Nvidia Shield (2017-?)

SooKee

20 minutes ago, Pib said:

It just shouldn't be this hard to get "all" Android boxes to reliably stream Youtube, but it sure seems Youtube and some devices simply don't get along.   And I don't know who to blame....the Google programmers who make/update the Youtube app or the Android box manufacturers.   Probably blame on both sides.

Well, it's a Google produced app running on a Google produced OS to play Google hosted content on a Google-run video site.  What could possibly go wrong?  :sleep:

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Getting back on topic (Nvidia Shield TV), even if only briefly, I just tried out an MX3 air mouse with the Shield that many on the Nvidia Shield forums seem to be quite happy with.  I have a Minix A2 Lite which is a superb remote but I leave that plugged into the AIS Playbox (which is supplied with a god awful remote) as I very rarely need an air-mouse on the Shield as the Shield remote does all I need 99% of the time.  However, when I do need the pointer it's a pain to keep unplugging the USB dongle from the Playbox.  I ordered the MX3 as it was cheap (300 baht) vs the Minix A2 Lite at around 900.

Anyway.  Tried it in the Shield and in short I think it's crap.  It's OK I guess, except for the fact that, unlike the A2 Lite, the back button doesn't work at all so backing up levels within apps can't be done.  Might be fixable with some kind of key mapper I guess but the Minix A2 Lite works without any such modifications.  The main thing with it though, compared to the A2 Lite, is the ergonomics which are awful, it's a bit too wide, shiny and thin and feels like it's always about to slip out of your hand.  It's also not comfortable to hold.  One bonus that it does have, at least here in LOS, is that it's supplied with English and Thai keyboards, but our course you'd have to be changing the device input language to switch.

As it is, I've actually left it in the Shield, like I say I only need the pointer and even that only rarely (the supplied Shield remote does all I need, even in Kodi) so it does the job, but if you needed full functionality I wouldn't recommend one of these at all.  Cheap it is, good it's not.  Get a Minix A2 Lite instead.  If I ever ditch the Playbox I guess I'll plug the A2 into the Shield and move the MX3 to the Mi Box in the bedroom.

Further update with a couple positives regarding the MX3 remote with the Shield.  Firstly, the power button on this remote, unlike others (inc the Minix A2 Lite where the power button still uses IR commands to Minix boxes), can both sleep and wake the Shield and the Shield's CEC still powers on / off its attached devices.  Secondly the Mute button on the remote works.

As for the Back button, as expected, within Kodi it can be programmed to work correctly using the Keymap Editor add-on but, regardless of what you do, the Back button will not work with the likes of Netflix and iFlix.

1 hour ago, SooKee said:

FYI: My Shield just updated to Shield Experience 7 with Android 8 (Oreo) ☺️

Interesting.  Turned my Shield on and even did a System Update check a couple of times....no joy.  I'll leave it turned on for a while....maybe it will talk to the mothership after being left turned on for a while and then the update will flow to it over coming days.

Partial quote of a 23 May 18 article from the Nvidia website....it talks the Experience 7.0 upgrade release... but doesn't mention Android 8.  Of course it been rumored for months Nvidia had Oreo ready to go but was holding back until so apps gained Oreo compatibility.

https://shield.nvidia.com/blog/shield-android-update-May2018

Your SHIELD TV is getting a major upgrade. SHIELD Experience Upgrade 7.0 introduces a brand new home screen that, for the first time ever on a media streaming device, brings your favorite TV shows, movies, music, games and apps to a single screen.

The update push talks about Oreo 8 but once installed your Shield will be at Shield Android TV 7.  It's a bizarre Nvidia labelling thing, Shield Experience Android TV 7 is the Nvidia wrapped Oreo 8.  Android Oreo 8 will go out to regular phones and devices who's OS is not wrapped by the manufacturer (such as Nvidia and Amazon with their fork of Android).  You will not get /see Android 8 on your Shield per se because it runs Nvidia Shield Android TV but check under About and Version and you will indeed see v8.0.0.

