Online campaign kicked off to liberate craft beer making

snoop1130

Online campaign kicked off to liberate craft beer making

By The Nation

bc9813ceb6eb33ef6e005308e874e325.jpeg

An arrest of a law graduate who made his own beer for self-consumption and sale led to heated online debates and a campaign on Change.org for the authorities to liberate craft beer making.

Thaopipop Limjitkorn, 28, was arrested over the weekend after Excise Department officials raided his three-storey shop house and found tools for making craft beer.

The man, who graduated from a law school, said he loved beer so he invented his own formula for making good-taste craft beer. He decided to bottle them for sale after his friends said they also loved the taste.

Full Story: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/breakingnews/30304806

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-1-24

Can. Not! No. Good!
Him Thai. Him drink Leo, Chang, Singha.
If him middle class + him allowed to drink Heineken.
If him hiso-medium him allowed to drink Hoegaarden.

If him hiso-big him allowed *everything* 555

Hope they open more the doors for newcomers.
Diversity, especially with the current bland beer from the Thai Oligopol, would do well for a change of taste.
But the powerful oligopolists, will not leave any space for beer innovations.
Enjoy the present triple piss.

23 minutes ago, Tilacme said:

Whenever I tried home brewing in the uk, the results were not great, however it should be a basic human right to make your own beer for your own home.

"...basic human rights". So you live in the UK? We are talking about Thailand here! 

47 minutes ago, Tilacme said:

Whenever I tried home brewing in the uk, the results were not great, however it should be a basic human right to make your own beer for your own home.

I had plenty homebrown beers in Europe which were much better than the Thai brewed headaches.

It's ridiculous they have to import good beer from Europe and even more ridiculous we (me included) want to pay the skyhigh prices for it.

It tells a lot about the beerquality of Chang, Singha, and the lot.

This homebrewer gets my vote, we need more homebreweries, not only for beer but maybe also mangowine or cornwhisky or some jungleberry-liquor...

But Thai are not creative at all and they are suppressed by the big boys who have the market and law.

I do see lao kao for sale on the streets in bkk though but i won't drink it.

Strangely enough, it is much easier to get a license to distill clear alcohol, which if done improperly can be lethal, than the the much more benign brewing process used for beer.

But then Mr. Beer Chang is Thailand's richest businessman, per Forbes magazine, so he must be right.

Beer in Thailand is boringly average and a bit over priced.  You can get German beer in China for less than what you can locally made Thai Heineken.    Not allowing your citizens to prosper in favor of supporting a couple of elitist families is just immoral.  This is just a shining example of elitist entitlements.      And who wouldn't love to compete with the family of Chitpas Bhirombhakdi, the beer heiress ?  NYT did a nice piece on her in 2014. 

Sad thing here is Thailand is really missing a fine opportunity.

Just imagine OTOP - instead of wicker basket, wood carvings, honey and fishermen trousers etc. Imagine OTOP beer - a different beer for each province; hand crafted and made, unique to each province. Now that would be a great tourism tour !!!

And the slogan - A taste of Thailand!!

59 minutes ago, jonclark said:

Sad thing here is Thailand is really missing a fine opportunity.

Just imagine OTOP - instead of wicker basket, wood carvings, honey and fishermen trousers etc. Imagine OTOP beer - a different beer for each province; hand crafted and made, unique to each province. Now that would be a great tourism tour !!!

And the slogan - A taste of Thailand!!

A man with vision.

Obviously some savvy underling/family member at ThaiBev or Boon Rawd would be wise to embrace this trend by encouraging local craft brewing: invest, purchase, market, etc.

I mean it's nothing new; the world's drinks conglomerates have been doing this for ages.

One thing I miss here is the craft beers back home. Great variety and unique flavors and lot to choose from. Too bad Thailand doesn't allow these cottage industry's here. They are really missing the boat on this.

Archived