Nvidia Shield (2017-?)

SooKee

Will do, but I'm travelling at the moment so likely to be a while.  That said, I've always powered off (Sleep Now) my Shield before the auto power down has ever cut in, so maybe I've just never come across it.  But is still shouldn't reboot it, should just put it to sleep from where waking should be almost instant and straight into the home screen.

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agreed. Might be that the wake up doesn't go as expected due to the screen saver and so it hangs during wake up followed then by a reboot. I'm with Nvidia Support Tech right now. They are requesting that I do a special procedure. If that solves the problem I'll post the steps to follow here.

Looks like a hardware failure/issue. Nvidia has asked me to return the machine for an exchange. The only thing is that with these guys from TNM it will take 3 weeks as I was told they have no stock and to top it of the Shield is actually not being sold in Thailand through the official channels. What they sell is only import... sight.

Looks like a hardware failure/issue. Nvidia has asked me to return the machine for an exchange. The only thing is that with these guys from TNM it will take 3 weeks as I was told they have no stock and to top it of the Shield is actually not being sold in Thailand through the official channels. What they sell is only import... sight.

That sucks. Hope you get it sorted. It's not sold in Thailand through official channels but you can order it from Amazon now. I'd likely have gone that route if I'd managed to get the import costs sorted in time for me needing the device. While it would still be a pain with posting etc I'm sure Amazon would resolve product problems one way or another. The impression I get with TNM is that they order, sell out, order again so there's no real stock continuity.

Posted using Tapatalk

8 minutes ago, SooKee said:

That sucks. Hope you get it sorted. It's not sold in Thailand through official channels but you can order it from Amazon now. I'd likely have gone that route if I'd managed to get the import costs sorted in time for me needing the device. While it would still be a pain with posting etc I'm sure Amazon would resolve product problems one way or another. The impression I get with TNM is that they order, sell out, order again so there's no real stock continuity.

Posted using Tapatalk

Yeah and they can only be met in front of 7/11 next to their building ONLY after 7 pm... :saai:

• 2 weeks later...

I have some news about the Nvidia Shield TV. I returned it to the Thai Nexus Man who initially said they would replace it but now they are refusing to do so even agains't Nvidia recommendation who advised for a replacement. Good price but very poor service after all.

Apart from that have you been able to test yours?

I have some news about the Nvidia Shield TV. I returned it to the Thai Nexus Man who initially said they would replace it but now they are refusing to do so even agains't Nvidia recommendation who advised for a replacement. Good price but very poor service after all.

Apart from that have you been able to test yours?

If there is indeed a problem with the box itself I'm guessing it's just a duff unit which you could be unfortunate enough to get anywhere. Problem is that here in Thailand the problems of dealing with it are that much greater. TNM I suspect are just a private importer, not an authorised NVidia reseller (of which AFAIK there aren't any in this region), hence the comments I made above about my preference for ordering from Amazon where you'd only have to get the box back to them. Is there any way for you to organise I direct return with Nvidia?

I've not been able to replicate the issue. Just tried. My sleep / wake using the combination works fine and the unit doesn't shut down. Guess you've tried a factory reset?

Posted using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, SooKee said:

If there is indeed a problem with the box itself I'm guessing it's just a duff unit which you could be unfortunate enough to get anywhere. Problem is that here in Thailand the problems of dealing with it are that much greater. TNM I suspect are just a private importer, not an authorised NVidia reseller (of which AFAIK there aren't any in this region), hence the comments I made above about my preference for ordering from Amazon where you'd only have to get the box back to them. Is there any way for you to organise I direct return with Nvidia?

I've not been able to replicate the issue. Just tried. My sleep / wake using the combination works fine and the unit doesn't shut down. Guess you've tried a factory reset?

Yes Thai Nexus Man are not official dealers of Nvidia. That's what they told me, yet they also told me they would take back the machine and arrange for an exchange if there was a problem. Anyway, according to "their" own "scientific" test the machine works fine so they see no reason to return it to Nvidia even with the express written emails from Nvidia themselves asking to return the machine. Rather pathetic.

