Beware of Bangkok Bank

PhDEducation

Since 2014, to present day,  but not every month, my account has been hacked. I've taken so many precautions it's to the point of becoming  ridiculous. Closed all accounts and reopened at a different branch, cancelled all ATM cards and issued new ones on many occasions. Now, recently move to another branch and yes, hacked! This is becoming costly and very  inconvenient when doing my banking.  

Police reports, arguing slightly to try to make them understand the situation but somehow and some way, it becomes my fault! Today was just another glorious day at the bank, the manager insisted that according to their SYSTEM, I withdrew monies from the ATM at an really early morning time. Knowingly that my money was not safe I removed my Thai baht and left a balance of 126 baht. When I checked my bank book, 4000 was withdrawn and put me at an negative balance. My question was, how do I withdraw 4000 with a balance of 126? Reply: " the system was offline and it did not know your balance!"  I am not exaggerating this was my reply! Now they are suppose to check the CCTV but not all ATM's have these cameras. If they are somewhat telling the truth, go and use your ATM cards at 3:00 am and withdraw monies that you don't have! 

The police were actually very helpful and rather honest, saying that the bank will try to keep your money but they are  responsible for money being taken from your account. Now the question arises, why are you still doing business at that bank? Answer, I need a Thai bank located in the USA! 

Does anyone know of a way to receive monies from the US that does not include the Bangkok Bank? I'm becoming rather frustrated with the skimming of my ATM Card, Foreign Currency Deposit Account, and  a regular account all,of which is being hacked! 

Thank you

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, PoorSucker said:

Hacked multiple times, take your computer to a professional clean.

You probably have some spyware.

The OP didn't say he does online banking. The OP suggests that his only interaction is via ATM using his card.

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

The OP didn't say he does online banking. The OP suggests that his only interaction is via ATM using his card.

another case of incomplete information by an emotionally distraught dramatic OP

time to change banks and do not tell anyone about it and start with just a bank book, no cards or online but that is probably too easy

so you need Bangkok bank because of the USA connection, okay keep it but as soon as the money arrives in your Thai account, remove it and put it in another bank

and yes there are other ways to get money from the US, several of them, which can be used at other banks, strange you have to ask

I have been using Bangkok Bank for the past 8 or 9 years now and have not had a single issue other than where once an ATM didn't spit out my money and again where the deposit machine locked up when I was trying to deposit 50k THB.

On both occasions I just called the bank and it was squared away. The first where I was trying to get 25k THB from an ATM and it didn't give it to me but spit out my card the machine had apparently jammed as it appeared to be continuously counting the notes. After the bank looked into it the 25k requested was never deducted from my account. On the second occasion where I was trying to make the deposit the bank had informed me that the reason the machine locked up was that it was full but as with the first occasion my card was spit out each time. The bank did verify my 50k deposit and it was shown as being in my account.

Here's a few suggestions that I use for precautions:

1) I always pay cash for everything! I use my bank debit card to withdraw funds from my account and I pay cash, always!

2) I use the same few ATM machines which are located in high traffic areas right outside of a bank's branch.

3) I shield my hand when I enter my PIN while using an ATM.

4) I check for any trace of a skimmer attached to a machine before using it.

5) When I get a receipt from the ATM I take it home and shred it there before dumping it in the trash.

"Since 2014, to present day,  but not every month, my account has been hacked".

If that's true and not just an emotional response to your woes, I think you need to look at those people around and near to you, sounds very much like somebody you know and trust is taking advantage of you.

We have dealt with Bangkok Bank KSK for nearly 10 years and never had the sort of problems the OP has described.  Always use the ATMs outside their branch bank (sometimes another branch bank) or one other near our home that we know has working CCTV because I asked both at the bank and the owner of the store where the ATM is located.  And yes, I do some on-line banking, but not for all our BB accounts.  

As you may know, sometimes I'm asked by hospitals, consulates, etc to assist elderly people having difficulty and I have been asked by several bank managers (not just Bangkok Bank, but also a couple SCB branch managers) to help with customers who have problems similar to what the OP is describing.  Situations where the branch manager thinks someone close to the bank customers is financially exploiting the elderly person.  This could be happening in the OP's situation.  In several cases, the solution has been to convince the person to take up residence in one of the several good assisted living facilities in Chiang Mai, close down existing accounts, open new ones and appoint another acceptable responsible person to assist the person having difficulties.  

Often one of the first signs of someone developing dementia is troubles in managing personal finances.

