Nvidia Shield (2017-?)

SooKee

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got back home.  Did a couple of update checks on my Shield....still no update for me....guess I'm still in their public release queue.  By public release I mean for for everyone versus only preview/beta testers.   Looking forward to their Oreo update.

I also checked my Xiaomi Mi Box 3 today for it's Oreo release...and as you reported in the Mi Box 3 thread the update was available....installed fine.   And it fixed the Youtube problem many Mi box owners like myself were experiencing.   Right now I'm in the mood to order another Mi Box 3.

18 minutes ago, Pib said:

Got back home.  Did a couple of update checks on my Shield....still no update for me....guess I'm still in their public release queue.  By public release I mean for for everyone versus only preview/beta testers.   Looking forward to their Oreo update.

I also checked my Xiaomi Mi Box 3 today for it's Oreo release...and as you reported in the Mi Box 3 thread the update was available....installed fine.   And it fixed the Youtube problem many Mi box owners like myself were experiencing.   Right now I'm in the mood to order another Mi Box 3.

Why do you want the update?

And because on the Mi it offers

The ability to use more than one Google account

You get the current ATV layout

Google Assistant works

CEC works better

It fixes You Tube playback issue

Better control over the revised Settings

There's a separate thread running on the Mi Oreo 8 update.

Sent using Tapatalk

This one goes a bit over my head tech-wise... But it seems there's been a lot of discussion in the tech forums about whether the just released MiBox Oreo update and the coming Shield Oreo update will incorporated something from Google called " Project Treble."

From what I have loosely gathered, it seems inclusion of that technology would increase the likelihood of either device getting steady and regular updates in the future from Google -- as opposed to the 1 major OS update and fairly few security updates the MiBox has had during its several year lifespan thus far.

I haven't seen any update on this in the past few days. Does anyone know if "treble" is being incorporated into the Shield or MiBox via the latest Oreo updates?

The following XDA thread has an explanation about this, and includes a list of treble enabled mobile devices, including quite a few from Xiaomi. But I'm not seeing any mention of any Android TVs on that list.

The thread does say "Google requires every Certified Android device launching with Android 8.0 Oreo and above to support Treble."  But I'm not sure if "launching" with 8 is considered the same as being updated to 8 in this case.

https://www.xda-developers.com/list-android-devices-project-treble-support/

Don't know about the Shield...but there is some early indication by some users the Mi box Oreo update include Treble support.  Are these users correct....I don't know.

https://9to5google.com/2018/06/26/xiaomi-mi-box-android-oreo-tv/

Interestingly, some users have also confirmed that Xiaomi made the needed changes to make this device work with Project Treble in this update as well. Hopefully, that means updates aren’t stopping here.

Oreo 8/Shield Experience 7 for my Shield just downloaded and successfully installed.

For the number of YouTube channels it shows 3 just like my Mi box...Recommended, Subscriptions and Trending.

YouTube works...that all I'm going to use tonight as I'm maxed out on Oreo for the day since both my Shield and Mi boxes upgraded to Oreo today. Will play with Oreo more tomorrow...See what I can mess up.

Oreo rules!!!!

Did the check for Treble on the Shield...It didn't give a True or False result...just a blank result. Guess that means it does not support Treble like how the Mi box gave a True result.

Now I'm really done for the night...goodnight.

Found out last night while Youtubing on Shield that after the Oreo update it has this nasty audio issue.  When fast forwarding on a YT video and starting at the new point you get very annoying "pop" sound as the video and audio begin to play from the new time point in the video.  Did not have this problem before the Oreo update.

I sent about 15 minutes last night changing a bunch of audio settings on the Shield trying to get rid of the problem and the only way I found to do that is by turning over audio control to the Infrared (IR) volume control on my Philips TV.   This completely got rid of the very annoying sound, but at a cost of having to use the Shield remote in IR mode for the "volume" control.

When doing this the Shield remote now must communicate for volume control via IR with the TV volume control vs the Bluetooth volume control built into the Shield.   This means to adjust volume I must point the Shield remote "at the TV so the IR connection will work whereas with a BT connection  you can point in any direction.  The Shield remote still controls all other functions via BT connection/signal, but it also uses its IR signal to communicate with the TV for the volume control.    

