BANGKOK 21 May 2019 04:40
Scott

hydro/aquaponic gardening

@Time to grow

Just going over my notes I made when I did the Aquaponics course with Robert and found the fish farm. As well as healthy fish they also sell the fish food.
Thipprapa 0819912340. (P'Charoen Farm). Maybe won't sell small quantities.

Also info about sick fish: If fish start to die because of parasites, take fish out and try this.

1. Salt. 1Kg/200L water for 2 days only.

2. Farmaldohide (can't spell). 1 cap/100L water. Dip fish in for the count of 4 then back in the water again.

3. Antibiotics. Amoxicilin/amoxil.

Sick fish should have been seperated from others.

More from my notes:

Type of fish food makes a big difference in water quality.

Need high protine fish food...32% protein.

Need floating fish feed.

Can use Maninga tree - from East Timor.

Ikg fish need 1.6 kg feed.

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

Hi all,

going through this thread it seems that there are way more interested home growers than expected. 

During my winter break from offshore working I have rebuilt my first backyard system entirely according the demand and experiences made (mainly by my wife) 

The result is here to see in my photos:

20190302_163120.thumb.jpg.8dc8ed8ddbfeea50aec960f46ec3ba04.jpg

1. The Pipes have been exchanged into deep-water grow beds suitable for rearing crayfish underneath the floating rafts as it has proven in trials by having rafts in the fish tanks that they will clip out any rotten roots and boosting the growth of veggies. Before going commercial we will try this in our test system again to assure that it really works and they are not rampaging the crop. All aeration hoses are now PE pipes because the bigger crays loved to eat the clear hoses or at least cut them into bits.

20190302_163138.thumb.jpg.a7897b59202e8dca3e91f933a3ee3b88.jpg

2. The ebb flood grow beds under our terrace had not enough light so we removed them and built 2 big ones outside for more sunlight.

20190330_182616.thumb.jpg.6887921a3e54dea107300b9870c30080.jpg

3. The shady space where we removed the ebb flood buckets is now used to get 6 x 300 ltr Tanks for more brood stock. In the background are our new bigger filters with 500 micron buckets. Fish poop (our planned commercial system will produce ruff 100 Kg per day) is worth pure gold as a high grade fertilizer and creates a good side income. That my little wife get the heavy stainless filter buckets lifted I built a "davit crane" (here the seaman in me popped up 😉 )

20190330_182257.thumb.jpg.3a7e35960dc665da4d7bd53414c21056.jpg

4. Too much air is when the fish blows out of the water. Hence the 2 membrane aeration pumps have been skipped and a Vortex Pump supplies all tanks filters and grow beds with sufficient air supply, before 4 ppm now 6-7 ppm DO in all spots.

The fishes starting eating way more than before.

20190330_182424.thumb.jpg.74136b18ebdd5a8567c9a6831541dc51.jpg

5. The aquariums for berried females are scrapped and a breeding station of 8 buckets is integrated in the system which makes it easy to move the crayfishes without turning them into a shock because there is no change of the water quality. 

And many other features and appliances have been built in which I keep secret because of the investment and development time of many years. 

I hope you enjoy this update and carry on with info, do's and don't do's.. 

2 days after completion I had a call and went offshore again, that's called perfect timing..  

Cheers 

See Will

• Like 1

Looks great....can't wait to see your set up.

You know many Leo beers have a way of coaxing out secrets from sea dogs.

What fish are you raising?

Will,

Impressive system, I would love to come take a look some day. By the way, I am a merchant marine as well, who do you work for? If you don't mind me asking.

Tim

• Like 1

22 hours ago, carlyai said:

Looks great....can't wait to see your set up.

You know many Leo beers have a way of coaxing out secrets from sea dogs.

What fish are you raising?

I am on a dry ship and Leo is a pretty magic word 😁 in my momentary cut freedom and life style.

But what to do, the money must be earned to build our commercial system in a couple of years.

A Leo is 60 baht and I am not thinking how much we spent till now for both systems. 

Piling all rebuilds, upgrades, Labor and operational expenses together, I can assure we hit the 500k THB marker easy over the years. 

What fish we have:

The main target is red claw crayfish as I never experienced such a taste from any freshwater crustaceans.

They are easy beating the taste of bland overrated Lobsters and almost can keep up with King Crabs.  

But they just can't pee enough to fertilize our veggies when it comes to commercial thinking so we added 2 years ago also some Tilapia.

First the common ones as they are more robust than the red Tilapia but I see now already no problem to swap them for red Tilapia which are more demanding regarding oxygen and clean water.

Carlyai, we had contact before regarding the Mudbugs and I mentioned that we could swap from time to time some males/females to avoid inbreed. I reckon soon the time will be due to think about again. 

At the moment we BBQed all down to a minimum breeding stock for the system rebuild/upgrade, but since the crays got the new home a few females already carry berries again. 

@See Will

Yes I remember we were in friendly contact before but I forgot the details.

I'll keep in contact and should have my system set up towards the end of the year. Gotta go away for a few months but will keep an eye on this TV posts.

Again your setup looks great.

Bought my IBC container and thinking where to locate it.

Think I'll move my 4 growth beds to one side and bury the IBC container (sump water drain tank), somewhere in the middle of the greenhouse.

If I turn the growth beds 90 degrees I should have enough room for another 4 on the other side of the greenhouse, and another 2 1000 L fish tanks.

Any thoughts?20190511_074801.jpg

Hi

Anyone wanting a non fussy plant to throw in the grow bed, you don't need media, try "Pak Bung" the fish will eat it so will the family.

Jon

• Like 1

On 5/11/2019 at 2:22 AM, carlyai said:

Bought my IBC container and thinking where to locate it.

Think I'll move my 4 growth beds to one side and bury the IBC container (sump water drain tank), somewhere in the middle of the greenhouse.

If I turn the growth beds 90 degrees I should have enough room for another 4 on the other side of the greenhouse, and another 2 1000 L fish tanks.

Any thoughts?20190511_074801.jpg

Maybe draw the design in plan, see how much room you've got, it looks tight