I have contacted Nvidia and they asked me to all kind of information regarding the machine and the purchase (Serial numbers, reseller name, address and whatnots). I am waiting for their response on the matter as clearly I will have to deal with Nvidia themself since Thai Nexus Man are simply playing it dirty. Yes I did reset the machine at least 3 times and also carried out some funky "re-tuning" process demanded by Nvidia which goes as follows:

-> Unplug all the cables and keep the device off for 2-3 minutes.
-> Plug the Power cable, controller through USB (Wired) and Ethernet cable to the SHIELD TV. Do not connect HDMI cable.
-> The device will power on. Keep it idle for about 5 minutes and keep tapping A button on the controller. Continue tapping for about a few seconds.
-> Now leave the device is this state without the HDMI cable for good 15 to 20 minutes and plug the HDMI cable.
-> See if the SHIELD TV displays any output.
-> Test after this

Well, hope it all works out for you. I don't think TNM are playing dirty in all honesty. It's just a risk you take when buying anything that would be considered a grey import here. That's mostly the reason I steer clear of anything other than Apple or Samsung phones here (and even in the case of the former, purchased from Apple direct online). Otherwise expect it to come with 1 month (if you're lucky) or more likely 7 or even 0 days warranty.

I took a punt with TNM as I needed it quick and I've been lucky (so far!!) to get a device without problems. Now Amazon have revised the previously exorbitant import deposit down from 100% of the purchase price to $50 I'd order from them if I needed another.

Maybe TNM would have taken it back if it was a DOA. Or maybe they've not been able to replicate the fault so as far as they are concerned it's fine. Have you tried getting them to demonstrate that there's no problem?

Posted using Tapatalk

I think they just don't want to pay for the transport fee involved in returning the item to the USA. They would probably be loosing money.

Indeed, as they told me, they haven't been able to replicate the issue explaining they had reset the machine and there was no issue to be found. The problem usually happens after 1 or 2 days of use and I am pretty sure I will see the issue happen again once they return the Shield TV back.

I actually don't need to demonstrate anything to them. I forwarded to them the entire conversation I had with Nvidia so they know exactly what the issue is.

Anyhow I think I might be straying appart from the topic so I will leave it to that on this issue.

20 minutes ago, Polanskiman said:

I think they just don't want to pay for the transport fee involved in returning the item to the USA. They would probably be loosing money.

Indeed, as they told me, they haven't been able to replicate the issue explaining they had reset the machine and there was no issue to be found. The problem usually happens after 1 or 2 days of use and I am pretty sure I will see the issue happen again once they return the Shield TV back.

I actually don't need to demonstrate anything to them. I forwarded to them the entire conversation I had with Nvidia so they know exactly what the issue is.

Anyhow I think I might be straying appart from the topic so I will leave it to that on this issue.

No, I meant getting them (TNM) to demonstrate to you that there's no problem.  But like you say, if the issue surfaces after a few days that might not be feasible. Maybe once it surfaces you could offer to show them.  Not that it would likely help much now.

I'd stress again though, for other readers mainly, ALWAYS best to check the warranty a supplier gives (especially a grey import supplier) here before purchasing (which with TNM IIRC when I bought mine was a perilously short 7 days) because once their warranty coverage expires they're not liable and are not trying to get out of anything, whether we might think morally they should be or not.

Like you say, drifting OT now, but good to include to inform buying decisions.  For me, Amazon all the way since they reduced the import duty deposit to a more reasonable level.

Quick update:

I ordered a second Shield a couple of days ago to replace the Minix U9 in the bedroom.  This time I ordered from Amazon US.

Cost breakdown is:

Shield: $199

Shipping: $26.76

Import Deposit: 23.87

Total: $250.62

Total cost will be 8,429 baht if I get hit for the full import fees, 7,647 if I don't get hit for any and get the deposit back.  Due to ship on 20th with a transit estimate of 5-10 days.