Yeap, didn't have this problem before the Oreo update.

Edit:  Fired-up the Mi Box 3 which got its Oreo upgrade also yesterday as did the Shield...the Mi Box 3 is hooked to a different TV but still a Philips TV very similar to the one hooked to the Shield box....about the only difference in the two TVs is different screen size.  For the Mi box after its Oreo upgrade yesterday and when using the official YT app (same version running on the Shield) I do "not" get the annoying pop sound when fast forwarding to a new time point on a YT video.   And I couldn't help myself but I did another test to see if the Mi box starts each YT video on first try after the Oreo upgrade....randomly picked 50 videos and each started on the first try.   Yeap, the YT problem on the Mi box experienced by many (like me) was fixed with its Oreo update. Before upgrade to Oreo only about 80% of the videos would start on first try....sometimes I would have to try to start a video several times to get it to play...and few simply would not play.   Before the Mi box Oreo upgrade I used the app named SmartYoutube to get around this Mi box YT problem as SmartYoutube started YT videos on first try 100% of the time....just like the official Youtube app is now doing after the Oreo upgrade. 

Not having the same problem here.  Resuming from Pause or FF has no popping sound?  Strange?  Are you running SETV 7.02?

One thing I have noticed with the latest SETV 7.02 is that Spotify which was selectable as a Channel before is now in the Channel list but not selectable.  Not a deal breaker but a bit annoying.  Not sure if this is the case on the Mi or not, not checked yet.

On the You Tube front it seems there has been a YT update and you should now get Trending, Subscriptions and Recommendations as available YT Channels.  Subscriptions don't work to well at the moment as it pulls from just one but hopefully it's getting there.  I now have Subs and Recs turned on, Recs is actually doing a good job of pulling from subscriptions and latest uploads, at least so far!

Running Oreo 8.0.0 and SETV 7.0.2.  I think it's purely just an audio interface glitch between the Shield "and my particular model Philips TV" after the Shield updated to Oreo.   Also running the latest Youtube...ver 2.03.04....same version on both the Shield and Mi.  This morning I even uninstalled YT updates on the Shield which rolled it back to the factory version of 2.02.XX....when it updated itself it was back to ver 2.03.04 which must be the latest version.  Still have the audio issue "unless" I turn over volume control via IR setup to the Philips TV....then zero annoying audio pop.  The pop more prominent on some music videosl 

For me the Subscriptions channel immediately appeared after I did the Thailand to U.S. location change...and I was running above YT version yesterday also because I remember checking the YT version last night...it was 2.03.04 just like this morning.  

You maybe right on the TV front. I run my Shield through a Samsung sound bar in the living room. No sound issues. Mi box is straight to a Samsung TV. No issues.

Not sure whether the YT changes needed an app update. Haven't altered mine at all. Got the three YouTube channel options as of last night. Maybe it takes a while for the app to pick up settings from YT or maybe something changed at the Google end. Either way, happy now the Channels contain more relevant content. Will wait a few days to see if the Subscription channel starts to pick up from more than one. Don't have the time or inclination to start searching what the single subscription channel pick up might be caused by. At least not yet.

Sent using Tapatalk

I'm pretty sure now it's just a TV thing as I replaced the Shield with the Mi on the offending TV and still got the annoying sound....it's not so bad on some music videos.   During that test I found if I lower the TV volume near the low end but compensate with the Mi or Shield volume set towards the high end to get the same volume level that annoying pop/static sound when the video restarts from its new time point is not nearly as bad.  

I also noticed today I do have a little bit of that static/pop sound with the Mi on the other Philips TV....but it was definitely less to non existent before the Oreo update.   Was too lazy to move the Shield to that other TV to run the test.

But as mentioned earlier I found a way to completely eliminate the static/pop sound "by allowing the Shield remote to operate in IR mode to control the volume of the TV"....it one of the audio settings in the Shield....just one of many additional settings that the Mi box does not have.  

Somehow this must give the TV more control over the sound which does away with the annoying sound.  I had also tried the Shield audio setting of just passing through the audio volume control to the TV/end device but I still got the annoying sound.    The IR beam on the Shield remote is pretty wide so I just need to point the remote anywhere on the TV....kinda like just need to hit anywhere on the dart boat or surrounding wall versus having to aim to get a bullseye.  Plus the volume control is more refined when in IR mode....can make smaller volume adjustments compared to if the Shield is in primary control of volume operating in Bluetooth mode.

