Nvidia Shield (2017-?)

SooKee

Interesting. I am just now on my way back from the Thai Nexus Man where i picked up the Pro model

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

Yeah great option if you live in BKK, saves 1,000 on the Lazada COD price and gives you the chance to check it's a NISB product. They have a 7 day returns warranty on them too, more than you'd likely get if ordering from Amazon, or rather, easier and cheaper to take advantage of being in a Thailand should you need it.

Longer term warranty support I guess is always going to be an issue being here but I'm guessing (hoping) you might get somewhere with Nvidia if the need ever arose. Hopefully I'll not have reason to try and find out.

Posted using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Yeah great option if you live in BKK, saves 1,000 on the Lazada COD price and gives you the chance to check it's a NISB product. They have a 7 day returns warranty on them too, more than you'd likely get if ordering from Amazon, or rather, easier and cheaper to take advantage of being in a Thailand should you need it.

Longer term warranty support I guess is always going to be an issue being here but I'm guessing (hoping) you might get somewhere with Nvidia if the need ever arose. Hopefully I'll not have reason to try and find out.

Posted using Tapatalk

Yes I live in Phuket and work in Myanmar. I am very often in Bangkok. As I had to stop in Bangkok today (going to Yangon this evening), i sent an email to the Thai Nexus Man to pickup the Shield this morning.
By the way, i did not open the box yet. Does it need any batteries for the remote and the controller? I will open it when I arrive in Yangon this evening but i wouldn't be stuck because I miss some batteries...

• Like 1

Yes I live in Phuket and work in Myanmar. I am very often in Bangkok. As I had to stop in Bangkok today (going to Yangon this evening), i sent an email to the Thai Nexus Man to pickup the Shield this morning.
By the way, i did not open the box yet. Does it need any batteries for the remote and the controller? I will open it when I arrive in Yangon this evening but i wouldn't be stuck because I miss some batteries...

No batteries needed. The remote comes with two batteries pre-installed. The game controller is chargeable via the USB Port.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Hmmmm. Trying to quote the USB post here but something seems to be screwed up with the formatting of it. Had it a lot with quotes just lately, especially with Tapatalk, and trying to sort it out on a touch device is such a bitch I just give up.  
Out of interest, what USB storage option are you using? I've been having a read through about all the Nvidia recommended USB thumb drives folks are using but finding they are getting hot and/or getting ejected by the device. Consensus seems to be that, recommended or not, the thumb drives are just not up to getting the activity they get off of a Shield and can't cope. Much as I'd prefer there not to be yet ANOTHER box around I'm thinking of going with something like a small 500GB Seagate Back Up Plus at around 1,600. I've always found them reliable and they're not far off the price of the 128/256 thumb drives anyway. They'd sure be able to take the use they'd get too, being full blown HDDs. I was even looking at a 256 GB SSD in a USB 3 Enclosure but I'm thinking that'd be overkill.

Posted using Tapatalk

Using the 128GB. Yes, its hot to the touch if you pull it out, but working as it should on my setup.
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Daryle said:

Using the 128GB. Yes, its hot to the touch if you pull it out, but working as it should on my setup.

Thanks.  Is it a thumb-drive type or the USB 3 HDD enclosure (connected by cable) type?

ok, I finally managed to take out from the box my Nvidia Shield that I got Sunday in Bangkok yesterday evening as I have been busy. But I am confused.

I already have another android box, a Minix Neo U1 and when I bought it, it was quite straight forward. Connect the box, then enter your google account and then download all the apps you want. Connect an external drive and start to watch your movies.

But yesterday, I unboxed the Nvidia, connect to the TV using the HDMI and put it on. So far so good. After few steps setup (wifi connection, google account...), then it upgrade to 5.1. ok.

Once the upgrade completed, I started to play around with the menu. there was few apps already pre-installed (Netflix, Utube...). I went to Play store to install some others apps but not available. I used the search menu but "not found". I am talking about application such as iflix, ExpressVPN, Google photos... none of them. Do I miss something?

Then I gave up. I am going connect my external drive and watch a movie. My external drive is a Seagate backup 2 TB, NTFS with plenty of movies and series downloaded from torrent. I installed ES file explorer and could see my external drive but no way to open it! After several try, I gave up and disconnect the drive and connect it to my laptop. Then, what a surprise: your drive is not readable, you need to format it!