Only thing that bothers me is that NOW, if I try to add another one to the basket and proceed to purchase it says 'This item cannot ship to your address in Thailand', despite actually showing the estimated shipping and import fees when clicking the 'Show details' on the product listing.  I'm wondering if this is a glitch or, whether the originally 'available to ship to Thailand' was a glitch and I'm gonna get a 'Sorry, but.........' email from Amazon and a credit card refund. Will update with any developments. 

For a comparison, I thought I'd see how much from the UK, seeing as Sterling is worthless nowadays.

Item: £158.33
P&P: £19.07
Import fees deposit: £56.48
Total: £233.88 (10,974.62 THB)

8954.38 THB from the US and it says delivery is kushdi. [emoji41]

Sent from my SM-T815Y using Tapatalk

Yeah I checked the UK site ages back. Never bothered as it was 1) more pricey and 2) not for delivery to LOS. It was the same on the US site for ages.

It'll be a bargain (for here anyway) if it arrives and I don't get caught for the import fees. Even with them, it's cheaper than sourcing here. IF it arrives. IF. I still have this feeling that it might be site glitch allowing me to purchase it. That said though, when I queried the import duties ages back they reduced them and didn't come back with a oops sorry it doesn't ship to Thailand. I'll know soon I guess. Oddly, tried again later today to add a Shield to my basket and pay for it and it let me do so.

We'll see [emoji6]

Posted using Tapatalk

At least we WOULD have seen except, until the position is clearer on the NBTC announcement from May, I've decided to cancel the order for the time being.  I think I would have been OK but I'm not prepared to be a guinea pig of the new NBTC regulation and find officials coming to the house along with the new Shield to lock me up as a media box importer.  Just not worth the risk.

One would THINK (hope?) that the NBTC are targeting businesses doing this when they talk about 'possess for installation' (as one might expect an IPTV company to do) BUT it's not clear.  And I'd rather not put myself in a position of some official (given how even long established regulations are open to interpretation by different offices or even different officials within offices) or indeed a court pondering whether a personal use import was reasonable or not or whether the NBTC didn't intend to target individual purchases.  Does sound a bit like one of those typically ill-thought out knee-jerk reaction responses that may well just wither and die or may be subject of a re-write / re-think.  I know there's a view out there as to whether the NBTC announcement has even gone through the correct due process to become law, whether it has become law, what authority it was issued under or if it will ever be enforced.  I'd rather err on the side of caution for now and ponder it theoretically than whilst on bail facing 2 years!  Until it's clearer, unless I need it desperately (in which case I may even pay TNM the premium for them taking the import risk), I'll wait for some real life examples or an update from the NBTC.

I did think that I might be able get round any issue by pointing out the gaming bias of the device, but I notice that the term 'media player' is there in the regulation (as it is in the Amazon description of the device - and likely will be on the customs declaration sticker) as is even the Apple TV.  Wouldn't surprise me though if the legit devices and sellers, like Apple have their licences already, I know the Apple TV 4 was waiting a long time in Thailand to get the required certification but that might be something different. What would be interesting is how it relates to individual (personal use) importers.

I emailed the NBTC yesterday.  They mailed back and said that a one-off personal use import (e.g. purchase from Amazon) WOULD require an import licence from them.  The licence application is attached.  For the sake of an extra 1-2,000 baht I'd probably stick with TNM, if indeed they continue to import / sell them.  Interesting how this might be interpreted by customs officials at airports though!

NBTC License.pdf

• 2 months later...

Shield TV - Shield Experience 6 (remote response lag)

For users of the Shield TV, you will have probably noticed that Shield Experience v6 (firmware / UI) is now available and as Nvidia places the information front and centre as soon as you power on / wake the device from sleep, you will have probably updated already.  A number of users have reported that subsequent to this update their remotes (which on the Shield are Bluetooth) have become slow to respond to button presses at times.  I have the problem and it's very noticeable particularly once the remote has gone in to sleep mode after not being used for a while.

