Nvidia Shield (2017-?)

SooKee

On 6/27/2018 at 2:34 PM, suzannegoh said:

Why do you want the update?

When Google moves to a new version, the App Developers are required to update their Apps as well. The updated Apps are more stable and run faster. That's why we update...

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 6/27/2018 at 5:07 PM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

This one goes a bit over my head tech-wise... But it seems there's been a lot of discussion in the tech forums about whether the just released MiBox Oreo update and the coming Shield Oreo update will incorporated something from Google called " Project Treble."

From what I have loosely gathered, it seems inclusion of that technology would increase the likelihood of either device getting steady and regular updates in the future from Google -- as opposed to the 1 major OS update and fairly few security updates the MiBox has had during its several year lifespan thus far.

I haven't seen any update on this in the past few days. Does anyone know if "treble" is being incorporated into the Shield or MiBox via the latest Oreo updates?

The following XDA thread has an explanation about this, and includes a list of treble enabled mobile devices, including quite a few from Xiaomi. But I'm not seeing any mention of any Android TVs on that list.

The thread does say "Google requires every Certified Android device launching with Android 8.0 Oreo and above to support Treble."  But I'm not sure if "launching" with 8 is considered the same as being updated to 8 in this case.

https://www.xda-developers.com/list-android-devices-project-treble-support/

Treble is embedded in Android 8 Oreo. The Shield's new update does have it.

I am part of the Shield Beta Program.My Shield has been updated twice in the last 30 days and currently running 7.0.2

36 minutes ago, Jeffrey346 said:

If you opt for USPS it will cost $29.00 and you are at the mercy of the Thai Post for import fees and VAT as very few packages sneak by these days.

IMO, your better off paying Amazon the $42.00

I ship stuff all the time via USPS from the U.S. and almost never pay any customs duty on anything. But I try to keep the declared value per shipment under $50 or so, which gets covered by Customs exemption for small packages.... Obviously, the Shield is beyond that.

It's a risk either way: IMHO, the risk of going Amazon Global with a private courier is that Customs seizes the box as an NBTC unlicensed device and you'll never get it.  The risk going USPS is much less than Customs will seize the device AFAICT, but you might have some duty owed. But I'd almost guarantee it would be less than the Amazon Global deposit amount you'd otherwise pay upfront. Usually with USPS sent packages received by ThaiPost, any electronics duty is typically just 7 percent VAT if any. YMMV.

1 minute ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I ship stuff all the time via USPS from the U.S. and almost never pay any customs duty on anything. But I try to keep the declared value per shipment under $50 or so, which gets covered by Customs exemption for small packages.... Obviously, the Shield is beyond that.

It's a risk either way: IMHO, the risk of going Amazon Global with a private courier is that Customs seizes the box as an NBTC unlicensed device and you'll never get it.  The risk going USPS is much less than Customs will seize the device AFAICT, but you might have some duty owed. Usually with USPS sent packages received by ThaiPost, any electronics duty is typically just 7 percent VAT if any. YMMV.

Yes at $50. most will get through. There is no risk if Customs seizes the device [which they won't, they will just have the carrier return it to the sender] as the Global Shipping Program guarantees delivery.

22 minutes ago, Jeffrey346 said:

Yes at $50. most will get through. There is no risk if Customs seizes the device [which they won't, they will just have the carrier return it to the sender] as the Global Shipping Program guarantees delivery.

Yes, either way, if the Amazon package is not delivered, then a refund is available.

However, on the seizure issue, disagree. There have been reports here on TVF by other members who have tried to import streaming devices lately via private couriers and had them seized by Customs for being unlicensed, and no way for the buyer to actually license them at that point via NBTC.

If I was planning to order and have delivered for import to Thailand a streaming devices these days, I wouldn't send it via a private courier.  Not saying every one would be seized, because that's obviously not the case. But I believe the likelihood is greater when the shipper is a private courier because of their more hands-on Customs interaction.