3 hours ago, dingdongrb said:

I have been using Bangkok Bank for the past 8 or 9 years now and have not had a single issue other than where once an ATM didn't spit out my money and again where the deposit machine locked up when I was trying to deposit 50k THB.

On the news about a week ago, there was a guy in Bangkok who was trying to deposit 100K THB into a deposit machine (he didn't know the maximum was 50K), late at night. Of course the machine jammed and locked up and he had no receipt. He slept on the ground at the foot of the ATM with one eye open until the bank opened in the morning! I forget what bank it was. :laugh:

I have been using Bangkok Bank for more than 10 years and never been hacked. I use online banking, an ATM card (with a chip for added security) and a BKB credit card. I am entirely satisfied with their service.

I agree with previous posters---the problems the OP is experiencing come from someone close to the OP.

22 minutes ago, elektrified said:

On the news about a week ago, there was a guy in Bangkok who was trying to deposit 100K THB into a deposit machine (he didn't know the maximum was 50K), late at night. Of course the machine jammed and locked up and he had no receipt. He slept on the ground at the foot of the ATM with one eye open until the bank opened in the morning! I forget what bank it was. :laugh:

I didn't hear about that. I didn't even know there is a maximum deposit allowed. The 50k for me was a rare occurrence, usually 25k is my typical.

I did flip out a little when the machine locked up on me. It did display an error message and honestly I can't recall what it said but I still have a photo somewhere as I took one with my phone just in case the bank didn't believe me. BTW, for my incident it occurred during the day but it happened to be a holiday and the bank branch I was at was closed. 

2 minutes ago, dingdongrb said:

I didn't hear about that. I didn't even know there is a maximum deposit allowed. The 50k for me was a rare occurrence, usually 25k is my typical.

I did flip out a little when the machine locked up on me. It did display an error message and honestly I can't recall what it said but I still have a photo somewhere as I took one with my phone just in case the bank didn't believe me. BTW, for my incident it occurred during the day but it happened to be a holiday and the bank branch I was at was closed. 

So what did you do and what happened?

ATM's have an alert mechanism which sends messages to a call centre when they are low on cash or broken, it's possible the repair folks could have come out to fix it although in Thailand that would be a rare event.

2 minutes ago, chiang mai said:

So what did you do and what happened?

As my first post stated:

"On both occasions I just called the bank and it was squared away."

I had a Thai friend, since I don't speak fluent Thai, call the bank for me and explain my situation. The bank informed my friend that they indeed saw the deposit in the machine and explained why it locked up on me. (Machine was full.)

The bank said that the 50k would be seen in my account after 6 pm the next day. I saw it there the very next day when I checked sometime after 6 pm.....

If you have closed and reopened - different branches - new cards - and you are still being hacked, the problem does not lie with the banks. It is in your end - your laptop, fone, friends, GF ... Long list. Surprised you let it go on for so long without investigating. Or this whole thread is ...

OP must be mildly retarded to have this saga still continuing on after more than a year at minimumand alleged multiple occurrences per Op to 2014.  At what point does one realise that the problem may not be the Bangkok Bank, but rather the person in the mirror.  PhDEducation in what?   Do they do PhD's in "Stupid" now.

Apologies to all actually mildly retarded people.

I'm with Bangkok Bank and they send me a text immediately ( literally seconds) after I make a transaction ( ATM withdrawal, deposit from U.K. etc) plus I get a text telling me my balance every Monday am.
If the OP is to continue with Bangkok Bank this will be a little bit of security until he gets to the bottom of the problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

I've heard too many horror stories (including inside jobs) where money is fraudulently removed from an account via ATM card, so I asked them to remove the card from my account (I only use it for deposit at the moment anyway).

This process was very easy.

I believe others then open a current account with a card simply for the purpose of withdrawing cash when required, and transfer only the required amount to it every month. This seems a very sensible way to limit your exposure.

MMM

Rarther strange no response

Only 1 post but several reposts on other posts

maybe wanted to have a post or you know what

If hacked 1 time

Have to look into whay

As stated many posibilitys

As one friends said keep all password on a  thumb /  USB Drive

Good advise i agree with

2 hours ago, Lizard2010 said:

MMM

Rarther strange no response

Only 1 post but several reposts on other posts

maybe wanted to have a post or you know what

If hacked 1 time

Have to look into whay

As stated many posibilitys

As one friends said keep all password on a  thumb /  USB Drive

Good advise i agree with

And how is that going to help you if someone has malware on your PC sniffing everything you do?

There are many other things you should be doing to secure Online banking before you worry about where you keep your passwords, if you write them down at all.

Archived