Family of British man who died suddenly in Udon Thani appeal for help in paying for his funeral

Jonathan Fairfield

Why does he please enlighten me

You're right, he doesn't, he could be earning 40k per month or exiting the country to get a new Non-O M from an Embassy/Consulate that doesn't require proof of finances.

Or he could by paying some dodgy lawyer to sort his extensions out, be on overstay or even be a Thai PR (he was working on the farm a couple of years back, can't get a WP to do that)...

Point is he died at a young age & seemingly without leaving enough money to be repatriated or buried.

Should he be cremated in Thailand? Not everybody wants to be cremated & maybe his previous wife died & there's a dual plot waiting for him... We just don't know.

But I'm with the posters who suggested applying for the grant from the council, having strangers fund your parents funeral is "off" IMHO

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, JB300 said:

You're right, he doesn't, he could be earning 40k per month or exiting the country to get a new Non-O M from an Embassy/Consulate that doesn't require proof of finances.

Or he could by paying some dodgy lawyer to sort his extensions out, be on overstay or even be a Thai PR (he was working on the farm a couple of years back, can't get a WP to do that)...

Point is he died at a young age & seemingly without leaving enough money to be repatriated or buried.

Should he be cremated in Thailand? Not everybody wants to be cremated & maybe his previous wife died & there's a dual plot waiting for him... We just don't know.

But I'm with the posters who suggested applying for the grant from the council, having strangers fund your parents funeral is "off" IMHO

Now we don't know if he left money here and we will probably never know. His wife here must be devasted with all this. 

Will or no will seems to me his wife here was next of kin and should have had the final say. As for this go fund me it's never right.

10 hours ago, Hutch68 said:

Yes and very easy to obtain if you have all the correct paperwork.

Not what I've heard, a lot of hassle, also IOs coming to your house then demanding 2000Bt for "fuel" for a120K round trip.

13 hours ago, steve187 said:

never heard of it but a good system,

when i was in the Police service, if a serving officer died there was a fund of about £2,000 ( a few years ago) which was immediately given to the wife or family of the deceased officer by the police federation, this was then replaced by a contribution by all serving officers, of a £ or 2.

Not a fee provided by the opresssed motorist then?

sorry got out of bed on the wrong side. I was OFC referring to our gallant heroes the BiB the savers of virgins - RTP

4 minutes ago, retayl said:

Sounds like they're using gofundme to pay for an almighty piss up.

What an outstanding idea. Want to "go Dutch " on a similar concept?

seriously though, today's youth think that it is their god given right to beg strangers to financially support their whims and desires. When I was that age had I tried that game my butt would have received a visit from a size 11 boot courtesy of my father along with some advise to get off my lazy **** and work for the money.

i was at school five and a half days per week ( Saturday mornings) had a min three hours homework per day yet still held down a pocket money job in a supermarket on Saturday afternoons, a four Village paper round (at an ungodly hour of Sunday morning but which drove home the lesson that the rich mostly became so by never paying their bills) as well as cleaning three cars inside and out. 

I also knew knew that if you did not win, you did not whine a lesson so obviously not taught nowadays.

now that "education" allowed me to send my two spawn to the same private school in the UK such that those basic life standards could be thrashed into them in a similar, but more humane way, as I encountered, 

sadly it it seems the obscene amount (and trust me it was an absolute obscene amount by any standards) spent on this education might have been better spent down the pub

18 hours ago, little mary sunshine said:

Looks 68,  RIP...should,alway have

burial insurance.

Rest assured,  that the  farlang expat community in Udon  , will donate generously .

Really ?? .

Now we don't know if he left money here and we will probably never know. His wife here must be devasted with all this. 

Will or no will seems to me his wife here was next of kin and should have had the final say. As for this go fund me it's never right.

I can't see how his Wife wouldn't have had the final say if she'd have wanted it, it's not like somebody could come & forcibly repatriate the body against her wishes (for one, she could have had the cremation done before somebody in the UK could start to organise things).

Much more likely that she respected his wishes OR they were estranged & she didn't think it was her call anymore OR they weren't "Properly" married (Village wedding) and so (rightly or wrongly) doesn't have the final say.

Again, pure speculation but I really can't see how his Wife couldn't have had him cremated if it's what she wanted for him.

18 hours ago, SpokaneAl said:

The title of the gofundme page is Get Dad Home.  With a wife and child here in Thailand I would submit that as far as old dad is concerned he already was and is home. Perhaps the daughters should consider a low priced remembance service and let his current family grieve via cremation etc.

..........How about a 'Gofundme' page for his Thai wife and child who will no longer have his financial support?

47 minutes ago, SunsetT said:

..........How about a 'Gofundme' page for his Thai wife and child who will no longer have his fiitancial support?

Far better Idea but the  parasitic kids want a paid for pissup to send him off.

Misnamed gofundme campaign anyway.....a relative had already covered the cost of transport.  His daughters should have called It A Pissup for the Old Man, but perhaps that wouldn't have attracted the same level of emotion, and as a consequence,  donations??

A girl this week wants 10,000 from United Air for breaking her Cello. She did not insure it herself and the instrument is not covered under the airlines policies! Her go fund is real but it sounds as if she wants a better instrument to go with her big cup of bleeding heart sympathy

In this case though does anybody actually know the deceased. Anybody could pull pics from the Internet to make up a hoax.