6 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Yes, either way, if the Amazon package is not delivered, then a refund is available.

However, on the seizure issue, disagree. There have been reports here on TVF by other members who have tried to import streaming devices lately via private couriers and had them seized by Customs for being unlicensed, and no way for the buyer to actually license them at that point via NBTC.

If I was planning to order and have delivered for import to Thailand a streaming devices these days, I wouldn't send it via a private courier.  Not saying every one would be seized, because that's obviously not the case. But I believe the likelihood is greater when the shipper is a private courier because of their more hands-on Customs interaction.

You may be correct.. BUT if Customs seized the box your out the money.  I am guaranteed my money back.

1 hour ago, Jeffrey346 said:

When Google moves to a new version, the App Developers are required to update their Apps as well. The updated Apps are more stable and run faster. That's why we update...

Maye I should have asked "why do you want it immediately" rather than "why do you want it".  What you're saying is a good reason to update eventually but doesn't explain why people were so anxious over the roll-out of the update being delayed by a few weeks.

4 minutes ago, Jeffrey346 said:

You may be correct.. BUT if Customs seized the box your out the money.  I am guaranteed my money back.

Yes, agree. My point and purpose was to talk about what's the best way to ensure a person actually receives the device they have ordered.

In either case, I'm pretty certain the USPS to Thai Post route is going to have no higher, and probably lower, customs fees than the Amazon Global route -- NBTC licensing issues aside.

1 minute ago, suzannegoh said:

Maye I should have asked "why do you want it immediately" rather than "why do you want it".  What you're saying is a good reason to update eventually but doesn't explain why people were so anxious over the roll-out of the update being delayed by a few weeks.

I completely understand your point..  Most peeps want the latest and greatest. That's why they want it sooner than later.

1 minute ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Yes, agree. My point and purpose was to talk about what's the best way to ensure a person actually receives the device they have ordered.

In either case, I'm pretty certain the USPS to Thai Post route is going to have no higher, and probably lower, customs fees than the Amazon Global route -- NBTC licensing issues aside.

Could be, but I rather pay a little more and insure my money.

If someone finds a way to ensure delivery, Please let me know..

7 minutes ago, Jeffrey346 said:

Could be, but I rather pay a little more and insure my money.

If someone finds a way to ensure delivery, Please let me know..

One problem with Amazon Global shipping and Amazon is general is they don't give you any option to choose the particular shipping courier for a particular package--only the generic delivery speed. They decide the shipper, and you don't even know until after the item has shipped, AFAIK.  Might be DHL, might be FedEx, might be UPS... etc etc.  But I don't think they use USPS at all for international shipments.

2 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

One problem with Amazon Global shipping and Amazon is general is they don't give you any option to choose the particular shipping courier for a particular package--only the generic delivery speed. They decide the shipper, and you don't even know until after the item has shipped, AFAIK.  Might be DHL, might be FedEx, might be UPS... etc etc.  But I don't think they use USPS at all for international shipments.

You are probably right. Since my eBay order will go back, I will most likely order from Amazon. I'll call customer service first and ask if I can select the carrier.

Just now, Pib said:

Jeffrey346,

When you ordered from Amazon using their Global Shipping and you got the Shield delivered, what shipper did Amazon use in your case?  DHL, UPS, etc.

UPS and it was delivered in 5 days. I also bought a Panasonic Wet/Dry Electric Razor. They shipped UPS and received in 7 days.

4 hours ago, Jeffrey346 said:

I bought the Shield from Amazon 6 weeks ago. I paid $179.99 plus $44.50 import fees and VAT. Got it in 5 days via the Global Shipping program. Three weeks later I received a $10. refund for over payment. You can get the Shield now for the same price.

https://www.amazon.com/NVIDIA-SHIELD-Streaming-Player-Controller/dp/B01N1NT9Y6/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1531984086&sr=8-3&keywords=nvidia+shield+tv+2018

And I presume, no problem receiving the item successfully via UPS, despite all the NBTC garbage...  If I had known that, I would have been more sanguine about yesterday...