To ease confusion, they'd have been better calling it STVE 8.

https://www.slashgear.com/nvidia-shield-tv-users-get-oreo-and-v7-0-update-24531866/

Sent using Tapatalk

Yea, I checked....it still has Experience 6.3 and Android TV 7.0.   Did another update check at 4:42pm today...no joy  

I fully expect my Shield will receive the update in the near future....I expect it's in Nvidia's update queue working its way to the front of the line.     

Oh...that probably explains it.  Maybe it has been officially released to everyone but the beta testers are in the front of the queue line.  Or maybe it's still only for the beta program folks.   I did another update check at 7:50pm....still no joy.

The coverage I'm seeing says it's a general, all users update -- not just a beta for beta users. The media reports say rolling out over the coming several days.

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2018/5/24/17391390/nvidia-shield-android-oreo-8-update-new-interface

https://www.androidpolice.com/2018/05/24/nvidia-shield-tv-oreo-update-starts-rolling-today/

https://www.androidauthority.com/nvidia-shield-tv-oreo-869211/

Yes, I just saw below 24 May article talking the same as above links....below link indicates the folks in the Shield Preview Program (maybe that's the beta testers) seem to be getting it first, with everyone else getting it over the next few weeks.  Full article at the link with a partial quote below:

https://www.neowin.net/news/nvidia-starts-rolling-out-the-android-oreo-update-to-shield-tv

Nvidia says the upgrade will be released gradually over the next few weeks, although users who wish to get an early pass can join the SHIELD Preview Program.

Yes, I just saw below 24 May article talking the same as above links....below link indicates the folks in the Shield Preview Program (maybe that's the beta testers) seem to be getting it first, with everyone else getting it over the next few weeks.  Full article at the link with a partial quote below:

https://www.neowin.net/news/nvidia-starts-rolling-out-the-android-oreo-update-to-shield-tv
Nvidia says the upgrade will be released gradually over the next few weeks, although users who wish to get an early pass can join the SHIELD Preview Program.

Yup. That's what they call the beta program group.

Sent using Tapatalk

Changes with the latest update (from Nvidia):

Our latest SHIELD Experience Upgrade delivers the biggest upgrade yet for the SHIELD home screen. All your entertainment is now in one place with Android 8.0 Oreo. Live TV, video-on-demand, streaming media, and games - it’s all there and it’s easily customizable.

1) Your Favorite Apps: You choose the apps and the order! Hold the Select button on an app to move it. To access all your apps, hold the Home button or select the red Apps icon.

2) Play Next: Continue where you left off in TV shows, movies, and games. To add content to Play Next, navigate to the content and hold the Select button. Note: Not all apps support Play Next.

3) Channels: Discover new entertainment from your favorite apps. You choose the channels and the order. Navigate left on a channel to move or remove it. Note: Not all apps support Channels.

Additional Enhancements & Improvements:

• Grow your media library on PLEX without worrying about SHIELD’s internal storage space. Your server’s app data (metadata, background art, and more) can now be moved to USB storage devices. From the PLEX app, go to Settings > Plex Media Server > Storage Location.
  • Improved support for game controllers:
  • Customize SHIELD controller thumbstick dead zones (Settings-> Apps-> Input viewer)
  • Xbox 360 and DualShock 4 v2 controllers
    DualShock 4 controllers using USB wireless adapter
    Resolves pairing issues with Xbox One controllers after system restart
  • Quick access to Settings when you’re on the home screen by holding the Back button
  • The latest monthly Android security updates
  • Support for high polling rate gaming mice for NVIDIA GameStream
  • Ability to connect to Wi-Fi without disconnecting Ethernet (Settings-> Network-> Ethernet)
  • Option to re-pair disconnected Bluetooth accessories (Settings-> Accessories)
  • Option to keep SHIELD awake when switching TV input (Settings-> Display & sound-> Power control)
  • Option to disable input switch to SHIELD when activating a SHIELD accessory (Settings-> Display & sound-> Power control)
  • Resolves issue where captive portal had difficulty connecting over SSL enabled web portals
  • Adds additional IR codes for Coocaa, LeTV, and Xiaomi living room products
  • Correctly removes app OBB files from adopted storage when apps are uninstalled
  • Fixes issue during IR setup where some LG TVs are not identified correctly
  • Adds warning for slow storage devices when trying to adopt storage
  • Resolves issue where newly attached storage shows incorrect capacity until reboot
  • Improved connection reliability to NAS
  • Fixes issue on SHIELD Remote (rechargable) where headset would only work when USB connected to SHIELD
  • Improved color space conversion such as from Rec. 709 or sRGB source content to Rec. 2020 
  • Resolves instances of temporary missing audio immediately after wake or extended idle periods
  • Improves RS (right stick) mouse compatibility with sideloaded apps
  • Optimizes internal drive after SHIELD Upgrades to improve performance (SHIELD TV Pro only)
  • General stability fixes on SHIELD remote (2017) and SHIELD controller (2017)
  • Latest accessory firmware versions:
  • SHIELD controller (2017): v1.24
    SHIELD controller (2015): v1.96/99/3.71/0.32
    SHIELD remote (2017): v1.33
    SHIELD remote (rechargeable): v.1.30