Nvidia are aware of the problem and are working on a further update to address the issue which will be pushed to users registering with Nvidia that they have the problem prior to it being incorporated into a pushed update to (I guess) Shield Experience 6.0 for all users.  More information (including details of how to register for the preliminary beta update) here:

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/1025688/shield-tv/remote-lag-after-shield-experience-6-update/2/

The new FireTV box is out and for 70 quid looks like good value. I might get my sister to send one over at some point.

The only negative I have regarding the FireTV 2 is that you cannot disable the screen-off after half an hour or so of 'inactivity' (listening to music, primarily). Hopefully, v3 fixes this flaw.

Sent from my R2D2 droid using my C3P0 manservant

On 10/6/2017 at 8:46 AM, SooKee said:

Shield TV - Shield Experience 6 (remote response lag)

For users of the Shield TV, you will have probably noticed that Shield Experience v6 (firmware / UI) is now available and as Nvidia places the information front and centre as soon as you power on / wake the device from sleep, you will have probably updated already.  A number of users have reported that subsequent to this update their remotes (which on the Shield are Bluetooth) have become slow to respond to button presses at times.  I have the problem and it's very noticeable particularly once the remote has gone in to sleep mode after not being used for a while.

Nvidia are aware of the problem and are working on a further update to address the issue which will be pushed to users registering with Nvidia that they have the problem prior to it being incorporated into a pushed update to (I guess) Shield Experience 6.0 for all users.  More information (including details of how to register for the preliminary beta update) here:

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/1025688/shield-tv/remote-lag-after-shield-experience-6-update/2/

This is the reason why I never update any device once updates are out. I usually wait a few weeks. I still haven't updated mine and that full screen update "in your face" each time you wake up the device is annoying like hell.

The new FireTV box is out and for 70 quid looks like good value. I might get my sister to send one over at some point. The only negative I have regarding the FireTV 2 is that you cannot disable the screen-off after half an hour or so of 'inactivity' (listening to music, primarily). Hopefully, v3 fixes this flaw. Sent from my R2D2 droid using my C3P0 manservant 

Looks good. Not sure if you use Kodi but there's talk on the Kodi forums over it not being sure if Amazon will lock down the FTV 3 from being able to side-load it.      

I have a FTV2 in the bedroom and this has replaced the Minix U9 I had there. Main problem with the U9 for me is no Netflix HD (in fact it's getting harder to get any Netflix at all on these generic Android boxes since they started restricting the app install to Google Certified devices) and now that more of the apps I use are being made ATV compatible I'd far sooner use them than the regular Android mobile versions. I find I actually use an air-mouse much less with the Shield and the FTV than I did with the U9. Problem for me with the Fire is I can't stand the in your face Amazon home screen. I also don't like that the remote has no volume control. So I've just ordered a Xiaomi Mi to try. Will do all that the Fire can, have the regular Google ATV store and will have have the ATV GUI without me feeling like I have to battle with Amazon each time. From what I've read the remote and WiFi is very good and the remote also has the volume buttons. Will see how it goes. If all goes well I'll likely keep the FTV as a spare (and to see if Amazon ever get round to updating them so they can be used for their international video service) and maybe sell the U9 and A3 remote.

Sent using Tapatalk

There's a handy little accessory for the Amazon Fire TV boxes and sticks called a Sideclick. Costs about $30. Simply snaps onto the existing Fire TV remote, and adds the ability to basically replace your TV remote with programmable buttons that can control TV on-off, volume up-down, channel up-down, switch imput channel, etc etc.

