Nvidia Shield (2017-?)

SooKee

Did anybody get round the licensing issue or know how to procure? I ordered a Shield via Newegg, shipped with Amazon but it's been stopped by customs :( They won't clear without a license. I've called NBTC & they want to know how the power consumption of both wifi bands :S That information isn't online, I've sent NBTC the product manual and will try to get a license if possible. Any help / suggestions would be appreciated. 

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, coasterkid said:

Did anybody get round the licensing issue or know how to procure? I ordered a Shield via Newegg, shipped with Amazon but it's been stopped by customs ???? They won't clear without a license. I've called NBTC & they want to know how the power consumption of both wifi bands :S That information isn't online, I've sent NBTC the product manual and will try to get a license if possible. Any help / suggestions would be appreciated. 

Apologies, shipped via UPS.

13 hours ago, coasterkid said:

Apologies, shipped via UPS.

That was your mistake. Some couple years back, the Thai government imposed a rule requiring that any such imported streaming devices obtain NBTC licenses -- and their process seeks information that a retail buyer would never have any way to obtain prior to actually receiving the device.

The solution is to ship such things to Thailand via a national postal service (for example USPS in the U.S.) instead of via any of the private courier services where the customs procedures are much more rigorous.

On 11/19/2019 at 11:21 PM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

That was your mistake. Some couple years back, the Thai government imposed a rule requiring that any such imported streaming devices obtain NBTC licenses -- and their process seeks information that a retail buyer would never have any way to obtain prior to actually receiving the device.

The solution is to ship such things to Thailand via a national postal service (for example USPS in the U.S.) instead of via any of the private courier services where the customs procedures are much more rigorous.

Thanks. I've found a way round it, providing the power output of the devices WiFi is below NBTC specifications you don't need a license. There is an exemption clause :-

NBTC standard No. NBTC-TS 1035-1562 (as attachment1)

maximum output power (in e.i.r.p =equivalent isotopic radiated power =conduct power+antenna gain)

1. frequendy 2.4-2.5 GHz not more than 100 milliwatts (20 dBm)

2. frequendy 5.150-5.350 GHz not more than 200 milliwatts (20 dBm)

3. frequendy 5.470-5.725 GHz not more than 1000 milliwatts (30 dBm)

4. frequendy 5.725-5.850 GHz not more than 1000 milliwatts (30 dBm)

If all value lower than these regulation that equipment do not need import license ( said in NBTC notification for license exemptions clause 3 (11)(12)(13)(14) as attach 2)

I've tried buying an Nvidia Shield TV twice from Amazon. Amazon guaranteed that they would be able to deliver to Thailand. Not so

First time they sent it with DHL and I had terrible time trying to get them to release it. Ended up having to have it returned to Amazon. Had a discussion with Amazon and they said they'd send another device with USPS. For some reason that didn't happen, they sent it with FedEx and the same thing happened as with DHL.

I'd be very interested in hearing how it works out for you, if you really can use that exception. Could you provide a link to the NBTC regulation ( in English and in Thai ) please.

If it works out for you I'll make another try around Black Friday.

Tia

On 11/22/2019 at 7:31 AM, coasterkid said:

Thanks. I've found a way round it, providing the power output of the devices WiFi is below NBTC specifications you don't need a license. There is an exemption clause :-

NBTC standard No. NBTC-TS 1035-1562 (as attachment1)

maximum output power (in e.i.r.p =equivalent isotopic radiated power =conduct power+antenna gain)

1. frequendy 2.4-2.5 GHz not more than 100 milliwatts (20 dBm)

2. frequendy 5.150-5.350 GHz not more than 200 milliwatts (20 dBm)

3. frequendy 5.470-5.725 GHz not more than 1000 milliwatts (30 dBm)

4. frequendy 5.725-5.850 GHz not more than 1000 milliwatts (30 dBm)

If all value lower than these regulation that equipment do not need import license ( said in NBTC notification for license exemptions clause 3 (11)(12)(13)(14) as attach 2)

If/when you actually are granted some kind of exemption from the NBTC licensing requirement, and your device is delivered by FedEx, DHL or similar from abroad, please do post back here... Because I'm sure a lot of folks would be interested to hear how that went.

Archived