All my talk about using the IR portion of the Shield Remote (which does both Bluetooth and IR) to control the volume of my end device (i.e., my TV) to fix the annoying static/pop in Youtube video when fast forwarding to a new point in the video is summarized below....a cut and paste from the online Shield Manual.

Also tried turning on the HDMI-CEC volume control in the Sheild but with my 10 year TV I then get no volume control....expect the TV CEC version (surely an early version) for volume control don't get along with the Shield which is surely using a much later version.   Anyway, turning on IR volume control fixes my issue.

Click This Web Link to Go To Below in the Online Shield Manual

image.png.348a2edab28920e9205a947972917120.png

Couple more issues on the Shield I've experienced after the Oreo upgrade besides the Youtube fast foward audio issue which I have found a workaround for.  Last night whenever staring up Mobdro and since Mobdro does an update check on each start it kept telling me a new version was available...ver 2.1.9.....I was running ver 2.1.7.  

Normally you just click OK, it downloads/installs the update, and in 30 seconds or so you are good to go again....running the latest version.    But whenever doing that I would get a security restriction prompt...you know, saying I needed to allow sideloads/unknown app/non-Google Play app loads, but that setting on the Shield was set to allow such sideloads.   However, the Shield just would not allow the Mobdro update.  

So, I download the latest version from the Mobdro website to a thumbdive, uninstalled the Mobdro from the Shield, stick the thumbdrive into the  Shield, and attempt to side load using ES Explorer.    Once again the Shield just wouldn't allow it although it  was set to allow side loads. 

I keep trying this and that for 10 minutes with no joy to include clearing data/cache.  I then noticed ES Explorer was now listed in that area and set to Not Allowed.  Now ES Explorer is from Google Play...not a sideload/unknown app and had been on the Shield before the Oreo upgrade...and a few minutes earlier was not listed in that area. 

I thought to myself well, maybe since I had been trying to use ES Explorer to sideload Mobdro that the Shield was treating ES Explorer as a sideload/non-Google Play app also.  I changed the setting the ES Explorer setting to  Allow and then tried to sideload Mobdro again and this time it sideloaded.  I then tried another sideload of SmartYoutube (another non-Google Play app) since Youtube on the Shield works fine and although I didn't follow thru 100% with that sideload it would have allowed the sideload as I got far enough along to know it would.   

I don't know what was going on....but for a while after the Oreo upgrade side loading of apps simply was "not" being allowed.   I just keep trying...did this and that (shooting in dark) and it was like I finally broke the door down to get in.  See 1st snapshot below which shows menu area for the Install Unknown Apps as it stand now....the App Selector apps is actually a System app part of Oreo and not a sideload...and ES Explorer is not a sideload but from Google Play.

And also this morning Shield gave me the notification the batteries in the remote were getting low....the remote uses two CR2032 batteries which are 3V batteries.  OK, maybe it is time to change them although I've had the Shield way less than a year and I was not getting the notification last night.  I first decided to check the batteries with my voltmeter....they checked good....both around 2.96V...still OK from an "unloaded" voltage check standpoint although a branch new CR2032 is suppose to check between 3.0 to 3.4 volts according to my googling up some specs.  By unloaded I mean no load on the batteries as in actual use. 

I put the batteries back in...go check again and now the notification is gone.  And when going into the menu area of the Shield that showed battery level status it now says Full.   Maybe removing and reinserting the batteries did a battery level calibration....reset the battery configuration files the Shield uses.  See 2nd snapshot below.   Although I don't have a before snapshot I do remember yesterday when surfing around the menus the Battery Level was not indicating Full...a Good Level indications...but not too low...and I was not getting an notification like I got last night.   STOP...STOP....went back to check a setting before finishing this post and the Level no longer says Full but Good.  So maybe the batteries are getting close to "needing to be changed as the Shield may use a very conservative/safe voltage level...notifying you to do a battery change well before the batteries actually would not be providing enought voltage"....or maybe it was just an Oreo battery calibration thing.  I'll get two new batteries just to play it safe.

