Riding motorcycles on Bangkok's sidewalks is illegal

webfact

Riding motorcycles on sidewalks is illegal

856_Illegal.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) will erect more traffic signs saying riding motorcycles on sidewalks is illegal following safety complaints as more motorcycles are sharing the city sidewalks with pedestrians.

BMA deputy governor Pol Lt Gen Amnuay Nimmano said from recent survey of traffic on sidewalks, it showed that they are now widely used by motorcycles instead of roads.

He said most used sidewalks by motorcycles are Sukhumvit, Rama 4, Phetburi, Phaholyothin, Ratchadapisek, and Charunsanitwong.

This was a threat to the safety of pedestrians as now more people are riding on sidewalks, he said.

As a safety precaution, the BMA has now ordered all city police in 50 districts to erect more traffic signs telling motorcyclists that riding in sidewalks is illegal.

After the erection of these signs, but riding motorcycles still are seen on sidewalks, or people still file complaints of illegal riding with photos of violations attached,  then city police will face transfer for negligence of duty, he said.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/riding-motorcycles-sidewalks-illegal/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-01-24

Quote 'city police will face transfer for negligence of duty, he said' - this is the problem in the Land of Smiles - there is no deterrent in the form of punishment of Police for neglect of duty nor worthwhile deterrent for law breakers. Inactive posts appear to be positions in the RTP as very few take any action of consequence. Having said that, I live here of my own volition and accept that Thailand is different; why should I criticise a country where I pay no taxes, have no mandate and enjoy the climate, the food and the relative peace.

46 minutes ago, clifric said:

Quote 'city police will face transfer for negligence of duty, he said' - this is the problem in the Land of Smiles - there is no deterrent in the form of punishment of Police for neglect of duty nor worthwhile deterrent for law breakers. Inactive posts appear to be positions in the RTP as very few take any action of consequence. Having said that, I live here of my own volition and accept that Thailand is different; why should I criticise a country where I pay no taxes, have no mandate and enjoy the climate, the food and the relative peace.

I live here for work and pay a lot of taxes of which I don't really seem to see any benefit from. Motorcycles on the sidewalk really gees me up especially as they don't ride slowly and are a danger to my children. I therefore feel quite ok criticizing the country and people that think this is ok.

OB

Interesting, a couple of weeks ago i was walking up Sukhumvit on the even numbered side around nana BTS, I was pipped from behind by an impatient motorcycle trying to pass me. When I stopped and turned it was a policeman on a police bike who then told me to get out of his way.

cops are just too <deleted> lazy to get out of their air con box to walk 50 meteres, signs were put up saying fines of 5000 baht, just stand at the end of rama 4 sukhumvit road before the lights, no one takes a blind bit of notice, i got off the bus and 12 scooters went by me on the pavement.i pointed to the huge sign,  empty brains stared back at me.like , get out of my way, the pavement is mine, needs to start slapping them with fines. there is plenty of room to filter on the road.

Saw the sidewalk police stop a motorcycle on the sidewalk on Sukhumvit just before soi 10 today. Was delivering to one of the tailors along there and made him leave immediately. Another one just getting on sidewalk at soi 10 turned around when he saw it.

TH 

2 hours ago, clifric said:

You pay tax most times you buy something. 

2 hours ago, Seismic said:

Interesting, a couple of weeks ago i was walking up Sukhumvit on the even numbered side around nana BTS, I was pipped from behind by an impatient motorcycle trying to pass me. When I stopped and turned it was a policeman on a police bike who then told me to get out of his way.

Almost every morning, I see a cop from the local police station riding his motorcycle on the footpath and on the wrong side of the road.

He is too lazy to cross the road to drive on the correct side for about 300 metres before tuning right.

Great article on this in the Bangkok Post today.  Can't put a link here, but look for "policing pavements no easy task." 

Interesting that it says for districts receiving more than 2 complaints, action will be taken against the officials in charge of that area.  So, have your wife call in and complain!  I'd be nice if anybody who knows that number can post it here.

What hypocrisy! So many pedestrians in the road, crossing it at the wrong places etc etc. And who gets the blame when they are hit....jonny motorbike rider. Now that the vendors are mostly moved out the BMA should put bike lanes on the sidewalks, and make sure the pedestrians stick to their side...or else. 

It was happening 20 years ago and will be happening on another 20 years.
Countries like the UK introduce laws and in the end they are followed. Thailand never. Don't forget the meaning of Thailand. 'Freedom' That and the live and let live attitude here together with ' never mind' Been here 20 odd years and in MHO its got worse
What does that tell us?

Sent from my i-mobile_i-STYLE_219 using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

Just wondering....... If I push over a motorbike rider as he passes me, and he gets injured, what recourse would he/she have.  ( Short of shooting me or knifing me!)  Maybe we should bring go-pro cameras to the hot spots in Bangkok, record the drivers and their license plate numbers, then post the videos on social media.  This is probably a better option than causing direct injury to them.... but wait.....  what recourse do I have if they hit me, injure me, then ride away into the crowds???

They're only just catching on to this? Really?

So now we're 'sharing' the pavement with motorcyclists, as opposed to the motorcyclists forcing their way through pedestrians who have the right of way - the only ones with right of way, as far as motorcyclists are concerned.

And these signs are the BMA's latest bid to deal with the problem? I'm sure that even the ignorant motorcyclists are well aware that it is illegal. If not, time for a crash course in road law and a suspended licence until they pass a fresh test. Fat chance of any of it happening, however, especially when even the BiB ride their motorcycles on the pavement.

Either the BMA addresses it helmeted-head-on, with maximum fines for every single rider caught, including the BiB (that'll fill the coffers), or simply stop wasting time and energy it can ill afford.

28 minutes ago, lamecn said:

Where I live on Phattanakan Rd.,motorcycles drive 20 m on the sidewalk to avoid a detour of 3.2 km to make a U-turn. Excessive fuel consumption and air pollution! Better road planning could make a difference!

Why don't they drive the 20m the wrong way on the road instead of the sidewalk?  Saves excessive fuel consumption and pollution.  Why?  Because it is dangerous - the motorcycle may get hit by a car.  Much better (in their minds) to drive on the sidewalk, where the only danger is that the motorcycle may hit a pedestrian.  In other words, it is completely selfish behaviour.

Omg i am a laughing so much. You think the cops will enforce this rule. my god they ride up the wrong way on a street with no lights. They carry 4 people on a bike They dont wear  a helmet so you think they going to pay any attention to this rule Oh stop it comedy show is over Go for it guys the footpath is yours

Archived