Checking the Preview Program section of their forums reveals that it was released to Preview Program members first (from 23/5/18) and the general release came a few days later, the auto update queues are prioritising Preview Program members so they will be most likely to get it first.  It will come soon enough.

Further digging around in the Nvidia Preview Programme forums and it is clear that SETV7 is a staged roll out over several weeks and Preview Program members will get the update before anyone else.  It seems the numerous 'tech news' sites that have reported this update weren't aware of that fact and / or couldn't be bothered to check.  So if you're not a Preview Program member the update could be a while coming, so I'd go with what Nvidia says about this update rather than the dozens of second hand news websites.

I did a Update Check at 6:35pm several times (ditto at various time yesterday) and no update for my Shield yet.  I'm not in the Preview Program group....just a common Joe.  Plan to check daily.

37 minutes ago, Pib said:
I did a Update Check at 6:35pm several times (ditto at various time yesterday) and no update for my Shield yet.  I'm not in the Preview Program group....just a common Joe.  Plan to check daily.

You can for sure. But it won't come until your unit is in the phase release. A lot of beta testers still haven't got it, they do it to avoid having the servers overloaded. I did chat about this with one of the Nvidia developer team last year some time, regarding another issue. He said that any update (in this case one of the v6 updates) will push to your device when it's ready, you can't 'force' it. So you might just be wasting time by checking. Much the same as the AIS Playbox update can't be forced I guess.

Must admit I much prefer the new UI. More configurable. The Play Next feature has some issues with it not picking up from apps that are capable of working with Play Next. You can also re order the Channels that you see, essentially recommendations or Continue Playing from the apps that work with that (all that I use). It's better just having the apps you use providing that info, and with the most frequent at the top, and being able to close down Google Games, Music and Movies.

Might be time for a second Shield ?

Sent using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like Nvidia has temporarily halted the Oreo release for the Shield

https://www.gsmarena.com/oreo_roll_out_for_nvidia_shield_tv_halted_over_issues-news-31419.php

Nearly a week after the Nvidia Shield TV started getting its Oreo update, the roll out has been halted. The confirmation came in the form of a reply from an Nvidia support rep on the company's official forum.

Hi All, We’ve uncovered a couple issues thanks to feedback from our preview program that we’d like to fix prior to rolling out SHIELD TV Experience Upgrade 7.0 to more users. We’re actively working to resolve the issues that have been encountered and hope to be able to restart the rollout shortly.

Sadly, the rep didn't reveal any details about the nature of the issues. Here's hoping the company quickly fixes them, and the roll out resumes sooner than later.

