Vancouver woman killed, Calgary woman injured in traffic accident in Thailand

webfact

Vancouver woman killed, Calgary woman injured in traffic accident in Thailand

By Tamara Baluja, CBC News 

Friend who was in jeep was also seriously injured, Canadian consular services say

BANGKOK: -- A Vancouver woman's holiday in Thailand ended in tragedy when the jeep she was in rolled down an embankment in heavy rains last week, killing her and severely injuring a friend.

Ali Lambert, 22, died from her injuries, her father Doug told CBC.

Now, family and friends are trying to raise money to pay for her friend, Nezabravka (Nezi) Borislavova's, medical bills and to bring her back home to Canada.

Doug Lambert says his daughter's rented jeep apparently had trouble with heavy rains. as they were driving from Bangkok to Phuket. 

"We've been told it hit a light standard," he said. "The jeep was completely destroyed ... Ali was non-responsive when she was taken to the hospital."

Full story: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/vancouver-woman-killed-thailand-traffic-accident-1.3949036

-- CBC news 2017-01-24

I'll never understand why people travel to places like Thailand and have no insurance to cover them in case of problems.  It places a huge burden on family and friends.  Trip insurance is relatively cheap.  And should have been mandatory when renting a car.  From the article:

"From what I hear, Nezi will be okay. She has a couple of broken bone but she does not have medical insurance," he said.

"She was an artist and adventurer at heart," he said. "She was a real alternative kid. She chose a different path for herself."

Even Special Forces guys don't rent a plastic 'jeep' in Bangkok and think they can drive it to Phuket.

3 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Even Special Forces guys don't rent a plastic 'jeep' in Bangkok and think they can drive it to Phuket.

I've driven all over this country, and all over many other countries around the world.  From Argentia to Greece to Turkey to Costa Rica to Lithuania to Romania, etc, etc, etc.  Thailand is the most dangerous I've experienced.  Though I've not driven in Egypt where as a passenger, it was scary!

I rented a jeep one time in Hawaii and hated it.  Not great at highway speeds nor around sharp corners.

Condolences to the relatives and best wishes for a speedy recovery to the other.

4 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

I've driven all over this country, and all over many other countries around the world.  From Argentia to Greece to Turkey to Costa Rica to Lithuania to Romania, etc, etc, etc.  Thailand is the most dangerous I've experienced.  Though I've not driven in Egypt where as a passenger, it was scary!

I rented a jeep one time in Hawaii and hated it.  Not great at highway speeds nor around sharp corners.

Condolences to the relatives and best wishes for a speedy recovery to the other.

yet another sad story from the thai roads.

in my experience lebanon is the only place with more dangerous roads than thailand, but then i was there shortly after the civil war had ended so life was pretty cheap.

Vancouver woman dies, friend barely survives Thailand jeep accident

BY GORDON MCINTYRE

VANCOUVER: -- A young Vancouver woman faces months of rehabilitation and huge hospital bills after being severely injured in a single-vehicle accident in Thailand last week.

Nezabravka (Nezi) Borislavova, 24, suffered internal injuries, two broken shoulders, a broken arm and broken wrist, according to a family friend.

“I think she’s out of trouble as far as life-threatening goes,” Patrick Parenteau said. “She’s in bad shape, but she should live.”

Borislavova’s friend Ali Lambert, a 22-year-old also from Vancouver, died in the accident.

Full story: http://vancouversun.com/news/local-news/vancouver-woman-dies-friend-barely-survives-thailand-jeep-accident

-- VANCOUVER SUN 2017-01-24

So young 22 so sad. (reckless driving of young people ?)

The owner where she rented the jeep might be  UNSCRUPULOUS :sad: Money safety first !

1 Driving a jeep ( jeep ? driver protection limited  no electronic stability control no airbags ?...)

2 under heavy rains

3 long distance

4 dangerous roads

5 young woman driving In thailand )

RIP young woman.:sad:

Judging by the vehicle, they likely rented from an independent vendor (not Hertz, Budget etc.). Therefore, likely only the basic insurance (if any at all). Hence the fund-raising efforts. 

Sad end to a short life. May the passenger have a speedy recovery. 

6 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

I'll never understand why people travel to places like Thailand and have no insurance to cover them in case of problems.  It places a huge burden on family and friends.  Trip insurance is relatively cheap.  And should have been mandatory when renting a car.  From the article:

She is using the insurance of last resort. Crowdfunding. It truly amazes me the itinerary of the girl that was killed. Months and months of travelling. Must be a lottery winner I guess. 