I finally got one a month or so back, and I'm loving it. Really easy to program just by pointing the Sideclick head to head with your TV remote and pressing the key on your TV remote that you want to capture and assign on the Sideclick. Pretty much don't need or use my TV remote any more. And no more hassles with having to fish out the TV remote just to adjust the TV volume, etc etc.

https://www.sideclickremotes.com/collections/amazon-fire-tv-streaming-accessories/products/sideclick-universal-remote-control-attachment-for-amazon-fire-tv-streaming-device

59e4918299995_2017-10-1618_00_53.jpg.eb59227ae84bd056b537b51dbc8a78ee.jpg

Hmm. Interesting, if not perhaps too elegant. Might be an idea to post this in the Fire TV thread (s), might get missed here. Think I'd rather Amazon did a single fully buttoned remote but I guess this bolt on is better than not having it. Other than turning the TV on though I rarely use the TV remote at all and this seems geared towards the TV.

I'm actually awaiting a Mi box to try in place of the Fire TV so will see how it goes. Got tired of the Amazon UI and, using CEC, the Mi remote I'm hoping will be able to on / off the TV and it also has the volume control.

It'll be interesting to see, when the Apple TV gets the Prime app whether it'll be capable of accessing the international content (as per the Shield app). Hopefully it won't work the same as it does on the Fire TV. If it can access the international content I might pull my ATV 4 out and use it beside the Mi. The Shield of course gets the lot. That said, once I've burned through Start up 2nd season I think it'll be time to pull the plug on Prime. At least until I've watched all I'm interested in on Netflix and iflix, and that'll be a long way off

Sent using Tapatalk

On 10/6/2017 at 9:46 AM, SooKee said:

For users of the Shield TV, you will have probably noticed that Shield Experience v6 (firmware / UI) is now available and as Nvidia places the information front and centre as soon as you power on / wake the device from sleep....

Have not updated from 5.2 and no plans to either....last thing I wanna do is talk to a box.

Is there any way to delete this update completely so it doesn't keep appearing.....so annoying.

2 hours ago, SooKee said:

Hmm. Interesting, if not perhaps too elegant. Might be an idea to post this in the Fire TV thread (s), might get missed here. Think I'd rather Amazon did a single fully buttoned remote but I guess this bolt on is better than not having it. Other than turning the TV on though I rarely use the TV remote at all and this seems geared towards the TV.

I'm actually awaiting a Mi box to try in place of the Fire TV so will see how it goes. Got tired of the Amazon UI and, using CEC, the Mi remote I'm hoping will be able to on / off the TV and it also has the volume control.

I mentioned the Sideclick for Amazon Fire TV remotes, because you specifically mentioned (and correctly so) that the Fire TV remotes lack built-in volume controls. The Sideclick solves that problem, among adding other conveniences.

I have both a U.S. version Mi Box and a Fire TV Box 2nd gen, and I use the Fire TV probably 95% of the time and the Mi Box 5% of the time, mainly because the Fire TV's app store is far better stocked than the paltry Android TV app store that Google has put together. Unfortunately, Google seems to be letting the Android TV ecosystem die on the vine, while it moves on to home automation, etc. I don't think I've found one new app that I wanted to add to my Mi Box in the Google ATV store ever since I originally set up the device almost a year ago now.

In contrast, the Amazon Fire TV ecosystem is thriving and growing, new apps added all the time, and existing ones regularly updated. And Amazon is continuing to add new functionality to the Fire TVs via the Alexa platform. And, pretty much any Android app that I want that I can't get directly for the Fire TV is pretty easy to sideload just by copying/moving it from a phone or tablet to the Fire TV using the ES File Explorer app.

11 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I mentioned the Sideclick for Amazon Fire TV remotes, because you specifically mentioned (and correctly so) that the Fire TV remotes lack built-in volume controls. The Sideclick solves that problem, among adding other conveniences.

I have both a U.S. version Mi Box and a Fire TV Box 2nd gen, and I use the Fire TV probably 95% of the time and the Mi Box 5% of the time, mainly because the Fire TV's app store is far better stocked than the paltry Android TV app store that Google has put together. Unfortunately, Google seems to be letting the Android TV ecosystem die on the vine, while it moves on to home automation, etc. I don't think I've found one new app that I wanted to add to my Mi Box in the Google ATV store ever since I originally set up the device almost a year ago now.