Did I miss something?

Maybe because the Shield will only access apps in the Play Store that are Android TV compatible.  In cases where the apps are not designed for ATV you will need to side-load their APKs.  I use either Aptoide TV store or bring them in from APK Pure / APK Mirror.  iFlix is one of those apps.  I thought side-loaded apps wouldn't show in the Shield Home Screen but iFlix does. I think it's down to whether they use a fall back or not. 

How is your drive formatted?  Could that be the issue?  What format are the movies in and waht are you using to view the movies?  ES Media Player? I don't use direct drive viewing to be honest, all my local media is stored on a server with some external HDDs, accessed with Plex or from Kodi.In my case I have Plex Server on my attached Mac Mini but I think folks are using Plex Media Server on Shields with external HDDs as the source.

Edited by SooKee
  • Like 1

I think I have already found out how to install those apps. I spent quite a lot of time on internet this morning. I am going to Playstore from my laptop, select the app and click install. Then it ask on which of my compatible devices I want to install it. And on the list, it show my Nvidia Shield. I will check when I am back to my hotel this evening if it has been successfully installed.

As for my drive, it's a Seagate Backup 2Tb formatted  NTFS. I also checked on internet and the Shield accept NTFS and exFat. Anyway, I saw on some forums, people are advising if such problem happen, to re-format the drive, leave it empty, then connect it to the shield and if it's working, load the files. I actually also managed to recover my files this morning and I am moving then now before re-formating the drive.

I am not very experience on such things. just trying to find the solution on internet. Let see if it work tonight

iFlix is an odd one out the bunch.  It's not actually an Android TV app AFAIK so you can't access it from the device itself.  But from the Playstore it will tell you it's compatible and allow you to send it to the Shield?  It also shows up on the Shield Home Screen once installed?  Very odd.  I'm not sure on what basis the Play Store lets you install apps.  Whether it has to be Android TV specific (which iFlix isn't) or whether it uses / needs a fallback to show up?

Not sure if you know about this but I use this app to create fall-backs to all my side-loaded apps so I can carry on using the Shield launcher rather than messing with switching out to TVLauncher etc.:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=news.androidtv.tvapprepo.playstore 

When I was researching the Shield I saw lots of folks suggesting that HDDs be formatted to EXFAT, despite the NTFS support.

• Like 1

Thanks Sookee, that's very helpful. As I said earlier, I am new in this kind of thing and your feedback is appreciate.

As for Iflix, I will see when I am back to my hotel this evening if it has been installed and appeared on the home screen. If not, I will then install the TV app repo.

As for the drive, once all my files have been moved already, I will re-format on Exfat.

Welcome, I'm still doing the crash course myself LOL.  I think you'll find the iFlix App will have installed fine.  But it is one of those dedicated phone / tablet apps designed for touch screen so, as with the U1, you'll need the air-mouse to use it.

I only use the Repo fallback shortcut generator as a last resort but it's great for allowing you to keep the Shield home screen which I actually think is quite good, being a non-partisan home screen like that on the Amazon centric Fire TV.  I've seen reports of folks using other launchers with mixed results but at the moment I need to do more with my life than sitting reading up on these things, just for the sake of aesthetics.  I did try TV Launcher but, while it looks OK, it doesn't seem to stick and pressing the home button takes you back the the Shield Home Screen from where you have to launch the damn thing again.  So I found that using this repo app to generate shortcuts for the 5-6 sideloads I have (Mobdro, UKTV Now, Terrarium, Show Box etc) to be quite good.

• Like 1

Quick update.  I sent a mail to Jeff Bezos's email address at Amazon about the seemingly excessive import deposit being levied when ordering a Shield to ship to Thailand.  The mail was passed to the Executive Customer Relations team.  Got this response today:

"I've received a response from the team investigating this item. It appears the item was listed inappropriately and it has been updated in our system. Please review the updated import costs as they should be much lower now."