6 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

I found India, especially Chennai to be more dangerous than here (Bangalore and Calcutta about the same).

One friend, ex military attache in Russia said Moscow was worse than Chennai. 

But the propensity for traffic related violence here is the worst I've seen.

8 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

I found India, especially Chennai to be more dangerous than here (Bangalore and Calcutta about the same).

One friend, ex military attache in Russia said Moscow was worse than Chennai. 

But the propensity for traffic related violence here is the worst I've seen.

Yeah, I forgot about India!  I had a private driver for 21 days.  And we were mostly in the countryside.  But almost every day we'd see wrecks alongside the road from the night before.  Obviously, we never drove at night!

Didn't drive around Moscow much, but seemed kinda like most other big cities.  Lots of cars! LOL

I feell terribly sorry for their loss. And may she RIP. Too young to go.

But the excuse seems to mirror the many locals: Doug Lambert says his daughter's rented jeep apparently had trouble with heavy rains .

With the extremely short wheelbase of the jeep it takes this knowledge and careful execution of driving skills. In wet or snowy road conditions one can over correct so easily causing the rear end to try to pass the front at the blink of an eye. Just saying from experience.

(Edit. The article just appeared (online) on the Phuket Gazette site - however it is just a repost of the story from the Canadian news sites.)

I find it odd that this story doesn't seem to have been reported in the Thai (English language) press at all. I've been checking the various Phuket news sites (Phuket Wan, Phuket Gazette, Phuket News - web and Facebook sites), the Phuket forum here, assorted google searches and so on and the only place this story appears seems to be in Canadian news media.

Considering all the less "newsworthy" articles posted since the start of the year on those sites, I find it rather amazing that this story somehow escaped their notice. It also seems odd that the stories (in the Canadian press) all refer to the accident having happened "last week" without giving an actual date.

Going to contact the Canadian papers about this.

Canadian woman dies, another injured when rented pink Jeep rolls into ditch

By Coconuts Bangkok

jeepaccident.jpg

Ali Lambert (left) died from the injuries of a traffic accident in Thailand. Her friend, Nezabravka "Nezi" Borislavova, was seriously injured. Photo: CBC News

The vacation of two Canadian women ended tragically last week when the pink Jeep they rented rolled off a road and into a ditch in an accident related to the recent unseasonal heavy rains.

The driver Ali Lambert, 22, died just after the accident. The passenger, Nezabravka “Nezi” Borislavova, is in the hospital with injuries. Her friends and family are trying to raise money to pay her medical bills and send her back to Canada as she did not have medical insurance.

Doug Lambert, Ali’s father, said that the Jeep his daughter was driving struggled in the heavy rain. The women were road-tripping from Bangkok to Phuket.

Full Story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2017/01/24/canadian-woman-dies-another-injured-when-rented-pink-jeep-rolls-ditch

coconts_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Coconuts Bangkok 2017-1-24

words fail me when these people come to a foreign country with no insurance.

especially the young, they think they are bullet proof but sadly they are not, Thai wet roads are lethal, as the tar oils come to then surface when the roads are wet, but tourists are not aware of this.

9 hours ago, thooktong said:

So young 22 so sad. (reckless driving of young people ?)

The owner where she rented the jeep might be  UNSCRUPULOUS :sad: Money safety first !

1 Driving a jeep ( jeep ? driver protection limited  no electronic stability control no airbags ?...)

2 under heavy rains

3 long distance

4 dangerous roads

5 young woman driving In thailand )

RIP young woman.:sad:

Whelp, this time it only took 7 posts to start slamming the Thais again.  "Unscrupulous" owner you say? "Money first" you say? Where have those points been mentioned in the news reports? From the pictures shown, the jeep looks fairly new or at least in decent condition and nowhere is it mentioned that they were forced to rent the jeep over another, possibly safer, vehicle. It was more likely a matter of personal choice.

Sad to have had an accident with injuries and a fatality, also sad that the financial burden now falls to others due to lack of insurance.

