Beware of Bangkok Bank

PhDEducation

On 09/10/2017 at 2:51 PM, BuddyDean said:

Thanks to some advice on TVF, I put my retirement money in CIMB Thai, in fixed deposits, topped it up to a million, and got Preferred status, which is about 1000 THB in higher interest per year...currently getting 1.7%....and then keep 20k or so in a Speed savings, which they gave me a free VISA Debit, with no inter province fees or fees to use other ATMs.  Second year is 100 THB, chip protected...special preferred customer hotline and 100 THB for Immigration letter.  Also, very easy to bank in ASEAN.  BKK Bank KSK seems to do a good job of tolerating elderly expats, with most of their marbles gone, but there are much better choices.  Thanachart, Krungsri, UOB, to name three more..all in the basement of Airport Plaza .  Service always seems better, when there are serious competitors close by.

Krungsri in Airport?

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/24/2017 at 7:05 AM, dingdongrb said:

I have been using Bangkok Bank for the past 8 or 9 years now and have not had a single issue other than where once an ATM didn't spit out my money and again where the deposit machine locked up when I was trying to deposit 50k THB.

On both occasions I just called the bank and it was squared away. The first where I was trying to get 25k THB from an ATM and it didn't give it to me but spit out my card the machine had apparently jammed as it appeared to be continuously counting the notes. After the bank looked into it the 25k requested was never deducted from my account. On the second occasion where I was trying to make the deposit the bank had informed me that the reason the machine locked up was that it was full but as with the first occasion my card was spit out each time. The bank did verify my 50k deposit and it was shown as being in my account.

Here's a few suggestions that I use for precautions:

1) I always pay cash for everything! I use my bank debit card to withdraw funds from my account and I pay cash, always!

2) I use the same few ATM machines which are located in high traffic areas right outside of a bank's branch.

3) I shield my hand when I enter my PIN while using an ATM.

4) I check for any trace of a skimmer attached to a machine before using it.

5) When I get a receipt from the ATM I take it home and shred it there before dumping it in the trash.

Good advise, and the same as I have always done, especially since hearing years ago about the 'little gadgets' that could be hidden above.

One time a 40,000 baht deposit showed up in my Bangkok Bank account that I wasn't expecting.  I went to the bank to inquire about the source and after some investigation that they were able to do while I waited, there was much apologizing and thanking me and the 40,000 baht was deducted.

I asked if I hadn't brought this to their attention could I have spent the money and they wouldn't have known about it and they said "maybe".  Or perhaps that they would have found it eventually, but had trouble recovering it.

This was over five years ago, so one can hope their "systems" have improved.

On 10/13/2017 at 7:06 PM, JaseTheBass said:

We use our ATM cards as normal human beings would and have never had a problem. Sorry to disappoint the over-educated tin-foil hat brigade.

Sent from my R2D2 droid using my C3P0 manservant

Ah, so statistically your single data point in the sample population carries greater weight than any other outcome.

Sent from my BS detector.

5 hours ago, bazza73 said:

Ah, so statistically your single data point in the sample population carries greater weight than any other outcome.

Ah, so how much weight should we give to the handful (out of millions) of ATM users who claim to be victims? 

• 3 months later...

very disturbing what you tell here. propably the problem starts when you send money from abroad, and 

have a foreign account. sounds like an inside job, of someone who is after foreign account holders.

or maybe it is someone who knows which ATM you use, and than

fixed the machine to get your card details.

anyway, another way to send money in thailand is western union,

you can get up to 300000 baht a day,

but you must watch their exchange rates.

On 10/13/2017 at 8:59 AM, eddysmit said:

Good advise, and the same as I have always done, especially since hearing years ago about the 'little gadgets' that could be hidden above.

good advice indeed, and i will just add that the problem might start in the U.S., someone

IN THE U.S. might see your money transfers and hit on your thai account

On 1/26/2017 at 8:02 AM, Bill97 said:

My bank gave me an ATM card with no fees at any ATM in the world, full refund of second party ATM fees and no charge for the card ever but I do not clean my computers.

Thats an amazing deal.. 

Are you truly sure ?? Which bank and product offering. 

39 minutes ago, LivinLOS said:

ahh I thought that was claimed on a Thai bank for THB.. 

Sure western banks will give thier own free charges.. you still have to pay the Thai 200b fee then though do you not ?? 

That fee is charged then you receive a credit for it on your monthly statement, so effectively, no you do not pay the Thai bank fees to use their ATMs or any other banks charges anyplace in the world.  Fx rates are very good too.

Archived