PS -  How you feeling that Amazon had the Shield on sale yesterday for Prime members at $139?   :tongue:   That was the time to buy from Amazon, or failing that, wait until the next Black Friday sale after Thanksgiving.

4 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

And I presume, no problem receiving the item successfully via UPS, despite all the NBTC garbage...

No issue.. UPS shipped it to BKK and handed off to Kerry. It was at my door here in Khon Kaen a total of 5 days later.  I'm talking 5 days from the day Amazon shipped it..

16 hours ago, Jeffrey346 said:

I just posted my Amazon Shield experience above. Now my eBay story.

I ordered a SkyStream Two on eBay. This is a high end box like the Shield. I had it shipped via the eBay Global Shipping Program.

This morning I received a call from DHL telling me I need an import license or the box will be sent back to eBay.

I told them I received the Shield that was shipped UPS with no issues.. They couldn't care less.

I called eBay, explained what is going on. They said wait till the last arrival date which is July 26. If DHL has not delivered the package, call eBay and they will issue a full refund.

Let's see what happens...

Got an email from eBay this morning. They stated that they reviewed Thailand rules and the streaming box I ordered does not require a import license. 

They did not elaborate, but my guess is if Kodi or similar software is not installed the box does not need the import license.

They said a message was sent to the DHL Hub here in Thailand advising them that no license is required and to deliver the package. 

It's going to be interesting to see who wins.. eBay or DHL. I'll keep you informed.  

Just to update you my parcel from Amazon Us was tracking to China yesterday but today the website says delayed in customs I have to wait until later for more delivery details now Jeffrey364 did this happen with your shield? I will check back again later the parcel is due for delivery on Monday.  

OK another update this morning on the website tracking it still said it was delayed in Customs but my phone rang and it was UPS he was out trying to deliver it to me but could not find my house so I gave the phone to my wife to give him directions and I have got my new Nvidia Shield. It is up and running and looks great thanks for the help on this post.

regards 

Scotsman 

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for this question but since my Nvidia shield updated to the latest android and firmware, i can't find anywhere in the menu where to turn off or restart the shield.
How do I turn off or restart the shield without simply disconnecting the power cable?

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

13 minutes ago, jphasia said:

Sorry for this question but since my Nvidia shield updated to the latest android and firmware, i can't find anywhere in the menu where to turn off or restart the shield.
How do I turn off or restart the shield without simply disconnecting the power cable?

Got to "Settings", then "About", and then look for "Power Off" or "Restart" depending upon which one you want to do.

Got to "Settings", then "About", and then look for "Power Off" or "Restart" depending upon which one you want to do.
Got it! Thanks a lot! I have been searching everywhere except in the "about" section.

On 7/31/2018 at 9:50 PM, jphasia said:

Got it! Thanks a lot! I have been searching everywhere except in the "about" section.

You can also do a long press on the back button on the remote which will open up the 'Sleep now' in 'Settings'.  I use Google Assistant and just say "TV Off" which shuts down the TV, sound bar and Shield via CEC.

• 1 month later...

By accident today came across the Nvidia Shield TV remote app (iOS and Android).  Recently released AFAIK.  Works quite well, will doubtless improve.  

Switches with ease between D-Pad style input (as per the small remote), mouse pointer and also easy to call up a keyboard.  Handy to have IMO and I no longer need the air mouse for the very rare occasions I use it. Searching YT and Netflix etc with it definitely easier IMO.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

New Nvidia Shield TV box shows up at FCC

Is Nvidia switching to new Switch processors?

dseifert_170112_1394_A_0003.0.0.jpg

A new Nvidia Shield TV model is on the way, according to a listing at the FCC. The product is referred to as the “NVIDIA Corporation SHIELD Android TV Game Console P3430,” and will likely use the Tegra X1 T210 B01 processor that seems to be in the new Nintendo Switch Lite as well as the updated Switch with longer battery life.