Source: https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/1057245/shield-tv/shield-experience-7-0-upgrade-rollout-update/1/

Known Issues:

• Audio artifact may be heard when pausing content with AAC bitstreamed audio.
  • Rare occurrence where update halts (reboot to fix).
  • Rare occurrence where network connection lost after 15 minutes.
  • Disable IPv6 on your router until patch update available
  • Google Play Movies & TV channel appears after reboot, even when removed.

https://www.reddit.com/r/AndroidTV/comments/8ndtfd/oreo_update_rollout_for_shield_tv_has_been/

And meanwhile, nothing Oreo for the MiBox as yet, AFAICT, although one poster in the Xiaomi EU forum is once again claiming a mass Oreo release to the MiBox is imminent.

https://xiaomi.eu/community/threads/xiaomi-mdz-16-ab-oreo-update-build-2116-received.44396/#post-420996

https://xiaomi.eu/community/threads/more-oreo-proof-on-display.44412/

Oreo....Oreo...Oreo....will Shield or Mi be the first to mass release Oreo "without a false start" which happened to Shield. 

By false start I mean leaving the blocks too soon and being called backed to restart in the near future.

I have laid an Oreo cookie in front of my Shield and Mi boxes to tempt them into upgrading....will report back if it helps.

Oreo....Oreo...Oreo....will Shield or Mi be the first to mass release Oreo "without a false start" which happened to Shield.   

By false start I mean leaving the blocks too soon and being called backed to restart in the near future.

I have laid an Oreo cookie in front of my Shield and Mi boxes to tempt them into upgrading....will report back if it helps.

It wasn't a false start. They didn't release too soon. It was a Preview Programme ONLY (read beta) release. That's the the reason for having the preview programme and for releasing betas. 

The problem is the media jump on the release without getting their facts straight first and fail to mention that it was indeed a beta release for preview programme members ONLY. As a result you get the disgruntled users who haven't got the update yet and those who wrongly label restricted beta releases as false starts. Never let the facts get in the way of a good story eh!

Sent using Tapatalk

I don't know....Nvidia sure implied on 23 May where they said:  "Your SHIELD TV is about to get a big upgrade! SHIELD Experience Upgrade 7.0 has started to roll out to users today, bringing a brand new home screen based on Android 8.0 Oreo. The upgrade will be a staged release over the next few weeks. If you want to ensure that you get it early, you can join the SHIELD Preview Program"

To me that means the roll-out has began with folks on the Preview Program to get it first starting on 23 May....a thanks for participating in the beta testing.   Now I guess a person could read it as only the Preview Prg  folks were to get it over the next few weeks....or you could read it everyone will get it over the next few weeks but the Preview Prg folks will be first in line.  I read it as the later.  But regardless, the roll-out to additional users has stopped for now.

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/1056259/shield-tv/shield-experience-upgrade-7-0/

image.png.dc8285bd12c13f713bf19f7ab7e621e7.png

You're wrong.  But feel free to interpret it as you see fit.  The roll out to additional users hasn't even started. Indeed not everyone in the Preview Programme has got it.  Needless to say, we are where we are, but to label it as false start is misleading IMO, as you are making assumptions not based on facts.  Within the Preview Programme section of the board (which you will not have access to unless you a Preview Programme member) it is quite clear that it was a Preview Programme release.  As for the roll out to additional users, they cannot halt what they haven't started. Twisted interpretations don't change the facts.

I guess well just have to agree that we disagree.   

Like on the Nvida main page for all customers their 24 May announcement (still there as of 4 Jun) makes zero reference saying the Oreo/Shield Exp 7 release is for Preview Prg folks.   It's like its rolling now...let them know what you think of their new Oreo release....Enjoy!   But having some words in another area for Preview Prg members only  saying the release is only for Preview Prg members right now then they are kinda speaking out of both sides of their mouth depending on which Nvidia webpage a person looks at.

It's really no big deal for me.  Upgrade to the next version OS like Android, Windows, etc., is usually more hype than substance in terms of major improvements for the end user. 

https://shield.nvidia.com/blog/shield-android-update-May2018

Partial Quote from 24 May Nvida release

A special thanks to all of our SHIELD fans who have been patiently waiting for this release. Android TV Oreo was introduced as a fantastic, customizable, entertainment-first interface and it was a dramatic shift for content discovery. We wanted to make sure the experience was snappy and enjoyable, with all the content you’d expect.

Channel and Play Next support continues to get stronger with each passing week as more app providers bring their content to your home screen.