Italian killed by falling branch while out for a walk on Jomtien beach

webfact

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Destiny1990 said:

Poorly maintenance...

Apparently the tree had had no surgery.  Only thing I can think of as the cause is that due to that species requiring a lot of light, the offending, lateral limb had become excessively heavy due to lack of light (enabling it to grow upwards) caused by neighbouring plantings having been planted too close to it.

A really unlucky and most unfortunate accident which could have been avoided only by regular inspections (and subsequent recommendations being carried out) of the trees by a suitably qualified arboriculturalist but TIT.

That's exactly how I want to go.

91 years old and still fit enough to enjoy a walk on the beach with a lovely Thai lady on my arm...and then suddenly it's all over. 

I can't think of a better way to bow out. 

2 hours ago, SOTIRIOS said:

..sorry but gotta wonder.....

...91 years old....???

...how old is the 'girlfriend'....???

...etc....etc......

19 years   ,  what a man ,  enjoyed his life to the end . RIP

Tragic of course, and a warning to us all when taking walks near trees, but it seems to me there something rather POETIC about a man that has lived so long dying that way. Usually expect some kind of disease or just old age ... rather than that kind of thing which I think insurance companies call an act of God. 

I know this really happened, but the image of thinking about it kind of reminds me of what would be an iconic scene in an old style European art film. 

The very RANDOMNESS of such a thing ... could have been anyone.

1 minute ago, hotchilli said:

Agreed, aged 91 & topped by a falling branch...
I bet he was rather hoping to go out with a bang in bed one day!

He did go out with a bang!!! but the wrong kind.

1 minute ago, hotchilli said:

6 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Better , than a  branch  on  the  head . RIP

2 hours ago, steven100 said:

hmmm ....91yrs old ... out for a Sunday stroll and a branch falls on his head and it don't look to rotten to me.....young Thai gf .... slight fishy smell just wandered past my nose and it ain't coming from the kitchen.

Where does it say she is a 'young' girlfriend ?

7 hours ago, daveAustin said:

Please tell me the ambulance guy isn't doing the pointy thing?! Unfortunate accident, but it is likely this occurred due to planting the wrong trees and the bad practice of indiscriminate pollarding by folk who don't know what they're doing. 

Of. course. A tree falls and it's chalk it up to Thai ignorance. Do you ever stop and listen yon yourself? Pathetic. But TIF

3 hours ago, fruitman said:

Well have you seen the coconuts hanging above the sidewalks at beachroad??? They are at the corner at the beginning of beachroad.

A few years ago one fell and smashed my windscreen while parked outside Yorkies old establishment. Don't blame me. I didn't park it there.

1 minute ago, cardinalblue said:

All accidents have a root cause...they don't just happen...

i hope the BF wasn't hanging around....

Yes, and the root cause becomes a branch cause some day.

That's what trees and other plants usually do :)

9 hours ago, daveAustin said:

Please tell me the ambulance guy isn't doing the pointy thing?! Unfortunate accident, but it is likely this occurred due to planting the wrong trees and the bad practice of indiscriminate pollarding by folk who don't know what they're doing. 

I live here and walk this sidewalk 3-4 times a week for the past 14 years. The whole sidewalk  has recently been redone (2nd time in 10 years - someone is overdoing it!) and in the middle of the sidewalk are thousands of newly planted Palm Trees that take up over 1/2 of the walking space. Ridiculous ! 

BUT my concern is that,  in trimming away  the indigenous trees, which I thought were fine as they were,   in order to make room for the "prettier" palm trees, they partially cut through some branches but never finished the job,  which may have lead to this terrible death. Have a look at the blunt end being held in the photo.  I could be wrong but it is a possibility.

Archived