In contrast, the Amazon Fire TV ecosystem is thriving and growing, new apps added all the time, and existing ones regularly updated. And Amazon is continuing to add new functionality to the Fire TVs via the Alexa platform. And, pretty much any Android app that I want that I can't get directly for the Fire TV is pretty easy to sideload just by copying/moving it from a phone or tablet to the Fire TV using the ES File Explorer app.

I guess thats where our usage differs, by and large, apart from the services I actually bought these boxes for (Netflix, iFlix, HooQ, Kodi, Plex, YouTube and Spotify) I have zero interest in any other apps at all, I've also not found anything on the Amazon Store that I want to download that I can't find on the Android TV store, in fact quite the contrary, for instance, no HooQ on the Fire TV.  Not only is it not on the store it can't be side loaded either as it required Google Play Services to work, Fire TV doesn't have it.  As with the Shield I will also look forward to the Mi box having a remote with built in volume control, running proper Android TV and Google Services (as opposed Amazon's take on it), being absent the Amazon in yer face UI. I also look forward to having apps like Kodi and iFlix being automatically updated from the Google Store vs having to use something like APK Updater or Aptoide to monitor and download.  One thing I do sometimes use is a browser which is a god awful experience on the FTV with the intrusive pop-up keyboard that can't be dismissed, even getting a browser (that works in a non painful way) is an achievement.  Another missing function is no Google Cast built on on the FTV.  Another niggle for me is that you can't set the region time correctly on the FTV.

I'm not sure where your comments about ATV 'dying on the vine' come from, in fact Google only announced ATV 2 update in May which will be coming to the Shield soon, likely when when Nvidia releases the update to Android 8 Oreo and will eventually hit all official ATV devices.  With the growing number of Tv manufacturers adding some form of Android TV functionality to their products the UI is growing, not 'dying on the vine, evidenced also by the growing number of apps converting to the ATV format either with stand-alone ATV APKs or by smart install APKs that configure to the ATV format automatically if installed on an device using the TV format.  

One thing I am satisfied with that is that the Shield blows them all out the water.  At the moment I use the Shield for 99% of my viewing, the FTV resides in the bedroom where it replaced the U9 I used to use, binned that as I decided I really detested the Android Mobile (phone / tablet) UI on a TV and the need to use an air-mouse with 'designed for touch screen' apps rather than proper Android TV apps, even Kodi has now become ATV friendly with K17 and will be even more so with K18 which will add voice search which will work with Google's global search in the way that SPMC does now.  Other aspects of voice control I find better to, I just tell the Shield to 'Off TV' and it turns both the Shield and the TV off.  Or tell it to open Plex (or whatever) from sleeping and it wakes up the device, the TV, opens Plex and will play what I tell it to.  I will try the Mi in the bedroom and if it doesn't work out it'll be due to the box's technical capability, not UI preference.  I can use the Fire TV, I just don't really enjoy doing so.  In fact, if the Mi doesn't work out, the 16GB Shield in the living room will be replaced with a Pro and the 16GB will go to the bedroom, overkill for what I actually need though, if the Mi is up to the task.

14 hours ago, JHolmesJr said:

Have not updated from 5.2 and no plans to either....last thing I wanna do is talk to a box.

Is there any way to delete this update completely so it doesn't keep appearing.....so annoying.

As far as I know, no.  I actually find the additional voice control quite useful, especially when watching TV and and the phone rings, just tell it to pause, no need to reach for a remote, or sound up / down, or turn on / off TV.  Also adds the ability to turn on / off the TV simultaneously when using CEC on / off (to power on / off a sound bar and adjust its volume as I do), updated Prime video playback engine and other enhancements.  Also useful for telling it to play X band on Spotify or whatever movie in Plex, no need to touch a remote. 

