Family of British man who died suddenly in Udon Thani appeal for help in paying for his funeral

Jonathan Fairfield

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, oldgent said:

are you of thai nationality ? if not then by law you are required  to have 400,000 if married

to a thai lady to be able to stay in the kingdom. are you staying here illegally ? 

why are people obsessed with going off on a wobbly  to prove a point, he could have 400,000 in a bank, he could have an income of 40,000 per month, he could be on a non immigrant visa, he could be on an elite visa, he could be on tourist visa's, he could be on overstay,.

Back to the topic, why oh why are a penny-less couple of kids trying to do something that is the wife's decision to make, yes its sad that he died young, may he RIP,  but come on he choose to live in Thailand, he choose to marry a Thai lady, and he choose to have a child in Thailand, and i'm sure that if he could choose he would not want his older children to cause all this fuss, and would just want to be left in Thailand at peace in the country he choose to Love.

45 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

In my village and probably throughout Thailand we have an insurance for ones funeral for a small amount of money each quarter. This pays for the cremation and for the feasting afterwards and money is left over for the period of adjustment for the family. People still bring money to the feast in envelopes as a sign of respect.

never heard of it but a good system,

when i was in the Police service, if a serving officer died there was a fund of about £2,000 ( a few years ago) which was immediately given to the wife or family of the deceased officer by the police federation, this was then replaced by a contribution by all serving officers, of a £ or 2.

Condolences to the family.

And a cautionary tale for anyone who thinks their health is going to hold them in good stead through a long (insurance free) retirement in Thailand.  

Maybe it was out of the blue, maybe the guy would still be among us had he gotten regular checkups.  And it could have been virtually any one of us.

1 hour ago, oldgent said:

are you of thai nationality ? if not then by law you are required  to have 400,000 if married

to a thai lady to be able to stay in the kingdom. are you staying here illegally ? 

Haven't you heard of the Multiple Entry marriage visa which lasts up to 15 months? No funds required at all.

1 hour ago, oldgent said:

Oldgent you need to read up on the rules for marriage extension. It is not necessary to have 400,000 baht in the bank if you have income of at least 45,000 baht per month.

19 minutes ago, ResandePohm said:

Oldgent you need to read up on the rules for marriage extension. It is not necessary to have 400,000 baht in the bank if you have income of at least 45,000 baht per month.

You need to read the rules - it is 40,000 baht per month.

1 hour ago, steve187 said:

why are people obsessed with going off on a wobbly  to prove a point, he could have 400,000 in a bank, he could have an income of 40,000 per month, he could be on a non immigrant visa, he could be on an elite visa, he could be on tourist visa's, he could be on overstay,.

Back to the topic, why oh why are a penny-less couple of kids trying to do something that is the wife's decision to make, yes its sad that he died young, may he RIP,  but come on he choose to live in Thailand, he choose to marry a Thai lady, and he choose to have a child in Thailand, and i'm sure that if he could choose he would not want his older children to cause all this fuss, and would just want to be left in Thailand at peace in the country he choose to Love.

this is a Forum where members discuss topics posted here if you are offended by anything that

members are debating sorry, most times we tend to go off topic but that is how it is. Possum thanks 

for your input .

3 hours ago, possum1931 said:

Why should he have? I am married to a Thai, and have never had 400.000Bt in a Thai bank.

You must be getting a good pension  if your married living in Thailand and married to a Thai. That guy who passed was to young to get a pension  and must show 400, 000bt in the bank every 12 months. 

2 minutes ago, expatoz said:

You must be getting a good pension  if your married living in Thailand and married to a Thai. That guy who passed was to young to get a pension  and must show 400, 000bt in the bank every 12 months. 

Whatever, if he was cremated here he would be out of sight so he is flown 10,000km to be put under the ground where he will be....out of sight, seems a bit of a waste.

5 minutes ago, expatoz said:

What do you mean too young for a pension--or do you mean for a retirement extension? Any military, police, fireman, ranger, or a myriad of other jobs can retire and get a pension after 20 years; that could be 38 or even younger. The deceased was 48, I believe. Also, I retired the first time at 42 and had more than a B40,000/mo income.

They should open a GO FUND ME account and see if they can rally up some funds.

It works for a lot of people like the 2 girls from Canada who had a recent motor vehicle accident in Phuket and one died in the accident and the other is severely injured and in the Phuket Hospital .

A Go Fund Me account was started and in 2 days they accumulated 28,000 US dollars for their cause to pay the hospital fees and get the one surviving girl back to Calgary, Alberta and back to her family.