As a Canadian, my condolences to the family of the deceased and sympathy and best wishes for a good recovery for the survivor. The story states that they were road tripping FROM Bangkok to Phuket in what appears to be a Jeep very similar to these in the attached photo. I am not aware of a company that rents such vehicles in Bangkok and I always thought that rentals of these type of open holiday sporty vehicles were restricted to the province where rented. I may be wrong, but attempting a long journey from Bangkok to Phuket in that vehicle with the southern rains is looking for trouble..

EDIT.http://vancouversun.com/news/local-news/vancouver-woman-dies-friend-barely-survives-thailand-jeep-accident

This story in the Sun has them originating in Phuket driving north, that makes more sense as the accident happened on the Phuket mainland connector...

jeep.jpg

1 minute ago, ratcatcher said:

As a Canadian, my condolences to the family of the deceased and sympathy and best wishes for a good recovery for the survivor. The story states that they were road tripping FROM Bangkok to Phuket in what appears to be a Jeep very similar to these in the attached photo. I am not aware of a company that rents such vehicles in Bangkok and I always thought that rentals of these type of open holiday sporty vehicles were restricted to the province where rented. I may be wrong, but attempting a long journey from Bangkok to Phuket in that vehicle with the southern rains is looking for trouble..

jeep.jpg

Yes rest in peace and get well to the other young lady. I guess Ratcatcher you and I are well past this dangerous age. At 22 life seemed like an endless journey. 

Jeeps and more importantly off road tyres are shit in the rain on roads, when raining especially.

Also travel insurance is not expensive when compared to the holiday cost, sorry but stupid not to have it.

RIP and swift recovery to the other poor girl.

4 hours ago, ratcatcher said:

EDIT.http://vancouversun.com/news/local-news/vancouver-woman-dies-friend-barely-survives-thailand-jeep-accident

This story in the Sun has them originating in Phuket driving north, that makes more sense as the accident happened on the Phuket mainland connector...

jeep.jpg

I have often travelled from Bangkok to south in rented cars (always Toyota Limousines in good condition). As you say, you will find these Jeeps for rent only in Phuket, Pattaya or KohSamui. They  are completely worn out, bald tires, gearbox used up, clutch sucked dry etc. no maintenance at all. Plus  the distance, heavy rains, no air-conditioning, traffic jams at arrival in Bangkok etc. - I wonder if the girls knew what they were doing.  22 years old! If they told the renter what they were planning he should have really advised against it.... poor girls

Looks like a Suzuki Jeep to me. Those things fall over at the drop of a hat. Narrow track, high centre of gravity. Not a vehicle I'd choose for a drive from Bangkok to Phuket.

Poor kids. Probably their holiday of a lifetime. Life just isn't fair sometimes.

1 minute ago, nisakiman said:

Looks like a Suzuki Jeep to me. Those things fall over at the drop of a hat. Narrow track, high centre of gravity. Not a vehicle I'd choose for a drive from Bangkok to Phuket.

Poor kids. Probably their holiday of a lifetime. Life just isn't fair sometimes.

No it is not. Sometimes I think to reach our age we must have had a fairy grandmother or somebody watching over us. Things move so fast today decisions made on the fly. More idiots on the roads. Stay safe. 

2 minutes ago, elgordo38 said:

No it is not. Sometimes I think to reach our age we must have had a fairy grandmother or somebody watching over us. Things move so fast today decisions made on the fly. More idiots on the roads. Stay safe. 

I bow to your superior knowledge! :) It just looked narrower inside from the photo than the Wrangler (?) type jeep.

I don't think we had any fairy godmothers, we were just brought up in an age where we were expected to make mistakes and learn from them. These days, kids are so cocooned that when they get out in the big wide world, they just aren't equipped to deal with it.

1 minute ago, nisakiman said:

I bow to your superior knowledge! :) It just looked narrower inside from the photo than the Wrangler (?) type jeep.

I don't think we had any fairy godmothers, we were just brought up in an age where we were expected to make mistakes and learn from them. These days, kids are so cocooned that when they get out in the big wide world, they just aren't equipped to deal with it.

They are long on the IT stuff and short on the common sense part. Enter the labyrinth of life.  

15 hours ago, docshock13 said:

Judging by the vehicle, they likely rented from an independent vendor (not Hertz, Budget etc.). Therefore, likely only the basic insurance (if any at all). Hence the fund-raising efforts. 

Sad end to a short life. May the passenger have a speedy recovery. 

Vehicle insurance even the most comprehensive does not cover repatriation.

Archived