Of course, you don't have to use voice control if you don't want to, in fact, technically it's only for use in the USA but will work if you select keyboard English US.  It will also return results from global voice search in Plex and SPMC too and with the release of Kodi 18, will work in that app too.  I actually use Kodi more than Plex now as my local media player.

On 20/07/2017 at 9:56 AM, SooKee said:

I emailed the NBTC yesterday.  They mailed back and said that a one-off personal use import (e.g. purchase from Amazon) WOULD require an import licence from them.  The licence application is attached.  For the sake of an extra 1-2,000 baht I'd probably stick with TNM, if indeed they continue to import / sell them.  Interesting how this might be interpreted by customs officials at airports though!

NBTC License.pdf

Not entirely sure whether much (or even any) notice is being taken of this announcement which seems to me to be one of those 'let's make it look like we're doing something' knee-jerk announcements.  I guess it might be an angle for the authorities to use against businesses that set up supplying these boxes alongside their IPTV services but not aware of it being used against individuals who buy from overseas or bring boxes in.  Nothing in the news about it and, looking on Lazada (where a lot of the boxes for sale come from overseas vendors), plenty of reviews over recent months from folks buying the boxes who have presumably received them without hitch.

7 hours ago, SooKee said:

As far as I know, no.  I actually find the additional voice control quite useful, especially when watching TV and and the phone rings, just tell it to pause, no need to reach for a remote, or sound up / down, or turn on / off TV.  Also adds the ability to turn on / off the TV simultaneously when using CEC on / off (to power on / off a sound bar and adjust its volume as I do), updated Prime video playback engine and other enhancements.  Also useful for telling it to play X band on Spotify or whatever movie in Plex, no need to touch a remote. 

Of course, you don't have to use voice control if you don't want to, in fact, technically it's only for use in the USA but will work if you select keyboard English US.  It will also return results from global voice search in Plex and SPMC too and with the release of Kodi 18, will work in that app too.  I actually use Kodi more than Plex now as my local media player.

It's good that you like it but I am just very wary of stuff like this...if it can hear my commands, then it can pick up anything being said in the room. And since Im ex-SAS, there is a lot of sensitive stuff always being discussed....so no voice control for me hehe.

23 minutes ago, JHolmesJr said:

It's good that you like it but I am just very wary of stuff like this...if it can hear my commands, then it can pick up anything being said in the room. And since Im ex-SAS, there is a lot of sensitive stuff always being discussed....so no voice control for me hehe.

There are two (three really) elements to Google Assistant:

1) Global Voice Search:  This is triggered only by using the mic button on the remote or controller. There is no passive listening at all. With this you interact directly with the Shield and only the Shield will respond (e.g. if you have other Google Home devices or a phone with Google Assistant).

2) OK Google: Where, when the device is on, the Gamepad will be listening for the 'OK Google' command which will trigger the voice search listening and recording of commands to send to the servers.  The point is though, it's not an eavesdropping device, it's only awaiting the OK Google phrase which triggers it.  Also, if you have an Android phone with GA the Shield will respond to demands that it can respond to (and, see below, somewhat annoyingly, to demands that it can't).

3) Always ON:  Same as 2 but the remote continues to listen for the trigger phrase even when the device is off.  It's in beta at the moment.

It's easy to disable both OK Google and Always Listening (which is off by default).

I switch between 1 and 2 at the moment and am erring towards 1.  The problem for me is that I have an Android phone as well, also with Google Assistant and, as has been commented on elsewhere, Google needs to come up with a way to differentiate between devices.  As it is OK Google can trigger either device OR might trigger the phone but try to give a response on the Shield when you specifically want a phone based interaction.  It needs revisiting and hasn't been well thought through IMO.  E.g. you say to your phone (when OK Google is enabled on the Shield) "set an alarm for 7am" and the Shield responds and says "Sorry I can't do that".  Huh!!!  I wasn't talking to you!!!  It's apparently being looked at.  I'd prefer a system where you said "hey phone" or "hey Shield" and it responds with an action from the device accordingly.

Archived