What an outstanding idea. Want to "go Dutch " on a similar concept?

seriously though, today's youth think that it is their god given right to beg strangers to financially support their whims and desires. When I was that age had I tried that game my butt would have received a visit from a size 11 boot courtesy of my father along with some advise to get off my lazy **** and work for the money.

i was at school five and a half days per week ( Saturday mornings) had a min three hours homework per day yet still held down a pocket money job in a supermarket on Saturday afternoons, a four Village paper round (at an ungodly hour of Sunday morning but which drove home the lesson that the rich mostly became so by never paying their bills) as well as cleaning three cars inside and out. 

I also knew knew that if you did not win, you did not whine a lesson so obviously not taught nowadays.

now that "education" allowed me to send my two spawn to the same private school in the UK such that those basic life standards could be thrashed into them in a similar, but more humane way, as I encountered, 

sadly it it seems the obscene amount (and trust me it was an absolute obscene amount by any standards) spent on this education might have been better spent down the pub

Luxury, we used to live in a hole in the ground covered by a tarpaulin. Used to work 48hrs a day, 9 days a week. Used to come home at night and our dad used to stab us with a rusty bread knife!
Kids today have got it easy!!!
[emoji102]

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

On 2017/1/24 at 3:13 AM, SamuiAxe said:

Five years ago my son died in Thailand, he was 28. The whole local community came by the temple to pay their respect and most of them had an envelop with some money in it. It was heartwarming to see how the so often (wrongly!) maligned Thai people where there... Paying their respect to my son and me. They gave enough money to provide for a decent cremation and burial of my sons ashes.. He left this place with dignity, mainly thanks to the local people.... 

Glad to hear you meet good people in Thailand. Me too had met good Thais who were helpful.

12 hours ago, Deepinthailand said:

Why does he please enlighten me

looks like you have a little problem with my posts, did not see you

offering any condolences to the deceased or his family. it don,t matter to me 

if the guy had money or not.

14 hours ago, steven100 said:

Can't he be cremated here then put his ashes in an envelope and send him to the UK by EMS. Takes 3-5 days.

Good  idea ,

i  am  going back to UK next week , i can take the   ashes back ,

For  a fee , just reimburse the exspense  of  my ticket , {first class Thai Air ]

3 hours ago, oldgent said:

looks like you have a little problem with my posts, did not see you

offering any condolences to the deceased or his family. it don,t matter to me 

if the guy had money or not.

I was respond in  to your several posts saying you have to have 400000 in bank numerous times you said it but didn't  bother trying to explain why you thought that when indeed several posters put you right. Why should I be offering condolences to someone I didn't know. I have no problems with your posts apart from they were wrong. I think you have the problem. You are now saying diffrently about this 400000 you keep bleating on about?

It is sad when someone dies, and you do need to think of what will happen after you die. To many don't do that, and cause problems for their relatives.

What is amazing is how many people have gone on about having 400,000 baht in the bank. First, you don't even know what visa he was here on - he could be on visa exemption for all we know. Secondly, so many still have no clue about what you actually require to get a specific visa, but still post as if they do. This is Thai Visa forum. Surely so many aren't that ignorant?

My only observation is that is that the reason his body was repatriated is probably because he wasn't legally married - so his Thai wife had no say in the matter.

32 minutes ago, Deepinthailand said:

I was respond in  to your several posts saying you have to have 400000 in bank numerous times you said it but didn't  bother trying to explain why you thought that when indeed several posters put you right. Why should I be offering condolences to someone I didn't know. I have no problems with your posts apart from they were wrong. I think you have the problem. You are now saying diffrently about this 400000 you keep bleating on about?

( why should i be offering my condolences to some one i didn,t know ) that sir tells me what kind of person you are

i will not be responding to anymore of your right or wrong dribble

If the man is married to a Thai then he is home. I don't quite understand the need to transport him back to the UK. His daughters will visit the grave for a couple of years, and then their life will go on and it'll be forgotten about. That's life ... and death, I'm afraid. 

6 hours ago, oldgent said:

( why should i be offering my condolences to some one i didn,t know ) that sir tells me what kind of person you are

i will not be responding to anymore of your right or wrong dribble

And your inability to answer simple questions based on your own input here tells me all I need to know about you and your bs posts.

He was on the run from a prison sentence in the UK and they have the nerve to beg for cash! If he had served his time he might well still be here. Ending up in a Thai ambulance (just a van) rarely saves anyone seriously ill.

On 1/24/2017 at 8:57 PM, expatoz said:

You must be getting a good pension  if your married living in Thailand and married to a Thai. That guy who passed was to young to get a pension  and must show 400, 000bt in the bank every 12 months. And, all you need is B40,000/mo pension, if married to a Thai, B65,000 if not; neither of which are extravagant pensions.

How can you say 48 is too young to get a pension--many professions allow retirement with pension at 20 years service--a US military E-7 with 20 years service gets $2300/mo (B80,000/mo) retirement and that can be as young as 38, if enlisted at 18.

On 1/24/2017 at 7:42 PM, impulse said:

Condolences to the family.

And a cautionary tale for anyone who thinks their health is going to hold them in good stead through a long (insurance free) retirement in Thailand.  

Maybe it was out of the blue, maybe the guy would still be among us had he gotten regular checkups.  And it could have been virtually any one of us.

well eventually the grim reaper will get us all.

Archived