I expect both of these issues are related to the Oreo upgrade...some Shield settings/configuration files somewhat confused after the upgrade.    Kinda like a Windows 10 major upgrade...you just don't know what issues will appear.

Snapshot 1

878774464_ShieldSideloadApps_Capture.JPG.e69317ac7a70ad3b9cc123926ea6e382.JPG

Snapshot 2....after taking out and reinserting the batteries.

154620547_ShieldBatteryLevel_Capture.JPG.02399e1cef4da2ffdc1f01fe7bbe6600.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like Amazon U.S. for Prime Day (now running) is supposed to be having a Lightning (limited time) deal on the Shield and remote for $139 for Amazon Prime members, due to start our local time about 2 am Wednesday morning.

From AFTV News:

"7/16/18 NVIDIA has told me the $139 price for the Shield TV w/ Remote Only will be a Lightning Deal that starts “around noon (PDT)” on July 17th."

"That is $40 off the regular price and will be the new lowest price that it has ever been. The previous lowest it has ever been on Amazon is $149, but it was briefly available for $143 at B&H just before Christmas of last year. The $139 price will be for the bundle that comes with only a remote control and not the game controller."

24 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Looks like Amazon U.S. for Prime Day (now running) is supposed to be having a Lightning (limited time) deal on the Shield and remote for $139 for Amazon Prime members, due to start our local time about 2 am Wednesday morning.

From AFTV News:

"7/16/18 NVIDIA has told me the $139 price for the Shield TV w/ Remote Only will be a Lightning Deal that starts “around noon (PDT)” on July 17th."

"That is $40 off the regular price and will be the new lowest price that it has ever been. The previous lowest it has ever been on Amazon is $149, but it was briefly available for $143 at B&H just before Christmas of last year. The $139 price will be for the bundle that comes with only a remote control and not the game controller."

I don;t see that version of the Shield on Amzon's "Prime Day" specials but I do see the version with Remote & Game Controller for $179.99 plus $44.51 for shipping to Thailand and import fees.  Sounds like a steal even with the shipping & import duty.
https://www.amazon.com/NVIDIA-SHIELD-Streaming-Player-Controller/dp/B01N1NT9Y6/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&psr=PDAY&ie=UTF8&qid=1531817363&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=nvidia+shield

27 minutes ago, suzannegoh said:

I don;t see that version of the Shield on Amzon's "Prime Day" specials but I do see the version with Remote & Game Controller for $179.99 plus $44.51 for shipping to Thailand and import fees.  Sounds like a steal even with the shipping & import duty.
https://www.amazon.com/NVIDIA-SHIELD-Streaming-Player-Controller/dp/B01N1NT9Y6/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&psr=PDAY&ie=UTF8&qid=1531817363&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=nvidia+shield

If you re-read what I wrote above, you'll see I mentioned that particular Shield deal is not supposed to start until about 2 am Wednesday morning Thai time / noon Tues PST in the U.S.  And as I also mentioned, probably a price only offered to Amazon Prime members.

Timewise, we're not there yet.

If one's not already a Prime member is this deal worth it? Have been procrastinating and not bought an ATV box yet. Been looking at the Mi and the Shield. A little concerned that they both are relatively old machines. 

1 hour ago, touch said:

If one's not already a Prime member is this deal worth it? Have been procrastinating and not bought an ATV box yet. Been looking at the Mi and the Shield. A little concerned that they both are relatively old machines. 

I think that you can sign up for a one month trial of Amazon Prime and if you cancel before the month ends you won't get billed for the Prime membership.

1 hour ago, suzannegoh said:

I think that you can sign up for a one month trial of Amazon Prime and if you cancel before the month ends you won't get billed for the Prime membership.

That's right. You can, provided you're not using the same sign-in/account ID that's had a Prime membership before.

Apparently, the Shield is eligible for Amazon Global international delivery, and when I mock it up, it ends up adding about $42 to the price for covering delivery to Thailand plus a customs guarantee.  I don't know if that add-on for international would be reduced or by how much once the sale price takes effect.

But keep in mind, officially, the Thai government sometime back decreed that it's illegal to import streaming TV devices that haven't been licensed in advance by the Thai government/NBTC.  And given that Amazon Global shipments typically use private couriers where customs oversight is, let's say, intense, I'm not sure how that route would fare.

