Italian killed by falling branch while out for a walk on Jomtien beach

webfact

Italian killed by falling branch while out for a walk on Jomtien beach

a1.jpg

Picture: Daily News

PATTAYA: -- An Italian man out for a Sunday stroll on Jomtien beach was killed when a large branch fell on him.

Medics and Pattaya police rushed to the scene of the accident but 91 year old Giacomo Samedelli was already dead. He was lying in a pool of blood.

He had been out walking with his Thai girlfriend. A three metre long branch was found with bloodstains next to the body.

a1a.jpg

Police had the body taken to Banglamung Hospital. They have contacted the local authority to check trees in the area so that such an accident does not occur again.

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-01-23

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My guess is the authorities will have a tree crackdown

My guess is they will have another round of old growth tree massacre !

Only old trees need chopping as all the new ones recently installed are still new and shiney and so cant possibly be "defective" like the old ones. :blink:

R.I.P to the unfortunate man

and the unfortunate trees.

The trees are not the "wrong trees."  They are, in fact, precisely the right trees because they are perfectly adapted to saline conditions.  They also  prevent erosion and provide much-needed shade.  But, it is important to know how to prune a tree.  If you slice its head off (topping it), you weaken the tree and cause branches to die.  The weakened or dead branches eventually fall to the ground.   If I were doing the pruning, I would only remove dead branches and would never cut its head off.   And I would only do it once every 2-3 years.  It is tragic that this happened.  I hope they do not add to the tragedy by destroying all of the old-growth trees that remain.

Italian man dies from falling tree brach in Pattaya

844_Tree.jpg

PATTAYA: -- An 91-year-old Italian national died after a broken tree branch fell on his head while he was walking on the sidewalk on Pattaya beach road yesterday.

The incident happened in front of Jomthien Garden Resort at 6.30 pm near Soi 8 on the sidewalk of the beach road.

The victim was identified as Mr Giacomo Smedile.

Pattaya police arriving at the scene with rescuers from the Sawang Boriboon Thammasatarn charity foundation said the tourist died at the scene.

Nearby his body with serious head injury were two broken tree branches of three metres in length and 10 centimeters in diameter.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/italian-man-dies-falling-tree-brach-pattaya/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-01-23

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Police had the body taken to Banglamung Hospital. They have contacted the local authority to check trees in the area so that such an accident does not occur again.

You could see this coming a mile away. After the fact tree trimming. I understand the man was 90 years old RIP your now the flavor of the day tree trimming on a mass scale. 

4 hours ago, zorro1 said:

Damn 91 years old, what an unfortunate way to go RIP . My guess is the authorities will have a tree crackdown

Well have you seen the coconuts hanging above the sidewalks at beachroad??? They are at the corner at the beginning of beachroad.

A few months back the fire brigade where practising using their very long articulated ladder truck  to  prune the very tall trees at the north end of Jomtien beach ( I believe they are Don Tang trees and hence the name of the beach )

4 minutes ago, fruitman said:

Well have you seen the coconuts hanging

It is surprising we haven't heard of injuries from falling coconuts too.

So sad, but this was bound to happen. This was about 75 meters from me while we were on the beach. As beach medical emergencies are frequent here, I didn't go over to see what all the fuss was about. They had the scene cleaned up in about an hour after everyone got enough photos.

A few months ago, the GF was almost killed by a large falling coconut, missing her head by mere centimetres, bruising her shoulder, as it cracked open on the sand. Since then, we have been very careful to look up before laying down the mat to avoid dying on the beach. Here in Jomtien, the palm trees above are full of coconuts. They are not removed, and if you look, dead branches are hanging often from other trees.

In place of the old square sidewalk death trap holes filled with sharp debris, they planted new palms full of killer coconuts, so now they just moved the danger way above your head where you are not looking as you stroll on the sidewalk.

I'm expecting soon they will start to place land mines on the beach in random locations.

5 hours ago, zorro1 said:

Damn 91 years old, what an unfortunate way to go RIP . My guess is the authorities will have a tree crackdown

Would make more sense to have a crackdown on 91 year old men wandering around.

1 hour ago, johng said:

A few months back the fire brigade where practising using their very long articulated ladder truck  to  prune the very tall trees at the north end of Jomtien beach ( I believe they are Don Tang trees and hence the name of the beach )

It is surprising we haven't heard of injuries from falling coconuts too.

According to Wiki - 16 documented since 1777

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_by_coconut

Archived