The filing comes after evidence of a new Shield TV variant appeared on the Google Play developer console last month. Not much else is known about what the new model will entail, or when it will be released. But the likely die-shrunk Tegra chip should mean it could be smaller, more power-efficient, or capable of running at higher clock speeds — or possibly some combination of the three.

Read the full story here.

• 2 months later...

Nvidia Shield TV Pro leaked on Amazon with Dolby Vision and even faster performance

A new faster Tegra X1+ processor and a revamped remote

shield.0.jpg

The fan-favorite Nvidia Shield TV streaming box is getting a new refresh soon in the form of the Nvidia Shield TV Pro, which will bring a faster Tegra X1+ processor and a new remote, according to a now-removed Amazon listing that revealed the new product a few days ahead of an apparent October 28th release date, via 9to5Google.

Visually, the Shield TV Pro is identical to the refreshed Shield TV from 2017: same design, same dimensions, same ports, same optional stand. Even the specs are largely the same; there’s still 16GB of flash storage and 3GB of RAM. But Nvidia is making two big changes here: a new Tegra X1+ processor that replaces the standard X1 chip on the old model, which it promises is “up to 25% faster.”

There’s also a new bundled remote control, with an odd triangular design, motion-activated backlit buttons, a built-in remote control locator, and just straight-up more buttons for media control (including a customizable menu button).

As part of the refresh, the new Shield TV Pro also checks off a few more boxes for content: it now supports Dolby Vision HDR and Dolby Digital Plus surround sound, in addition to Dolby Atmos (which the old Shield TV also supported). And the new processor enables what Nvidia is calling “AI Upscaling,” which the company says offers “crisper, clearer, video enhanced to 4K resolution in real-time.”

And like the old Nvidia Shield TV, you’ll still be able to use the Shield TV Pro as a Plex Media Server, a SmartThings hub, a 4K Chromecast device, and control it with both Google Assistant and Amazon Alexa. It’ll also still run Android TV, meaning the same wide variety of apps and games will be available, as will Nvidia’s GeForce Now game streaming service.

According to the Amazon listing, the Nvidia Shield TV Pro will cost $199.99 and will be released on October 28th.

Newegg leaks Nvidia’s brand-new Shield TV streaming... tube

Streaming stick, battery pack, or vape pen?

nvidia.0.jpg

Nvidia can’t be very happy with its online retail partners today. After Amazon leaked every detail about the upcoming Shield TV Pro, Newegg has now spoiled the reveal of a seemingly more mainstream Shield TV that also supports 4K playback with Dolby Vision. 9to5Google managed to save everything before Newegg wised up and removed the listing. Both streaming devices run Google’s Android TV software.

The first thing you’ll notice about this one is definitely the form factor. Whereas the new flagship Shield TV Pro resembles Nvidia’s old model, this device has a completely fresh cylindrical design. It measures 6.5 inches wide and 1.57 inches tall, according to Newegg. Nvidia has found room for HDMI, microSD, a figure-8 power jack, and even Ethernet in there.

specs1.jpg

The 2019 Shield TV is powered by the same X1+ processor as the Pro model, but it comes with half the amount of built-in storage (8GB versus 16GB). Both devices also share the same remote with backlit buttons that illuminate when you pick it up, voice commands, a user-customizable button, IR for TV controls, and a lost remote feature.

The standard Shield TV will support HDR10, Dolby Vision, and Dolby Atmos, so it checks off all of the format support you’d want. I’m guessing Nvidia will try to differentiate the Pro as the choice for home theater enthusiasts who want to plug in their large media collections over USB.

Newegg had the price for the tube-like Shield TV listed as $199 CA, or around $150 US. The Pro is expected to sell for $200, according to Amazon’s earlier listing, which has also since been pulled.

Archived