Indeed it is!!  Costs now from Amazon:

Shield:                 7,902

Shipping:               961

Import Deposit:    873

Total:                   9,127

Much, MUCH, better.  If you don't get hit for the import deposit (AND get it back) it would be 8,860 baht, 1,130 cheaper than Thai Nexus Man.  If you do have to pay the deposit, 860 cheaper.  The big thing with Amazon though is that you'd get the full warranty from them for 1 year, might be a pain to administer from here but you WOULD have it, vs 7 days with TNM.  Bonus with TNM is you can get one tomorrow.  If your're not in BKK though it would DEFINITELY be better to order from Amazon IMO vs 10,990 delivered by TNM via Lazada.

If I decide to replace my U9 in the bedroom with another one (just for the sake of having the same device and OS in each room) I'd likely order from Amazon, esp with 5-10 days delivery.

17 hours ago, SooKee said:

Welcome, I'm still doing the crash course myself LOL.  I think you'll find the iFlix App will have installed fine.  But it is one of those dedicated phone / tablet apps designed for touch screen so, as with the U1, you'll need the air-mouse to use it.

I only use the Repo fallback shortcut generator as a last resort but it's great for allowing you to keep the Shield home screen which I actually think is quite good, being a non-partisan home screen like that on the Amazon centric Fire TV.  I've seen reports of folks using other launchers with mixed results but at the moment I need to do more with my life than sitting reading up on these things, just for the sake of aesthetics.  I did try TV Launcher but, while it looks OK, it doesn't seem to stick and pressing the home button takes you back the the Shield Home Screen from where you have to launch the damn thing again.  So I found that using this repo app to generate shortcuts for the 5-6 sideloads I have (Mobdro, UKTV Now, Terrarium, Show Box etc) to be quite good.

Well, when I came back from office last night, I found out that the apps that I remotely installed through Playstore from laptop were properly installed in the shield and appeared on the main menu.

I opened them and it work properly. The only problem I have is Iflix because I can't login. It says "wrong password" even after few try and I am sure about the username and password. I tried to login on iflix on my laptop and it work. Maybe something wrong with the network.

As for the external drive, after re-formated on exFat, I tried to connect it again. Not working. it appears on ES Explorer but when I click "open", the message is always "failed to open". Also, when remove it from the Shield and connect it to my laptop, it is not readable anymore. I had to format it again. I am wondering if I should reset to factory the shield?

With iFlix I find it very easy to mistakenly put a space or a wrong character in the password and email address using an Android soft keyboard vs using a phone / tablet or physical keyboard.  IIRC I went to iFlix browser version and changed my password to one easier to input on Android boxes (I stress that's easier to input - not an easy password).  I managed to log in OK after that.  That said, if you're using a hotel network maybe it's that?  I have no end of problems with hotel networks.  Odd that you are even getting an 'incorrect password' response though if it's a network problem.

With the HDD, I really don't think a factory reset will help.  Try another explorer like X-Plore from the app store and see if it sees the drive OK.  Personally I don't like ES at all.  Sounds odd that the drive is not readable by your laptop just because you plugged it in to the Shield?  That shouldn't be happening.  Could the drive be failing? Have you tried maybe a spare USB thumb (or any other drive) to see if that mounts and is readable?  

Edited by SooKee

Picking up from earlier in the thread:

Amazon Prime: DOES work and pick up their Prime (international) service by default and of course it's HD not the max 480 SD that boxes using Android Mobile get.  There was an issue that some reported that those outside of Amazon account countries didn't see the app on their device and couldn't see it.  The work around was to disable location services and set the language to English, then the app showed up.  I had to do that too to get the app to appear on the home screen.  Now it's there though I can re-enable location services and it still plays, so it looks like it just needs to be disabled once to get the app on the screen.

Air-mouse: if you happen to have a Neo A3 that also works.  Unlike the A2 it doesn't hijack the audio (something the A2 Lite doesn't do).  It maybe that Shield software updates have fixed the audio hijack problem with the A2, not sure and don't intend to buy one to try.

6 minutes ago, SooKee said:

Unlike the A2 it doesn't hijack the audio (something the A2 Lite doesn't do).  It maybe that Shield software updates have fixed the audio hijack problem with the A2, not sure and don't intend to buy one to try.

I recall another member talking about this problem with an air mouse, but it wasn't a Minix.

If I remember correctly his problem happened when he plugged in the USB dongle for his mouse... and the audio cut out.

