i find a Nvidia available in Thailand, i will buy it now. On Lazada, delivery won't happen before the end of the month and i will be probably away already

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

41 minutes ago, Jai Dee said:

Here and here are reviews of the 2017 NVidia Shield.

It would appear that the only difference between the two models is the memory: 15GB vs 500GB.

Little bit more than that.  The Pro has a Micro SD slot (but the Shield can use a USB drive via it's USB 3.0 ports too) and Micro USB, but nothing that would sway me to buy the Pro.  More useful if you're a heavy gamer I guess.

Im edging closer to purchasing the Shield.

Apparently the Minix A2-Lite air mouse works well with it. (don't need voice commands and all that bollux)

All I need is the standard film and tv apps, kodi and a couple of other media players…that's it.

Just wish they had 3 usb ports instead of two.

And I will have to side load nearly all my favourite apks.

But otherwise looks good to go.

I'm edging closer to purchasing the Shield.   Apparently the Minix A2-Lite air mouse works well with it. (Don't need voice commands and all that bullocks)  

All I need is the standard film and tv apps, code and a couple of other media players… that's it.

Just wish they had 3 USB ports instead of two.

And I will have to side load nearly all my favourite alpacas.

But otherwise looks good to go.

[/Quote]

I picked up a Shield on Amazon (free delivery to Sydney, collected it when visiting family and made sure to get the international charge pack, additional cost). Have not used the keyboard or mouse as it runs smoothly with the supplied controls (game & hand held). I have installed the Titanium build on Kodi and some IPTV on SPMC, sideloaded all the APKS I ever wanted, its the best box, I have come across. Nothing comes close to it on the market at the moment for speed and reliability. I have expanded the memory through using a USB port, so I know where you're coming from about having another USB port.

24 minutes ago, Daryle said:

I picked up a Shield on Amazon (free delivery to Sydney, collected it when visiting family and made sure to get the international charge pack, additional cost). Have not used the keyboard or mouse as it runs smoothly with the supplied controls (game & hand held). I have installed the Titanium build on Kodi and some IPTV on SPMC, sideloaded all the APKS I ever wanted, its the best box, I have come across. Nothing comes close to it on the market at the moment for speed and reliability. I have expanded the memory through using a USB port, so I know where you're coming from about having another USB port.

Sold!!!  I was close on pulling the trigger anyway.  Ordered .  :partytime2:  I'll be using the A2 Lite too, there's problems with the A2 taking over the audio AFAIK.  Even without that problem I find the Enter and Mute buttons on the Lite much more use than Microphone and Settings.

The U9 will go in the bedroom.  The Fire TV will go in it's box as a spare.  

Cheers. I'll have a look at those. Joy eh. Doubtless I'll have a dozen or so other sites to look at to get up to speed with the Shield. Enjoyable but they sure do suck the time out of your days 5555.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, JHolmesJr said:

you might want this if you side load apks

https://www.htpcbeginner.com/nvidia-shield-tv-launchers/

I'll keep those in mind.  For Android I tend to keep a standard back-up of a set up of both Nova Launcher and Square Home Tablet that I use in place of stock launchers.  AFAIK Nova and Square will run on the STV so I'll likely try and stick with those.  I'll put up a couple of screen shots of the home screens on my current U9 over the next day or so.

Looks like the NVidia Shield is back up at Thai Nexus Man (either that or it was before and I was looking in the wrong place.  Could have sworn it had it's own sub-section before - now it's under Android TV and Chromecast).  Not sure if he's got stock yet.  Messaged him but waiting for a reply.  At 9,900 for the 16GB it would be the cheapest option around unless you order direct from Amazon US AND don't get hit for the full Customs deposit.  Lazada would be the last option I'd use I think, simply because of the price.

I've never ordered from TNM but I've see the site recommended by others who have ordered and been happy with the goods and service.  I'm less reluctant to take risks though with suppliers I don't know once the price is up above 2-3k and where the goods need to be paid for before delivery.  That's where the Lazada COD option might be useful (if it's available for the Shield) but it's sure not worth a 6,000 baht price hike on the Amazon standard price or even on the cost, even including delivery, from Amazon or TNM, not for me anyways. Too late for me now though.  Trigger pulled on Amazon already, loading the gun up now to play Russian roulette on that Customs deposit.

TNM link: https://www.thainexusman.com/en/product/381/nvidia-shield-android-tv

One thing that DOES concern me a bit with the Shield is some reported (and as yet, seemingly unfixed) frame stuttering with Plex and Netflix:

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/990328/shield-tv/netflix-random-frame-skips-2015-after-5-0-2-2017-with-5-1-/1/

Had a bit of a panic when I first saw it BUT luckily, as far as I could see, it was affecting the 2015 Shield (which some people are still buying in light of the  discounted prices available and with the remote thrown in too where dealers have stock) only, reading it through though it seems some 2017 Pros were affected too. Seems like it's not affecting everyone even then and, from what I can see from a speed read through last night, primarily relates to manual setting of refresh rates at 23.976hz.  

Picked up my Shield yesterday. Opted to pick one up from Thai Nexus Man (easy enough in BKK if you're near to a BTS as goods can be picked from them near BTS Krungthonburi) at a cost of 9,900. Guess I paid about 1,300 over the odds IF Customs didn't take any import charges and IF I got the refund from Amazon. If I got hit with a 1,000 baht from Customs the price would be just a few hundred baht over, if I got taken for the full deposit at Amazon, around 2,000 baht less so I figured it was worth the roll of the dice in this case, plus I was able to get it NOW and inspect it (NISB), including making sure it wasn't a DOA unit.

There's been quite a lot of complaints about Amazon recently with racking their Customs deposits up to 50% of the value of the goods AND with a lot of customers on their forums complaining that they aren't getting their deposits back at all, even after no charges being levied. Not sure what the score is with that but in this case I figured I'd rather get the device for 9,900 rather than the 11,700 I could have ended up paying.

Thai Nexus Man seems to specialise in all things Google and the price for the Shield is surprisingly good for LOS IMO. They are also selling them on Lazada for 10,900 with COD. Pricier still but a good option if you don't live in BKK and don't fancy risking getting stung for the full Amazon deposit. At their old 15% rate ordering from them would need a no brainier but at 50%! Plus you do have the risk of a DOA. Sure they'd sort it out but it'd be a hassle. DOAs are rare I guess but they do happen.

Looking forward to setting up today, hence the early rise :)

Posted using Tapatalk

Hmmmm. Trying to quote the USB post here but something seems to be screwed up with the formatting of it. Had it a lot with quotes just lately, especially with Tapatalk, and trying to sort it out on a touch device is such a bitch I just give up.

Out of interest, what USB storage option are you using? I've been having a read through about all the Nvidia recommended USB thumb drives folks are using but finding they are getting hot and/or getting ejected by the device. Consensus seems to be that, recommended or not, the thumb drives are just not up to getting the activity they get off of a Shield and can't cope. Much as I'd prefer there not to be yet ANOTHER box around I'm thinking of going with something like a small 500GB Seagate Back Up Plus at around 1,600. I've always found them reliable and they're not far off the price of the 128/256 thumb drives anyway. They'd sure be able to take the use they'd get too, being full blown HDDs. I was even looking at a 256 GB SSD in a USB 3 Enclosure but I'm thinking that'd be overkill.

Posted using Tapatalk

Archived