OOPS....SORRY FOLKS .....I SEE THEY ALREADY DID SET UP A GO FUND ME ACCOUNT...MISSED THAT PART

Cheers

22 minutes ago, expatoz said:

Maybe the Prisons Service was paying him to stay out of the country?

2 hours ago, steve187 said:

Another reminder of how important it is to have a will. I have a will that specifically addresses what is supposed to be done with my body upon my death. This spares everyone the indignity of guessing and possibly fighting over what to do.

32 minutes ago, expatoz said:

Why was he to young?? I had a pension at 42 and no you don't have to show any money in bank if you don't want to

Hmm I though a UK national, who had lived and worked in the UK most of his workign life, got a death grant for his widow of I think £2000.  That is more than enough to pay for a Thai cremation and the wake afterwards though would be a bit short for a UK funeral and wake.  Okay might take a few weeks to come through to the widow here but I am sure a friend or family could lend her enough for the cremation until she gets the UK death grant a few weeks later.  

Does anyone know about this UK death grant, how much it is and if it is, as it should be, paid to a Thai wife of the deceased. All assuming that the legal Thai marriage was originally notified to the UK authorites, which most of us do anyway, well I did as normal practice when I married my Thai wife some years ago.

Anyway RIP to the family he has left behind. Very sad one so relatively young.

Yeah, the poor guy should be cremated in Thailand where he lives with his new family. I am wondering what the Thai wife wants? Have the daughters contacted her? Did the deceased happen to tell his wife what to do in case of his death? Let's pursue this before shipping the body half way around the world and incurring expenses the daughters can't afford. A friend of mine recently died after living in Thailand for many years. His friends had a Thai funeral at a local temple and he was cremated. And it was a beautiful funeral I was told. 

4 hours ago, rayw said:

Does anyone know about this UK death grant, how much it is and if it is, as it should be, paid to a Thai wife of the deceased. All assuming that the legal Thai marriage was originally notified to the UK authorites, which most of us do anyway, well I did as normal practice when I married my Thai wife some years ago.

This is not an automatic benefit for all deaths but designed for those with no means to pay for a funeral in the U.K. Each council decides the eligibility by means testing the applicant and the benefit has to be paid back either by instalments or from settlement of the deceased's estate. The amount payable will be based on the cost of funerals in the area where the applicant or deceased lives as funeral costs can vary significantly throughout the UK and then only the bare minimum (less what the applicant or deceased has) will be allowed. As the deceased's daughters live in the U.K. and family are paying to transport him back to the UK they may be eligible but will get nothing towards the cost to bring their father back. If you were to die In Thailand nothing would be paid to your Thai family.

The daughters have set up an online "Go Fund Me" account looking for £5000 and already £835 has been paid towards the funeral costs for them. On the account they have stated "Please help us pay for dad's funeral, as a family member has helped get dad home. We need to give dad the best send off"

Their wording is "We need to give dad the best send off" which sounds like they are being selfish and gave no consideration to his Thai family.

11 hours ago, Muhendis said:

I'm having difficulty feeling sorry for nthe poor guy and his "kids" in the UK after reading the   Swindon Advertiser  report

Thanks for posting.  Very seldom  are things as they seem.

Nothing to do with his criminal record, but If he was my old man, I'd throw him on a fire In the backyard, or leave him at the tip before I'd ask for money.  My pride wouldn't permit me to ask.

Gofundme was  a great Idea, but It's a magnet for mercenary/ greedy types who want to capitalize on other's generosity.

They 'want to give him the best send off'.......on other's contributions!!

His UK family are giving NO thought to his Thai family, but what could we expect when they're asking for money?

Thanks for posting.  Very seldom  are things as they seem.

Gofundme was  a great Idea, but It's a magnet for mercenary/ greedy types who want to capitalize on other's generosity.
They 'want to give him the best send off'.......on other's contributions!!

Several years ago I read about an English town (I forget which one) where a homeless man who lived rough on the street died. The man didn't beg for money but did odd jobs for food. The local council would have covered the full cost of his funeral as he had no known relatives but a local trader who knew him set up a Go Fund Me account. Donations flooded in, more than needed for a decent funeral and the extra donations were given to local homeless charities and shelters.
This was occasion where Go Fund Me was properly used.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

as far as I know If a person is legally  married in Thailand the spouse has the say on the burial arrangements unless a will is made. so in this case the wife may be arranging a local funeral and any money he has will be given to her unless a will has been made.

While I feel sad for the girls loss and the family in Thailand it is a sad sign of the times that they expect someone else to pay for the funeral of their father. Yes it is very expensive.

The money spent shipping the body to the UK could have arranged a funeral and cremation in Thailand that they could have attended.

A reminder to myself that I cover for such expenses if I happen to go suddenly.

Archived