Is that what you are talking about here?

Is it a common (or known) problem and hoe are people getting around it?

I'll do a search on the Forum to try and find the previous topic.

18 minutes ago, Jai Dee said:

I recall another member talking about this problem with an air mouse, but it wasn't a Minix.

If I remember correctly his problem happened when he plugged in the USB dongle for his mouse... and the audio cut out.

Is that what you are talking about here?

Is it a common (or known) problem and hoe are people getting around it?

I'll do a search on the Forum to try and find the previous topic.

It was a problem Minix Neo A2 and I think there were reports of this and other problems with other remotes.  I hadn't searched around on Thai Visa or any other forums:  https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/838029/anybody-using-a-working-airmouse-remote-/

I was only interested in Minix remotes as I had one with the U9 and I was buying another one to keep in the bedroom with a Fire TV, knowing I'd be adding a Shield in time, so I wanted it to be compatible.  The full A2 was a no-no and AFAIK there was no fix.  Again, AFAIK there's no way to use these without their USB dongles as that acts as the remote's receiver.  The thread also contains remotes others are using with varying degrees of success.  As does this one:

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/863256/shield-android-tv/alternative-remote-thread-for-satv/

Can't stress enough how brilliant I find this app to be for creating fallback shortcuts to side loaded apps, making the appear on the home screen and allowing you to keep the default launcher:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=news.androidtv.tvapprepo.playstore

Must admit I'm WELL impressed with the Shield.  So much so I think I'll order another from Amazon and sell off the U9 and Fire TVs.  I just need to check the Shield's wifi performance from the bedroom first.

Edited by SooKee

I found it... it was back in February this year here.

Another member had audio issues with an air mouse (but not on an Nvidia Shield box).

So from your link the Mele F10 Pro disables audio on the Shield as well as the Neo A2?

Strange... I only hear good things about the Minix NEO A2 Lite 2.4GHz wireless AirMouse.

15 minutes ago, Jai Dee said:

I found it... it was back in February this year here.

Another member had audio issues with an air mouse (but not on an Nvidia Shield box).

So from your link the Mele F10 Pro disables audio on the Shield as well as the Neo A2?

Strange... I only hear good things about the Minix NEO A2 Lite 2.4GHz wireless AirMouse.

Hi.  Yup.  But note, the A2 Lite is fine, it's the A2 that messes with audio.  Distinct and different products.  And of course we're talking only about their use with the Shield, not the dozens of other boxes with which both may well work fine.

The A2 sound issue on the Shield may even have been overcome now with Shield OS upgrades, but no pint risking it IMO (at least until someone posts up that  they've tried  the A2 (or tried again) and found that it works), not when you can just get the A3 or A2 Lite.

Edited by SooKee

OK I understand the difference.

But what I don't understand is how some Android set top boxes (including the Shield) have system drivers that allow USB sound adapter redirection to /dev/null.

Off topic I know... but I am curious.

14 minutes ago, Jai Dee said:

OK I understand the difference.

But what I don't understand is how some Android set top boxes (including the Shield) have system drivers that allow USB sound adapter redirection to /dev/null.

Off topic I know... but I am curious.

AFAIK it's simply inserting the USB dongle for the A2 (which is configured to use its mic/audio capabilities) which makes the media hub detect it as an audio device.  The the sound is diverted to the USB audio device, despite the fact that it's input capable only.  Without the ability to control sound over USB (inc. disable output to USB) your'e screwed.

The Minix A3 though is an audio capable remote too and that doesn't have the same problem.  It was the first remote I (mistakenly) plugged in to my Shield.  Maybe Nvidia have done something about it, or maybe Minix did with the remote / dongle design, maybe the were able to differentiate between input and output? That said, while it works as per the A2 Lite on the Shield, the mic on the A3 doesn't work.

As an aside, I find you do have to be really careful when taking out Minix remote dongles.  Be careful to grip the whole thing, both the USB enclosure cover and the part where it butts up to the device / hub once inserted.  I find they come apart way too easy, potentially allowing you to pull the cover off and the innards out (allowing them to drop on the floor or whatever) while leaving the plug still in the device!!  Not good!!