If it were me, I'd look to avoid Amazon Global and the private couriers and instead look for a way to have the box sent from the U.S. to Thailand by USPS or generic airmail, though I realize, not everyone's set up to do that.

301870979_2018-07-1719_54_49.jpg.552f080c594a7ac2d0ef39b55fe31fe2.jpg

I have just order one for $179 +the $42,16 shipping & import fees and payed in pounds 176 I did not know about this Thai government degree so I will be hoping this arrives next week without a problem. If it is stopped by customs it will be Amazon US that will have to sort this out or give me a refund. I will come back on this thread and update you all later. 

2 hours ago, scotsman said:

I have just order one for $179 +the $42,16 shipping & import fees and payed in pounds 176 I did not know about this Thai government degree so I will be hoping this arrives next week without a problem. If it is stopped by customs it will be Amazon US that will have to sort this out or give me a refund. I will come back on this thread and update you all later. 

The Amazon customs policy guarantees that you won't be charged any more in customs duty than what you've paid up front. But, that policy does NOT guarantee that Thai Customs will let the item be delivered period. So if Customs were to impound the box or otherwise try to extort you, I believe you could just contact Amazon and ask for a refund because the delivery of the item never occurred.

I will mention though, in one of the other threads related to this, one member told a story about ordering some goods, getting a call from one of the private couriers demanding some huge, extortionate customs duty, and after some back and forth, the recipient refused to pay and told the courier to keep the relatively expensive packages. A week or two later, the poster said, he found the packages thrown into his yard one day.

I will add, though, that based on member posts here that I've read, it seems very unclear just how seriously Thai Customs is enforcing this supposed import ban. I know people who've had absolutely no problem receiving such items through airmail or USPS sent to ThaiPost.  But the track record with private carriers like DHL and FedEx seems more problematic.

On 4/12/2017 at 11:13 AM, SooKee said:

Further on the NVidia Shield.  I notice that the Shield now displays on Amazon (USA) as CAN be shipped to Thailand.  VERY hefty import deposit to be paid though!!! 3,495 baht if paying with a Thai credit card.  OK if that charge doesn't get levied and you get it back, or at least most of it.  Really REALLY expensive if you don't!!!! 

I bought the Shield from Amazon 6 weeks ago. I paid $179.99 plus $44.50 import fees and VAT. Got it in 5 days via the Global Shipping program. Three weeks later I received a $10. refund for over payment. You can get the Shield now for the same price.

https://www.amazon.com/NVIDIA-SHIELD-Streaming-Player-Controller/dp/B01N1NT9Y6/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1531984086&sr=8-3&keywords=nvidia+shield+tv+2018

I just posted my Amazon Shield experience above. Now my eBay story.

I ordered a SkyStream Two on eBay. This is a high end box like the Shield. I had it shipped via the eBay Global Shipping Program.

This morning I received a call from DHL telling me I need an import license or the box will be sent back to eBay.

I told them I received the Shield that was shipped UPS with no issues.. They couldn't care less.

I called eBay, explained what is going on. They said wait till the last arrival date which is July 26. If DHL has not delivered the package, call eBay and they will issue a full refund.

Let's see what happens...

On 7/17/2018 at 8:04 PM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Apparently, the Shield is eligible for Amazon Global international delivery, and when I mock it up, it ends up adding about $42 to the price for covering delivery to Thailand plus a customs guarantee.  I don't know if that add-on for international would be reduced or by how much once the sale price takes effect.

But keep in mind, officially, the Thai government sometime back decreed that it's illegal to import streaming TV devices that haven't been licensed in advance by the Thai government/NBTC.  And given that Amazon Global shipments typically use private couriers where customs oversight is, let's say, intense, I'm not sure how that route would fare.

If it were me, I'd look to avoid Amazon Global and the private couriers and instead look for a way to have the box sent from the U.S. to Thailand by USPS or generic airmail, though I realize, not everyone's set up to do that.

301870979_2018-07-1719_54_49.jpg.552f080c594a7ac2d0ef39b55fe31fe2.jpg

If you opt for USPS it will cost $29.00 and you are at the mercy of the Thai Post for import fees and VAT as very few packages sneak by these days.

IMO, your better off paying Amazon the $42.00

Archived