BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

webfact

Doctors say man suffered attack from "flesh eating bacteria" after cat scratches

Doctors say man suffered attack from "flesh eating bacteria" after cat scratches

2a.jpg

Picture: Video screenshot

PHUKET: -- A man who was scratched by a neighbor's cat nearly had to have his legs amputated after flesh eating bacteria infected the wounds.

A woman had posted the story and pictures of the man's legs on Facebook which caused a great stir among Thai netizens. The woman said that the victim waited for three days before going to hospital and was told that if he had delayed just two more days he would have needed amputation, reports Sanook.

As it is Weera, 63, will need to spend at least a month in Wachira Phuket hospital.

He suffered the scratches to his legs on the 16th and these became infected with bacteria that caused nacrotyzing pascilitis, said doctors at the hospital.

The Facebook poster advised all people scratched by cats to seek urgent treatment.

Source: Sanook

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-01-24

43 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Not an isolated case. The one I know of was from a cat bite however, but also nearly cost the guy his leg.

Know you know why the dog is called "mans best friend"! And the cat is called an unreliable stealth hunter.

It's not just cat scratches, any minor break in the skin can be a route in for bacteria. I came within an ace of losing a toe last year from a similar infection caused by a tiny (minuscule even) friction blister.

Ten days of IV antibiotics every 8 hours later and the bugs finally succumbed.

I believe this is what he got. Warning graphic content. http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/2051157-overview

1 hour ago, Get Real said:

Honey, didn´t I always tell you that a dog is the way to go.

Hopefully the dog would be free of rabies?

As Crossy states,  any scratches could provide a route for this bacteria

Cats are getting much maligned... but a swim in the klong after an intense romantic experience, could also be dangerous!!

I won't post photos but my FL is going through this at the moment. It's real. He will likely lose two fingers on his left hand.

1 hour ago, dotpoom said:

You don't think cats get rabies?

2 hours ago, dotpoom said:

All animals, including humans, can "give" you this.

A bite through the skin by a human, well, good luck.

And all animals including humans can have rabies.

16 hours ago, Get Real said:

Honey, didn´t I always tell you that a dog is the way to go.

Honey, did I tell you about the nice Thai guy that was feeding the soi dogs, was bitten by one, and died of rabies?

Well this story really cheers me up. I'm going to Ubon Ratchathani Government hospital on Friday with a badly infected foot. My local hospital says they can do no more. I can't think of any other options, already stayed in Mukdahan hospital but they released me the next day.

Please be advised that this infection is usually a result of inadequate care and cleaning of the wounds, or a very low resistance or immunity. It is not related to an animal carrying the bacteria. Cats or dogs are no carriers of this bacteria as for example rabies is carried by dogs or cats. 

17 minutes ago, citzofwrld said:

Honey, did I tell you about the nice Thai guy that was feeding the soi dogs, was bitten by one, and died of rabies?

Sad story.