Edited by SooKee

FWIW, my initial findings with the Shield TV:

Pros

• Well packaged
  • Superb build quality
  • East to set up
  • Powerful, fast!
  • Game and Remote controllers included
  • Controls very intuitive
  • Game controller very ergonomic
  • Ability to plug headphones into the remote is brilliant!!
  • Very fast update of OS and remote firmwares
  • Great UI overall, relatively well configurable
  • Android 7 Nougat (picture in picture support / recent apps / better settings navigation)
  • Android TV OS (but see below re one problem)
  • 4K, HDR, 60fps
  • Audio: AAC, WMAPro, AMR, DTS, FLAC, MP3, Ogg Vorbis, PCM, WAV, WMA
  • Video: ASF, AVI, MPEG-4, VC-1, VP8, VP9, WMV9, XviD, DivX, H.263, H.264, H.265, M2TS, MKV, MOV, MPEG-2
  • 3.0 GB RAM!
  • 16GB Storage (additonal adoptable over USB)
  • Good connectivity: USB-A 3.0 (2), Gigabit ethernet, Bluetooth 4.1, IEEE 802.11ac, IEEE 802.3z, HDMI 2.0b w/ HDCP 2.2 and CEC
  • HDMI CEC works!  (can control a sound bar (off / on / volume)
  • Amazon Prime Video (the international service).  Currently the ONLY device that can stream Amazon’s Prime service in HD (vs the SD (480) restricted version on generic (Android Mobile) boxes) at least until, or if, Amazon update the Fire TV
  • Netflix and YouTube HD 
  • iFlix and HooQ compatible
  • Kodi 17.1 compatible, stable and fast!
  • Google Voice Search
  • Can be used with an air-mouse (e.g. Minix Neo A2 Lite or A3) for ‘designed for mobile phones’ side-loaded apps
  • Browser use not bad (with an Air mouse)
  • GeForce Now and Game Stream
  • Now available to ship to many countries world-wide from Amazon without excessive import deposit
  • Works really well with bluetooth headphones such as the Kinivo range.

Cons

• USB ports are very close together, MAY be an issue depending on how wide the plugs are on attached devices
  • Android TV.  The inability to sign in to some apps due to them being TV (view only) optimised is a pain in some cases (in my case - with internet radio apps).
  • Normal remote is usable but basic (but does include volume control!).  Good enough if you're sticking mostly with Android TV optimised apps
  • Side-loaded apps aren’t visible by default on the home screen (this can easily be fixed however with the TV Repo App which creates fall-back icons to your side-loaded apps)
  • Deezer (Android TV version): No background play and no ‘add to playlist’ function (need side-loaded APK).
  • Very limited options for other launchers (TV Launcher, HAL and Square Home Tablet seem to be OK).  I find them more of a hassle to use though
  • Take care when buying USB drives for storage, lots of reports of them running too hot, even some of the NVidia recommended ones.  I'm now using a Samsung BAR.  Seems fine, at the moment!

Other

• Oddly, there’s no way to see the Shield’d MAC address anywhere in its settings so I needed to use another app to see it so I could reserve it an IP address for Plex.
  • Unlike the Neo A2 remote, the A3 (which is also a microphone enabled remote) does work with the Shield without hijacking it’s sound.  Microphone doesn’t work though.  Didn’t try to get it to work as the Shield’s own remotes work so well with voice I don’t need another.
  • Using too many side-loaded apps (designed for phones) will inevitably involve what becomes a REALLY annoying juggling of remotes as various keys / functions don’t always work.  The amount of side-loads you need MIGHT make this an issue.

So far the only thing I dislike about the Shield (and even then it’s only in one respect) is the Android TV OS!  Developers don’t seem to have caught on yet that devices like the Nvidia Shield (hardly a niche product!!) and Xiaomi Mi also use Android TV and that they are capable of interacting with dialogue boxes  Heck, Netflix has an Android TV app, and needs a log in, so why not other apps?  Would be better if other developers designed in the 'sign-in' options which clearly you could only use on a device where you are able to use some kind of input device.  This is actually quite a downside for me. 

Otherwise, I find it’s brilliant, a view that seems to be shared by lots of review sites and the glowing reviews online, such as at Amazon.

Edited by SooKee

23 hours ago, SooKee said:

With iFlix I find it very easy to mistakenly put a space or a wrong character in the password and email address using an Android soft keyboard vs using a phone / tablet or physical keyboard.  IIRC I went to iFlix browser version and changed my password to one easier to input on Android boxes (I stress that's easier to input - not an easy password).  I managed to log in OK after that.  That said, if you're using a hotel network maybe it's that?  I have no end of problems with hotel networks.  Odd that you are even getting an 'incorrect password' response though if it's a network problem.

With the HDD, I really don't think a factory reset will help.  Try another explorer like X-Plore from the app store and see if it sees the drive OK.  Personally I don't like ES at all.  Sounds odd that the drive is not readable by your laptop just because you plugged it in to the Shield?  That shouldn't be happening.  Could the drive be failing? Have you tried maybe a spare USB thumb (or any other drive) to see if that mounts and is readable?  

Well, last night, I followed your advice and tried with a spare USB thumb and it was working! So, it sound that my external drive (Seagate Backup) is not working with the Shield, even I tried on NTFS and Exfat. 

I also installed X Plore and TV app Repo.

As for Iflix, I uninstall it and re-install but I still can't login. I even installed VPN and use a Server in Thailand but still not work.

I will be back to Thailand this Saturday and will try again from there. I will also try others external drives that I have such as Western Digital and see if it work. At home, I have 2 Minix Neo U1 with the Minix Air Mouse A2 lite and will try with it. You definitively need a mouse or such mouse for the shield.

• Like 1

What version of iFlix are you using?  Now I think about it I had a log in problem on one device IIRC, the app was out of date. I'm currently on 2.22.1.4051.  I have the Aptoide TV and Aptoide (mobile) store apps side-loaded too.  The latter does a very good job of version checking and updating, IIRC it was the TV store app that picked up iFlix being out of date.  I also have APK Updater installed and run that occasionally just in case the Aptoide stores have missed anything but I might bin APKU soon as Aptoide (mobile) seems to be more up to date.  I prefer getting apps from Aptoide over APK Pure and APK Mirror too TBH.

With the HDD, not sure what computer you're using but have you tried any diagnostics apps to check for problems?  Might be worth being sure that the device is failing before binning it.  Equally, better to find out that the drive DOES have a problem before you waste any time trying to fix it on the Shield.  Seagate have their own bunch here:  http://knowledge.seagate.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/006153en?language=en_US

The TV Repo app is great.  However, it's actually little more than a link to the browser version though AFAIK and it does the most basic job of creating a fall-back APK (e.g. there is a folder PNG but no banner that makes the shortcut look pretty on the Shield, matching system installed or 'for Android TV' apps).  Most of the time therefore I use the full browser version on a laptop, grabbing the images I want for both the icon (PNG) and banner (jpg) from the web.  Just get the app's full title (e.g. com.deezer.android) from 'show details' in X-Plore under 'Apps', generate the APK, download it and then send it to the Shield via 'Send Anywhere' which is part of Xplore and which has desktop and phone versions.  If you don't use the full version you just get a real basic grey background with an icon vs the the full ATV pretty version using the web.  I also just hit a snag with TV Repo, keeps stopping.  Maybe an app conflict (only thing I can think of is installing Opera over Chrome - which i did because Opera has back-button functionality that Chrome doesn't).  I'll get around to sorting it soon.  Or I might just wait until my next Shield comes, install TV Repo first and see which apk breaks it 5555.  As far as I can see there's no way to configure the repo app to allow you to add a banner to the apk.   For each app that you do this for you will have what appears to be two installs under your settings / apps list, the full app and the much smaller fall-back APK.

Repo APK maker site: http://atvlauncher.trekgonewild.de/index.php

On the subject of explorers I've found that my favourite, Solid Explorer (I have it on my U9)  can also be side-loaded and works well IF you have an air-mouse.  I replaced ES with XPlore on the U9 then replaced Xplore with Solid.  I might keep Xplore around though for the 'Send Anywhere' transfer, at least until I can figure out if Solid has the same thing or find another way to do it.  Too busy to look now.

Edited by SooKee
  • Like 1

Currently are there any air mouse remotes where it does not interfere with Nvidia Shield TV sound output and can use the microphone on the air mouse?

Past posts seem to say A3 interferes with the Nvidia Shield sounds output. The A2 lite does not interfere with sound output but has no microphone. 

Any suggestions on an air mouse where sound outputs works and can use a mic?

Thanks in advance

I'm not aware of any non-Nvidia remotes where the mic works.

The A2 Lite and A3 work and do not interfere with sound but the A3 mic does not work.

The A2 does interfere with Shield sound UNLESS Nvidia has changed something.  Not worth risking IMO.

• Like 1

On 4/27/2017 at 11:01 AM, SooKee said:

What version of iFlix are you using?  Now I think about it I had a log in problem on one device IIRC, the app was out of date. I'm currently on 2.22.1.4051.  I have the Aptoide TV and Aptoide (mobile) store apps side-loaded too.  The latter does a very good job of version checking and updating, IIRC it was the TV store app that picked up iFlix being out of date.  I also have APK Updater installed and run that occasionally just in case the Aptoide stores have missed anything but I might bin APKU soon as Aptoide (mobile) seems to be more up to date.  I prefer getting apps from Aptoide over APK Pure and APK Mirror too TBH.

With the HDD, not sure what computer you're using but have you tried any diagnostics apps to check for problems?  Might be worth being sure that the device is failing before binning it.  Equally, better to find out that the drive DOES have a problem before you waste any time trying to fix it on the Shield.  Seagate have their own bunch here:  http://knowledge.seagate.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/006153en?language=en_US

The TV Repo app is great.  However, it's actually little more than a link to the browser version though AFAIK and it does the most basic job of creating a fall-back APK (e.g. there is a folder PNG but no banner that makes the shortcut look pretty on the Shield, matching system installed or 'for Android TV' apps).  Most of the time therefore I use the full browser version on a laptop, grabbing the images I want for both the icon (PNG) and banner (jpg) from the web.  Just get the app's full title (e.g. com.deezer.android) from 'show details' in X-Plore under 'Apps', generate the APK, download it and then send it to the Shield via 'Send Anywhere' which is part of Xplore and which has desktop and phone versions.  If you don't use the full version you just get a real basic grey background with an icon vs the the full ATV pretty version using the web.  I also just hit a snag with TV Repo, keeps stopping.  Maybe an app conflict (only thing I can think of is installing Opera over Chrome - which i did because Opera has back-button functionality that Chrome doesn't).  I'll get around to sorting it soon.  Or I might just wait until my next Shield comes, install TV Repo first and see which apk breaks it 5555.  As far as I can see there's no way to configure the repo app to allow you to add a banner to the apk.   For each app that you do this for you will have what appears to be two installs under your settings / apps list, the full app and the much smaller fall-back APK.

Repo APK maker site: http://atvlauncher.trekgonewild.de/index.php

On the subject of explorers I've found that my favourite, Solid Explorer (I have it on my U9)  can also be side-loaded and works well IF you have an air-mouse.  I replaced ES with XPlore on the U9 then replaced Xplore with Solid.  I might keep Xplore around though for the 'Send Anywhere' transfer, at least until I can figure out if Solid has the same thing or find another way to do it.  Too busy to look now.

So, I went back home to Phuket last week end and tried to find out about my Shield:

HDD: I tried with a spare HDD (WD 2TB) that I have at home and it was not working too. I then tried with a 2nd spare HDD (also WD 2TB) and then it work immediately. I loaded with some movies and music and no issue at all. Hard to understand.

Iflix: No way, it's not working. Impossible to login. I checked the version of the app and it is the same that you mentioned (2.22.1.4051). It just said that my username or password are incorrect. I contacted the Iflix customer support and they told me that Iflix is not compatible with Android TV yet. They suggested me to use Chromecast instead... I then tried with Chromecast using my mobile phone and it work.

I followed your advice and turn off the location and managed to sign in with Amazon Prime. No issue at all.

As I saw you were mentioning about Plex (which I had no clue about it), I decided to try. I have an old Mac at home that I am not using anymore. I installed Plex Media Server, create an account, and load my media files. It's work very well, I am surprise. I can even open my files from Myanmar.

I played around with the Shield, installed some apps, using sideload as you suggest. So now, I am happy with it so far.

• Like 1